Mini Six / D6 System

Mini Six and D6 System general discussion thread.
Anyone play this? Any houserules or settings to share? Thoughts on the possibility of a new version of Mini Six?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijSkNpdHBoek5yeE0/edit
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijUUpqUDBPYjU1aDA/edit
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijZ3JPZU9HbUtLSVE/edit
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijQkJlZHpkUGtROU0/edit
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Haven't played, but like what I see. Going to use it for an SMT game.

Sweet. I always thought Fate or OVA would be a better choice for SMT/Persona (although probably more the latter), but who knows, this might actually work better.

>new version of Mini Six
Fuck yeah, please. Mini Six is the best version of d6 I've seen, frankly it needs an update. The original seemed a little bare.

One day I'll run a Heavy Gear game with it, but sadly not for a while. Got too many other campaigns on the backburner.

>Anyone play this?
I do!

>Any houserules or settings to share?
I converted Jovian Chronicles to D6, based on the HGd6 setting.
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijSkNpdHBoek5yeE0/edit
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijUUpqUDBPYjU1aDA/edit
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijZ3JPZU9HbUtLSVE/edit
drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijQkJlZHpkUGtROU0/edit

The biggest things I struggled with were movement and ranges. Mini Six and HGd6 both use Speed Codes for movement and ranges are just fudged into short, medium, long, ect, like SW1e, but they're a bit difficult to wrap one's head around and actually use, and SW2e's actual measured movement and ranges feel like they require a grid, and I feel D6 works a lot better with theater of the mind. I'm still struggling to find an easy way to handle abstract movement and distance.

Another issue I had were small differences in dice codes meant big differences in results. A weapon that does 3D damage is going to have a surprisingly hard time doing any significant damage against something with an armor of 4D, and that's not even getting in to the Blaster-Proof Wookie issues of WEG's past. Using the Body Points variant rule for damage does alleviate this somewhat, but body points are just HP, and this is an extremely boring fix that completely removes one of the D6 system's more distinguishing features.

Honestly I think the whole system could be improved by scrapping the "add total of all dice" thing entirely, and instead make it a successes-based system like Shadowrun, which is a thing a number of homebrews have done.

>Thoughts on the possibility of a new version of Mini Six?
Wait, is that a thing that's happening?

Apparently, there's a few posts on the AntiPaladin Games website talking about a new revision in the works. All I know is that he's going to revise the magic system add vehicle customization, and rewrite the rules to read better.

...But Shadowrun is a dreadful system user.
Still, you are truly based for converting Jovian Chronicles. Maybe one day I'll finally get to run the Gundam campaign I've always wanted, with a system that isn't dog crap.
Although I guess Fate fits that too... I guess it boils down to which book I grab first now.

>...But Shadowrun is a dreadful system user.
Your opinion on shadowrun itself is irrelevant, I only used it as an example of the "each die is a success or not" as opposed to "sum total of all dice rolled."

Well, it was a bad example. If you'd had said nWoD instead I'd be sold.
In any case, I quite like how d6 works as-is and can't see what benefits switching to a successes-based system would give it. If you're having trouble with actually hurting something, this is why the wild die typically explodes.

>Well, it was a bad example. If you'd had said nWoD instead I'd be sold.
user are you capable of separating a part from a whole? In this context shadowrun or WoD or RoS or have exactly the same viability, they're all systems that count successes instead of sum totals.

>and can't see what benefits switching to a successes-based system would give it
Tighter math, less wild results, and less having to rely on pure luck (like the Wild Die), mainly. There'd be a significantly smaller difference between 3d6 and 4d6 while still allowing the one with more dice to keep the edge, without having to rely on wild luck.

The wild luck is part of the pulpy feel behind d6 I like. It's a bit like Savage Worlds in that respect, another system I adore.
Still, different strokes for different folks. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it's just not my personal taste.

бaмп

Not Mini 6, but WEG's original D6 system was the second rules set I learned after D&D, originally as part of their Star Wars rpg, and shortly after Open D6 was the first generic system I was conversant with. It was my first group's go-to generic system, we played about nine campaigns with it. Good times.

