/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

FAVORITE MONSTERS EDITION

GMs, what are you favorite monsters to set upon your unwary PCs?

PCs, what monsters do you love to hate the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/volos-guide-to-monsters
docs.google.com/document/d/10ORCC8IwwqgTv6kSy-wnGgfkegEYejOke9OwGnsN16c/edit?usp=sharing
dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules
docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
fantasiapelit.com/index.php?main=ai&kat=single&mista=indeksi&etsittava=_155411
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I am running the Lost Mine of Phandelver to a new group and it seems like they are on their way becoming members of Zhentarim. Any ideas on how to give them a mission to carry on after the starter set?

So, it's been like 2-3 months since I visited this general, if you want to know I was fed up with 5e due bad GM and retard players, GM literally came up with the rules on the fly, following zero consistence and changing every 5 minutes that made the game go from unbearable to ilogical and backwards as fuck, he also used the phrase "I'm GOD! my word is the law", and the rest of players suffered stockholm and beaten wife syndrome and always repeated "he'll change, is not that bad, is just till he grasp the rules", so I left. Couldn't find another decent game after that so I desisted, btw one of the players of the first group called me yesterday to tell me they finished the first campaing (LMoP) after 20 or so sessions and that the game was horrible, serves them right. Anyway, anything new worth mentioning in 5e?

When I DM I love the reaction when I send out any monsters that can horrify the PCs (a lot of this is in set up, in description, and making sure you have the right mood). Usually this is undead, abberrations, or something very large.

As a PC? The monsters I love to hate are the ones I can feel good about killing. I don't want any of that moral ambiguity shit, wondering how someone kids and widow are going to feel afterwards. Give me powerful demons and arrogant vampire lords that make me want to hate them and not feel bad for doing so.

I've found a new soft spot for using Scarecrows as monsters. They make a great first level boss for a more mysterious or horror based setting. They have resistance to mundane damage, can hide in plain sight, but also have a weakness to something rather munadne and easy to get.

The Zhentarim requires partial control of the spellforge and wants to restore a specific item to working condition there. The problem is that the magic item is both broken and doesn't belong to them. It's sealed in the crypt of a rich family. First 5e dungeon I can think of would be the one from the 2nd chapter of Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle (that's D&D Next but still the easiest thing to convert). Really the whole Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle plotline could work if you sorta reversed the roles the PCs play.

The Zhentarim also wants to ally with the Black Spider, something that should be very difficult, and possibly require the players to capture/deliver him to Neverwinter.

>anything new worth mentioning in 5e?

Outside of the usual Unearthed Arcana every month, a new supplement was announced called Volo's Guide to Monsters. Lots of new monsters and race options like goblin and firbolg.

dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/volos-guide-to-monsters

Completed the shadowcaster spell list and added a few mysteries. Can I get some feedback on the power level of the class? Think its usable? Also need some help converting some of the spells from 3.5 to 5e, particularly shadow evocation and shadow evocation greater.

Unrelated question, how strong are maneuvers in 5e? Is it worth creating a bard or fighter specifically to do disarms and trips or no?

docs.google.com/document/d/10ORCC8IwwqgTv6kSy-wnGgfkegEYejOke9OwGnsN16c/edit?usp=sharing

I just had the same realization! I GM'd for a group of completely new players the other day and really wanted to get around the classic goblin first session. The scarecrow was a really unexpected enemy for them and I got to build a town with a little more flair than normal.

I did nerf his base HP though since my group was mostly melee PCs. I considered taking some of the resistance away but I thought it would be a good way to introduce the idea of being resistant to damage types.

Already working on more for them since they all want to play again.

Rakshasas. I love the deception they're capable of and how they can shrug off a lot of the things that could reveal their deception.

someone make a cleaner version of this

Google "dumb garbage," you'll find a cleaner version of that alongside a picture of yourself.

bravo zulu

Commoner with worse ability scores

???
way to be hostile, also, not what i found

Considering a first level (or rather second level) mission for players in Sharn. How about going into the upper reaches of the catacombs in search of a missing friend, a member of the college there and Xen'Drik researcher, who was seen headed there? Encounters I've thought of so far include all-bark goblin street gangs, alligator in the sewers, perhaps a couple giant spiders, culminating in some young giant wasps (more or less cazadores) and the discovery of a hollowed giant spider corpse with the wasps' hatched eggsac on it. Briefly after that they find their friend, still mostly paralyzed with a sac about to hatch on his back, and have to fight the mom. In the end it turns out the mom was a baby that he brought back from an expedition to Xen'Drik, in hopes of studying it and having help curb the local spider population.
Any ideas on how to polish it, or more encounters in the relatively lawless undercity/catacombs?

