EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Reducing costs edition. Are they worth a slot in the 99? What ones do you play?

Previous
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/experiment-kombo/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-06-16-BVv-omnath-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-great-cycle-v20/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-minute-turns/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/enchanted-afternoon/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/krenko-mob-boss-03-08-13-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Any predictions on colorless Eldrazi from the new set? We know we're getting a minimum of 5 more. Will you be using them (assuming their effects work in line with Emerakul's mechanics?)

Personally, I run a colorless Eldrazi deck with newlamog as my commander. I'm stoked to finally have Emmy in my deck too. I have some processors wasting space in my deck, so I hope these new Eldrazi can take their place.

I use pic related in my Kalemne deck along with urza's incubator. I need to cast in fatties not cheat them in so it helps a ton. My friends and I are super kitchen casual though so my decks are far from optimized.

Anyone got some Super Spicy Secret Tech™ in UW

So how does Delve on Tasigur and commander tax? Can I delve that away?

Yes.

Looking for some help with my Experiment Kraj deck. Need to cut it down, by like, a lot. I know there's a few things that are fairly unnecessary, but I kinda like all the pieces in it and I'm not sure what to pull.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/experiment-kombo/

Cut Chord of Calling for Green Sun Zenith. You're not gonna convoke much unless your meta dosnt run a ton of removal/wipes.

Consider adding Verdant Confluence.

Whats Spectral Searchlight doing for you that you need it?

Horseshoe crab could be cut, but I do like it.

I don't know if you really need Sakura-Tribe Elder. Your draw should get you plenty of lands plus you have other searches.

Triskelion is gonna be underwhelming unless he can get a hell of a lot of counters.

Whats with Ulvenwald Tracker being in there?

Have you considered Champion of Lambholt?

Anyways just some thoughts I had as I looked over your list. Looks like a pretty fun deck, cheers.

Need some advice for my Omnath, Locus of Mana deck. First time building a deck. Any staples I should I add to this baby?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-06-16-BVv-omnath-edh/

Seedborn Muse and Vorinclex if you want your table to hate you.

>Vorinclex
Not that user, but how do you rationalize spending $20+ dollars for a card?

How do you rationalize paying eighty for denim jeans?

How does anybody rationalize any cost? They want it.

Vorinclex isn't 80 dolla.. oh. 20? He wasn't twenty that long ago.

>he doesn't have a single card worth more than $20
Come on user, you're posting in money-pit general, we all have foil Force of WIlls and Goyfs.

Vorinclex tends to draw more hate than he's worth. Unless your table is MLD-proof, everyone will want him gone, and will want you gone before you can T&N some other assholish bullshit into play.

>thinking $20 is expensive for a card in any format

You're asking this in a thread for EDH, the official format of conspicuous consumption?

How expensive is too expensive then?I don't pay $80 for denim.
I usually only pay 20+ for a card as a special occasion.

>How expensive is too expensive?
Let me put it this way, I'm considered extremely casual and my collection is worth $1500ish. For a fun night, I routinely spend $60 just to DRAFT Eternal Masters. I'm not even guaranteed anything good, just pure random chance to have fun.

Buying singles is a much more intelligent investment.

EMA is a 40 dollar draft man, you got ripped off. Hell, I got ripped for for 40 bucks. Still had fun.

Anyone else voltron master race up in hurr?

I mean I don't mind spending money incrementally on my decks. Spending a lot of money at once is something I'm opposed to though. Maybe that's just me being really frugal though

It's 60 canadabux because eternal masters packs are $16 dollars each, or 3 for $45 before tax. We play prize per win, so if you go 4-0-0 you wind up with $60 in prizes, not including what you pulled from the 3 draft packs you get.

The point is, $20 on a magic card is small time. I picked up Elesh Norn yesterday and didn't really think about it because it was under $50.

For my indes Avacyn and Young Atarka tribal decks.

See, I have a crippling gambling addiction and I'd much rather throw money at magic than pro-line or the racetrack near me. At least this way, even if I spend $60 on a fat pack, I maybe have a chance at getting some money back and having some fun, instead of immediately burning my money with nothing to show for it but a hangover.

Twenty bucks is usually about my limit on a single card. I spend loads of money on MTG, but if a card in my collection is more than 20, I am looking to move it.

Oh, haha, canada money. Ours also ended up being single elim, one pack per win in terms of prize support. Ah well.

how does this deck look? i would like some feedback please. pic unrelated

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-great-cycle-v20/

Is there more to black than just saccing creatures for effects?

Black also has Gary Merchant and Exsanguinate for big numbers.

Trying to build an enchantress commander deck.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-minute-turns/

Don't be silly, Ashnod's Altar is colorless.

Phyrexian Arena.

What black man would be good for voltron?

Its Bant, but Drogskol Reaver + Horizon Chimera = a Doomsday-less Lab Maniac Combo

I have Etherium Sculptor in my Azami deck. It's really good when you drop it early.

Only one of the best voltron generals period.

