/ysg/-Yog-Sothotherey General

Ia! Ia! /ysg/!

Dooting with Nyarlathotep Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.

(Are you pleased now?)

Previous Thread:
The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>Recommend things to put in the next OP

>Mr. Servitor, doot doot.

>Cthulhu lies fapping

>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages.
>If you don't horrors beyond your comprehension will shitpost.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gpqmoBYkQfc
epberglund.com/RGttCM/nightscapes/NS08/ns8nf1.htm
docs.google.com/document/d/1LJ_beiUVa7mpeKJGPBvH2yQCMDVWXLGawz4K39Rea8Q/edit
fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/i-hate-my-job
cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How close is the Conan universe to Lovecraft?

youtube.com/watch?v=gpqmoBYkQfc

It's hard to say. If they're not the same universe, then they're next door universes with a lot of overlap.

epberglund.com/RGttCM/nightscapes/NS08/ns8nf1.htm - This is the best guide to the subject.

Thanks man.

We will never have a sensible Mythos thread again as long as there are these pointless shitthreads.

We need a Yog-Sothothery bait pic.

Lovecraft Space Opera:
docs.google.com/document/d/1LJ_beiUVa7mpeKJGPBvH2yQCMDVWXLGawz4K39Rea8Q/edit

By Flash Gordon

What did he mean by this?

so im going to start making my own scenario, my friends just finished the haunting of mr corbitt, how do you suggest going about this, beyond a beginning, middle, end structure

Threadly Reminder that: Cthulhu is a fat preacher who has been sleeping in his house for all this time

Why not Azathothery?

Because Azathoth is a boring faggot and Yog-Sothoth is the one Lovecraft wrote shit about. It's what he actually called his own universe.

Oh, whoa, really?

I actually didn't know that; thanks!

Azathoth dreamed it up, Yog- Sothoth is the Dream.
Nyarly stop being salty.

Nyarly, just because you get to destroy the universe one day doesn't mean you get to act like this. Come on now..

Bump

Hey does anyone have those D&D 5e Lovecraft homebrews? Greatly appreciated.

I have them, because I made them. Assuming these are the ones you're talking about (i also have ones made by somebody else).

This one's still unfinished. I should write some info on the monsters (that's a bitch to do formatting-wise, so I've been postponing that), and add maybe some more stuff (more spells if I get some good ideas, and I've been thinking of making rules for Lovecraftian ghouls as a PC race).

And here's the stuff done by some other guy. His is probably better, although more based on the CoC RPG.

He also did this.

Lovecraftian Ghouls would be amazing, but arent they rather huge lanky dog people?

Seems they could be pretty strong.

They seem to vary in size; the ones Carter meets in "Dream Quest" and most of the ones in Pickamn's paintings seemd to be roughly human-sized, but the one that the narrator in "Pickamn's Model" sees appears to be a lot bigger. Maybe they grow as they get older.

Was thinking of giving them +2 Con +1 Str, and immunity to diseases and being poisononed, to reflect them being pretty tough and being carrion-eaters (and thus naturally resistant to the kinds of diseases and food poisoning eating rotten meat tends to give you).5th edition doesn't really do stat penalties, but I'd probably have to work out something to reflect that they're creepy corpse-eating dog-people, and thus not something most people would want to have anything to do with.

asking this question again, or just posting it as advice for people wanting to do this for games

Disadvantage when using Charisma (Persuasion)?

Anyone know of a good investigation-based scenario for Delta Green / Modern Times featuring Shub-Niggurath?

I need something that will help new players learn a little about her and her followers. I could also use some ideas as to how Shub-Niggurath worship might work in the modern age.

An image I can aspire to.

So Veeky Forums I've been thinking about game mechanics lately and I wondered, what would your ideal lovecraftian rpg have?