Mysteries seem fine, so I'm just going to go down the spell list, and point out ones that seem off.

>Bend Perspective

Seems simialr to Arcane Eye, which makes it really underleveled, although if it's limited to a max 30 foot range that's a bit better. Might need to have a restriction that there needs to be a shadow present.

>Dusk and Dawn

If this is supposed to be a 1st level spell, I think it's too strong. I'd suggest cutting down the range and duration if you want to keep it there.

>Life fades

Seems okay. Might even be a bit weak on the damage. 3d6 would be more fair, since Exhaustion requires another check, and even then won't affect most monsters very much.

>Quicker than the Eye

Seems rather pointless. I would suggest making this a mystery, and combining it with making Umbral Hand's carry load 30 pounds, and make it 5 by default.

>Steel Shadows
>Voice of Shadow

You may want to consider adding some slight downsides to these 'normal spell+' things.

>Black Fire

I think the damage here is too high. Already you can use it as a improvised version of Aganazzar's scorcher, and if there's a narrow hallway you've basically spelled death for anyone trying to run through. Consider lowering it to 2d8.

>Shadowskin

Seems okay. Might even be a bit weak for level 2.

>Flicker

Might need some more specific language about when they can teleport, but otherwise fine.

>Sharp Shadows

Damage might be a bit high if it works on a hit or miss.

>Umbral Touch.

I'd lower the damage a bit. Inflicting slow seems strong, but isn't when you compare it to the normal slow spell and remember this needs to hit as well.

Most of the higher level spells seem fine at a glance, since I think from there you started combining lower-level spells.

Overall an alright list, but I think you need to just tweak some of the lower level effects.

The child would definitely die very quickly if exposed to any danger. If you want to have your child accompany your character, my advice would be to keep them in the town inn any time your about to dive into a dungeon or other dangerous scenario, then look into the retainer background feature and instead of several servants, you could have your characters family. Idk what background you would choose for this, but I'd make it folk hero.

Also, I'd honestly say almost any class could work for a character concept like this. Everything except wizard and warlock at least.

>bend perspective
Ill add the shadow requirement. good idea.

>dusk and dawn
10ft radius seem fine? 1 min duration? i dont think duration is all that much of a problem; if its used in combat it only need to be up for about that long either way. thematically it fits with the class but i can understand your perspective.

>life fades
yeah, i thought the damage was a bit on the low end as well but wanted to err on the safe side. What if it increased exhaustion by 2 or 3 levels instead? I intended to make that effect the main part of the spell, the damage is just a consolation prize.

>quicker than the eye
pointless how? advantage on sleight of hand can be great, and being able to use it with umbral hand is straight stealing the feature from arcane trickster.

>steel shadows
>voice of shadow
these spells are purposely stronger than wizard versions. the class cant upscale spell slots for stronger effects. this is balanced by having slightly more powerful spells out of the box.

>black fire
were in agreement here, though it would probably be VERY weak at higher levels. In 3.5 the spell scaled to 1d8/lvl, with no level cap on damage, but i thought that would be far too strong for 5e. still, 2d8 feels weak. ill have to test it out.

>shadowskin
how should i buff it to make it more in line with lvl 2 spells? i figured having it available as a reaction to getting hit would make up for its weakness.

>flicker
they can teleport as a reaction. Ill clarify the wording a bit.

>sharp shadows
should it only deal damage on a hit? or just lower damage to 2d6 instead?

>umbral touch
lower damage to what? original spell also had it at 5d6, and being unable to cast spells with it active feels pretty harsh.

the higher level spells combine different spells to make up for the lack of versatility the class has.

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

How long do you DMs prep for a session?

Seems to take me about half as long as the session is going to be, on average, for any given session. Longer first prep if I have a long adventure to read.

Generally about two hours a session, but I'm never not thinking about the game. Technically 168 per session, but more realistically the prep I do is just physically getting everything ready to go.

>life fades

2 levels would improve it. 3 levels would be too much I feel. Maybe boost it to 2 and bump up the damage dice a bit as well.

