/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk
mediafire.com/download/9gu6411up62pc64/Deathwatch_Great_Crusade_Testing_Ground.rar
youtube.com/watch?v=bCwP3Dm52Ls
dropbox.com/s/ps0463fil43wsvz/PrismaticFire DH 2e Character Creator v0.9.9.2.xlsm?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/89d9cfifidhd04q/PrismaticFire DH 2e Character Creator v0.9.9.3.xlsm?dl=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Man, say what you will about DH1E vs DH2E but the design and formatting of the DH2E core rulebook is gorgeous

Design is good, but the content/crunch is too streamlined and generisized. It's lost all the flavour.

Felt the same way when I read the DH2 CRB first, but the additional source material added some flavour. While not enough yet it's a nice start.

>it became a less of a fucking slog to play with
>"lost the flavour"

nice use of buzzwords to try and covey your shitty opinion

Not to dismiss your opinion, first user, but I do find it a lot less clunky. Could you elaborate on your point?

Dark Heresy investigations that would go better than expected but won't because of incompetent PCs.

Go

Noble murder mystery.

Friendly charitable religious organisation is actually a genestealer cult.

The majority if my group is anything to go by.

Babysitting the planetary governor's toddler

on a square grid how big is the sentinel?

Using what for increments?

When was it a slog? Is your IQ in double digits so you can't handle even this?

Rereading my post, I seem to have worded it very, very wrongly, so let me elaborate.

My problem is not with the crunch (which didn't change that much), but with the setting and fluff that is built on it. The descriptions for everything is so generic and vague so it could fit with anything that it lacks real character. There are no interesting/freaky options/weapons/gear/augmentations, and sector fluff is just badly written.

Only War, nothing more.

What measurmennts are you using? How big is each square? 1 foot? 1 meter? 10 meters?

>The descriptions for everything is so generic and vague so it could fit with anything that it lacks real character. There are no interesting/freaky options/weapons/gear/augmentations, and sector fluff is just badly written.
Because it addresses a valid point of the first edition:everything was locked into the Calixis sector, which is great for generic games that go by the book, bad for gms who want their own sector or fluff.
However, I am an old school gm who feels tha t it is best to make my own shit up, giving me full control over the world and what's in it, compared to something in a book (not for the least of reasons so some d-bag player can't point to the fucking book and try to tell me how to run my game).
Your opinion seems endemic to the 3e generation where setting specific details seem to be more important than anything else, rather than the info in the book being the underpinnings of what the gm wants to present.
Thats not increments.

one meter, a human occupies one square while a chimera 6 x 3 or 5 x 3 depending on variant

>Thats not increments
Sorry, i'm not a native english speaker, so, "increment" and "supplement" does have the same meaning for me. What is a "increment"?

see
Also,lrn2Google, then lrn2Merican.

So in Only War, does the heavy's stabilize ability change the modifiers of suppressing fire (which was like -20 or -30) to a +10 instead?

>Your opinion seems endemic to the 3e generation where setting specific details seem to be more important than anything else, rather than the info in the book being the underpinnings of what the gm wants to present.
No. I just like reading things that have character in them. And DH2 stuff is too bland even for a purposedly generic text - when the descriptions for background/roles are written in a way to allow anything to go with everything (fluff-wise, at least), it starts to feel that there's no point in picking anything at all, since it's all the same.
As for building stuff - I can build my OC Donut steel fluff off either generic or specific base, but I like to work with stuff that can give inspiration rather than a tasteless gruel.

No, because supressive fire is a particular action with particular rules, not a semi or full auto fire action.
>it starts to feel that there's no point in picking anything at all, since it's all the same.
People like you actually exist?
It's like I'm listening to a 4e D&D argument where how something works in the game is second to how it's written about in the book.

A bit weird on it, but it looks like a no since it is shooing to suppress with hitting being an incidental bonus.

