EDH/Commander general

Shit cards you can't bring yourself to cut edition.

Previous thread
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/embrace-the-void-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That is a really bad card

Veeky Forums would throw a hissy fit over that flavor text because
>translations
>being able to convey original meaning

Compared to talrand lol

It is, but it's such a neat card. I'd probably run it if it was like 1 less for the monk or if it had prowess.

This dumb thing and Oath of Gideon in my Nahiri deck. Just in case there is ever a chance I end up playing a game when dudes agree to play with tuck I will fish her out. I also try to run as many Elspeths as I can.

I don't see why this is bad unless you mean that it's bad in your deck cuz you don't have enough planeswalkers or the planeswalkers aren't that important

I only run two Elspeths in the deck when it comes to other planeswalkers. Trying to get a Elspeth Tirel and eventually gonna try and see if I can fit a Gideon in the deck. Dunno which one though, Jura seems like the best out of the three for EDH though.

Also part two. This time this bitch in Meren. In fact my Meren deck is a mess. I don't know what to exactly do with it as a game plan. Ramp and Tokens are a strategy I want to use but I also want to drop fatties. I really need to look it over.

The problem I see with it is that Player B had a card that answered Player A's bullshit (he had darksteel forge and lattice, I guarantee there was bullshit occuring) and put him in a winning position. Whether you accredit it to a lucky topdeck or sandbagging the right answer, Player B made a play that should have earned him a win. Since Player A had no way to get revenge in game, he scooped so that Player B lost as well. It reminds me of being a kid playing tag, and whenever he gets tagged claiming whatever he was touching is safe, or he stopped playing. before he got tagged. (Probably a poor analogy, but god I hated this faggot).

>You play an archetype I don't like, so I'll scoop to spite you!

Different players enjoy different aspects of EDH, I hate masturbatory combo decks too, but I find interactive combo decks fun to play, and fun to play against. If someone enjoys comboing out, but can't do so without someone scooping to stop it they will find a combo that can't be interrupted so easily.

And before you call me a combofag, only one of my decks runs a combo as the main wincon, 3 have combo back ups, and 2 are combo free.

Ashnod's Altar turns tokens into fatties pretty well.

Again I don't really think all that many combos are stopped by scooping, it's more for removing permanents you own but don't control from the game and denying combat triggers

First for EMA being a god tier set for EDH.

I'm tempted to build a 5 color dēck is just infinite combos

Kiki jiki and Splinter twin + friends

Mind over matter+ Selevana/Quicksiver Dagger etc >Lab Maniac

Sage of Hours + Ezuri UG

Ghave+ Ashnod

I really know it should just be a normal mana rock instead but I keep telling myself that the deck thinning matters. Especially since it's in a Mardu deck and good proper draw power is hard to come by.

Why not burnished hart? Puts em in play and you're in reanimation colors

You know what really fucking bugs me? I don't know if I've seen it in magic, but it's goddamn everywhere, so it wouldn't surprise me:

The ancient prophecy or song it poem or curse or whatever, written in some long forgotten dead language fucking rhymes in English. It makes no fucking sense. And the best part is, it's nominally more difficult to come up with something that rhymes than to not, so they're whoever wrote it is putting in extra work to be shitty.

6 total mana versus 4 total mana. Plus burnished hart is just asking to get removed if you play it on T3. My deck also has no reanimation elements.

Oh thank god.

I thought I was the only one.

Opponent wastes removal on burnished hart sounds like a win to me

But I understand, it's slower

You realize that translator poets try to preserve the rhyming as well?

I'm working on a brion Stoutarm deck, and I'm wondering about the effects of Gift of Immortality.

If I attach it to a creature, I sac it, it instantly returns but GoI doesn't until the end of turn. If I then sac it again and get it back onto the battlefield again before GoI triggers and comes back, does GoI still re-attach without issue?

I'm mostly uncertain because I'm not sure if it counts as if the original target of the effect (the creature just returned with the initial GoI proc) is removed making the effect fizzle, of if it doesn't matter how many times it's been removed, as long as it's back at the end of turn when the recursion effect triggers.
Anyone know the answer? There isn't an AAJ thread up or I'd have asked it there.

Don't like that it creates a suspension of disbelief.

