Dishonored RPG

vg247.com/2016/06/21/harvey-smith-wants-dishonored-to-become-a-pen-and-paper-rpg/?hootPostID=9745df7bd1079f298a6e686de8ec6263

>Harvey Smith: Well, one of my hopes is that someday we can release a pen and paper RPG. It’s partially because we have all of this art and all of this world lore and all of these details that it’d be just fantastic to put into something like that. It’d turn over to the players the ability to inspect and go deeper and so on.

Would Veeky Forums play this? I know there've been a veritable slew of Dishonored style games borne of Kickstarter etc, late victorian *thing*punk with supernatural influence. But an actual game from the minds of the people that made the videogame and the world? That sounds like it'd be exciting as hell.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HSRewknGUeY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's no guarantee that the game would be anywhere in the vicinity of "good".

Honestly, I'd pick it up just for the lore details. Dishonoured did a fantastic job of establishing a vast, fascinating world that you only ever caught a narrow glimpse of. I'd love some published resources to tell my own stories in that world and in that style. If the system was good that would be a plus, but it wouldn't be hard to sub something else in.

I fucking love Dishonored, though I can't help but feel that my love is tied up in the characters as much as the world. Not sure if there's much space to step into that world with your own creations. Also don't know if a group focused RPG would fit a setting that's all about a grossly overpowered protagonist and how much restraint they choose to exercise.

I'm in agreement with this, though. More information about the world is good, and may open up spaces where it won't feel like you're playing in Corvo/Emily/etc's shadow.

Also, gonna mention Blades in the Dark since that's a mashup of Dishonored, Thief, Fallen London and a couple of other things. Even called the default setting Duskwall before wisely changing it to something less copyright infringing.

I'd play it . I really liked dishonoureds world building and the magic, especially how the outsider truly seems neutral and like he didn't care about anyone.

He's an ancient supernatural entity who doesn't seem to have an agenda besides being entertained. His #1 wish for those he marks is "be interesting." Which is pretty handy when it comes to dishing out supernatural abilities to PCs.

I wonder how they'd structure access to those powers, though. I can't see an entire group running around with a protagonist's toolkit, so it'd most likely be a shared power pool like the Whalers and the Brigmore Witches have. Who is the source of power then, though? Picking a single PC who everything hinges upon isn't great, and having an NPC master/source locks down what a group can do a fair bit.

Well, Dishonored 2 has confirmed that Emily and Corvo will each have a unique powerset, so it seems like The Outsiders marks can manifest in unique ways depending on the individual.

John Harper's blades in the dark already accomplished this.

Indeed, and I'm fairly sure Daud and Corvo had a few distinct powers while still sharing things like Blink etc.

Daud in particular seems to be able to gift his powers to his followers which sounds really cool. They can all blink if nothing else.

Theres a game in development called Blades in the Dark; its setting and style of game play is heavily influenced by Dishonored. Ran a session of the early access and so far, its good.

Oh, most definitely, but you're still dealing with a protagonist grade set of powers. Look at Domino. That alone is an insanely powerful tool. Having an entire group with a diverse set of abilities as powerful as that is going to make it difficult to challenge them in the conventional "you are in a fight" sense. I'm not thinking so much about PCs being unique enough, more about how you challenge a group like that without frequently throwing supernatural opposition around.

Blades is great. The ruleset would fit into the world of Dishonored quite well, though you may have to retune the Whisper a little bit since ghosts aren't the apocalypse scale problem they are in the default setting.

I would probably play it. I liked the game setting but the whole "chaos and order doesn't really make sense but it creates a weird meta-narrative with each replay" thing wasn't explained well enough to be as neat as it could have been.

My #1 question would be game mechanics. If they build it on a good engine I'd be total game for it but a good setting can't save a bad engine.

Part of me says "just build it on 5e but with new classes and equipment" but I know how that disaster ends: there's always some idiot trying to port 5e core classes over to a new setting even when the book says not to and there's always a corresponding idiot trying to talk his DM into letting him play Corvo in Faerun. The last thing we need is something that even looks vaguely like an official sourcebook encouraging them.

