Cape Creation General and Worldbuilding

Welcome to the thread dedicated Superhero TTRPGs!

Discussion on all systems is welcome and here's our link collection for a handful of different ones
>pastebin.com/bkpp0z2t

In the previous wave of threads, we have started an outpouring of worldbuilding for a "Cape World" setting, although the flood has since calmed down so don't be afraid to ask for help with your own setting.
Some stuff has been collected into pastebins
>pastebin.com/5EyFqXgD
while the general total has been archived on suptg under assortment of tags, most reliable search is by the following:
>suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Cape
Topic starter: what's the status on super science in your setting is it wide spread, barely there or is it damn near magic? who are the tony starks, hank Pym's and lex luthor's in your setting?

Don't forget to add Kentucky Rain and Connecting-Cut to the list of in-depth Statesmen write ups.

>Status of Super Science
Personally I've always wanted to see a cave-man setting with super heroes. It's the stone age and people start developing super powers. Maybe there are even kaiju dinosaurs and super powered homo erectus and neanderthal?

Geeze, these threads usually don't just die like this. I wonder what's wrong?

well without cape world to talk about and ignite everyone's creativity, these treads just barely make it though the week.

Superscience as such doesn't really exist, it's more like regular tech that operates only within the area of altered physics that surrounds a certain type of super. Eg, a superhero might have a camera that captures auras, but it only works because that hero emits a field that makes morphic resonance real within its boundaries.

Neat. Reminds me of a "Walt Disney meets Howard Hughes". The guy can make future tech, literally pull stuff out out of his dreams, but they only work in close proximity to himself.

He constructs a Tomorrow-Land style city to further develop his dream technology and find ways to use it to make "real" technology. He populates his city with the best and brightest.

In modern Cape World times some of his tech suffers from "zeerust" as "real" tech overtakes it. For instance he never dreamed up smart phones and their uses, the people of his city traditionally used less efficient "vid watches".

To further discussion on Cape World, last thread discussed the Grays and their UFOs as being the Celestials/Watches of the Cape World universe. Any ideas for cosmic level heroes? I remember a really neat idea a few threads back about a Superman that drew more from Tarzan than John Carter. The rocket leaves not-Krypton, but stalls an dies in space. The baby Superman is still a Superman though and survives and learns to live Tarzan style among space whales and living nebulas.

He could be a good character, not really fitting in on any planet and seeing things from a different perspective. Dancante's people could regard him as a tall tale, a legendary figure.

So, Cosmic character ideas anyone?

so I had a idea for a super scientist hero I wanted to spin by you guys.
I call her professor clown. feel free to suggest a better name.
she's a genius engineer and scientist well know for her anti gravity boots and kinetic batteries. thing is, almost everyone of her inventions started as a toy design.
the anti gravity boots are a massive upgrade of moon boots and the kinetic batteries, which can power a large house for a week get charged by unplugging them and using them as a pair of jump rope.
her back story is sort of like hank's from this comic but instead she took the middle road when her aunt died and made useful stuff that could make people happy at the same time, making her fortune by opening a toy company and selling her amazing inventions. while she's not officially a superhero, she is know to help out either as a tech support or combatant when things get hairy. makes it her personal mission to get some of the more dark and grim superheroes to smile once in their lives.

Well I had a idea for a hero a while back who found as do it yourself spaceship kit from some super advanced alien race who used it to go on space adventres and picking up a crew similarly to how luffy does it in One Piece.
Maybe you can tie it into the stuff about the grey's ships and have his ship be a greyless ship?

>He uses a greyless ship
...That's actually a really cool idea.

Maybe it's like a newborn UFO and the hero assembling it was the final steps to "wake it up". Normally a team of greys and other UFOs finish assembling a new UFO, but this time it was a human. It was separated from the UFO nebula after a micro-civil war (they have those sometimes when the greys can't keep the peace during a heated dispute)..

I like it. Toys is a theme that bad guys seem to have a monopoly on. Toy Man, Arcade, Joker, etc. It's nice to see a heroine with it.

Maybe call her Action Figure?

got a idea for a big cosmic player.
>the oldest man in the universe
born of a species long extinct this unassuming man has untold secrets of the universe that if spoken would rip apart the fabric of galactic society, thankfully he's so damn old he barely remembers half of them.
yes he's getting old and he's more then happy with it, nowadays he spends his time crossing off items in his space bucket list and playing shuffle board.
one should do well however to not anger him as in his body he has enough bioware to destroy large countries and that's not getting into his fleet of automated ships.
he has a young son with the queen of a large space empire who he plans to give his fleet and fortune to once he finally kicks the bucket.
mostly go by the nickname "old man" as his true name is near impossible to say.
>Action Figure?
I'd prefer something science sounding.