For me it would probably be:
>relatively detailed mechanics for mental effects on character
>some way of characters becoming permanently changed in non-debilitating ways
>easy monster creation
>some rules for mythos magic that don't just make it feel overly common or punishing

Not really sure how Shub-worship would work in modern times. The way I see it (and admittably, like just about everything about the Outer Gods, this is mostly headcanon/fanon), Shub-Niggurath is a primal force of nature (and life in general). The concept she represents is entirely antitethical to civilization. She's the "red in tooth and claw", "survival of the fittest" kind of nature, where everythign it trying to kill you, probably in some gruesome and painful way. She's all the things we built civilization to protect us against. Her followers would probably be more interested in tearing down our so-called civilization and returning us to the way nature intented to live.

I've always considered the following quote from Lovecraft's Commonplace Book (random notes and story ideas he had written down, which got published after his death) to sum up Shub-Niggurath pretty well: ”Death—its desolation and horror—bleak spaces—sea-bottom—dead cities. But Life—the greater horror! Vast unheard-of reptiles and leviathans—hideous beats of prehistoric jungle—rank slimy vegetation—evil instincts of primal man—Life is more horrible than death.”

I heartly second yours with more Dreamlands.

Nyarlathotep seems like he'd love Veeky Forums.

>Nyarly spends aeons fucking with the development of humankind for shits and giggles
>Finally gets lost in the world of shitposting and memes that is Veeky Forums
What a twist.

I was always fond of crimes that seemed mundane until investigated. Rapes where unknown DNA is found. Murder where the autopsy discovers multiple hearts or no brain. So on and so forth.

Nyarlathotep has an infinite amount of masks, it's just another past time for him.

Check the God's Teeth campaign on RPPR, Shub-Niggurath related cults are in a few of the episodes.

It was late at night when it started,

I had changed the channel over to 42, with a black screen when I heard the voice.

It was feminine and was intercut by silence repeatedly for randomized intervals.

"He- Watch-Always Grin-Stop Laugh-Bundy."

>A rough concept for a Horror

infinite masks and they are all posting on Veeky Forums

/pol/ just gnarly hotep endlessly trolling himself

So that's what the Nyarlathotep Cycle is.

Rather insubstantial.

Hey guys, looking for advice/approval of the approach to moonbeasts for my current delta green campaign.

Currently my players are investigating sighting of odd lights, dark beams, and non-euclidian shit happening to the moon in a VERY small cdp in Pennsylvania. Story is that wealthy landowner markus dempsey is a dreamer that has grown a sick deification toward the moon beasts, namely the tentacled parasitea that manafest on their faces. Using rituals both dreamland and native american (eerie tbspecific) he is attempting to coordinate their arrival with a fireworks display at the local jamboree to take over a good portion of the town. Sound ok?

Interesting. I definitely want to emphasize the aspect with birth/rebirth/metamorphosis/body horror if I can.

I've been reading the Delta Green books and they suggest that Shub-Nig could be worshiped by New Age waves since she is normally associated with pagan gods of fertility. This lead me to associate it with the shotgun scenario I've wanted to run, "I Hate My Job."

fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/i-hate-my-job

What I want to do is make Mrs. Judy Kleier into a woman that was influenced by Shub-Niggurath into someone that has been influenced by Shub to turn the children (and herself) into carriers of what could be (but won't be directly shown to be) a Dark Young.

I thought of two images I want to startle my characters with:

1. A 5 year old boy, rubbing his belly, saying "Soon I will be mummy, just like Mrs. Kleiner!" with a smile on his face.

2. Mrs. Kleiner, laughing and dancing, as her belly explodes in a mass of ropey tentacles and intestines. Meanwhile, the children are sitting in a circle around her laughing and clapping.

So yeah, very fucked up situation to be in.

However, I want that to be the second brush with Shub-Nig for the investigators. Since that scenario seems very roleplaying heavy, I want something more investigative for their first scenario, where they slowly reveal clues pointing to a Shub-Niggurath influence.

I was thinking of doing something with either a fecundity satyr that is the head of a cult, OR do something with Shub-Nig's milk. Perhaps as a component in a drug that has taken the streets and leads to Bad Things.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Well there are a few questions that immediately pop up. How does A-Cell get tipped regarding those events? What do the agents find that links the case to something that may be supernatural?