No great stories to tell or great advice to give, a lot of my fondness for it is rooted in nostalgia, I think. Not that I don't like it now or think it's aged particularly poorly, I just never get a chance to play it these days because it's out of vogue. Savage Worlds fills roughly the same niche D6 used to, as a rules-medium universal system, and has some nifty rules features D6 didn't.

I like Savage Worlds' miniatures focus. I may as well get some use out of the fuckers that isn't a wargame.
But yeah, d6 works better without that sort of thing, even if only for the fact you're more likely to knock stuff around with a larger dicepool to roll.

Rules for super powers using D6 System. I still looking for something more "simple" for MiniSix, but Mythic D6 is okay.

bastard, I was only just on a lookout for this, today I downloaded the mini six and the whole West End Games D6 line

I remember this one, the "finished" book is full of errors.

I actually use this for most of my games nowadays. I've written up a few modules for it, too. One on playing in mythic Japan, one for playing in a fantasy Stone Age/Stone Age-using cultures, one for Wild West quick-draw gunfights, and a mirror of that for sword fights like iai-jutsu.

Currently also working on a space opera expansion module that isn't just a copy of Star Wars OpenD6. I'll post the four modules I've finished so far.

I also use d6 module of Jovian Chronicles and Heavy Gear for my mecha stuff depending on its feel of either Gundams or VOTOMS. Might even be 's module.

Aside from the ones here I've finished and the space opera and cyberpunk modules/setting-specific expansions I'm working on, my d6 folder also has a sky pirates dieselpunk folder that I've effectively finished (but it's in three different "pieces,"), a module for Dark Sun someone made, a module for playing against demons in the modern world that someone made, the Heavy Gear/Jovian Chronicles that I mentioned before, a VERY custom Mass Effect hack of OpenD6 that runs kind of okay but has unnecessary bloat, a fun little MiniSix module for playing American Light Infantry in WW2, one called "Rocket Rangers," for playing really retro science fiction with rayguns and whatnot, something called "Scarrport, City of Secrets," (I think it's supposed to be like Dishonored, but I haven't looked at it in a very long time), OpenD6 Star Wars PDFs by the bucketload, and a module called "Zombies Ate My Best Man."

It's a really fun system, and if I can't find a "module," for a setting (basically the skill set up for the setting-specific game and whatever minor rules and equipment that needs to be there for it) then I make one myself--that's what d6 Bushio and d6 Stone are.

>drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K6m56dGFijUUpqUDBPYjU1aDA/edit

OH, SO IT WAS YOU!

I love you for making this, I've been in love with that conversion for years.

Although I have a big problem with the way you handled dodge. You used the original SW D6 1.0 rules, which say that you add your dodge roll successes to the TN of the attackers, and that is super broken, because that means it's basically impossible to hit anything.

I'd suggest using the combat rules from the first edition SW supplement

>supplement

I meant errata, which came as pamphlet with the first few modules.

>Shadowrun is a dreadful system user
>If you'd had said nWoD instead I'd be sold

Agreed. I actually much prefer the MiniSix approach to using either a flat Dodge number that isn't added to the difficulty unless the shot faces other difficulties (like range) anyway, or their version of the OpenD6 Dodge thing where the number rolled replaces the TN of the shot if they were just standing still.

>implying any edition of Shadowrun isn't godawful clunky dogshit
>also implying that, for all its flaws, nWoD 1e didn't get shit done and get it done fast when necessary
if I see that fucking cat one more time

I really wish this were a more common general. I love it.

>Thoughts on the new possibility of a new Md6?
The guy who made that announcement also said he's tried and failed several times to get it off the ground. So I'm skeptical. But you never know. Something might come of it. That would be neat.

On another note, it's impossible to know what kind of art to put up here, since it can be used for anything if it looks like it plays in a cinematic fashion.