Cool setting is cool! Would love to see something come of it, but the rulesystem might be everything from awesome and form-fitting to total shitshow. If it's the latter, just throw it out and use whatever system you like.

I also imagine that high level D&D characters, with their massive damage sponge HP pools, wouldn't fit in a setting/game where death often comes suddenly and in a single blow.

Why in the fuck would you use D&D for this?
>lots of social interaction/bluffing/negotiation
>detailed combat depending on ambushes, executions and crit-hits.
Any other system would work better, I imagine?

Simply because I have known the heartbreak of too many officially license RPGs that took deep and rich universes with sometimes literally millions of fans and produced some godawful pile of crap with rules that read like the kind of thing that never makes it into a homebrew fantasy heartrbeaker to start with.

I like Dishonored enough to hope it comes out with something actually playable and I feel the best hope for that is the most playtested RPG system in history. Which is a pipe dream because WotC hates dealing with any IP they don't own lock, stock, and Planeswalker.

I agree with this.

It wouldn't. You really would have to engage in a massive, compatibility-breaking rewrite of all classes, races, equipment, and NPCs, but you could still hang on to the base dice mechanics and build from there.

The problem would be that you would end up with two books that use the same dice mechanics but have wildly differing values and trying to cross them would be completely disastrous. The Dishonored classes would almost certainly be ridiculously OP to make up for super weak races and that would make crossover characters either unplayable fragile or stupidly OP.

The idea might be solid with enough work but WotC is never going to let a game out the door with a stamp that says "based on, but completely incompatible with, Dungeons&Dragons."

The Blades system probably works better. Doing any given thing in the Dishonored is pretty easy, but there's often unforeseen or undesired consequences, which is the result of most rolls in BitD. Sure, you can shank that guard, but someone might see you, or they might spot you and get a swing in first. Not sure how its rules for Harms and healing would port over, though I'm guessing that the elixirs only serve as instant health potions for the sake of gameplay.

The only issue with Blades for Dishonored is that it doesn't really do off the cuff magic, especially since there aren't many example rituals out there. From my understanding the way you get spells you can fire off quickly is that you do a ritual ahead of time and effectively store the result until later, when you release it.

The easiest alternative I can think of (aside from just making it all narrative positioning) is to make a new playbook for those with Outsider powers, but then that doesn't quite feel right. Corvo wasn't just some sorcerous assassin, he was a master swordfighter and agile type who had the ability to teleport and summon hordes of rats bolted onto his skillset.

That sounds very similar to the FFG Star Wars die mechanic in that it allows for partial successes or failures with positive side effects.

It's a bit different. All dice are d6s, pools are generally quite small (generally 2 to 3 dice), and the highest result is the one that matters. A single 6 results in an unconditional success, where a 4-5 means complications. Depending on your narrative position (ie how chancy what you were doing was) this ranges from taking a bit more time or doing a lacklustre job to crippling harm or a truly disastrous consequence. A 1-3 means you've fucked it and probably face consequences, occasionally with the out of rolling again under even more perilous circumstances.

You can dodge those consequences with stress, though that's a finite resource which leads to permanent trauma if you overuse it, so you're encouraged to take lesser complications on the chin. Even then, you may only be able to mitigate the consequence and it's still something that happened. You just managed to handle it in some way. Slipping behind a pillar quickly as the patrol approaches, flinging yourself off the roof before being riddled with bullets, etc. It's quite like Dishonored where you might blink out of immediate danger, only to find yourself stuck in a corner with a charging arc pylon nearby.

>Daud in particular seems to be able to gift his powers to his followers which sounds really cool. They can all blink if nothing else.
They can blink and resist poison like he does, yes. That's stated in the main game. According to Brigmore Witches, Daud's Blink also works slightly differently from Corvo's, in that time freezes if you blink while not touching any other buttons, so it allows for crazy midair changes of direction. He can also share a few other powers, but doesn't have windblast or rat summoning or any of Corvo's crazy offense powers in general.
Granny Rags also has blink and rat summoning at the least, possibly combined. If you ever try shooting her, she vanishes and gets replaced by a rat swarm, and does it a lot during her fight.
So different Outsider marked people manifest similar powers in very different ways.

