mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Favorite multiclass?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LGczmeOnKNQ
dandwiki.com/wiki/Soul_Reaper,_Variant_(5e_Class).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Favorite multiclass?
Sorc/adin. Best gish build for people who like to have options. Makes a really good party face monster hunter.

>Favorite multiclass?
Hunter Barbarian

>Fighter/Mage/Thief

"So many abilties!"

Is there any reason I couldn't refluff a Chain Pact Imp as a boggart? I have a GOOlock in mind that a boggart is a better thematic fit for especially if boggarts are just the cilia of a macroscopic being brushing against the material plane

well they're relatively simple in comparison. but fluff is fluff
giant goat = bison = ox, even though only giant goat exists in 5e now

My concern is that boggarts, in my mind, are more chaotic neutral. It says familiars act independently but obey orders, would that sort of alignment shift break the rules?

This. Sorcadin is the only gish that lets you smite and cast freely, since sorcerer lets you quicken spells. Bard would be close if it got the SCAG cantrips (speaking of which, why didn't bard get those? Valor Bard was one of the only THREE gishes to not get any love from that.)

> builds

Ugh. Why do people still play this game? I guess you guys have some sort of complex where you enjoy being punished by a game system that rewards the best builds and not the best roleplaying? This game ties you down and restricts you at every turn. I went to Adventurer's League and found a one-hour argument over how chain-grappling worked, if it worked at all. Someone wanted to grapple a vampire who was grappling someone else and throw it out a window. In Dungeon World? I just have to roll a 10+, and I do it. Whereas you guys are still busy quibbling over rules that have no authority anyway.

Which RPG seems better to you?

>Which RPG seems better to you?
The one that I can actually play. I have never met anyone in person that actually plays Dungeon World, so it is automatically worse.

Checkmate.

I want to buy a a dm screen. I heard the basic one was pretty poopy. Are there any that are good from the start or will I need to modify a shitty one for it to be usefull ?

you realize two of the other familiars are actually evil, and that two are good right?
chaotic neutral only means chaotic stupid for pc's, your pet isn't just going to btfo because you arnt entertaining enough.
its there to give the dm reason to dick around if he needs, the same way your patron can just say "nah, you dont get power anymore nigga"

all the lock familiars say that anyway, so you'd be fucked if it would come up, no matter what

>buying a screen
the only reason you should really be doing this is you want a pretty visual barrier. folders standing up, or even manilla envelopes taped together would do the same thing. if you really need something with short rules printed on the inside, there are i think two different cheat (1 page, and 4 page) sheets in the mega that you could paste inside them

The only multiclass I've ever done was a Warforged Fighter 7/Juggernaut 3 in 3.5, but that's basically a spiky fighter with a few extra bonus feats, so my experience is limited, even moreso now that I'm only DMing at the moment.

Paladin/Warlock looks almost too good to not play, so I think I'll make some Paladin/Warlock NPCs and/or villains.

I could spend 10 bucks in a worse way quite easily, so I'll go pretty visual barrier

Fighter Rogue. Your beefy, you have decent stats and ypur skilled enough to where you can have some impact outside of combat without spells. Plus it lets you be like most Fantasy protagonists!

>No rage bonus damage for Dex attacks
>No spells while raging
Wow, that hurts, but not as much as the 8 Str makes it impossible to take Barbarian levels.

Hahaha, oops. Forgot about MC ability score requirements. The points that are in int/cha can go in str, I just put them there because I like characters not to have negative mentals if there are leftover points. The barbarian level is just for unarmored defense though.

>inb4 a spank is an unarmed strike
>inb4 6 meter 5 kilo gnomes
>inb4 gnome barbarian (XD)
Virt is banned. Stop emulating him.

as retarded as it is, you dont need to meet the minimum requirements for a class, if its your first class
but for some reason you need to meet the requirements to leave the class and start a new one

Fuck you.

character with 16 con, 16 str, 11 int

scenario a)
>level 1: barbarian
>level 2: wants to MC into wizard but can't bc 11int

scenario b)
>level 1: wizard
>level 2: multiclass into barbarian

It's to prevent this fallacy.

Spank is an unarmed strike
Gnomes RAW max size is 4ft tall, 120 lbs

gnome.... BARBARIAN??? XD
Nice, I've GOTTA try that one

>not smart enough to quit being a wizard and hit things hard
>but smart enough to keep being a wizard
but it does add its own problem. still, they picked it for some reason, it made sense to some wizards guy

I think it'd be fair to houserule those multiclassing requirements as base requirements for a class. They're pretty lenient overall, and it'll prevent stuff like casters dumping their casting stat and just using buff spells.

