/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Balanced lands that make more than 1 mana edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/92797265743/do-you-expect-to-ever-start-using-base-power-and
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/146189505998/can-black-border-care-about-a-creatures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Would a card like this be balanced? Or would the effect be too underwhelming for the cost?

These are both hilariously broken. Also, the wording on Changeling's Vengeance is wrong in numerous places

How is changeling's vengeance broken?

Star-Lord. While I did enjoy the movie, I'm a bit peeved at how the comics version of the character changed due to it. So, this version of Star-Lord is a strategist, just so we're clear.

Ugh, I really hate that mana cost. I could see it being mono-White with a generic mana cost so you can cast it with the other colors though. Oh, and the mana cost needs to be higher. Not sure on the balance, however. Maybe cut down on the colors for one. R giving Haste is a good idea, but I don't know about the rest.

Still working on this? Sorry, don't really know how to balance it.

3 mana, potentially get a huge number of tokens (which by the way need a creature type and color/colorless status) and then on top of that add a bunch of bonuses (most of which need rewording)

actually correction: only the green one needs rewording. should be "put a +1/+1 counter on those creatures," I believe. Tbh, though. I would just go back to the drawing board with that card.

Seems kind of odd. Why does it cantrip? Why last turn? Also, it should be that the OWNER shuffles it into his or her library.

The cantrip was kind of a last minute decision. Will probably change that. It doesn't say last turn, it says this turn. You're right about the owner. My mistake.

Ah, misread that, sorry.

I posted this in the last thread. After some comments there and from a friend, made a couple minor tweaks. Pretty happy with this version. (FYI: The original concept was "Brion Stoutarm, Ignited," But I changed it so I could use this art that I love, but looks nothing like Brion).

Alright. Fixed the wording, got rid of the cantrip, and lowered the cost by one, since you no longer draw. Decent? OP? UP?

Does a card like this seem playable in formats like modern or legacy?

For commander this would break the game.

Eh... Not really feeling it right now. For the first ability, I think if you changed it to +1, you could make it
>Put a 5/5 white Giant creature token onto the battlefield.
Second is OK I guess, but third is... I dunno, I feel like it's just too much. What is the flavor behind this guy, exactly? Some kinda leader?

Yeah, I think it's fine. Though since it's an Instant, I kinda want to make it
>If a creature with power 5 or greater is attacking
Like the Traps.

This seems absolutely ridiculous. It would get banned in Commander as soon as it was spoiled.

Giant King from Lorwyn. Humongous, even among Giants. Known for being able to throw other giants. That's all I've got, as he isn't part of a set or anything, just a random idea. I like the +1 idea, since the kithkin are weird, and I know the ult seems strong, so I was thinking of making them smaller giants (Maybe 4/4-6/6?)

Took some tips from the last thread and fixed this guy. Thoughts? Is he still too weak, or is he OP?

oops

Even with all the restrictions, this isn't a great idea. I believe Maro actually had a similar idea, which was ultimately replaced with Miracle. From what I heard, R&D cut it simply because it takes out a large amount of randomness from the game by guaranteeing the player something. Think about it. The only times players have an absolute guarantee on a card is in Commander and Vanguard.

At the moment your creatures attack (that is, are declared as attackers) the only possible targets for that damage will usually be your other attacking creatures, if I understand correctly. Maybe have it trigger when your creature "blocks or becomes blocked?" I understand that's pretty different in function, though.

Oh shit. How did I not even see that? Hmm, well, I guess I could split it up into two different abilities. Or just allow the ability to hit any creature, though I'm not sure about that. Thanks for pointing that out though.

For the edition.

>Amulet of Vigor

It still won't untap during your next untap step.

What do you guys think of these cards?

Hm. Sure. I can buy it. Seems worse than a Karoo usually.

I don't know if you can cast Failed Ruse without a target. Mass Downvote is clearly broken. Kappa has the wrong border and seems to aggressively costed compared to Frenzied Tilling. User is busted in any format. Echo Chamber seems fine, though its drawback doesn't make much sense in either color or function. Trump has awful wording and is undercosted.

Working on Mythics now. It's the home stretch for the set, which feels weird since I've been working on it for so long.

Anyway, Mythics are a pain in the ass to balance, so I appreciate whatever feedback you guys have.

I think this card can easily cost just W/B.

Mass Downvote needs to target before the downvote counter goes on a target, so it can't just destroy any permanent. Echo Chamber flavorwise is supposed to demonstrate people believing anything without question and suppressing any dissent. I don't see the problem with the other cards though.

It would be amazing in a +1/+1 counter heavy format.

>2UU: Draw two
How about no?

Arcanis has T: Draw three. Multiple draws on a body can be balanced. What would you suggest for the cost?

Tapping is far more restrictive though. I think the first ability should be redesigned. Please tell me want you want the card to do, both by itself and when interacting with other cards in your set, and be as detailed as possible. If you have cards you want it to work well with (official or custom), post them as well (as one big image, using PhotoJoiner).