The homebrew regimental creation pdf is missing half the entry for siege infantry.

Askellon is bland sector because it's doomed and already in decline. Calixis was a strong sector, that was suffering problems. Askellon is a corpse on life support. Calixis is set up so you can prevent major things before they get out of hand. Askellon is set up that the worst has already happened, and you're trying to keep the remnants going by pissing in a sea of piss.

If your players aren't nuking apparently charitable organizations on sight, it's worse than mere incompetence.

You have pics like that for the rest of the guard?

Warhammer 40k is basically the pinnacle of escapist nerd fantasy because the stoic, antisocial virgins of the Space Marines/Battle Sisters are the strongest and most competent forces in the galaxy while the sexhaver normies of the Imperial Guard/citizenry basically exist as cannon fodder breeders that live to be slaughtered by everything else in the galaxy until the proud noble virgins show up to save them. There's humans in the Tau Empire too but they're all race traitor degenerates so who gives a shit what happens to them.

Warhammer 40k basically exists in a continuity where millions of Elliot Rodgers exist and have been made into supermen by God Himself.

"like I'm listening" is (most likely unintentiuonally) a very right choice of words, because you're not listening, you're reading part of the statement that confirms to your preexisting conclusions and gleefuly jumping to them without bothering to actually analyse it.
I'm criticizing the writing, whil you think I'm criticizing the crunch. Pay more attention to the context next time.

>all of this projecting

>If your players aren't nuking apparently charitable organizations on sight, it's worse than mere incompetence
You can't assume every charitable org is secretly evil, because the second you do, you just nuked the Universal Guardsman Relief Fund in the name of the Inquisition, pissed off its Ministorum backers, the Guard, the Arbites, and the Munitorium in one go, and now your inquisitor is calling you up to remind you what happens when you assume and recommend the proper length of rope for your impending hanging.

>Hanging
That isn't a purification pyre.

No, because the writing is superseding the crunch in your mind, as evidenced by
>when the descriptions for background/roles are written in a way to allow anything to go with everything (fluff-wise, at least), it starts to feel that there's no point in picking anything at all, since it's all the same
No one who PLAYS the game can say that, if only because cursory knowledge of the setting tells you there is a difference between the 3 motes that make up a character, and practical play dispels such notions fairly quickly.
I've only ever seen the 3e D&D generation espouse the idea that book fluff > your fluff, or that it is required for the fluff to make every selection "unique and special" so you can feel good just for picking your class.
Try applying what you said to any game without rigid classes, and you see how silly it actually is, where it's on the player to craft a unique character that can contribute to the game.

In my games, at least, death by pyre (In an official capacity, anyway) is reserved for rogue witches and really spectacular cases of heresy and/or treason. Anyone who manages to get that sentence and loses a character into it is to be rewarded with light applause and the have dice thrown at them.

Is the highest a skill gained through regiment and specialty +10 or can it go higher?

>No, because the writing is superseding the crunch in your mind.
It isn't and neither is the opposite, how I suspect your case may be.
>I've only ever seen the 3e D&D generation espouse the idea that book fluff > your fluff, or that it is required for the fluff to make every selection "unique and special" so you can feel good just for picking your class.
And haven't I told you that this is not what I'm thinking either?
>No one who PLAYS the game can say that, if only because cursory knowledge of the setting tells you there is a difference between the 3 motes that make up a character, and practical play dispels such notions fairly quickly.
I play the game, and I have more than a cursory knwoledge of the setting, so you miss here too.

I'll spell it out again, because I have already told this in an earlier post - my problem is not with the crunch or how the fluff and writing relates to it, but with a fluff and writing on it's own. The only thing I can be accosted of is not wording my thoughts more clearly, but that particular piece I have already clarified.

Are you actually trying to talk to me, or are you just venting/posting things you wanted to say for a while without even checking if they relate to what I say?

I'm sorry if I bother, but are there any plans for future releases or updates of your homebrew content?