The only reason a character shouldn't meet those requirements is if they're a Dex Paladin or Str Ranger, anyways. Even then they might want to have some of the opposite stat, for things like armor.

yeah, its not like they're high, but still, its 5 points in a possible dump stat if you do an alt build
like apparently gave examples of, so il delete what i typed anyway

Even a Strength ranger would probably want at least some Dex for AC, since I think they only get medium armor, but yeah, I could see it being an issue for some alternate ways of doing it.

I still think it's an improvement overall, and would help prevent some weirdness.

>come up with a plan, a backup plan, and an escape plan
>don't discuss one detail one simple detail
>probably wiped the party

What's the best TPK you've been in? Our only real hope is that the dude we're fighting is out of attack spells.

some fag wanted more screencaptures

>getting ready for my first game in nearly a year
>kinda queasy about the new gm but whatever
>fucking traffic get there half hour later than arranged
>"Oh user, half the group didn't showed up and apparently one of the guys went to europe is not coming back."
>"So im gonna cancel it, since we need to find a new guy"
>we three play some brawl, watch GOT then go home
reee

does the adventure paths have any crunch for character options? like new domains or other stuff etc?

Monk/cleric.

My DM is running an 8-player game set in a fantasy version of the French Revolution. As in, it's exactly the French Revolution, but Elves and magic and shit are normal.

Only downside so far is very inexperienced players besides three of us, and the fact that the DM and most of the players think Les Mis takes place before the revolution.

Le sigh.

So I'm running as a Noble Half-Elven Bard working as an aide to Lafayette in 1788 and general rabble-rouser. Myself, the Criminal Half-Elf Fighter, the Charlatan Half-elf Rogue, and the Noble Tiefling Druid are considering colluding together in a secret alliance against the others, with the purpose of getting us made rulers of France by the end of this.

What's the trolliest way we could take over and steer the revolution our way?

summon a literal troll

Sounds good. I'll mention it. But we're level 2. So...might be a while.

does anyone even play 5e
these threads are dead

amerilards are sleeping

Hope the Eurofags pic it up soon. Insomnia is killing me.

Too busy alternately laughing and crying about Brexit.

Waiting to hear the magic words from that limey fuckup Brian Johnson.

"We're gonna build a wall through the chunnel, and FRANCE is gonna pay for it, I swear on me mum ya cunt!"

So the Ravenloft adventure has dusk elves. Are those statted up anywhere as a subrace, or is there an indication anywhere of what subrace they're supposed to be? I didn't see any indication in Curse of Strahd, but maybe I'm blind.

just started a new campaign two days ago.

one of the PCs is a dwarf barbarian with the exiled background. He was framed for a murder he didn't commit back in his clan and was exiled as a result. In his seclusion he found out that the head priest of his clan, who exiled him, was actually a worshipper of some evil deity and framed his sacrifice as a murder on the pc. now he wants to return and get his revenge and save his clan.

the other PC is a gnome warlock. he is quite the charlatan with different fake identities and forged documents always ready on him. his ulterior motives for teaming up with the dwarf is that he wants to infiltrate the clan along with his dwarf "friend" but in time use the resources of the clan to summon the pit demon he has a pact with into the world somewhow.

Had an interesting idea for a game. Hoping to refine it and get some feedback from /5eg.

Okay, so session 1 the PCs play completely non-magic characters. There simply is no easy magic in-setting available. Also, everyone is human, or if they must be a demi-human they should play it as being human with some odd traits. The world is borderline RL Earth, though with different lands and cultures and whatnot.

Players are contracted to help a lord/researcher/eccentric row out to an island on the westernmost edge of the map and make sure he comes back from his expedition alive. He looks to be cataloging some sort of barbaric, long dead civilization, but it's easy money. While the lord or whatever does his research, players will deal with ancient traps, remnants of magical threats left behind (keep this rare and possibly explainable by other means), and occasionally hostile beasts or natives (goblinoids and a few others easily explainable).

Players will be mid level, and will only spend 1-2 sessions here before the lord finds what he's looking for: an ancient temple complex.The complex is dangerous, but the true danger is the Giant bound in stasis at its heart. This battle will take all the PCs' wits and skill to defeat, at which point the lord reveals his true intentions.