Finn Drel, etc 2UU
3/3
When ~ etbs, draw a card.
Whenever a creature is exiled, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
UUU: Exile target creature.

I know how to use photojoiner, user, I've been around for a minute.
>What I want the card to do
That's pretty simple. I want it to be tied thematically to the themes of the block, and I want it to complete this character's arc, which started in the last set. So, exile matters, pursuit of knowledge at all costs, etc. Functionally, I want it to be able to draw cards and affect the boardstate in a way that feels interesting and "mythic."
That's a really interesting idea, Kazy. I might use that, thanks.

This is a really neat idea, but strikes me as too cheap for a colorless wrath.

Unfortunately, objects don't have a base power or toughness characteristic. That terminology is only used as a p/t changing effect.

Yeah, Kazy's idea is really good. Though it should probably be
>Whenever a creature card is put into exile from the battlefield, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
It should also be noted that, the way the activated ability works, you do have the fringe case where Finn leaves the battlefield after the activated ability is put onto the stack, but before it resolves, meaning the return ability won't trigger, and the creature is stranded. You could just add a "if ~ is on the battlefield" clause to prevent this. Wait, actually, it's not so fringe, manipulation of the stack means Finn can do it by himself.

I adapted Kazy's idea and came up with this. Unsure of the costs and the p/t, but I like this concept much more than my original.

Hmm. Well, Kazy's was far more exciting due to the fact that it was an activated ability that can be used multiple times a turn, and how it easily combos with other cards. Maybe each upkeep and each end step? I'll probably post a design or two of my own later.

This one is much better. Kazy wanting blue to get "Mana: Exile target creature" is beyond retarded.

Hm. What I liked about the card originally was the Deadeye Navigator + Bragoish + control aspect of it.

The fact that they've got to recast it is interesting though.

They get it back on the next turn, and so do you. It's not that bad.

You can still permanently exile a nonland if you bounce or sac it before the end step.

But he can do it only once per turn now.

It's like making a card like:

Cost: ?W
?W: ~ this 3 damage to target creature or player.
Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature or player, you gain that much life instead.

>beyond retarded
Oh, but Blue having "Exile target nonland permanent" is just fine for you. In both cases, the ability is a part of a whole that replicates a Blue ability. Flicker for Kazy, Boomerang for this.

>fine
When did "better" means that it is fine?

Just look at You can clearly see that the card idea is beyond retarded.

>But he can do it only once per turn now.
...And that makes a perceived color pie violation better in your opinion? So, what, is
>W, Sacrifice ~: ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
better than
>W: ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
in your eyes? A color pie violation is still a color pie violation. And technically, Blue has more precedence for "Exile target creature" than "Exile target nonland permanent."

I love it, all it needs is a quote.

It doesn't. But if you weren't fine with it, you would have let us know. The fact that you didn't just denounce the card leads me to believe that you still approve of the newer design.

Blue has much more precedence is single bounce than repeatable bounce. Blue usually only bounce repeateadly when it does on itself for evasion.

I can add a "or whenever Finn Feel leaves the battlefield" clause to the last ability. That should prevent stuff from being loopholed into permanent exile.

Just don't jump to conclusions, if I said that I think that one card is better than the other, I simply mean that one card is better than the other, and not that one card is garbage and the other is awesome.

All I wanted to say was that he was going in the right direction.

>Unfortunately, objects don't have a base power or toughness characteristic. That terminology is only used as a p/t changing effect.
Expanding "base P/T" to be something that creatures have at all times is a rules change that I wish would happen. I don't think its too complicated for players to understand and opens up some cool design space.

The problem is not the final result. All colors can do spot removal, what differs them is how they do it.

This one is pretty cool.

Would it be appreciated if I talked about general magic design here? I've been thinking of writing something like that for a while but don't know if people here give a shit.
I feel like I've made a post about why this is broken for a previous version of this, it's basically a 1 mana recollect stapled onto a bayou, you could argue it is a bit weaker due to likely being forced into play it too early to gain advantage, but even so; it is still significantly better than reclaim (which isn't very good to be fair) and has good synergy with land tribals.
I'd have a lot of fun playing with this card, but it shouldn't be in a standard power-leveled set. Its trigger needs a mana cost or something similar.
That is very cool though
Fine, I don't know if you're building for draft but if you are it might be problematically weak at uncommon.

>Would it be appreciated if I talked about general magic design here?
Unless you start saying something retarded, we won't mind. Go for it.

Someone is gonna find what user says retarded; we all know that. But yeah go ahead.

>Unfortunately, objects don't have a base power or toughness characteristic.

Of course they do. What makes you think they don't?

>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/92797265743/do-you-expect-to-ever-start-using-base-power-and

>Do you expect to ever start using "Base power and toughness" on any effects other than polymorphing?
>I believe such a thing could happen.

The terminology is only used for p/t changing effects so far. That doesn't mean it can only be used for p/t changing effects.

Looking further, there's also another post that's more direct:

>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/146189505998/can-black-border-care-about-a-creatures

>Can black border care about a creature's power/toughness changing (that is, "if

It's almost more satisfying trying to design an Uncommon.

