Star wars xwing. get in here and talk about stuff

Just got into this, trying to figure out if its worth the money to get obsessed. any opinions? rekt my brother with luke skywalker

even if i spend cash on it to play or not to play the minis are still really well made

buying guide rebels:
Rebel Aces
B-wing
A-wing
T-70 xwing
Y-wing
Empire:
TIE booster
TIE advanced
TIE interceptor
imperial aces

Boooring. better play Star Trek AttackWing.

thinking of getting millinum falcon and slave 1 to mix with the starter.
what makes it better?

We have /swg/ that talks about x wing a lot.

My advice, though? Stay away from tournaments and try not to get absorbed in reading meta crap online. There's a lot of optimization in this game, and it sucks the fun out of it. There are so many ships, pilots, and upgrades, yet hardly any of them ever see use.

My advice when playing:
> The game mostly comes down to mitigating the dice. That can mean maneuvering correctly so you have shots and they don't, it can mean setting things up so you have more dice to throw than they do, and it can mean using focus/rerolls/"change X to Y" effects.
> Avoid turrets. They do a lot to invalidate skillful maneuvering and predicting your opponents, which is the best part of the game IMO.
> The Aces packs have a lot of really cool material, but don't be afraid of buying the original kits for the represented ships. The original pilots are often just as good if not better.
> Flying A-Wings and TIE Interceptors is great fun, but run away early and often. With light, agile ships like those, it's more important to not be shot at than it is to get shots in.
> Crew slots are the most varied upgrade type. There are crew members to do almost anything, and they're often faction-specific.
> Scum are great fun. Lots of dirty tricks.
> The "canonical" way of playing is 100 points, deathmatch, square playing field, distribute asteroids in turn order. Don't be afraid of playing in other ways! The missions that big box packs come with are all fun, and you can make your own too. There's even a co-op campaign someone created online.
> Play with a lot of varied pilot skills. Unfortunately, most people just go with the highest possible on every ship, and you'll often find people who never fly anything lower than 8. It's a lot more fun to have a lot of variety, so the turn evolves as ships move and players react to each other, rather than one player moving everything they have, then the other player moving everything they have.

The lower production quality on the models.

>playing the inferior Attack Wing

Fucking love X-Wing. My friends love it too.
Because it's expensive, I proposed we have a communal fleet. Basically, I bought both Core Sets, and whichever expansions I particularly wanted. My friends would get whichever expansions they wanted without having to drop $40 on either Core. Everything is kept at my apartment so whenever anybody wants to play, they come over and can have huge battles with every ship in the game at their disposal. I also catalog everything on a Facebook group so nobody accidentally buys unwanted duplicates.
It fucking rules.

Yea this game is cool and the starter is fairly priced but then getting additional ships is really expensive for what they are.

The $30 millennium falcon that should be like $10 judging by quality.

Is that still alive?
So WizKids still does that but not d&d attack wing...
I see ihoe it is WizKids, I see how it is.

Wizkids canned D&D attack wing?

How dead is DnDAW?

Is Star Wars: Armada also a thing we can talk about here? I want to try that over X-wing due to have capital ships and what not. Is it good?

>Is it good?
...Eh.

It's fun; but for most people, it just isn't what they expect, especially when they've been introduced to X-Wing first. Like I think they expect something a little closer along the lines of X-Wing in terms of how quick everything goes, whereas Armada you've got to plan things out ahead of time, and turns can take a while, and if you follow tournament rules, there's only so many turns before you count up scores. Basically, look into it, read the rules and watch some gameplay before diving into the core set. Also, check out how much interest there is around you. If you've got friends interested in playing and they like the way it looks, good, otherwise you'll want to check into seeing how many people at your LGS is playing since there aren't nearly as many people drawn to Armada, so it might be tougher to find people to play with.

The convoluted rules

Rank the FFG Star Wars Games:
Imperial Assault, X-wing & Armada.

They shuffled the last few sets around I don't even know when they're coming out.

Maybe I'm just panicking idk

Well that's a little disappointing. I just wanted something that was like Battlefleet: gothic in terms of scale. I would just prefer to playing with fleets of larger vessels over squadrons of fightercraft. Then again, I saw some Corellian Corvette looking thing at my FLGS that said it was for X-wing and really stressing the definition of "miniature". What's up with that?

X-wing>IA>Rebellion>Armada
I haven't played as much IA or Rebellion though.

Star Wars overlaps more heavily with 'Collectors' than it does with 'Wargamers'

As such, the players are more likely to accept models which more closely resemble toys, and more likely to reject models which more closely resemble actual miniatures. See: The hate in this thread for the aesthetics of Attack Wing.

>playing I get set your dial and fly you into rocks, the game

I know I'm replying to bait, but I dont care.

Even worse, the models look like ass. At least X-Wing paints theirs

I know this is bait
But god damn was it disappointing

IIRC they shuffled around the original creators to another project after release, then min-maxed cranking out expansions with a skeletal playtesting crew.
Then they were nearly a year late on errata to fix the most glaring issues.

It's actually OK now. If you'd believe it.
Errata came, and eventually the sheer number of cards stabilized the game where after 9/10 cards were useless there's enough 1/10 worthwhile cards to go around for everyone and everything more or less finally.

Works better than you'd think despite the "lol dogfighting" system it's based on. Emulates the TV show pretty well pulling shit from up your sleeve back and forth with the cards.