>Askellon is a corpse on life support
Much like the Emperor and the Imperium in general.

Heretics pls go and stay go.

>the Universal Guardsman Relief Fund
>charitable

I don't think so.
youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk

You can recognize the genestaler cults because you don't require a trained adept equipped with a couple complutation servitors and a few years of free time to go through the application forms.

Yes, I have a number of things to update in The Fringe is Yours. Here is my plan for the future based on what people have told me or pointed out.

-Add Graviton Wave to Thanatar Calix Grav Ram.
-Replace Energy damage to Impact damage for all Grav weapons
-Abeyant Nerf - UNMODIFIED Toughness
-Styrix description clarification (Carronade to Chieorovile)
-Bio-Corrosive Round Update (Add Corrosive), add to Vorax options.
-Warp Spider Warp Jump Pack clarification
-Add Vultarax Stratos-Automata when it comes out
-Add Phosphex Web Projector (Ship Component)
-Add Kinetic Lance (Ship Component)
-Fix Rotor Cannon in Armaments. Fixed in Battle Automata section already.
-Volkite Grand Bombard nerf - -1 strength
-Add the Barracuda AX-5-2

As for my other stuff, I'm still working on the third book, which will more or less be a Deathwatch book for playing in the Great Crusade. My notes for that are floating around in the Republican Commando Collected Visions, but I should probably post the notes by themselves so peeps can have a look.

I'll probably make more progress on it after Republican Commando, and before I run Solaris Binary Soul.

no u fgt

>He gets the application forms right away
Ha! Luxury! We have to start with the Request To Release Information On A Serving/Served Guardsman #454136 Form Request Form Request Form, the Medical Information On Serving/Served Guardsman #454163 Form Request Form, the Request for Guardsman Charitable Aid Form #544631 Form Request Form, a Guardsman Psychological/Orthodoxy test #645431 Form Request Form, the signature of our commanding officer in triplicate, and then the actual forms themselves, then the Charitable Application Form Request Form, a three month wait while all previous paperwork gets lost in the Warp, another six months waiting period for re-request of form request forms, two months processing delay, *then* we can apply for charitable aid. Oh wait, Little Sick Timmy died of Broxian Ultracancer and the tumor ripped its way out of his corpse and killed Sarge. Oh well.

Metric is the official measurement of the Imperium.

>Ultracancer
I wish I was worthy enough to be blessed by a tumorous growth named after the Emperor's greatests.
My cancer weeps every night (I think? It does looks like pus sometimes), aware that it can never be an Ultramarine.

>You have pics like that for the rest of the guard?
yes, i do

Just what the hell do you give a super heavy armor regiment with the 30 kit points you get?

A best-craftsmanship teapot, a silver spoon, and six tea bags. Per character.

Is there anywhere on a baneblade to mount a vehicle-class power field force field?

Probably? Ask your GM, m8

Well, technically I am. I was wondering where the fuck this 500kg field generator could fit.

Probably somewhere next to engine.

IIRC it can be fit on smaller vehicles, it surely would fit on teh baneblade.

The baneblade is the size of a fucking house, exact placement doesn't really matter.

Have you seen the space available inside that thing? You probably just have to remplace one of the three shrines or remove a couple skulls.

Please post them, user, you're my only hope.

Fun fact: Most british vehicles have electric keetles for preparing tea.
Fun fact: No french vehicle has a coffee machine. They just put the pot on the badly insulated engine.
You can make good coffee with an AML, though.

>Replace a shrine
Well, the regiment is from a shrine world, though it does also have the reliquary doctrine.

Great. Now I want to play a british upper class superheavy regiment... and I'm the only one in my group who even wants to play OW...

You're lucky to have a group, I just make regiments.

want something in special? i have IG, CSM, SM(ultramarines only, for now, i'm painting the imperial fists), Demons, Eldars, Edgy Eldar, GK, Necrons, Orks, Sisters, Tau and Tyranids
also how big should a square grid on d&d scale?