Similarly, the DG agents are going to need clues to know how to stop the ritual, and the means to deal with the moonbeasts if necessary.

Not sure what way you want to use the Moonbeasts, perhaps by showing their airships or by letting the agents meet some Leng slaves beforehand? It would still be hard to piece together what's going on though, unless they have more knowledge about what the Dreamlands may be.

>What I want to do is make Mrs. Judy Kleier into a woman that was influenced by Shub-Niggurath into someone that has been influenced by Shub to turn the children (and herself) into carriers of what could be (but won't be directly shown to be) a Dark Young.

That was a brainfart on my part. I mean to say that I am changing the thing possessing Mrs. Kleier to be Shub-Niggurath instead of just an unknown entity.

My agents are a part of "the program" so travel and cover are decent. For this mission they are posing as epa agents collecting data on ground water and soil samples along route 66. One of our contacts within the program was tipped off by a friendly, one Norman chautuck, scout master for troop #581.

I think that a good way to have characters know information about what's really going on, even if they don't ahve all the answers, would be to introduce a character who wants to work with them or use them to his own needs, that is in a different camp from Markus Dempsey.

For example, say it's one of the Serpent People that wants something Markus Dempsey has (let's say his autographed copy of the Necronomicon) and also wants to stop the summoning from happening. He'd try to help the PCs by being very cryptic yet at the same time manipulating them for his own needs.

Now, you could replace that Serpent Person with pretty much any other Cthulhu mythos entity that deals with humans on a regular basis (a mind-controlling Yithian, a ghoul, a Mi-Go, or even just a really inquisitive Phenomen-X reporting team) and you now have a way to drip-feed information to the players.

I quess for simple introduction you could do something like some new-age cult gone bad, where things escalate from the usual (naked dancing on the moonlight, or whatever the fuck those wiccans get up to) to kidnapping children to sacrifice to the Allmother. Have the PCs uncover the cult and stop them, gaining some insight to the being they claim to worship while questioning them. At this point I think things should still be mostly mundane, the PCs having every reason to dismiss the cultists as a bunch of loonies. Maybe there was one or two odd things, nothing that can't be rationalized away, but which might hint at something darker at work than a few mentally unstable hippies.
Then later they'll encounter stuff that matches the stuff they learned from the cultists and can no longer be explained with mundane means.

Hmm, might do something like this. Since there's gonna be children in the second scenario, maybe I'll make this one have older victims. Like, perhaps sorority house kidnappings, or prostitute killings.

Good idea.

Another thing one could do in a longer, slow-paced campaign that I think could be cool if one would get it to work would be to do slow buildup of seemingly unconnected events. Not really good for the purpose of introducing the PCs to Shub-Niggurath worship, but could be nice for setting up the theme.

Basically, as her cultists are working on some big ritual, the attention of Shub-Niggurath is drawn onto the world, causing things to start happening. Small, seemingly unconnected and inconsequential things at first, all tied with the common theme of life/fecundity. Describe the plants being unusually vibrant for the time of the year (leaves and flowers appearring unusually early in the spring, trees not loosing their leaves despite autum apporaching). Somebody notes that there's more insects around than usual. Newspaper makes note of higher than average number of twins born in the local hospital. Farmers have been getting a very good harvest this year. Local preacher expresses concern over increase in "immoral behaviour" among the youth, and teen pregnancy rates (and pregnancies in general, if one bother to look at the full statistics) are indeed on rise. Reports of strange activity in the woods. Random, pretty mundane, but slightly out of the norm stuff.

Then, over time things start to get a little weirder. Stuff you find in the "mad world" section of the newspaper. Local farmer's goat gives birth to some weird deformed thing that dies on birth. Another farmer has grown extremely large fruits, but sadly they taste terrible. Some lady is reported to be pregnant with octuplets. You swear you mowed the lawn yesterday, but the garden is still a mess. The branches of the trees seem to sway independently of the wind. People have been reported to go missing, with rumour of devil-worshipers performing rituals in the woods. Eventually things would get even more weird, with outright body horror and stuff.