So I was thinking on a Cape setting that's more post-apocalyptic in the sense that one or a few of those world-ending/altering Villian plots actually succeeded. My point is, what are some interesting apocalypse tier events for such a setting?

>interesting apocalypse tier events for such a setting?
I'm assuming that you mean what kick-started the apocalypse then events after.
>the villains weather control device went off without a hitch
now the world is under the control of a madman who barely understands how weather works and that when you mess with it, it tends to fight back.
>the Old Man Logan scenario where the villains all teamed up and killed all the superheroes.
this ones ripe for plots, player are the few remaining survivors of the superwar or they're their children or they completely unrelated and just want to survive. the inter villain wars would be a gold mine for campaigns alone.
>earths heroes couldn't fight back the alien invasion of the week this time.
for extra alien fun have the occupying aliens get attacked by some other alien race and now the players have to avoid the cross fire.

>so damn old he barely remembers half of them

The PCs are a team of intergalatic psychics and telepaths recruited by the UFO people. A great disaster is coming to the universe, and only the old man knows how to stop-unfortunately, he can't remember what to do.

Are you a bad enough dude to descend into a mind older than galactic empires to save the universe?

>more science sounding

She's powered by kinetic batteries, so maybe Dr. Dynamo?

The last crisis-level event killed all but the 10 percent of humanity the few surviving super beings managed to save by pooling their resources.

Lots of people, lot of room. Give it a sort of space-western Trigun feel.The world is recovering but with few super humans surviving the crisis its a lawless world in need of new superhumans.

So my players are in the ECHO (East Coast Hero's Organization) 76th Branch. They meet in conference room three of the civic center on Wednesdays at 7pm, right after Alcoholic's Anonymous.

The line up for non-player heroes is as follows:
>Puppet Patriot
A muppet actually controlled by three guys in black morph suits, dressed like Uncle Sam.
>The Delivery Boys
A duo of former UPS workers in their brown UPS van, use gadgets taken from undelivered packages
>ARM STRONG
103 year old super soldier that served in WWII, he's senile.
>Road Ronin
White guy with a Japanese made motorcycle, trench coat, and katana
>Skeleton Manny
Italian mobster skeleton
>Titanium Templar
Giant guy in a power suit riding a horse, who is also in a power suit.
>Salary Slasher
Former door to door cutlery salesman turned armed vigilante

Do these sound reasonable?

Sounds like what superheroes are meant to be

>the villains weather control device went off without a hitch
I like this one quite a bit. Unnatural weather that seems to have an animal intelligence to it at times. It would make alot of things we depend on to keep the modern world running difficult to say the least.

>Lots of people, lot of room. Give it a sort of space-western Trigun feel.The world is recovering but with few super humans surviving the crisis its a lawless world in need of new superhumans.
That's actually what I was looking to emulate. New shit around every corner and lots to take for anyone with the power. Super or otherwise.

I'm still looking for an event that kills most of the planets humans though. The first event though is when the planets flora and fauna is changed permanently into mega versions of themselves via the ultimate plot of a Eco/Bio-terrorist supervillain. Think poison ivy but he preaches the superiority of the entire natural world and thinks humanity's reliance on technology is wrong.

My only idea for an event that just plain kills everyone is a planet wide psychic link gone horrifically wrong.

I like it.

they should have sent a poet.

So about EXTRAHUMAN and his UFO. I'm thinking about taking some suggestions in this thread and making the first race in the universe the UFOS. They're Star Trek style energy beings that altered themselves to accommodate the second race of the universe-the greys. Think of a god that you could live inside and would take care of you and take you on adventures across the universe, and in return you and your race serve as intermediaries and negotiators as they debate over what to do with all the other quickly growing races of the universe.

I like the idea that the reason they don't get involve in things is because they need a two thirds majority. Its a neat reason that doesn't feel cliche, and them voting by changing their color to white or black fits with the theme of the greys being go-betweens.

Living UFO's good or not? I can make it so that the UFOs aren't living if that's better.

pretty good stuff.

The only "superscience" in my setting comes from an underwater civilization, Lemuria. They're about three hundred years ahead of surface technology. Because Lemuria is extremely isolationist, the surface world has very limited access to Lemurian science and technology. the only real contact is Lemurian pirates who raid the surface world, but the only technology the pirates have is extremely outdated (though still years ahead of surface technology). There's a villain (ex-hero) called Moth who has a suit (like an Iron Man suit) she took from Lemurian pirates.