He opens an ancient bronze gate guarded by the monster, releasing Magic back into the world. Fantasy elements return, we skip 10 years to take up new characters. Dark Age Arthurian fantasy ensues. And Avalon rises once more.

youtube.com/watch?v=LGczmeOnKNQ

What do you think /5eg? Good setup for a new adventure?

I know I'd love it but it really depends on whether your players will take it (fairly) seriously or not

So I've been trying to make a pyromaniac ranger/sorcerer build, any ideas how to go about doing that?

>pic related; DM's face when I suggest that build

Easy.
Just go ranger/sorcerer by this ratio
0/x
Where 0 = ranger levels and x = sorcerer levels

They probably won't. Not sure if it would be better to let them know there's a sudden genre shift upcoming so they put up with not having magic or not.

Hey Veeky Forums a friend of mine wants to use this homebrew dandwiki.com/wiki/Soul_Reaper,_Variant_(5e_Class).

I know that dandwiki is shit for this kind of things and everything in general, personally i dislike this page a lot but he wants to play this shit so badly that I dont wanna say to him ''No, you cant use this because this shit is too OP'' but that shit is too OP and i don't know how to nerf it. Any ideas?

Just go full sorcerer and refluff your arcane implement as a bow.

Also:

>pyromaniac

Way to choose one of the 3 most boring, overplayed ideas in gaming.

Never mind, found the passage in Curse which describes them as basically Wood Elves. Have an elf I guess.

Tell him he is a faggot

It is too packed full of OPness that 1 or 2 nerfs won't make a difference. The only way to balance it is to make everything harder and have the other members feel useless. Basically, don't let him.

But user, pyromaniac is not
>sneaky rogue
>edgy tiefling
or
>elderly wizard

Sounds pretty that guy.

If they can make it work, more power to them.

Tell him you won't accept anything from that wiki, because it is generally accepted to be shit

Show him the death domain cleric and the undying patron warlock, if he doesn't want to play either of those then he's just trying to be a special snowflake

Death domain would be perfect for a reaper

>implying edgy tiefling is not invariably also a pyromaniac

What happens to the fetus when a pregnant druid transforms?

Anyone got pdfs of homebrew Witch Hunter class option?

It gets aborted

It's free on DMsguild

I guess it just gets "stored" like equipment
Magic, don't explain shit, etc

Funnily enough this ties to abortion. When is a fetus considered a new entity or life? At conception, at birth or at some other point?

who wants to create a character by rolling and then making a story for the character according to it's background and traits? I will use that as a villain in my campaign. Roll 1d10 for the race.

Technically as soon as its biological processes run independent (though parasitical) to it's host

For purposes of abortion as soon as the parasite is separated from the host organism

no

Parasite?

Yes, fetuses are, by definition, parasites

A fetus is by nature a parasitic organism until it can literally live on its own.

So I DM'd my first session of 5e yesterday. Went fairly well, although I was expecting to DM for four people and two extras showed up.

The added player count made encounters a bit too easy (running mine of phandelver), but they managed to split the party (hey let's chase this goblin over there while everyone else is looting, good idea!) which almost lead to a TPK. Sildar started grappling with Yeemik which drew some attention from the party so that they could get their shit together.

I realized that roleplaying the premade campaign characters (Sildar etc.) is much harder than I anticipated. I much rather just ad-lib everything, but at least two of my players have gone through some if not all of LMoP before (they dodged the question when I asked exactly how much) and they might start grumbling if I deviate from the script.
Does anyone have experience or advice about dealing with such players?

Pic slightly unrelated, planning to have a lamia that was banished to the feywild appear in a possible sidequest.

How would you guys rule 3.5 concealment's 20% miss chance in 5e? I understand that concealment is no longer a thing, but granting disadvantage seems way stronger than the 20% miss chance. Or should i just grant disadvantage since that's the way the system works now?

maybe granting bonus to AC? thoughts?

No a parasite cant be the same species as uts host.

Also is this some proaborts dehumanization of fetus?

Rules for being hidden and for using cover are in the PHB

Fetus also provides stem cells to its mother when they are injured.

Since I'm assuming you're the guy who posted the thread earlier, the simplest way is to go Fighter with the Eldritch Knight path. Take a bow, the ranged fighting style, and the Outlander background, and then take (almost) nothing but fire spells.

