Is Attorney Online a game for Veeky Forums?

Attorney Online has a small playerbase mostly from Veeky Forums and some of us are Veeky Forums regulars They said that this board would enjoy that game, so I decided to give it a shot and make a thread

So, Attorney Online is a roleplaying game where ace attorney trials are simulated. For those who never played ace attorney, it consists of a trial where the defense must prove the defendant innocent of murder, however the evidence is severely stacked against them. The trial counts with a prosecution, witnesses, detective, judge, stenographer, etc. This might sound like a hassle or boring but it is very fun and trials can get very crazy, pic related

This document has most info regarding download link, how to play, technical info, etc:
docs.google.com/document/d/1ihsVxLVarPMPgGcU4W81CQyv3gPkLvS63GK7k0N78Qw/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Gameplay:
youtu.be/mOgKv9WTw9w?t=3m17s

There are always dozens of people online at the Veeky Forums server and we have multiple trials going at peak times of the day so you will never be out of action by the way. Well, that's it, I hope Veeky Forums shows interest in this

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1vosCQiOHwA9dvd2c-EYVMLVpgpurDTlWp3RXufxSU70/edit#heading=h.t5v21bp6h7rm
docs.google.com/document/d/10sIrdEYgBVtCa8ijZvKw4HueWciyybMW5qMSyR1jwAk/edit?pref=2&pli=1#heading=h.eduh0zz38drk
docs.google.com/document/d/1idpE2dMhUyOWzh5yyQIYJ-L-RjI0XeMTdw-laK88c8o/edit?usp=sharing
twitch
docs.google.com/document/d/1LQ3lVy3h7WYy1XcujxvbwwFXRDmY9EO5dnlFEnz73H0/edit?usp=sharing
ace-attorney-vidya.wikia.com/wiki/Guides
docs.google.com/document/d/14gc38VJu0igrVgVW92QWj3DJnrwZrntmpjLxah7Udck/edit?pref=2&pli=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>2 gb download size

It's because we have well over 400 music tracks from the Ace Attorney series (as well as some from other games) and also over 250 unique playable characters, it's well worth it

So what's the objective of this game?

Reminder that it is an english only server

To get mad at people you don't know

>all caps so far have been from prosecutors
Time to spice it up with other roles

Doing a trial is extremely fun and rewarding, it's quite hard to explain why but there is just something that makes me feel like I could keep playing this for days straight without getting bored if I didn't have to sleep or eat.

If you are asking about player-specific objectives:

If you are the defense attorney, you have to prove the defendant is not guilty.

If you are the prosecutor, that is sort of personal. Some guiltyfag, aka try everything within their reach to make the defendant guilty, while others truthfag (try to find the real killer).

If you are the detective, you have to state the facts of the incident to others and investigate more based on the request of other players.

If you are a witness, you have to give your accounts to the others. One of the witnesses is usually the real killer by the way, but it's happened before that the real killer was a prosecutor or a detective.

If you are a judge, you must keep a fair trial and make sure the real killer is found by the end of it. That is easily done with the judge's power.

Anyone checking this?

If it isn't clear enough: Before being a roleplay game, this game is also mostly a murder mystery game, or even a mafia/werewolf game. It's something like SS13 has a child with Mafia and meets Ace Attorney.

For the people who want to see a trial in action, there's a stream of an ongoing a serial murder case happening

twitch tv/lawfuldickish

Is that supposed to be a parody of a light novel title?

I don't know

Just from the format, it kinda feels like it.

Maybe show some old case docs to give people a better idea what this game is like?

docs.google.com/document/d/1vosCQiOHwA9dvd2c-EYVMLVpgpurDTlWp3RXufxSU70/edit#heading=h.t5v21bp6h7rm

docs.google.com/document/d/10sIrdEYgBVtCa8ijZvKw4HueWciyybMW5qMSyR1jwAk/edit?pref=2&pli=1#heading=h.eduh0zz38drk

Were the two most recent ones in my list.