The models are just meh. It's the only real source of DS9/Ent/Voy etc miniatures right now. They paint up alright.

Buy ragequit collections on Ebay. The too-late errata made a ton of the competitive scene ragequit.

>IIRC they shuffled around the original creators to another project after release, then min-maxed cranking out expansions with a skeletal playtesting crew.
>Then they were nearly a year late on errata to fix the most glaring issues.

We call that "The WizKids Design Strategy".

Thing is:
Fans had pretty much fixed everything as issues cropped up.

There's several dozen variants of just the core rulebook even. Then later there were whole expansion waves, with playtesting.

Trek was popular enough for some pretty decent and consistent flow of homebrew stuff and playtesting.

>"The WizKids Design Strategy"
Don't forget:

Killed other lines with shared resources so you couldn't get stuff (eg ships) cheaper elsewhere, and rebranded existing manufacture at a higher markup to match X-Wing's overpriced prices. The heroclix one and the boardgame (painted models for

I'm a bit conflicted about X-Wing. I enjoy the squad building but find that in order to keep people from exploiting the system, they locked everything down so tightly that it can feel very confining. One thing that I don't think helps this is that in keeping the number of dice relatively small (which is good in that having to roll tons of dice is obnoxious and slows things down), a one-die difference is very powerful, and that doesn't give you much play. Going from a 2-die attack to a 3-die attack is an enormous jump, for instance. If we were talking about ships normally having 4- or 5-dice attacks, however, then you could see a bit more play (and throwing in a 6-dice attack wouldn't be absurd).

And while I do think there's some interesting maneuvering in the game, I kind of hate the way movement is accomplished. I would prefer quick, easy, and predictable hex-based movement, and find both the imprecision of movement in X-Wing, as well as the annoyance of having to measure movement without bumping or sliding shit around to detract from my enjoyment of the game (and it doesn't help that I have back issues thanks to a tumble I took down some slippery stairs, as this absolutely wrecks me).

Also, while I'm a big fan of attractive, ready-to-go miniatures and have little patience for the idea of having to paint my spaceships (fuck that noise), I'm not a big fan of the Star Wars theme. I realize that Star Wars is probably the only reason my friends are even playing the game, but I'm not super-hip on the Star Wars ships. They work fine for the movies, but I find them rather meh on their own. Plus, I don't want Star Wars intruding into my imagination (something involving actual characters from Star Wars doesn't help). And besides, I'm much more attracted to big capital ships than to little fighters.

Also, the TIE ships look stupid, which sucks, because that's like 1/3 of the ships in the game.

Other side of the coin here. The Trek Attack Wing guy.

>they locked everything down so tightly that it can feel very confining
The other side of the coin isn't great. The only good solution is no lock-down and genuine for-fun players only. If you want anything remotely competitive, X-Wing has the better deal. There is no true solution really.

>If we were talking about ships normally having 4- or 5-dice attacks, however, then you could see a bit more play (and throwing in a 6-dice attack wouldn't be absurd).
Other side of coin still not great. 3-attack is the bare minimum for a ship to be useful in Attack Wing since some throw around up to 6 before bonuses, but there's plenty of genuinely worthless ships with 2 attack die and lower. Since the system has almost no performance degradation of ships with damage, concentrating attack dice is king. Basically, it doesn't work with the existing rules.

>quick, easy, and predictable hex-based movement
Trek fans are coming from this. The movement template thing was actually a relief.

>I'm much more attracted to big capital ships than to little fighters
Scaling logistics don't work that well for what you want. The compromise Wizkids took for Attack Wing was to use a nearly logarithmic size scaling to reduce the difference.
Either you have a few ships with physically big models, or you have a lot of ships with similar sized models.
Though we did have fighter-swarm abstractions like Armada uses but with the X-Wing system which was kind of fun.

tl;dr
it mostly could be worse

>The other side of the coin isn't great.
I realize the danger, which is why my complaints are all "one one hand... but on the other..." as opposed to me ranting about the game's shortcomings.

>-attack is the bare minimum for a ship to be useful in Attack Wing since some throw around up to 6 before bonuses, but there's plenty of genuinely worthless ships with 2 attack die and lower.
Aside from the annoyance of having to roll and crunch a bunch of dice, everything else just comes down to execution. I think that bumping up the average number of dice rolled in X-Wing by 1 or 2 would have a positive effect on squad building without making actual combat ridiculous. It wouldn't be without its sacrifices, but I think that it would be worth it on the whole.

>Trek fans are coming from this. The movement template thing was actually a relief.
Why? I understand that it's nice not to have to have a hex-mat, and I could see how people would enjoy the instinct and guesswork of flying without hexes (in a way I don't), but "relief" doesn't seem to fit either of those things. Other than the annoyance involved in measuring, my biggest problem with the system that X-Wing uses is that when you make mistakes, it shuts you down, taking away your action and confining your play, which is simply not fun.

>Scaling logistics don't work that well for what you want.
If everything is big, or of indefinite size, that's not a problem. Fighters can either be represented in squadrons or absent entirely.

armada or xwing, which one can give me the most Thrawn feels?

Would we say it's expensive? Compared to pretty much any tabletop game?

Armada, duh. Unless you can't handle thinking 3-4 turns ahead.

So D&DAW isn't canned? I'm looking to get into that game but I'm worried that Wizkids did their thing again leaving the game without support and just a bunch of "nice" looking figs, is that and I'm not willing to play Heroclix.

I guess the game is trully dead then.