Personally I'd use Dark Heresy were I to run a game set in the Dishonored universe.

And then have the players be the Overseers? There's an interesting idea

Goddammit Arkane, give me The Crossing!

youtube.com/watch?v=HSRewknGUeY

I want my french urban revolt meets middle ages on steroids, with a three way fight between gangstas, the GIGN and bioengineered templars.

Also why did you get rid of Arx Fatalis magic system and Dark Messiah swordfights? ;_;

About the tabletop: Wait and see. Dishonored is a good setting for a vg, but it's nothing really extraordinary as pen & paper settings go; and too much would depend on the execution to be really excited about it now.

It's certainly a lethal enough system, and probably has the right balance of combat to social/investigative mechanics. Would probably take a bit of time to come up with new talents and the right skills for it, though aptitudes would mean you could sidestep designing endless career rank tables.

As much as I loved the boot of glory, Dishonored's swordplay is pretty solid. Besides, now we have Windblast.

Isn't Blades in the Dark basically Dishonored but with ghosts instead of The Outsider?

so, how would you allow powers for those chosen by the outsider?

by archetype?
the Mover
the Unseen
the Bloody Butcher
the Controller

or just coming up with power-sets?
what powers are there in the DLC(not played it, but I like Dishonored a lot and a game set in a setting like this will have all the mechanics I want)

so we have Blink in a couple of flavors
Wind-Blast
that thing that dusts a stealth-killed opponent
possession of people and creatures

I imagine, some of the following might be good
push/pull; however you can only push or pull no character can do both("you have to be more creative" laughs the outsider)
a double jump of some kind
a bank of fog that nobody and nothing can see through(not even you)
lighting a fire at range
functionally, a flashbang

Why not just release a Blades in the Dark supplement? The game is inspired by Dishonored already.

where's my magical whaling ship sim

here you go

It would mostly be a setting book, but for some reason I'm thinking the new pen and paper Witcher RPG. It would do gritty fighting and low magic, but maybe I'm just thinking videogame adaptions.

They're just spitballing it right now, it's not like unique licensed RPG is already on the way. It's entirely possible the developers will go with that, especially since it could help reduce some footwork on their part.

I'm not sure that they would. Blades is very focused on the crew, to the extent where it's more or less a given that the PCs will have subordinates at the very least, if not gangs under their control. Also, PCs tend to come and go thanks to the Trauma and Wanted systems. The setting is a good fit for playing criminal crews in the world of Dishonored, but I don't see it being particular fit for purpose if you want to play individual agents.

Good fit for a campaign based around a Whaler/Brigmore Witches style group, of course.

from their comments it seems like they just want an outlet to release the worldbuilding they worked on of which an rpg is just an immediately obvious solution

I think an alternative like a "world of dishonoured" or an artbook or concept book would be better personally

They already put out an artbook with some fluff in it. Dunwall Chronicles, I think.

Oh and now this literally just popped up on my feed.

nice

11/10, hell yes I would

The actual video game wasn't but it still has fans somehow

>Dishonored wasn't good

Seriously though, I love the Dishonored designs. The ships look like scifi ironclads, which is something i never thought i'd want.

Well in the mean time if you're thirsty...

Dishonored was fucking trash dude, it gets WAY too much credit for being the only original IP AAA game to come out the year it did in a sea of threequels. The pacing is shit, the story is insanely predictable and the gameplay is incredibly linear. The only interesting things about it were potentially the setting, which they quickly sweep under the rug to focus the spotlight on their contrived plot, and the Outsider. Rating it higher than 5/10 is delusional

Thanks /v/ we didn't want things to get too fun in here did we?

someone seems salty that their favourite title did not get any love

I don't even remember what else came out that year honestly, I think it was Gears of War 3 and Space Marine? Either way, not really noteworthy competition. But people heaping all this praise on Dishonored are either lying to themselves or lying to you, pick one.