>quicker than the eye

I guess it just feels odd to have a spell with the main function of boosting a cantrip. It feels very narrow in its usage.

>these spells are purposely stronger than wizard version

I had a feeling this was the case, which makes some of these complaints less meaningful. I would still be careful though, since even without scaling or having as many spell slots, these effects could still prove a lot stronger at low levels where there's less difference.

>black fire

You can easily conjure the wall on top of someone and box them in for 6d8 damage with your current version. That's already quite strong for a level 2 slot, and it leaves behind a rather large area to ward enemy movement. I think it's fine, but it depends on your goal for the spell.

>shadowskin

Maybe have it grant a few temporary hitpoints as well? It's hard to gauge, but it's basically a Reaction Blade Ward.

>flicker

Yeah, but as a reaction to what? To getting targetted by an attack? To getting hit? If someone shoots an arrow, can they blink away, or do they have time to adjust their aim?

>sharp shadows

I think lowering the damage might be safer.

>Umbral touch

Probably just 4d6. You're getting essentially a Fire Blade at one spell slot higher, but with the extra slow effect.

Roughly 2 hours, maybe more if I decide to edit the enemies for whichever reason or try to homebrew up an interesting enemy.

Hey, folks? If I were to refluff the Totem Barbarian as "your inner demons well up within you and transform you into a hideous monster for the duration of your Rage", ala The Suffering, would that be viable for an action-horror game, or does that just wreck the whole basis of the class by messing with the fluff?

Arabelle in Curse of Strahd is a seven year old girl, she has the stats of a commoner except only 2 hp and no attacks.

I'm not sure if she gets Vistani powers or not.

Also for some reason she's the Tempter, according to the Tarokka cards

Are there any flowcharts for character creation or something? I'm coming from 4e and I've been spoiled by the character builder; every time I get started on my sorcerer for 5e I always get lost/distracted trying to figure out which parts I actually need to work on next.

Are you just changing thematically why they get their enhancements or are you going to add more to it?

dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules
Look at the Step-by-Step Characters section.

Spoilers: Choose ability scores, fill out race, fill out 1st level of class, fill out background. Calculate hit points and AC, saves, skills, and attacks. It's way simpler than other editions.

Base Scores->Race->Class->Background
Done.

Depends on session and what do you mean by preparation. Ideas for the game? Hard to say, I can take inspiration from any movie/book/video game/web stories I find, and sometimes thing about the game in advance.

Actual preparation? I'd say about half hour on average, mostly things like searching for (or drawing) the map and looking up monster stat block. If I don't have an idea for something very complex, I just improvise.

I know what you mean, that character builder was so good. They said they were gonna do one for 5e but they ended up firing the company that they hired to make it.

How I do character building is
1. Choose Race/Subrace/Class
2. Choose Background. Fill in Background benefits on character sheet
3. Determine Ability Scores.
4. Fill in Racial Info on character sheet
5. Choose and Fill in Class info on character sheet.
6. Crunch the numbers.
7. Done

Just changing the thematics. I did contemplate if such an idea might work better as a new sub-class, but I figured that it worked mechanically fine as a flavor reskin of the Totem Warrior.

1. Get stats
2. Pick race and subrace
3. Place ability scores and add in racial bonuses
4. Generate ability score modifiers
5. Choose a background
6. Mark down the skills you have proficiency in thanks to your background then choose more skills from the list your class provides
7. Mark down the value for all of your ability saves and skill checks
8. Go through your class and background and gather all of the equipment they give you
9. Fill out what benefits your character has from their race/background/class (darkvison, rage, etc)
10. Fill out everything else

Best combat spells/weapon for a Divination Wizard?

Thanks Veeky Forums, this helps.

I think it'd be fine then if all you're doing is changing fluff

Rules for shooting into melee?

No rules, it's totally fine unless you're adjacent, in which case it's imposed disadvantage.

Try DMing.

I think using True Strike with ranged weapons would be fitting, although it's not the most effective method.

This, and don't forget your target will get cover from anyone standing between the two of you. There aren't any rules for hitting the cover though.

More important than anything else: Does your player want to?

Not wanting to teach your child irresponsible uses of magic in the field.

Who gives a shit about what a player wants?

There are in the DMG. If attack roll would hit cover and not target, it hits cover. Simple stuff.