Pretty sure gift will only reattach if the creature in play at the time as returned by gift

If that creature dies again and you return it some other way, it won't be the creature referred to by gift

I'm saying it shouldn't do that in most cases

When people translate ancient poetry they try to make a poem in the new language as well

It shouldn't be surprising that an old poem still rhymes in translated form

Sometimes the original doesn't rhyme but the new version does because we have different ideas about poetry than they did in ancient languages sometimes

Even in the cases where it's not an infinite combo, you're encouraging less interaction. Honestly what irritates me the most about it is that when a player makes a play like Player B did in the hellkite example, it's a player turning the game around in a dramatic, flashy fashion. I think these swings make for the best and most memorable game in magic, especially EDH ("Remember when you swung 90000000 squirrels and I fogged and topdecked a deadly tempest the next turn?" vs "Remember when you had 90000000 squirrels and killed the whole table?"). Player B took a game that was almost lost, turned it into a winning scenario, and Player A ruined it out of salt. I know he did nothing against the rules, by scooping, and many people may think what he did was the right play, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

Hmm, I figured it'd be that way. Shame, that means less win-combos. Or at least, a few that work slower than I'd have hoped.

Put my Liliana deck back together last night, and it feels good. Now I need to finish tweaking it because I forgot to include a few things, but I also added others.

Wish I could add a LotV, but seeing as Wizards refuses to reprint it ever, I can't can't bring myself to drop $120 for an edh card.

VILLA ZHENG
I
L
L
A

Z
H
E
N
G

If he didn't scoop, then player C would've had his game ruined by player A's decision, it's one or the other, I agree that hellkite tyrant is splashy and fun, but sometimes a 3 player game just ends up that way

Talking about """Proxies"""?

I'd rather go without it. If I want to use an expensive card, then I want to actually have the expensive card. After learning to at against people with too much cash, I feel better winning with cheaper cards than with a fake expensive one.

Note that I'm not against fakes. By all means, keep buying them until the retarded secondary market collapses. I've just always had the philosophy of not needing those cards to win. However, sometimes one of those cards would be really nice in the deck. LotV, for example, would essentially be a second commander for me, but I don't really need it.

I'm wondering what you guys reckon are fun, powerful and interactive strategies to use in commander.

I made a deck around Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient, and between that and red's various temporary copy stuff this is the most enjoyable deck I've ever made

It looks like flicker can give a similar playstyle, and reanimation tricks might be a third. I'm wondering if you guys can think of any others that I should look in to?

I don't think player C's game would have been "ruined". He would have lost sure, but the original post gave me the impression that player C was at a disadvantage before player B's play, and he was at a disadvantage afterwards. My understanding is that player A was in a winning position, then player B outplayed player A and was in a winning position, then to spite B, A scooped giving the game to C. If I were player C I'd feel like it was a hollow victory at best. Hell I'd probably consider the game more ruined than if I had just lost to player B.

Is that card actually any good? I've had it in my jund commander for a short while.

I think you were confused, or I'm confused

Player A has hellkite tyrant
Player B has a bunch of artifacts
Player C has the best board

If player B doesn't scoop, he gives the game to player A, if he does, he gives the game to player B

It depends on the deck. The big thing about it is that its mana fixing as opposed to mana ramp, and it puts cards unto your hand, which is good with looting effects.

People were actually excited to watch my Jori En deck work. But every single game I've played with this new playgroup, people complain about the games being reeeaally long. Like, fuck, it is 4 man EDH.

Also, people seem to scoop to me a lot more readily. Not like, scoop before lethal. Not like, scoop to a softlock. Like, scoop to three dudes and a full hand. I don't get it.

Sorry I meant to say player C not B at that last part

You were confused, the other guy got it spot on. A had an amazing board. C had a decent board. B had next to nothing, but taking all of A's artifacts would have given him the win unless C pulled something incredible out of her ass.

What you just said is exactly how I imagined it

That's why wincons that rely entirely on your opponents permanents are bad though

Like at any point if player A the artifact player scoops, the hellkite tyrant guy has nothing

I don't see how hellkite tyrant guy deserves to win in that scenario, if he won it would've been not only a complete cheese but it would've required the daretti player to not scoop despite having no chance to win

>5 player game
>player A just destroyed 2, is mostly tapped out, and is in a good position to kill the last 2
>player B is barely hanging on, nothing but lands and a couple smaller cards
>player C is doing alright with Kaalia and a bunch of powerful creatures, but nothing too scary
>player B casts pic related (Hellkite Tyrant) and since all his creatures has haste attacks player A
>player A has mycosynth lattice, darksteel forge, and a lot of awesome artifacts, but no fliers left untapped
>player A gets super upset and scoops
>if player A had not scooped and let B take his shit, B would have slaughtered C on his next turn
>since player A scooped, B had nothing and C quickly took the kill

Player A had a great board state
Player B hit A with hellkite tyrant
Player C has decent board, but nothing gamebreaking.

Player A scooped. Since C had a better board than B before the Tyrant stole all of A's shit, C won easily.

I've been wanting to Build Jori for as long as the Gamesday promo has been spoiled. I have the promo in my binder, and haven't put it together yet. Not sure about the Wincon. Was thinking clone spells and Dual Caster with the usual Palinchron BS. Maybe Lab Maniac for maximum fuck it.