Mini Six's precalculated defenses are best. It's why I love that version so much, I hate most systems where combat degenerates into a roll-off every time someone takes a swing.

do you happen to have it anywhere? could you post it?

Sure, my dude.

Part 1 of 4

2 of 4

3 of 4

4 of 4

So basically, instead of adding your dodge rolls to the TN, you can choose to substitute the TN for your rolls, which makes much more sense.
To add it to the TN now you have to forfeit all your actions in the round.

This made the game actually playable. In the pre-errata rules, you'd end up with shit like 20+ defense every round, which was basically impossible to hit.

Any guidelines for creating new races? Would like to do something like PDF related for other settings.

>Implying nWoD isn't godawful nebulous dogshit
Seriously though, I think they're just different flavours of shit.
The core systems for shadowrun 4-5e and even 3e where all perfectly workable. The majority of it's problems came from a million spot rules and equipment bloat.

nWoD has pretty much the same basic system as SR4-5e, add two dice pools together, count hits, with a bit of 3e there too, re-roll certain types of hits. It was really light but not consistent, in some places it was incredibly vague about what Atts and Skills (or other numbers) needed to be used and really specific in others. Moreover, the places where it did have lots of rules, like combat, tended to have some fucked up math and could be really easily abused.
It's a system that seems caught between rules-lite and medium crunch and mostly comes off as wishy-washy. It could be fast but also stupidly arbitary and abuseable.

Of course in many ways the same can be said of SR. Instead it could be detailed but also stupidly implemented and abuseable.

At the end of the day I'v found both systems to play pretty similar. Ultimately it's about which way you want to houserule. In SR you play and ignore some of the more fiddly tables too keep the pace up until you feel confident enough too add them back in. In nWoD you put up with the shitty subsystems until you are confident enough to replace them with your own judgement.

As a GM/ST do you want to wrestle with autistic detail to keep the game from slowing down or do you want to wrestle with rulings to keep everything from becoming arbitrary bullshit.

>tl;dr both are heavily flawed but playable systems. It just depends on whether you want a hard crap taken in chunks or soft crap with chunks in it. ether way the core mechanics are solid but the subsystems are shit.
>SR is shit if you want fast. nWoD is shit if you want consistency or detail

sorry you had to see that cat, heres a fox instead

This.

Praising nWoD and bashin Shadowrun is a pretty dumb thing to do.

If you've played both, you know they're both completely playable but broken in some aspects and subsystems.

Neither is perfect, both do what they intend to in a workable fashion. If you try to do something that they weren't made for, you'll struggle with the rules.

If you want fast pick up and play that requires little commitment to the rules, SR will fuck your shit up.

If you want something that tells you exactly how to play out every situation and doesn't require a lot of interpretaion of vague rules by the group, nWoD will give you an aneurism.

Page 10 bump.

Never been in a situation where I've had to make a ruling in NWoD that wasn't blindingly obvious, and I say this as someone who ran it for something like seven years.
Tried SR 4e once. Never again. Fuck that.

Holy shit the staples in my copy of Mini Six are rusting, hope that rumour about a new edition is true

Here's the teaser for my SMT game:

Penal Regiment D-15, “The Damned”
Near the end of the year 2178, the Federation of Nations passed a motion creating the first “high-risk criminal operations” team in the world, D-1, nicknamed “Disposables”. Under the command of the FN chairman, the Disposables were tasked with high-risk field operations where it was either not cost effective, or simply not feasible, to utilize drones or orbital strikes in the execution of sanctioned actions of warfare. Since then, there have been more than seventy Disposable teams mobilized, culled from the worst of the worst the world’s crowded prisons had to offer.
You are part of one such regiment, situated in the Arctic Circle. Codenamed D-15, nicknamed “The Damned,” your mission is the investigate an ancient city buried deep within the ice. Four teams have entered, and only one has returned – their minds shattered by whatever they experienced, with even the best and brightest neurologists and psions unable to restore them to function.
Your mission: explore the sunken city, uncover the origin of its existence, and if possible recover any artifacts that may lie within.