Games for newcomers

Hey, so I've been playing different stuff over the years, starting with D&D 3.5, and currently in 2 games and running one, although due to these being with university friends sessions can be rather sporadic sometimes.

Some friends from outside of uni want to try out roleplaying games, already wanting a first session next weekend, but the only systems i'm familiar with enough to feel secure running with them are either relatively rules- or lore-heavy, especially for newcomers only familiar with dice systems like monopoly houserules.

The systems i'm familiar enough with to be comfy running are D&D 3.5, 4th (which i wanna avoid), and 5th (which i'd rather avoid since i'm already running one game in that), L5R, Shadowrun, and Deathwatch

Although I think this might be a good opportunity to run something my main group is unlikely to due to lack of interest, like any other FFG rpg, any White Wolf, Paranoia, or a superhero rpg like M&M, even though i'm not too familiar with those systems

I'll probably be able to postpone for a week or two, but i don't lurk often enough on Veeky Forums to know any more rules-light systems i could use to introduce them to the role play ways.

Think it's probably good if you know that i prefer roleplaying to rollplaying, and will try to instill that sort of behavior in these guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/PreGens_Level1.zip
media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/StarterSet_Charactersv2.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you want traditional fantasy there are a few options. Dungeon World isn't my favourite game, but its easy to teach and has very useful character sheet handouts for everyone. Its different to gm, but nothing too complicated. That being said, even mentioning it will probably derail your thread. Alternatively there's Beyond The Wall which has a similar focus on easy to use character sheets, but has a really well put together collaborative village/character/plot generation that's worth looking at just to steal for other games. Rules wise its simple OSR dnd, so there's a lot of material you can use. You know what, play Beyond The Wall. Its fucking cool.

thanks, gonna check them out, have heard of dungeon world but never paid too much attention to it

btw, if anybody has links to pdfs for any games recommended, that would be super helpful, especially for the games that are unlikely to have a general on this board where i'd find some anyway, of course

The OSR general has links to Beyond The Wall.

Cortex.

Cortex cortex cortex, oh my god cortex.

Rules light system by Margaret Weiss, that's used to run the Serenity and BSG roleplaying games - Supernatural too, I think. Great, intuitive, good for old players and new, lethal combat, plenty of player interaction in the plot, and I could teach you to run it (and four absolute newbies to play it) in the span of an afternoon.

Honestly, my recommendation is to run 5e. You know the system, you're comfortable with it, and it's *really* scalable based on player choice.

Save time and stress on you and the players by skipping creation entriely, go with either the pregens from media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/PreGens_Level1.zip which use basic stat blocks to make more room for RP suggestions and a list of "actions you can take on your turn" that make it go much faster, or use media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/StarterSet_Charactersv2.pdf which is the 5 starter set characters pre-printed on actual 5e character sheets.

Keep it fun and don't get bogged down in rules. Just start with RP and basic 1d20 + ATK + PROF vs AC until the players indicate they want to start using the other cool stuff on their sheet, then build from there.

Anything D20 is bad.

It is clunky, overly complex, and reduced to combat which drags on forever. The learning curve is quite high. And so is the fetish factor.

Other games approach things differently. For starters most aren't made as marketing traps where buying more books is always the apparent answer.

Then the wargame mentality is only really appreciated by a certain kind of gamer, most players want something more flexible that gives license to be creative. With DnD marketed as THE rpg, many people believe roleplaying and DnD are interchangeable phrases and turn away from the hobby after a session of that.

Fate is an ideal newb game. I've run FAE at conventions and everyone immediately gets it. Players have ideas and rules to get them into the game, and it resolves really quickly.

ORE is more classically structured, but no less fast. It comes in elaborate incarnations, like Reign or Wild Talents, and in more beer&pretzels variants, like Monsters and Other Childish Things, or Better Angels. Nemesis is bare bones crunch ready to mod, and it mods very well.

Mouse Guard is excellent, as are all Luke Crane games, but Mouse Guard is the easiest to pick up.

BRP is a work horse. It's all skill checks and with a new skill list you can freely change genres.

Look into mini games, they can be really good! Lasers and Feelings is simple, but Don't Rest Your Head is one of the best made games you'll find. Dread is a revelation for fans of horror, and also an excellent one shot with party folks who have never roleplayed before. Night's Black Agents is an evergreen at UK conventions. Everyone is John is a crazy ride. Just read a few and try what strikes your interest.