Any good DM

Hey, anons. I'm trying to work out the balance and other various kinks on a bunch of conversions/homebrews, mostly older edition races and some new Wizard subclass options. Anyone got any feedback on the stuff I've done so far?

docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

Also, I take requests for attempts at race statting. I still have a 5e Trox conversion attempt one user asked for but never stuck around to get.

:^ )

Sounds like a great fit to me. Might even alter the Rituals the Totem Barbarian gets to be things more suitably demonic, like Find Familiar or the like.

Bear Totem for thick demonic hide, Eagle for big gargoyle wings, seems good to me.

>Giant Hyenas are CR 1
My party thinks I hate them.

How many Hyenas did you throw at them and what level are they?

I'm bored as hell since my group moved to fridays and I forgot until now, recommend me a movie pls /5eg/

Did someone translate Dark Souls2's Demon of Song to 5e? I cant find anything and it could make for a pretty decent fight i think. Especially if you play a bit more with the songs.

1. Level 1.
I even let them sneak up on it.

Kingsman The Secret Service. Has the best fight scene ever

Bring in gnolls as major enemies. It's perfect.

You may want to be careful with some of those AC boosters on the Wizard subclasses, like the ones for Earth or Air. Usually AC boosts in 5e are more conditional, like requiring you wear armor or be unarmored.

I think it might be good to at least make Air require them be unarmored.

The 10th level Metal feature also seems a bit crazy. +9 AC might as well say you're immune to attacks for a fight, although for a 9th level slot I suppose that's fitting.

Wow they must have rolled like shit then

Time Bandits

>party of three
>monk tries to melee
>gets oneshotted
>hyena runs over to cleric after reducing monk to 0, gets free attack...

Labyrinth or Time Bandits or Fellowship

What's the party size? I could sorta understand it being tough in a straight fight but if they Got a surprise round on it they should of managed easily enough. It's ac is quite low.

what do you think was using the giant hyenas as mounts

Is 'major enemies' a technical system term though? If that's some mechanical whatsit, I dont' know it.

>Party of three

Okay, there's the biggest problem. CR 1 is designed as a fight for a party of 4 level 1 characters. You may need to tone things down a bit if you have less players.

Giant Hyenas have a lot of health and do consistent damage. They're not the sort of thing a small group of characters could just try and grind down.

It has 45 HP. Even a party of four would have trouble bursting that down.

I didn't know it was that significant; I just assumed it would be classic level-1 rocket tag, not... even worse..

Next is not 5e???

The ideal situation for a level 1 party would be that everyone gets a hit in on the hyena, and manages to do maybe 20 damage total.

Then the Hyena takes someone out, and maybe weakens another.

Then they deal another chunk of damage, maybe lose someone else, then the remaining people take it out and stabalize whoever got knocked out.

It's not a very well designed monster.

I'm using the words "major" and "enemies" as words that mean their meanings. Here I'll even throw in a second Gnoll token for free.

Gnolls are fun, make sure to describe them cackling.

Next is the early playtesting version of 5e. There are somewhat significant changes.

Put simply there are some modifications and changes

Are you having a fucking stroke?

The way we've been playing it is the enemy gets cover, and if that makes the difference between a hit and a miss, it hits the ally, provided the roll is high enough to beat the ally's AC.

Ooh, thank you for the feedback. Yes, I was a little worried about some of the AC boosting, but I was kind of stuck for ideas.

Yeah, Metal can get a little crazy, but you don't get 9th level spells until level 17, and at that point, A: you're spending your most powerful spell-slot of the day on an AC boost, and B: at that level, you're facing off against some of the toughest creatures, aren't you?

I really appreciate the feedback, and I'm open to discussing alternatives for those features.

I'm torn on your Air suggestion; it does only apply to Ranged Attacks from enemies, so does it really need to specify that it doesn't work in armor?

So since my flgs lists only next books, they are not worthy?

Thank you, beneficent one. Maybe I'll even try to git gud and learn how to use r20 tokens competently.

There are no Next books. If they are labeling their 5e books as Next they're wrong but it isn't a big deal

I know 4e had an explicit "Mess with the fluff as you like." rule, but I don't know if 5th does. Then again I also don't know if 5th has an explicit "Don't mess with the fluff." rule either.