Here's a cool weapon to throw at your players to add a bit of spice to the standard autogun. I was bored and decided to roll up a weapon with the Only War pattern creator in Hammer of the Emperor.

Choo-Zhau Pattern Assault Autogun
Basic, 75m, S/2/10, 1d10+4 I, Pen 0, Clip 20, Reload Half, Unreliable, 3kg, Average

Lightweight Material: Reduces the penalty for firing it one-handed to –10.
Rapid Clip Ejection: Reduce the Reload of the weapon by one Full Action (to a minimum of one Half Action).
Erratic: This weapon gains the Unreliable Quality.
Delicate: Whenever this weapon Jams, roll 1d10. On a result of 1, the weapon’s internal mechanisms seize up or snap, and it must be repaired with a Hard (–20) Tech-Use Test that requires at least several minutes before it can be fired again.

The Choo-Khatt-Pattern Assault Autogun was developed by the Brice Union Committe for Small Arms Deployment as a stopgap solution for arming assault troops during the years-long stalemate of the Verdant Line offensive on Brice/Auhussia*. As the supply of lasweapons quickly dwindled due to combat losses the Brice union had to resort to easy-to-produce ballistic weaponry, and after several round of discussion and debate the agreed-upon pattern was named after both the chairman of the B.U.C.S.A.D, Aldric Choo, and the Adeptus Mechanicus Enginseer Prime of the Brice faction, Enginseer Prime Sigma-5 Zhau.

[Continued in next post]

The weapon has several major design flaws, several of which are so bad that in the hands of a untrained soldier, the weapon has a effective lifespan counted in hours before most, if not all, moving parts needs immediate replacement. It does have some areas where it shines though. It's light weight, overpowered cartridge and quick magazine release makes it a formidable short to medium range solid projectile weapon for use in close quarters in the hands of a well-trained and disciplined soldier.

*The Brice/Auhussia conflict began with a administratum schism on official planetary name when the planet was officially declared colonized. Two high ranking administratum officials, Lexicator-Prefect William Brice and Lexicator-Prefect Johann Auhussia, demanded to have the planet named after themselves, citing previous promises and deeds. No middle ground or compromise was deemed acceptable and the situations quickly spiraled into all-out war as different branches of the governing body supported one side or the other. The conflict has, at the point of scribing this document, still not ended and has become a source of hardened fighters fit to bolster the ranks of any Imperial Guard regiment. For more information on the subject, see Dataslate 19141918WWI “General Panic and Major Shellshock - a breakdown of the Brice/Auhussia debacle “ by C.Hurchill & H.Itler.

Where are the 40k maps for roll20? I need some space hulk tiles or anything from the other games.

Prove me wrong, user.

Sure thing.

Your problem is that you miss the point so much that you might as well be shooting in the opposite direction.
Space Marines and SoBs are the strongest (SoBs, strongest. Hah! When was the last time you heard of them winning something?) not because they don't have sex, but because they train like crazy and get best equipment and in case of SMs, get kickass modifications. Space Wolves get laid, as far as I have heard Sororitas don't exactly have celibatus (depends on the order, to be specific). And if virinity gave power here, the strongest would be techpriests and administratum clerks.

The fact that you forgot such basic facts hint that you are completely absorbed in your own issues to the point that you don't see anything else.

Should I use a false hydra for my next dark heresy session? How would I go about stating it?

Hey all, running a rogue trader soon. I was doing a bit of brainstorming, and though of something for the BBEG: Would an enemy rogue trader party that hates the party's guts work out fine? I was thinking something like a party of:

-The Rogue Trader: This is the dude in charge, and he is full of himself. To the point of killing subordinates for mis-spelling or trying to shorten his massive name.