Would a card like this be balanced in MTG?

How do you expect this to work?

The vast majority of creatures would be duds, sort of like Momir Basic. Probably fine.

This is one of those cool ideas that can only happen in a game not shackled by paper rules. HEX and Hearthstone can get away with it, but its not feasible in Magic for obvious reasons.

You have to reveal that card if its a land in order to prove you get that second draw. "Draw a card and reveal it. If its a land card, you may draw an additional card."

>Unfortunately, objects don't have a base power or toughness characteristic. That terminology is only used as a p/t changing effect.

>Base Power, Base Toughness
>Effects that change the base power and/or base toughness of a creature set one or both of those values to a specific number. See rule 613, “Interaction of Continuous Effects.”

If you believe it's not a value the object has, how is it "changed" according to the rules? They have to have had a Base Power and Base Toughness to start with for a card to be able to "change" them.

Too pushed?

Really, what do you think?

It's fighting itself.

It's an aggressive creature you want to tap before combat. It's a fragile mana dork that wants to attack. It's a trampler that won't survive combat.

It's pulled in too many directions, making it bad at all of its jobs.

You would use a random card generator to determine which card you get.

By the rules, objects do not have base power and toughness. That's not to say they cannot in the future have base power and toughness, it just requires a rewriting of the rules. Its similar to how copies of permanent spells do nothing unless you add additional rules.

You can break existing rules on the assumption that you're also fixing then, just expect to get called out on it.

>By the rules, objects do not have base power and toughness.

Where in the rules are you seeing that?

The rules don't seem to confirm it one way or the other. You're just as bad, pretending it's a definite case when it's ambiguous.

Objects have "power" and "toughness". This is what different effects modify. "Base power and toughness" is an effect that applies in layer 7b, and it's only with respect to this layer that the term is used.

Again, it states that it "changes" the base power and toughness. It doesn't "give" or "apply" Base Power and Toughness, it "changes" it.

How can you "change" something an object does not have?

The idea of a Mega Elesh Norn at a lower CMC is somewhat worrying to me, even given its tribal biases restricting it somewhat.

Thoughts?

Templated wrong, but more importantly, not really how Magic design philosophy works (Magic tends to avoid pairing cards so strongly like this) or how this effect should be done. The idea of YGO-style fusion would probably work best with Champion or DFCs.
>When ~ enters the battlefield, if you control a creature named Voice of Resurgence, exile that creature and transform ~.

Watch as I'm walking into that b8 trap, though.

I imagine he's going off new meld spoilers.

If he is, he's still doing it wrong. It's worded nothing like Meld.

For those of you who don't know who this character is: Congrats. You're looking at Marvel's Drizzt knockoff. He was just as poorly conceived and received as that implies. But I decided to make a card for him because why not.

>meld
I'm going to continue to believe this is bullshit until I see the official reveals.

Hadn't seen it, but it sort of looks like bullshit. The art looks legit, but it just seems like a weird mechanic, and super clunky for Limited, which has always been one of their main design focuses. Why would they choose a mechanic that is nigh impossible to pull off in Limited as their main set mechanic?

Are the back sides BFM-style wiiiiiide doublecards? Or do you like... stack them, so that one's a DFC and one's not? It's just... why?

It's real.

People have found some test cards that were "accidentally" included in BFZ packs. They use BFZ cards for them, but it's obvious they were using it to test the printing process.

Yeah, it's super weird. I think it's just people getting official art and making their own cards. I saw a claimed Liliana spoiler. It's like a 2BB or something with 4 loyalty and a -8 that gives you FIFTY Zombies. Yeah, right.

>It's real.
And your proof of this is an OGW card that's been printed across two cards? Am I missing something? Writhing Township certainly doesn't look like it's been cut in half.

Busted as hell with that totally unnecessary regen clause

I assume that's his flavor? Unkillable drow edge lord?

Ugh, yes. He was a normal Kree until he bumped into some freaks called "Nameless" or something who proceeded to infect him with some alien shit that takes his soul but grants him great power (what a shock). The Nameless love hurting themselves (edge alert), so the alien shit got really good at healing them, making them pretty much indestructible. Wraith here travels around the galaxy as a broody loner on his space motorcycle (fuck me) wielding a super-kewl shape-shifting gun. It is exactly as painful as it sounds.

Also, not sure about why the Regen clause is broken. It's worse than straight Indestructible. Though I can see that I should probably just up the cost. Oh, and the last ability is because he doesn't have a soul, it's hard to recognize him as a living creature or some shit. Also because I saw the ability on Wall of Shadows (modified) and always thought it was neat.

It's not that the regen clause is crazy OP in and of itself, it's the fact that he's already really really powerful without it, and he would be powerful with just it and not the other abilities, he has 4 abilities and any 2 would be strong

His hexproof vs creature removal + his regen clause alone is just really annoying

Ah. I'll cut the pseudo-Hexproof then. And probably up the cost to 4BB. Or BBBBB because edge. No wait, I did that already, and this guy actually has justification (creature type).