Well, the Air suggestion is mostly for thematics. I think it'd be odd to have a Wizard in full-plate using wind powers. Granted, that's more of a fluff thing than a balance issue, but with Earth this could easily result in Wizards walking around with 22 AC from a single level in Fighter for Full Plate, a Shield, and +2 from the Defense fighting Style and the Earth bonus.

5e is fine with fluff changes as long as the DM is cool with it, as always

>they're wrong but it isn't a big deal
It occurs to me that I've literally never read this phrase on Veeky Forums before.

Your an idiot if you believe if char creation is just this.

Draw a masterpiece;
Step 1: draw a masterpiece

>a game store run by virt
That fills me with existential dread.

fantasiapelit.com/index.php?main=ai&kat=single&mista=indeksi&etsittava=_155411
So does this seem to be in order?

Don't fucking give me a heart attack like that

That's the 5e book yeah. You'll find however that the Next label is nowhere on the product, they dropped it after early playtesting

"masterpiece" is an objective term, character generation is a checklist to complete

I've replaced the DMG and MM in the Mega with versions that have the errata added as comments, as the PHB version has been for a while. They're otherwise the same scans and same quality as before. Thanks to a kind soul on Kickass who uploaded them with the errata comments.

Nice! I've been meaning to redownload the mega for a while now anyways

My google-fu must be weak, cause I got nothing.

He didn't ask for a masterpiece, he asked for a list to use in place of 4e's character builder. 5e has simple chargen. Good for you if you take an extra 12 hours thinking of backstory, inspiration, and how their history affects their current self and outlook because I do that too but that guy just asked about compiling mechanics into a character, which is easy in 5e. There's no digging through a pile of feats or 5 splats for classes. It's base scores, throw on racial bonuses, throw on class proficiencies and features, throw on background proficiencies and features.

What spells can be fluffed as being electricity related? Like making hold person a literal paralyzing shock.

What bard spells can be fluffed into what kinds of songs?

How can I refluff a ranger's spells as mundane tricks of the trade?

If I wanted a Knowlege Cleric to be an Artificer what kinds of gadgets and trinkets might replicate their spells?

Hey, anons? Anyone else here remember the Unearthed Arcana WoTC did that updated some old Bard and Fighter kits to new sub-classes for 5e?

The reason I ask is because I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Necromancer, and I was wondering if anyone thought that any of the kits from The Complete Necromancer's Handbook might be convertible to 5e?

For a shorthand reference, they consisted of these:
* Archetypical Necromancer: Necromancer with various "Dark Gifts" balanced by "Curses".
* Anatomist: Surgical necromancer specialized in medical healing and autopsying. There was a Ravenloftian fan-version which also got Flesh Golem-building skills.
* Deathslayer: Warrior-necromancer specialized in fighting the undead.
* Philosopher: Necromantic sage specialized in lore relating to necromancy and the netherworld, with limited spell-casting ability.
* Undead Master: "Lordly" necromancer focused on controlling the dead and the living alike, with access to Enchantment spells and the ability to Command undead and fiends like an evil Cleric.

How difficult is it to play a Wizard while only using spells of a single school? I'm wondering how feasible it would be to play a dedicated Diviner or Illusionist.

Illusionist: maybe.

Diviner: definitely not.

Are there any adventures set primarily in the Feywild (or any other edition equivalents) for me to convert to 5e?
I'd like to run something where the party end up there and have to escape

I swear to fucking god if you're my DM I'm going to come at you with a fucking fire poker.

If you're not, then no I don't think so.

You could probably fluff a bunch of spells that have to do with speed, or stretch the definition to include things that could be fluffed as Electromagnetism.

Mage Hand, for example, could involve sparking up some thin wire into the vague shape of a claw to grab stuff for you.

Ranger spells can be rather easy to re-fluff if you just pick more mundane options. Jump, Longstrider, and Hunter's Mark are all good examples. As long as you avoid overtly magical effects, it's easy to twist. Alternatively, they do have a mundane ranger option in one of the UA articles.

Artificer Cleric refluff might be tricky. Using a crossbow would fit, but you'd pretty much be dealing with lasers, magical energy shields, and healing stims.

I do have this Technology Domain homebrew that someone posted. I can't speak for balance on it, though it should fit very well for a Cleric Artificer.

I'm definitely not your DM but care to share why you feel this way?

Yeah, I had a feeling that would be the case. Illusionist seemed feasible thanks to having a lot of ways to mess with enemies and defend, if not being great at damage, but Divination seems to be almost entirely utility.