Here's a brief synopsis of how a typical case goes

>Pre-case
People gather together in one of the areas on the server and make a court document. This is almost always uses google docs and contains the information necessary for the trial. Then, people work on a scenario for a case, usually a murder unless it's a special case like a Civil Case. Usually people come up with the case together on the spot, but it's also fine to come up with a case prior and use that. The basic requirements are a summary of the case giving a general idea when, where, and how it takes place, as well a handful of evidence related to the crime. After that people wait for roles to be filled. The bare minimum typically required for a case is one person on both the defense and prosecution, a judge, a detective, two to three witnesses, and a stenographer. After that, the trial can begin

>Trial
For those familiar with the Ace Attorney series, the trial format should be very familiar
Trials start with an Opening Statement from the prosecution, giving a synopsis of the crime and detailing why the defendant did it. After that, the detective is called up to tell about the crime in greater detail. After that is over, the prosecution calls a witness to the stand. After giving their name and occupation, they give a 5-8 line testimony about how they witnessed the murder. Then, it's the defense's turn to shine. They get to cross-examine the witness, meaning they get to question the witness' testimony further, and if they find a inconsistency between the testimony and the evidence, object to it. Once they do, the prosecution can try to rebut the objection, or the witness can try to explain it. If neither of them can do that, then the prosecution brings on the next witness. After all the witnesses have testified (or earlier, should they choose), the judge can declare a verdict of either guilty or not guilty. Meanwhile, the stenographer is recording all this in the court document.

101 Turnabout
docs.google.com/document/d/1idpE2dMhUyOWzh5yyQIYJ-L-RjI0XeMTdw-laK88c8o/edit?usp=sharing

>it's revealed that the entire 3-hour case was a massive stall for time as opening statements were never made in the first place
>a solid hour of laughter and shitposting ensues as everyone's sides rupture
God, I'll never forget that one.

Can you make up complete bullshit in order to turnabout cases like in Ace Attorney?

Is ther a video of the turnabout tittytassles case or the Kojima one they were talking about in the chat?

Yes. Yes you can. Normally at the prosecution's expense

It's the basis of the game.
>suspect reveals they were constipated at the time of the murder and therefore stuck in the bathroom

They're both on our resident streamer's highlight list
twitch tv/guardlytheguard/v/33326007
twitch tv/guardlytheguard/v/33512584

I could do that sitting on Veeky Forums anyway. I kid though, I'm an Ace Attorney fan.

Watching some footage and reading about it, I'm certainly interested in the concept. Though I feel Veeky Forums would need a dedicated server or at least a likeminded one, as the vidya server definitely looks a little too chaotic and prone to meme-ing in character. Otherwise, this looks fun.

There are a number of good examples of cases played straight. It's mostly about setting the tone up right in the beginning.

There are several "areas" in the same server, Veeky Forums just needs to always meet in the same area. For instance, area 2 is usually empty.

>splitting a community that requires a large amount of people with a relatively large amount of time present to play the game

>meme-ing in character
Isn't that what it's all about?

Screenshots tend to be memey because they're, you know, screenshots. Cases can go either way, it's usually pretty clear in the prep what kind of group you're with. And if a case doesn't set up how you'd like, there's four different courtrooms that cases are run from.

Also, never thought I'd see an AOG thread in Veeky Forums. Pleasant surprise.

It's mostly the screencaps that are meme-y, most cases go just fine and calm; no one would screencap a boring moment, after all.

We'd be happy for any new players, I'd advise against another server as we're already struggling at some points during the day, but hey, if it works out.

Unless you're in a straight up meme case, 95% of players will take 95% of the case seriously. Sometimes they'll meme a little bit, especially if someone mistypes something (Blood of his own blood, extensive anal trauma, etc.), but after everyone has a laugh and a screenshot or 2 is taken, it's back to business.
Sometimes some Ebin Maymayer will come in and try to crash the courtroom, to which most people mute and, if it gets bad enough, call a mod to do something more.