-The bodyguard: A masterwork cyber enhanced bodyguard with an affinity for swords. Think: A total fucking weaboo cyberninja cameo

-The brains: A pirate as fuck seneschal who is a swashbuckling motherfucker, always carrying bathtub ale even though they can afford more.

That would be amazing, but don't. If you stat it, it implies it can be confronted in a way that negates the horror.

If you want to take a look at some of the stuff I made for the Great Crusade stuff, take a look through

mediafire.com/download/9gu6411up62pc64/Deathwatch_Great_Crusade_Testing_Ground.rar

It contains the excel document with weapons, gear, vehicles, new assets, dreadnoughts, that sort of thing, as well as separated PDFs for Legion Breachers, Legion Seekers, (Partial) Legion Centurions/Consuls, and Legion Destroyers. Legion Recon guys aren't done, and I already know the Destroyer is ass and needs a rework. Hell, most of it is being messed with as time goes on, as my players point shit out and I fix things.

False hydra? Whazzat?

What is your favorite weapon modification/upgrade and why?

Thanks user. Personally I use 1cm squares for one regular human.

if you tell me what u want i can upload the entire army somewhere

I'd particularly interested in guard, sisters, edgy eldars and tau.
But I'd be happy enought with the guard in a first time.

You made those yourself?

You make nice fluff.

Wouldn't the "Corrupted pattern" fit better with the Chauchat? 30.06 version being the RL Ares excalibur and all that.

So...

My ork Kommando of a year just got hit by concentrated tzeentchian warp energy and mutated

He's a 9 feet tall Nobmmando and what do I roll? Fucking wings.

Basically, fuck yeah. Now that I have tzeentches blessing I have something from each chaos God. Daemon axe of khorne, daemon sword of slaanesh, armour of nurgles wyrm, and now orky fungal wings from tzeentch.

Who does an ork get when he wins chaos undivided?

> 30.06 version being the RL Ares excalibur and all that.
The only 30-06 versions of the chauchat were the horrible fucked-up retooled ones that were sent to US troops as training versions. The original version chambered the french 8mm lebel

youtube.com/watch?v=bCwP3Dm52Ls

My point exactly. In Shadowrun the Ares Excalibur is a gun made to shoot special ammo that has been rechambered in a standard caliber to be mass-produced. It's an utter disaster, and it jams constantly (in the best of cases).

Scorn form the rest of the boyz?
That aside, I doubt the Chaos gods are specist.

Oh I didn't know that. I guess you could replace Erratic with Corrupted Pattern to represent a retooled 30-06 version

Hey all,

I've made a Dark Heresy 2nd Edition Character creation tool.

dropbox.com/s/ps0463fil43wsvz/PrismaticFire DH 2e Character Creator v0.9.9.2.xlsm?dl=0

Can this be added to the mega. It's early days, but it's got auto-calculation of xp costs for skills, attributes and tier 1 talents.

Thank you to the 40k Roleplay armoury - I've taken all of the DH2 items out and included them in this.

No Enemy Within, Without or Beyond talents/traits etc. yet, but there are Enemy Within Items and weapons.

This sheet has a place to record your die rolls, but you'll have to roll die manually and record your items, aptitudes, skills, etc. on an actual character sheet or elsewhere.

It does have all of the sourebooks backgrounds, homeworlds and roles though.

I've noticed that bipods/tripods are available for basic weapons, but provide no mechanical advantage at all.
Since bipods are mainly found on sniper rifles and lmgs, what do you think of the following:
>Bracing reduces the penalty for firing a basic weapon at extreme range by 10 (for a result of -20)
>Bracing also reduces the penalty for using suppressive fire by 10 (for a result of -10)

Or if we want something a bit more effective:
>Bracing reduces the penalty for firing a basic weapon at long and extreme ranges by 10 (for a result of +0 and -20, respectively)
>Bracing also reduces the penalty for using suppressive fire or full auto burst by 10 (for a result of +0 and -10 respectively).

Yay or nay?