>finally get around to making an edh deck
>open up my collection
>I have a grand total of 4 legends not currently in use by my other decks
>sliver queen sans slivers
>patron of the nezumi with like, 5 rats
>Lavinia of the Tenth
>Pic related
>go with mageta
>make wonky mono-white flying pillow fort with like, 8 different versions of pacify
Should I even bother trying to play it or should I just go buy a starter edh deck

Necropotence.

My first deck was Lavinia, people might look at you funny but she plays great with flicker spamming.

I like his original arab-esque art.

I meant mono-black general not that asshole

I guess if you're gonna be a bore, go for Drana, Kalestria Blood Chief.

Is it worth running possibility storm in a malestrom wanderer deck? My gut says no, but with other things that have cascade, it could be valuable. That being said, a focus on scrying seems kind of like a no brainer.

I have a friend with a mageta deck. It is pretty shit. It can boardwipe if it gets card draw, but it's hard in white as you probably know. He would probably be better if he was tuned to voltron, but hes white so thats pretty shit too. If I were you I would just buy a precon. They're pretty balanced and you can trade out cards one at a time to your liking. Its a great way to start in edh.

>cutting Chord
>ever

Here's the thing about Chord: it's an instant. Convoke or not, being able to tutor a creature into play at instant speed is too good to pass up especially in UG. In the deck posted, he can grab Venser/Snake to counter, Ingester for Removal, Vigor in response to something like Blasphemous Act, or Spike Weaver for a Fog. Plus, he can get clones, he can end of turn tutor for Sage of Hours for the win, or grab Plaxcaster for protection ect.
GSZ is a good card, but it only tutors green creatures. I think he should run both, but I wouldn't cut Chord for it.

I think you should run Deadeye Navigator and Glenn Elendra Archmage if you can afford it. Palinchron wouldn't hurt either. It's a wincon and can protect your commander in a pinch with the activated.

Rafiq bores me because he's so good.

Mirri the Cursed is a fantastic black voltron. Evasion, First Strike, Haste, and gets bigger on her own.

Again, the reason I said he should cut the chord is because, in my experience playing cards with convoke, if his meta is good with removal he wont often get to convoke. You gonna hard cast those creatures you listed plus 3 green just to counter or bounce? He may get some intended use out of it, but I kinda doubt it.

Convoke is basically flavor text on that card. The extra two green is for instant speed and for the ability to grab nongreen creatures.

>is it worth having none card that can potentially bounce, remove, protect, counter, and/or draw a bunch of cards?

Really? You are the first person I have ever seen who is against chord. gets it. You're paying a small tax for instant speed and versatility with the potential to have the cost significantly reduced. If you have even 2 creatures, they cost the same. You don't have to have 20 creatures on the table.

If I don't spend it on cards I'll spend it on booze.

oof, that one hit a little close to home

>tfw am Japanese so can't drink hard liquor
feels bad man

Just do what I do, trade away standard pulls for store credit, burn all your store credit on booze because the shop opened a bar.

How many artifacts do you run? I considered it for my own Azami deck but I only run 11 artifacts and some are 0 mana so I wasn't sure

He's not that good, he has high damage output but no natural evasion or protection

I would say his best feature is his GOAT color identity

Idk what kind of weird ass meta you have where people are doom blading your wood elves and rec sages, but Convoke is in no way useless because of removal

>not doomblading wood elves
It's like you want the big mana G/X deck to reach lategame as soon as possible.

I bet you're one of those people who think killing a creature with an ETB effect counters the ETB effect.

I'm sure you're just pretending to be retarded :^)

I only play Helm of Awakening for the Helm+Future Sight+Top combo because I'm a monster. In my experience, cost reducers are only really good in combo decks, or if they're attached to other beneficial effects like the warchiefs (or if they're broken like Animar).

I already explained my logic. If you think spending removal to ensure someone doesn't have nine mana by turn five is a waste you are beyond help.

In my experience cost reducers are always amazing but only if they are asymmetrical in favor of you, and only if they apply to the vast majority of your spells

Medallions in mono decks? Amazing

Herald of the pantheon in enchantress? Amazing

Mizzix? Amazing

Animar? Amazing

I suppose rakdos lord of riots breaks that trend though, because of the work you have to put in to him, the results are powerful but he's too finicky to be really good

What the fuck do you think Wood Elves does? You can't stop the ETB by killing it you fucking retard. You can only stop it with Torpor Orb or stifle effects.

Wew lads. I think he might actually be retarded.

How exactly does using Doom Blade on Wood Elves prevent anyone from reaching 9 mana?

Shit, I thought it was Llanowar elf variant. I am actually retarded.

Thoughts on Silverskin Armor in a Slobad deck? It makes him able to save himself when I make a Nev Disk Indestructible repeatedly or just Jokulhaups/Obliterate. Will he still be indestructible if he stops being an artifact?

I figured that might have happened, we all fuck up sometimes. At least you were mature enough to admit you fucked up instead of pretending you were trolling all along.