Yes it can, there is no species distinction in either the Merriam-Webster nor Oxford dictionary definitions

And not particularly, all children are parasites, even after they are born. They just go from biological to financial

Sort of this:
Except I'd go with Arcane Trickster/Eldritch Knight. Specifically EK 7/AT 3

Pros:
-6 Ability Score Improvements
-7d6 sneak attack dice
-Action surge for double casting once per rest
-Bonus action attack when you don't need cunning action or 2 attacks and cunning action or even versatile trickster when you need solo advantage and your familiar is not around to help
-Armor AND Shield proficiency so you can use a shield as a rogue for a nice AC boost
-Rogue Evasion and Uncanny Dodge with a little more Fighter health
-Perfectly concealed weapons summoned at will through Bond and Magical Ambush for starting encounters with a disabling spell like Hold Person
-Skill monkey with Expertise and Reliable Talent plus spell utility
-Full 1/3 Caster getting useful combat things like Greater Invisibility, Hold Person, Mirror Image, Haste, Find Familiar and Fly. Plus, double unrestricted school spell slots and double cantrips.

Cons:
-MAJOR bonus action throttling limiting you to using one class' tricks at a time
-Not sure if their spell levels actually stack properly by the RAW for multiclassing
-You are essentially just a bard with slightly more martial stuff and less magic and lacking the ability to be the party face
-Damage output will probably be slightly lower than going straight into either class alone
-Lacking the ability to specialize means you will be stepping on a lot of people's toes
-Going 8/12 may be better for an extra attribute improvement at the cost of versatile trickster and 1 sneak attack die. Or 9/11 give an indomitable die instead for the same loss.

that doesnt answer the question. 20% miss chance isnt cover or being hidden...

Whay creatures can be mounts on 5e?

So just roll a fucking d100. >20 it's a hit.

Depends on how you define concealment, but it's covered by those two things

Really edgey armchair biologist.

Any creature that is at least one size category larger than the rider, has an appropriate body shape and can be tamed

Hey, I just calls em how I sees em desu senpai

Hmm.... so basically disadvantage on attacks or +2 to +5 to AC and dex saves?

If it's AL run it as close to written as possible each time, the only thing you should be scaling up/down is the number of each type of creature in each encounter.

If it's a home game, do what you want. What I personally would do is pull the two guys who had played it before aside and give them a heads up that for a couple of reasons you're about to pull away from the script and you didn't want to spring that on them.

After that, though, get in the habit of warning non-AL tables first session that you might change anything or everything from the book. Even if you never actually change anything you've given them fair warning you might so they option is open and you've created enough doubt to take arguments about meta-gaming off the table. They might think you're running things the same way as the book, or as last time, but they won't know until they know.

Pretty much

Anyone have a prior ruling on what happens when someone attempts to revive a non-dead person with a Wish or True Ressurection spell?
I have a couple of ideas, but it may come up eventually.

>Full 1/3 Caster

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to cast 4th level spells, only cast lower spells at 4th level

Con save against super-cancer

I have never run D&D before and want to run 5th edition for some noobs.

How combat centric is this system? Which classes are good at doing stuff outside of combat for exploration? Do martials just hit meat points until bad guy meat points hit 0?

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Seems weird but that's how the 1/3 of class levels round down works out... You would think you could round 20/3 up to 7 like the subclasses themselves do but thems the breaks.

>How combat centric is this system?
Depends entirely on the DM but the published adventures and historical precedent place a pretty heavy emphasis on it.
>Which classes are good at doing stuff outside of combat for exploration?
Rogues and Bards are best at skills like sneaking and talking. Rangers are best at exploration. But every class has some out-of-combat skills.
>Do martials just hit meat points until bad guy meat points hit 0?
Some certainly work that way but most have some other unique options they can take in combat. Again, this depends on the DM as much as the characters to create interesting encounters.

>Rolling up a level 3 illusionist wizard for a new campaign I'm gonna be playing with friends
>Only 2/14 spells actually do damage
>Everyone is already telling me I'm going to be useless
We'll see who gets the last laugh

>Illusions
I hope you have a nice DM

what are the two spells? phantasmal force and phantasmal killer?

also damage isnt everything, only important when you need to kill things. you know, like when youre an adventurer. oh wait.

As a 14th level illusionist could you make an illusion of a dragon, make it real, and then have it use its frightful presence since it technically doesn't do damage or do direct harm? I have been wanting to make an illusionist for reasons like that but I am afraid the DM will reject it.