And then there's straight up meme cases, which as said, you can probably tell when one's gonna happen before it starts if you want to avoid it. They can either be glorious or train wrecks.

The client is a bit large, yes, but we have many different downloads you can use, there's even one without any music that's only ~800 MB.

Here, have a link:
docs.google.com/document/d/1LQ3lVy3h7WYy1XcujxvbwwFXRDmY9EO5dnlFEnz73H0/edit?usp=sharing

>Veeky Forums will split an already small community
>will probably fail since a case needs like 8 people to get started anyway
Who didn't see this coming miles away?

If anyone wants to try a case, there's one in Area 4 that needs a judge, witnesses, and a stenographer. There's also a stream running if you want to spectate before downloading the client (see for link).

>suggesting judge or witness for a brand new player

This sounds intriguing.

Anybody have those new updated role guides that got finished up recently?

ace-attorney-vidya.wikia.com/wiki/Guides

I'd like to play, but I'm worried my improv skills aren't up to par and I'd either freeze the trial or only come up with suitable interjections after the moment to present them has well passed.

Also the idea of commiting to several hours of trial in one go is a bit offputting.

If you take a support role, there's nothing to worry about. Your lead will be doing most of the talking, and you can interject when you feel comfortable while still being an active participant in the trial.

I don't suppose sentencing is a factor or is involved, is there?

Also I'm still trying to get my head about how much is improvised; presumably "hard" evidence prepared as part of the initial scenario is fixed, but every other statement such as witness testimonies are ad-libbed, so the challenge for the defence/prosecution is attacking logical inconsistencies or discrepancies between accounts, which I assume are very likely when all statements are being ad-libbed?

Your original testimonies from witnesses usually aren't ad-libbed; a witness will have a short period before they're called to the stand where they can come up with their testimony before presenting it to the court. Everything after that testimony in the cross examination is ad-libbed, though, meaning that you have to be prepared as a witness to back up what you said.

A good witness writes a testimony with specific, sometimes hard-to-notice contradictions that will move the case forwards. Sometimes they will contradict previous testimony, opening up the possibility for indictment, sometimes they will contradict evidence, opening up the possibility that the scene was tampered with or that they're lying for a reason.

A good defense attorney will seek out any possible inconsistency and try to turn the witness' word or previous evidence against them in order to prove their client's innocence. A good prosecutor will do his best to help protect the witness and to come up with plausible alternatives that remove blame or suspicion from the witness, or that turn it around back onto the defendant.

Sentancing is almost never a factor in a normal murder trial, although it's not out of the question

Anything can be a factor, this game has little to no rules other than some basic concepts from Ace Attorney such as "Guilty until proven innocent", you can bring up sentences if you want.

As for how much is improvised: First, a scenario where evidence is severely stacked against the defendant is created. For example: We choose a defendant and a victim, we choose the setting (such as stabbing), we pick the scenario (a hospital), create evidence (the knife itself, glass shards, a broken door, etc), draw a map of the scene, put all that in the doc.

Anything else from that point and forwards is ad-libbed. And contradictions between witnesses appear, but not necessarily because of ad-lib since it is common for the second witness, for example, to make a testimony after hearing the first witness.

Hot off the presses

Does this mean we can make D&D themed cases?
Not just "someone was murdered around a table" but like trying to save your warrior from getting lynched.

Actually we did a semi DnD case a while ago, someone raged and killed the GM. Was pretty fun

There was actually a semi-successful LARP case, and there have been cases taking place in hellcourt or in earlier eras, so both instances are not out of the question

Will you be my friend Veeky Forums?

Oh man, this just makes me want to see what the program can really do and then just sit around and write cases to see what happens when put into the chaos of the courtroom.

Case creators are always welcome, even if they don't participate in the cases, since things tend to run a lot smoother when someone already has a case ready to go. You can get the doc templates here: docs.google.com/document/d/14gc38VJu0igrVgVW92QWj3DJnrwZrntmpjLxah7Udck/edit?pref=2&pli=1