Giant tribal seems fun. Post a list?

>He's too much of a pussy to play creatures
>"They might get doom bladed!"

Dirty blue. Red or dead, motherfucker

Not exactly sure what you're question is but

Slobad can give himself indestructible until end of turn, even if he stops being an artifact before end of turn

Old Omnath pro, here.

Cut Helix Pinnacle. Don't be that guy. You're playing the best Mono-Green commander, have a little pride.

It's a bit of an investment, but you will NOT regret getting a Sylvan Library. If you're feeling really squirrelly, grab an Abundance to go with it. If you have both of them out you draw three cards a turn, no draw back, land or non-land. It's tits.

Unless you're doing elf-tribal, replace the mana dorks with land fetch, except for Karametra's Acolyte. If you ARE playing elf-tribal, just make Ezuri your general.

Why do you have a Vivid Grove?

I see you've got stuff in there to protect Omnath, and you're on the right track, but may I suggest something other than the standard suite f equipments: Things that let you cast Omnath at instant speed. Vedalken Orrery, Alluren, Winding Canyons. Mana should not be a problem for you.

None of these things are too expensive. Good luck out there.

where do you guys build your decks before buying the cards?

Why do people always underrate mana dorks?

Playing 3 drops on turn 2 is very powerful

Tappedout

Are you sure you aren't talking to ?

They aren't all bad, but I'd just rather have land fetch. Lands are just harder to get rid of. Creatures are the easiest permanent type to kill. Plus, it thins your deck out in a color that doesn't have a lot of card draw. It's a personal preference. I DO run mana dorks, Just not in my Omnath deck.

Shit. Yeah. Whoops.

God, id be in the even poorer house if I had a store like that.

The obvious exception being Karametra's Acolyte because she's hot shit.

Uril Aura Voltron seems fun. Anyone have any experience?

Land fetch is more powerful, that's why it costs more mana, personally I like to have ramp at every cmc 1, 2, 3, and 4, and I guess 5 too if you count mirari's wake and such

At 1cmc you can play search for tomorrow but other than that, you're mostly limited to mana dorks

Yes, it's fun but has the problem of being oppressively strong in 1v1 at times yet struggles in multiplayer

Here's my list

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/enchanted-afternoon/

Sol Ring, Search for Tomorrow, Burgeoning, exploration, GSZ into Dryad Arbor. Plenty of stuff.

Plus, I'm not too worried about he first 4 turns or so.

Just added all your cards to the list. Thanks so much for the advice. Due to Sylvan Library's cost I'll probably end up buying it later as an upgrade but for now that looks good. Any other upgrade cards I should keep an eye out for?

Didn't think of burgeoning or exploration

Those are definitely good, but only if you have lots of card draw in my opinion

Not a fan of gsz into dryad arbor unless you have a lot of Regrowth effects

Vorinclex is worth it, fuck the haters. Frontier Siege is ridiculous. Mirri's Guile is very nearly a divining top. You'll wind up dumping your hand a lot with all that mana, so anything that can draw you cards is great, especially if it's getting you cards for stuff you already do like playing creatures or lands. Soul of the Harvest is a great card drawer on a big body, Zendikar Resurgent gets you cards and buffs your mana production (and 7 mana is a breeze in this deck), Seer's Sundial has done some serious work in my deck and Tireless Tracker is my secret weapon. Even a Harmonize is a great addition.

Gotta have that card draw, son. See for secret tech.

Volrath.
Discard Draco to one shot people, and use enchantments like Strands of Night to reanimate things on the fly including self-shuffling cards like Ulamog, Kozilek and Blightsteel Colossus.
Use cards like Rogue's Passage, Whispersilk Cloak and Dragon's Shadow to get around blockers to pound face.

Oh honey, I'm about to make your night. Go read the last line of GSZ. Go ahead, I'll wait.

24 Artifacts.

Well, built 2 decks today even though I don't think my group wants tin play with me anymore. I've played once in the past 2 months, and I know they're still playing.

Oh well.

I need to fix up my Krenko deck. What can I do?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/krenko-mob-boss-03-08-13-1/

Found the Stax player

Is it still a 'hug' edh deck if you start bleeding everyone half way through?

Shit dude I've been casting GSV for a while now and never shuffle it in

Wow I'm silly

Well that's quite a few, I can see how etherium sculptor would be great there

The fact that they'll sell for a hell of a lot more later.

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life.

>That feel when you GSZ, shuffle, top deck GSZ

It changes you, man.

Never played Stax. In fact, I took apart my decks when they got too oppressive even though I had to play against decks that cost more than I paid for my car. You know, mana drain, crypt vault, force, Pact, ABU Duels ect.

I have a Volrath deck I'm working on. Essentially, run fatties, some evasion granting, little bit of recursion, and then just ramp and wipes.

I mean that particular scenario sounds nice, but it's actually a downside for me since I run so many Regrowth effects

I've been cheating