Holy shit. That actually sounds really good, and something I could tie up into a Shub-Niggurath campaign nicely. Probably gonna steal this.

I think I'm not gonna make it worldwide or even continent-wide though. Just the approximate geographical region where the PCs are, in this case the U.S. Northeast..

That's what I was implying. Localized increase in weird phenomena caused by Shub-Niggurath's influence "radiating" into the surroundings due to her cultists' activity. Would be a nice way to show the power of the Outer Gods, where just attracting their attention will have an effect on the surrounding area.

Any tips for a running a CoC game? I wanted to run a one-shot for some old friends, but there will also be 2 people I've never played with.

4 players seems ideal, but there will be 7 this time.

Be very laid back 99% of times, but the horrific moments must
1) be graphic about gore/fucked-up-nesss
2) hide otherworldy beings in the shadows
that's because your players' imagination and paranoia is better than your ability to describe what cannot be conceived

Give them some time before the game to talk between themselves and socialize, while you explain the rules and such. People will want to make small chat if they are meeting up, so don't rush the game on them and instead wait for things to quiet down before starting the game.

Make a social contract right from the beginning. Explain to the group that since this is a horror game humor and out of character discussion should be kept to a minimum. It might seem like a very small thing, but this will keep everyone on the same page and establish a ground rule.

Encourage note-writing for OOC conversation. This provides an alternative to table banter, and might actually work better with larger groups of people.

Try to always refer to players by their PC's name. Again, it's a small detail but it will help players get inside the mind of their character. Don't say "So what do you do now, Charlie?" but instead "So what does Professor Moriarty do?"

Keep an eye for players who don't participate much and try to get them to participate. If they don't participate they might get bored and start talking outside the table. During the game, ask them "So what do you think of the plan?" or "What is your character doing during all this?" to get them interested in the game and their character.

Forget about initiative, run combat by going clockwise or counter-clockwise by table seating.

Also, if you are new to the system use the Keeper's Screen to have the rules on hand at all times and/or keep a cheat sheet handy for yourself and for the players.

i have 3 hours to cobble together an encounter to play tonight /ysg/ help

Players are passengers on a luxury cruise liner. Hell you could do an alt-history where the Titanic gets swallowed up the mythos.

Do The Haunting, it's in the sourcebook of all the CoC editions.

eldritch bump

Hastur is here.

Who says that's an alt history?

Randolph Carter pls.

Go home Hastur.

No one likes you.

Don't bully Hastur! It's unspeakable!

the same could be said about you.

You all are faggots, I, Nyarlathotep, am the best.
PRAISE MEEEE!

>unspeakable
You deserve a rare Lovecraft user.

Oh please, you're nothing. No literately, you embody nothing. At least my followers managed to do something.

Why does no one ever invite me to these family reunions?

You get mistaken for Big C so often it hurts. Just go back to your obilesk... or was that even you, you're just so forgetable.

Last thread's writefag going on about serpent men in the moon and the cruel empire of tsan-chan got me looking for more dark future cthulhian stuff. I found a copy of Cthulhu Rising, Once Men, Jovian Nightmares, and CEoTC. Is there anything else people would recommend or know about that's similar?

Fictional or game resource, anything really.

Laundryverse counts for this thread, right?

Are there any Lovecraft entities that just wish and make it their one true goal to eliminate all life in it's various forms? Something akin to a god or an Old One, anything?

Well, Nyarlathotep has apparently made it his goal (or at least his hobby) to troll the everloving fuck out of all forms of life he encounters, which more often than not ends up with everybody getting killed because he taught people how to make nukes for fun.

Nyarlathotep is a colossal dick.

Well, Azathoth is certainly destructive but not in the "I desire to destroy things" manner but rather because he is the essence of destruction. He has no choice in the matter and no reasoning, he is simply the blind, unthinking chaos of uncreation.

Yup.

Which is really funny because he created the Universe in his dreams.