>Honestly, my recommendation is to run 5e.

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but this.

I think Everyone is John is perfect for what you're looking for. Goal oriented roleplay is the focus and it pretty much requires all of the players to pay attention, even when it's not their turn.

Fate Core, FAE, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Nemesis, BRP, Lasers & Feelings, and Everyone is John are free or have free quickstart rules available. Just ask any search engine.

I think I fundamentally disagree with everything you believe in.

Where do you live? I feel like we might have to fight as sworn enemies.

That's alright. I, too, was twelve once. I thought AD&D was the greatest thing in the world. Then came WEG d6. And today my opinion is based on experience.

I'm very likely older than you are, and very likely stronger as well. Where do you live? I wouldn't mind settling our fundamental differences with fists, rather than awkward attempts at insults.

Or, are you some sort of navy seal?

I'm sorry, but around here threats of violence are actually a crime, no matter if it's just the internet. Also I don't have a bone to pick with you, you seem a little hot headed but alright.

But maybe you want to face the criticism of your pony with a more fact based approach? I'd be happy to tell you why you're wrong, or why it doesn't matter what you play as long as you enjoy it. I just won't agree that DnD is a good nub intro.

I'm not really interested in your opinions, or how much you're convinced in them.

The more I listen to you, the more it sounds like a good fight would have the wrong effect on you. And, the more I listen to you, the less I want to.

Never give Maggy Weiss Productions money.
They use it to lock up popular licenses and make money, not games. They're the reason we never got a decent Firefly RPG. And they still sold it 4 times over.

So no facts then.
Figures.

Fuck you're autistic my man

I am saddened to hear that, because cortex is legitimately the best rules-light system I've ever played, and it's hard for me to reconcile a good product with a shitty company.

If it's true, then pirate cortex instead - it's worth it.

Just for me to see for myself, you got any sources?

Dude, what exactly is your major malfunction?

Not in my bookmarks, no. It's been a decade.

Cortex+ was made by fans who were pissed that Firefly never got fixed. They never saw any money. I believe that players need to support the hobby, but in this particular case I would not advise against piracy.

What kind of strange little troll are you?
Are you baiting me? Do you honestly think that you have "facts" that are worth hearing, or that any "facts" I could offer would penetrate the shell you've wrapped around your ego?

Go on. Start typing up some facts, so I can ignore them at my leisure.

>Night's Black Agents
ffs, Veeky Forums, your DW obsession has me rambling.
It's Dead of Night

I might be the odd one out but I would say GURPS is a good nub game. The character creation is the only real hump unless you are using templates. Other than that the rolling system is intuitive and easy to understand (roll lower than your skill/attribute) and combat goes fast if you use the basic "abstract" variant.

As far as combat goes, I mix the abstract and the tactical combat systems in a hybrid that doesn't require a map but also includes the hit location (aiming for the head and dealing damage to just the head) rules, since GURPS is a cherry picking system.
I recommend getting and using just GURPS Lite, and using the master list of traits found on the last pages of GURPS Basic Set.

>Inb4 someone calls me out

Becau I realized I have the master list on my phone here it is in all its glory

I thought I was talking to a guy who could take a joke about fighting over game opinions.

I didn't realize I stumbled upon a troll.

I think he's earnest, you're just a retard.

FATE is overfluffed shit, a good core concept with 200 pages of shitty rules mixed around it that aren't necessary. It's also meta as fuck and is total shit for newcomers who don't understand what a fucking RPG is in the first place.

ORE is a gay-ass mecahnic and a gay-ass system.

BRP is shitty GURPS-type crap that is no better than d20.

Mouse Guard is pretentious bullshit and has nothing to offer beyond being a generic d6 dice pool system with a bunch of fancy names for already-existent concepts.

Dread is a jew rip off of a 99 page rulebook for an idea that can be explained in one sentence: whenever you do shit that might fuck up, pull a block from the jenga tower. If the jenga tower topples, shit gets fucked up. I fail to see where extra mechanics can add on from there.

Everyone is John as a first RPG experience is a great way to ensure you have chaotic randumb lulz players that have to unlearn those behaviors the rest of their RPG careers.

Your recommendations are shit and smack of reddit.

Kill yourself.