Those all sound very lacking in reason, and you should definitely stick to them. That's a wonderful lineup you have there, user.

so /ccg/ let's play a little game to help get creative juices flowing.
I'm going to pick a superpower and the next person will write backstory for a hero or villain with that power, bonus points if you can do both. and when they're done they'll pick a new power for some else to write about.

>the power you will write about it is: turning into a donkey.

Sancho: Professional side kick. He's hire to look after eccentric and potentially destructive super humans while they do their things.

He makes sure the Ticks and Reed Richards of the worlds don't hurt anybody or themselves.

New Power: Merge with machines.

Tetsuo, a Mexican-American car-based superhero who uses his powers to, basically, turn whatever vehicle he gets in into a Transformer. He patrols both sides of the border for drug trafficking and related crimes, but is at loggerheads with the U.S. Border Patrol because he refuses to help deport illegal immigrants.
The name is a reference to Akira, because he is semi-secretly a giant nerd.

New power: Control radio waves.

>Turns into donkey
>Side kick

Radio Star, once a famous and wealthy musician who fell into obscurity with the advent of video. Some time after this descent from relevancy he is found to be capable of controlling and emitting radio waves, a power he uses to force radios to play his songs and mess with a television's ability to play video.

Slightly darker path could be to make his powers grow over time, coincidentally as his fame and preferred media declines. His powers grow to the point that he is capable of breaking or otherwise messing with electronics, and can even emit harmful wavelengths to harm humans.

Much darker path could be to make his powers harmful to himself. Either as a side effect of the first idea of JUST radiowaves, or as a diluted backfire of the harmful waves, his powers are harming him. He goes from a novel annoyance to a deranged, vengeful and dangerous villain because he knows his time is short and he wants to take video out with him.

New power: Telepathic communication and/or control of birds.

radiohead, a former disk jockey who was fired for sleeping with the station owners wife. he ruined the station by messing with the radio waves until they where unlistenable.
nowadays he runs a illegal radio station called Crimewave, a sort of talk show where he interviews both famous and up and coming supervillains, has serial killers and assassins debate on the best ways to dispose a body, gives out death trap of the week awards and of course play pirated music.
plus if you pay him 50 bucks he'll mess with the cops radios to help you get away.
new power: infinite ammo but with a twist, the bullets he makes can't harm people

>Telepathic communication and/or control of birds

A mysterious villain who goes by the name Hitchcock, rarely seen in person and communicates with subordinates through remotely controlled parrots. Prefers to harass an enemy with a campaign of spying and poop-related inconveniences before setting them up for a fatal bird-related accident. Once brought down a plane by flying a flock of seagulls into its engines.

New power: Can make a single body part gigantic (and superstrong and -tough) at a time.

ARMSTRONG! Once a mild-mannered hypercompetitive pro athlete, he got his powers through rampant abuse of massively experimental super-steroids. Kicked out of the league for cheating and humiliated, he has turned to superheroics as a way to restore his reputation, his career, and his million-dollar salary. Although generally disliked by his teammates for his hyper-competitive attitude and relentless self-promotion, none can deny his aptitude for leaping across the battlefield in a single bound, tackling his opponent, and then pounding them into the dirt with ruthless efficiency.

New power: ability to manipulate (but not generate) lasers.

a famous reporter Daniel drive did lots of crazy stunts to try and earn the love of Amazing man, her city's hero. one of these stunts left her with the power to control and see though birds eyes.
once she became Amazing mans girlfriend, she thought her life was going to be just perfect.... until she found him sleeping with marvel maiden.
she then drove amazing man out of the city using her bird powers to dig up every other piece of his dirty secrets.
this caused her to city's crime to sky rocket without it's hero to protect it. feeling guilty for what she did, she became the cities new hero.

many years later she's one of the oldest still active superheroes and affectingly called the crazy bird lady for the stunts she's pulled in her career. she's currently mentoring Amazing man's son, marvel boy who took his mothers hero name due to issues with his father.

new power: halo style energy shield

The PR department insists that he's RAMRAID, but to his friends and co-workers he's Sgt. Gabriel Garcia, Morton County SWAT. Having gained his powers in an assault on a mad scientists' lair gone wrong, he uses his abilities to do his old job, but /better/- as the only person on the team who's genuinely bulletproof, he's the first in and last out on every mission.
He's starting to resent it, actually; bulletproof or not, the stress of being the teams' designated meat-shield is starting to wear on him.

New power: overwhelming aura of intimidation.

a vigilante well known for fighting villains way above him in power and his own blood thirst, the hound began to develop a aura of fighting sprit that when turned on causes the fight of flight instinct to trigger in other people and overwhelm those without strong wills, many of whom have similar auras of their own.

new power: emitting non harmful light

so to add some variety to the tread, how do the supers in your setting get in touch with each other for team ups?