I don't browse /v/, I just like to point out when people have shit opinions

>I just like to point out when people have shit opinions
so you must talk to your self alot then?

>No u
Good one

>I don't browse /v/
Are you banned from there for 'spamming'?

Its gameplay was fantastic though and it had an amazing art style. While I agree that the Plot could have been much better, it was a solid game with plenty of replay value.

Plus, the DLC did a lot for world-building.

>interesting things about it were potentially the setting
the STFU on the rest and think of ways to run THAT, system, special mechanics, powers, tech. focus on that instead of being SO VERY butthurt that not everyone agrees with your opinions.

I don't agree with most of what you say, but I also do not care if it means we get a well thought out RPG for this universe or similar universes.

If you consider literally just teleporting around the map to be fantastic gameplay I don't know what to tell you. That was pretty much the only ability that mattered in the stealth tree, for what few abilities you actually got if you wanted to play that way. The overwhelming majority of abilities were focused on the only other playstyle available, which was charge in head first and kill everything. So I guess you're right that it has replay value in the sense that you can play it again on easy mode by just focusing on combat.

>Counting DLC
Nah

Fuck off namefag

I'm happy only because there will be time stop powers.

>My specific experience is the only one

Combat was great, the environments were fun to explore and messing around with powers was fun.

Also
>Not doing a no powers run

Pathetic. You're pretty much the exact opposite of the kind of person who would enjoy Dishonored.

>The game can only be enjoyable if you go out of your way to play it the way the developers definitely didn't intend it to be played
Doesn't sound like an endorsement for a good game to me

Actually all the powers make it harder to get the good story ending, so it is in fact exactly how the game was meant to be played you retarded tween.

The rush of power to my dick when I found out I could Za Warudo, oooooh fuck me

People say Blink was the most useful ability, I say being able to pass by everyone unnoticed, take them out and move through walls of light unhindered simultaneously was way better.

there is an achievement for a no powers run if my memory serves

Literally the only metric by which the good ending is obtained is how many people you killed. I guess if you're a retard and want to play it like some kind of melee juggernaut, then yes, all the powers do make it harder to get the good ending because they make it easier for you to just murder people. But the only power that mattered was the teleport power anyway.

"Just Flesh and Steel" is an achievement where you beat the game without using any powers. It's a bonus. The challenge is fun to strive for.

Oh, and it's perfectly enjoyable when played with powers. There's so much to do after all.

You must have missed out.

>But the only power that mattered was the teleport power anyway
>what is time stop

Spoken like a true scrub.
Go whine about 40k in one of your baby threads already.

Wrong. It's about how much Chaos you generate. Death is just one factor.

I must have missed out because all I can remember are the levels being linear as fuck with two obvious routes to go down and some other dead end alleyways that you can explore and jerk off with the Outsider. "So much to do," is not something I would say about this game

>Vigor
>Bloodthirsty
>Agility

You haven't actually played Dishonored, have you?

>all I can remember are the levels being linear as fuck with two obvious routes to go down and some other dead end alleyways
You can just say you're stupid and bad at video games.

It's alright son.

I played it when it came out and never looked back because it's a fucking trash game that gets overhyped by retards on the internet

You first, pal

You either only played the First Mission and completely ignored exploring the level, or haven't played the game at all and are just spouting /v/ bullshit.

>linear as fuck with two obvious routes
so you didn't bother looking for the routes that weren't obvious?

no yeah, you must just be a troll

Look, if you want to debate a topic, at least be a somewhat knowledgeable about it. And have some degree of competence in playing video games.

>Come to a thread to complain.
>It's obvious to everyone you're just retarded and haven't played the game.
>Just to double down on your stupidity.
>Literally a baby man.
>"No you're all wrong I am the rightness!"
Lel

40kids these days

I completed the whole fucking game and got the good ending. The "twist" where all of your allies betray you in your shitty little shanty town was visible a mile away, the only challenging part of the whole game was infiltrating the fortress in the final level. There honestly wasn't much to explore at all, I pretty much looked everywhere and tried to squeeze every minute out of the $60 I spent on it but there just weren't that many minutes to be had. The main campaign took probably 10 hours to play and left such a bad taste in my mouth for being both uninspired and boring that I didn't bother playing it again.