Mine is more casual, it kills people via a few burn spells, a few creatures spells and some finite combos.

But it is a lot of fun.

The way I see it, B earned the win because he had the answer to A's bullshit. It wasn't even a bullshit wincon, like casting bribery for blightsteel on turn 2, A was attempting shenanigans, and B had a way to stop those shenanigans. I'm also guessing A scooped out of spite, not strategy, since if A was as far ahead as the post says, B would be able to beat C in a turn or two, so A wouldn't have to wait very long.

To be fair, both players were Daretti players

I have Chandra for killing Via burn, so Jori won't be that. I think clone.dec featuring cantrips would be the way to go.

Dude got exactly what you can expect out of hellkite tyrant, he got to kill the artifact player, he doesn't automatically then deserve to beat the other player

We're clearly not going to agree with one another so this is probably my last response. I just feel like if you get BTFO like that the person who blew you out should get to reap the benefits. Scooping so that they don't just seems spiteful and petty.

I mean it may have been spiteful and petty, that has to do with the attitude of the guy who scooped

I'm just saying in the abstract, hellkite tyrant guy should know that he can't rely on an entire board of things he doesn't own to beat somebody who has his own board of stuff

You guys are talking like this scooping to a board state thing is a puzzle to be solved

I'd throw a hissy fit over it because it says nothing that isn't obvious. Non dragons need translations of draconic. Cows go moo.

Well it says that non dragons can't even learn draconic, or they aren't allowed, which is strange

So I have a Trostani deck that's kiiinda half-assing a "token" subtheme on top of the main theme of lifegain, but it's not meshing well and I'm not sure I like it.

I was thinking of slicing out the tokens thing and switching in something creature-based (with shit like Karametra and assorted G/W fatties). Good idea? Should I try to force tokens harder? Should I pick some other subtheme? I don't want to change it from a primarily lifegain focused deck, because that's fun, but I need a subtheme that doesn't suck.

One fun thing to do with her is dash effects and self bounce.

I would stick with the tokens, and don't rely on the lifegain.
I've been brewing and playtesting a Karametra deck lately. Its... Odd. GW nontokens is a weird combination, it keeps trying to turn into either a generic GW token deck or a monogreen fatty ramp deck; there's just not enough support for an even split between the colors. I'm thinking of scrapping it and doing something else Theros related.

Yeah, that's not really an option. It's a lifegain deck. I don't really care if it'd be "better" without the lifegain, I like that theme and I'm sticking to it. I'm just trying to figure out a subtheme that'll go with it better than half-assing the tokens.

>not enough support for green white

Idk what world you're living in

Dash can be fun. I used Valley Dasher in my Kalemne deck, and it was fantastic. I'd probably use it in Jori, too.

I think the token subtheme is fine since there's a lot of support for lifegain and tokens in G/W. What's not meshing well? I'm guessing it's that populate wants larger tokens and you keep ending up leaning towards dinky 1/1s.

It's actually more that there's not enough tokens getting made, because it's not the dedicated theme, so I end up without much synergy.

You may want to look into repeatable token makers then. There are definitely some that work within a lifegain theme like phyrexian processor and angelic accord. Other than those you have luminarch ascension and vitu-ghazi guildmage which can serve as mana sinks as well as prevent you from overextending. Other things like giant adephage, kazandu tuskcaller, and rampaging baloths can also help with making tokens repeatedly, though how willing you are to make cuts for dedicated token generators is up to you.

Processor is already in there, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of Accord.

I think I'm gonna cut the token thing and just find something else- I don't like excess overlap between decks, and this would let me build a Fungus Tribal Ghave deck.

I'm gonna make kolaghan with dragons and feldon and blackjack and hookers

Sounds like fun.

I pulled Thing in the Ice, what deck can actually use it?

Besides spellslingers and using an instant to trigger the transform and bounce your commander back

so i live near decatur texas
I go to walmart to get shit
Get txt fron one of my friends(he dosent play MTG) to meet him at taco bell
Get there to meet some guy and his girlfriend that play magic.
Friends say he plays 100 (thats what edh is to him)
Turns out they dont play edh but 100 casual card decks thinking that mill is op
Played few games with my mono black discard deck and gave them my number if they ever want to hang out
How do i help them git gud.
One of my friends has a good mill deck but i will make sure they wont see it in case they dont feed their habit. The thing is they are really casual so commander should be easy for them unless they try to make their without any synergy and try to do to many things

Also felt bad for the girlfriend she was cleary bored sitting there.
Hope it gets fun for her since you can tell she only plays bcuz the boyfriend.
She wanted to trade new foil sorin and arlinn for my lily of the veil

Somewhat new to EDH here, what exactly does it mean if a deck is made to be political? Is it alot of cards that are a "You scratch my back I'll scratch yours"?