Look up the Unibomber Manifesto.
cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt
He was clearly a Shubby fan.

The Music of Erich Zann, why is this so fucking spoopy? Any other recommendations?

The Color out of Space and Rats in the Walls.

A Yithian, Ghoul or Serpent Man would all work but the character of the campaign will change heavily depending on the exact entity. Yithians could be either cryptic as all hell or be a party member that never gets discovered. A Ghoul would require a whole different back story and means of communication. The Serpent Man could go alot like the Yithian but implies an extremely dangerous campaign and/or adventure.: What the hell is going on that it can't solve the problem itself?

As a suggestion, would Yithian mindswap work better as a Sorcerous Origin?

Picking up weird mental magic from swapping minds with an eldritch being seems appropriate.

I like that actually.

Yeah, you can even phrase it in a fantasy context if you want.
"Demon Ridden.
A vile demon has possessed your body, and although you are now back in control of it, the fiend left its mark. For years it was in control, using you to work its strange an unnatural plans, while your friends and family thought you had gone mad.
All the while, your soul was in its hellish realm, where its kin tortured you for information, making you write all you knew into one of their horrific codices. Eventually, you were set free, but your time enslaved has left its mark, and you possess a measure of the demons' foul power."

Indeed, if a guy is trying to contact the moonbeasts and is willing to sacrifice a small town for it, then it's probably something big. Also remember that Ghouls and Serpent people could probably use an illusion spell to hide their identity. A Mi-Go could use a Grey to talk to the PCs, which would be a very strange interaction.

I thought that was Nyarlathotep's thing. He being orderly distribution and Azathoth being chaotic creation.

*cough* destruction *cough*

He is Azathoth or a facet of him. So...

This seems like the best place to ask- Does anyone know when the next chapter of An Elder Sister is coming out?

How many times do we have to fucking repeat this.

Wouldn't that mean that all of them are the Trinity making up God?

Moon Beasts invading the waking world? A Ghoul would be damn useful since they can not only enter the dreamlands they can take others with them. A Serpent Man can do the same, a large number of Moon Beasts would be something he would want to get right the fuck off his planet while probably requiring some monkey cannon fodder...Er i mean helpful humans.

A Yithian might be at a disadvantage, i don't think 'natural creatures' not native to earth like Yithians or Elder Things can enter the earths dreamlands unless they physically enter.

Probably. God in the Bible is pretty weird.

Im planning on running Horror on the Orient Express soon, do you guys have any keeper journals or similar so i can get an idea of how it should play out?

Yup, he's what Yog-Sothoth was directly based off of.

I'm not dead!
>THE NASCENT EMPIRE OF TSAN-CHAN
In time, the Cruel Empire of Tsan-Chan will be a horrible colossus, ruled by monstrosities, protected by continent-scale sorceries. It will have vast armies, dark sciences, contiguous borders.
In the year 5,000 A.D., when it has lasted three thousand years, The Cruel Empire of Tsan Chan will be a terror indeed. Right now, however, you cannot even say that it exists with confidence.
There was no central 'Divine Warrior' project; dozens of desperate governments and other large organizations each inaugurated their own programs independently, with their own sources of lore and own approaches. The Serpent-Men who had infiltrated each of these programs in various guises kept in touch with each other, of course, but they allowed each program to blunder along its separate paths.
When the final moment of decision arrived, each program reacted differently. The Quecha program opted for a direct assault on Cthulhu as he rose, trying to lobotomize him and render him alive yet harmless, and accomplished nothing. The Egyptians, deriving much of their program from communication with the Yith and certain pre-human ruins, created time-manipulating Warriors and attempted to catapult their entire country into the distant future, when the stars will be wrong once more. The Rif Republic attempted to transform their entire populations into star-spawn.
Other programs. Other approaches. Other goals. Dozens of them.
It is perhaps simply the result of good advice and long experience that the projects which relied most heavily on Serpent-Men and put them in positions of authority prospered, while those which attempted to make their own way suffered from mysterious setbacks. Perhaps.
But nobody believes it.