>Hurr ur just bad at video gaems
>Hurr /v/
>Ur a trole!
>N-nuh, uh. M-my g-ga-g-game is gud!
So are you actually going to defend this travesty or are you just going to spout memes like you're accusing me of?

>Being this mad you had to prep the bull.
lel mate

Well glad to see Veeky Forums is as shit as it's always been and has nothing useful to say

>linear

Are you sure you're talking about Dishonored? It's Thief with magic powers.

Killing people is the main thing that matters. Most missions are a choice to either kill a target or ruin their life in some other way. One or two of the side missions increased "Chaos", but the implication was that people would die because of what you did. It would've been interesting if killing certain main targets quietly decreased Chaos more than branding their face or causing a riot by broadcasting their secret plans or whatever. More of a gray and gray morality.

Well, this thread is ruined.

Maybe it just wasn't for you and there's not actually anything wrong with the people who did manage to enjoy it?

We have been. You're the one who's citing their anecdotes like it's the Word of God. You keep bringing up plot and shit. We're talking about gameplay and other such things.

ALSO
>$60

Ahahaha. I can't believe you would buy any game at full price and cite yourself as some kind of authority on Video Games. Especially a single player one.

and I was hoping it would have some potential.

now it's just Rape-user all over again, but this one isn't even pretending to be debating civilly...

>Literally a 40kuck.
Can't make this shit up.

It's fine, if you can't take the piss out of a cuck while discussing games you should get off Veeky Forums.

It's pretty great really, getting the dudes to turn on their own is always the best.

I haven't seen a single post that has brought up anything in defense of this game other than "Nuh, uh you just didn't do it right"

>Complaining that people buy games
And you're accusing ME of being from /v/?

Nigga, I'm the only one debating, you faggots are just clamping your hands over your ears and shouting as loud as you can as if being the most voluminous makes you the most right.

Dishonoured has never been $60 you pathetic retarded.

lel

Have you considered the fact that you just sucked at the game?

Buying at full price, user. There's a difference.

There it is again!

Sweet ad hominem, retard. That really convinced me that this game was worth any amount of money

>All this strawmanning

We get it user, you don't like Dishonored. Now fuck off so we can actually discuss making a system.

>All this strawmanning
Oh you mean the strawmanning that you faggots are doing to me? To try to misrepresent what I said or just call me out on shit that's untrue and even if it was, doesn't matter? Thank you for defending me, glad to see that Veeky Forums isn't 100% full of retards

lel you cuck'd yourself.

No wonder you're so mad at the bull.

How would you do the magic management though, you'd have to be able to replenish mana with the elixirs and such.

I'm being honest user. It really sounds like you just were really bad at the game and didn't explore what it had to offer. Maybe now that you're not as retarded as your younger self, you might be able to truly enjoy the game.

>lel
>cuck
Man you really are a brainwashed retard, get some sunlight and don't spend all your free time on the internet

Spell points are a thing in multiple systems and I can see it working here.

All I've done is address each of your concerns in a manner that makes sense. You literally might have just fucked up while playing.

>Resort to decade old reaction images after being BTFO.
Sorry, I only address people with self respect.

The bull is waiting for you champ.

Could work, just have a pool you tap into that doesn't replenish..or maybe it would slowly like after a couple days? Depending on how long you figure Corvo is taking between sorties.

nah, what you're doing is shouting opinions and claiming them to be correct, using name-calling and awful debate tactics.

Rape-user, despite advocating for rape, was calm and civil and didn't resort to calling people names. he just very emphatically used the "undefinable term" debate tactic and nothing else, despite evidence to the contrary.

that said people here yelling at you aren't being totally civil either, just more civil than you.

Well, Piero's Remedy, while not as common as Sokolov's Elixir, is found throughout the city. Using it would be more than enough to replenish some points. You could add other "spiritual" things like incense or meditation as ways of replenishing points.