Looks great, I'll download it when I'm home.

Very nice!
Could you please upload PERSONAL.XLSB as well, as there are some macros missing?
Or just include the macros in the excel file?
Or just post them here and I'll paste them in.

Yeah I screwed up the Home World assignment macros, all the others should be fine and in the excel file itself.

Here's an updated one with the homworld macro fixed: dropbox.com/s/89d9cfifidhd04q/PrismaticFire DH 2e Character Creator v0.9.9.3.xlsm?dl=0

Who are those on the right?
I don't recall ever reading about something like an SoB detachment for Emp's bodyguards.

Sisters of Silence as I recall?

Cool, thanks.

Just tape the holy bits to the shield generator. Think of it as a Baneblade-sized rosarius.

Well, yes, that is the idea.

Characteristic Modifiers: +3 Fellowship, +9 Willpower, -3 Weapon Skill
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed) +20(?), Linguistics (Low Gothic), Operate (Surface)
Starting Talents: Hatred (Heretics) OR Hatred (Mutants) OR Hatred (Psykers), Technical Knock, Unshakeable Faith

Standard Kit: 1 laspistol +2 charge packs (Main Weapon), 1 flak vest, 1 knife, 2 weeks rations, 1 anointed maintenance toolkit, 1 reliquary, 1 best-quality power field (Vehicle), 1 Baneblade per squad

Fluency (High Gothic)
Virtuous Ignorance
Armor of Faith
Honor Bound
Normal Wounds

Shrine, Supine, Super Heavy Armor, Defenders of the Faith, Reliquary, Honor Bound

Slight weirdness with the rules, technically every member of the regiment has a best-quality power field meant for vehicles/emplacements.

Hey Veeky Forums,

Just need the answer to a quick lore question for my Black Crusade game. What would be the typical composition of an Imperial Navy battlegroup charged with patrolling the outermost systems of a Sector on the edge of Imperial space?

I'm thinking 1 Cruiser, 1 Light Cruiser, 2 frigates, 2 destroyers, with a Commodore in overall command. Does that seem about right?

Do any of you know where I could get pdfs of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3e and 2e)? Is this the right thread to ask, or should I go to wfb general?

You'll have a higher chance of success with the other thread.

>technically every member of the regiment has a best-quality power field meant for vehicles/emplacements
For extra grimderp, make it actually so due to some clerical error.

That depends on the sector. I suppose a group in the Segmentum Pacificus that has only to destroy the occasional smuggler trying to reach the Halo stars would be very different from one patrolling a sector where tyranids and chaos marines regularly visit.
IIRC, some patrol fleets are composed only of one cruiser/light cruiser and a pair of escorts.

Also, it depends on how you want to use it. Single encounter, recurring enemy, nemesis,...

Yours looks good, but I dunno if a patrol fleet would really use destroyers. Frigates are more suited for those kind of duties, and you're gonna call the two cruisers if some big fish appreas anyways.

Really, it depends on the execution. Nothing awful on the concepts for now. Nothing outstanding either, but those a one line descriptions.

Beware with rivals, my group tends to kill opponents if given the chance, because they know that not doing so is just asking for them to level up before the next encounter. And if not given the chance they might be frustrated unless you've planed your escape routes very carefully.
If you use rivals in anything else than combat encounters, you risk getting them killed by the players.
If you use them only in combat, you got more control but it prevents much character devellopment.

Making them able to occasionally work towards a common goal may help.

On the other hand, your players may be different.

Oh, I planned for them to work towards common goals if shit goes down, such as an Ork WAAAAGH starting up, they'll suck it up and help the party, kinda like Desperate Allies.

Sounds good.

Everything that you have preferably, where did you get them from / could you get us a Mega or mediafire link?

Thank you for your time glorious user of the Token

Meh, they fall into line once you start krumping.

In your opinion, what is the most undervalued skill of the second wave of the line?