Basically; It also means you're giving other people reason to fuck with anyone else but you.

So its almost like a group hug deck, but more focused on getting everyone to screw everyone else rather than helping them?

Think more along the lines of "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" instead of "please no attacks"

>casual so commander should be easy for them

I got a friend that runs Endless Whispers + Phage as a gimmick deck, so he's mad casual. I hand him my really simple Gisela deck, it's literally just SMASH until you win. He had no idea what to do. I even showed him what to do (turbo into sunforger and then I'll fucking tell him what card to rip off of it, general beatdown). It's the simplest deck I got, Marcheezy is hard to play and is a pile of Grixis junk, Gitgud Pepe is in construction (along with a couple of others like Edric) and Roon's turn interactions are too much for him to work with.

EDH is a format that's very complex and not really meant for casuals. Like if you browse EDHREC and read into the format, you can very easily pick up on what's good, what's bad, protecting your commander, commander redundancy, etc. But casuals won't do that. They'll just netdeck or just throw shit in, expecting to have all their combo pieces at the right time. They don't plan for worst case scenarios, just the best case.

You can't help them git gud, because git gud is a state of being. You must be willing to learn to get better, and wizard practically pukes out "run 60 cards with maximum copies of your cards," in all promotional shit, even at kitchen table level.

The gf is probably bored and needs some token spam decks. Bitches love the BWF (big wide field), just make sure she has enough token cards. Literally every girl I know loves going wide

Alright, thanks!

I've since cut this from my Mizzix but it looks so fun, it's not like 1U is so hard to pay after the fourth or so experience counter.

I also wanted pic related to work in any deck so hard.

Why is there twice as many Newzilek decks on EDHrec than Oldzilek?

Opinions on Skirsdag High Priest in Prossh?

Newzilek is more interesting

Depends entirely on your meta and how good a 5/5 demon is in your playgroup. Though I might just play dragonmaster outcast at that point instead. Honestly though, I'd probably recommend something less exciting like a signet or a nature's lore because getting prossh out a turn earlier is really good.

I need ideas for more cards for my Mizzix deck, /EDH/, any recomendations?

I decided the guy should try our deck to see why you run 60 and why its important to have few cards and what is important to have multiples
While the girl gets to try my friends token black and white deck and green and white populate
What im worried about is where we meet they will see the big pile of cards we dont take use and focus on that. But luckly my friend who host the games at his house. His mom and dad are back and there meth heads who always get in fights so most we might have to meet at a libary or something

I need help with this Newzilek deck
Any thoughts? Advices? What should I add/ Switch? Any interesting things to pull off?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/embrace-the-void-1/

I've thought about Dragonmaster Outcast. Its on the consideration list, at least.

>gw
You got SquirrelCraft. Make sure to wait until you got enough mana to cast it and one basic untapped. You have so many token engines in those colors.

Ojutai is such a fucking asshole, i bet he can speak their tongue and just uses draconic on purpose.

He totally can. He had a chat with Shu Yun before he blitzed all the Jeskai monasteries

Repeatable 2/2 fliers for 2 is bad? Not phenomenal, sure, but bad?

It's bad because you're paying 6 for the first one in addition to the cost of each spell. 1U on every noncreature adds up after a bit.

I feel like it's really outclassed in blue by talrand, and other colors by many token makers

I wouldn't call it bad either though just overcosted

So WoTC is resorting to more Unglued mechanics.

How viable can the "Mend" mechanic in EDH would be?

"Meld", not "Mend"

Not great, but I don't care, I love this sort of thing.

What are some must-haves for Sigarda human tribal?

>every human lord
>Cathar's Crusade
>all the Hexproof/Shroud equipments

Wait, how is this an Unglued mechanic?

That means, can you make a commander out of Brusela, if it likely means you need to Meld two cards first?

Its Probably going to be completely unusable in limited and, constructed. You need 2 cards for some merger crap that probably isn't even worth it. Look at that one. You pay 7 mana for a 5/6.

You play two playable commons and have the chance of getting extra value out of it. You seem to forget what constitutes a good common in limited.

>You pay 7 mana for a 5/6.

I think that if it was just 7 mana for a 5/6 it'd be awful, but you get a bit more than that.

On curve, Graf Rats isn't terrible. Most of the creatures in SOI (again, pending more in EMN) are very small, so a 2/1 can easily trade.

Then turn 5 (again assuming curving out), cast Midnight Scavengers and return the Graf Rats to your hand. Turn 6, cast the Graf Rats and then you meld into the 5/6. Plus, I'm sure that the 5/6 will have at least one keyword or ability. Also, in SOI a 5/6 is pretty damn big so who knows.

You're under the assumption that it would only be 5/6.
Sure it could still be 5/6, but we have no idea what abilities it'll have.