Prehistoric Fantasy, pt. 2

Continuation of a thread from a few days prior, which had some awesome writefagging based on two pretty cool concepts:

1) Since dinosaurs are supposed to be part of most tabletop worlds like D&D, why aren't there more weird mutated creatures in the same vein as blink dogs, displacer beasts, and owlbears?
and 2) What would 'prehistoric' equivalents to typical tabletop monsters be like?

Previous thread:
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47931657

Pic related: it's a unique mutant T-rex from Eberron that fits with point A. Another good example from the same setting is the horrid Tyrannosaurus.

Bump

Pic not unique but awesome nonetheless.

- Phase Raptors
- Ankylosaurus with a Chromatic Orb tail
- Dracodous
- Triceratops with a burrow speed
- Fire breathing dilo

>Dracodocus
Ooh, what would that be like?

>Burrowing Triceratops
This could definitely be worked with; maybe it could be combined with the tentatops from the previous thread.

>Fire breathing dilo
What if it breathed napalm instead of the blinding spit we see in Jurassic Park?

>Chromatic Orb
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is that and what does it do?

>Phase raptors
Jesuschristhowhorrifying.jpg

Orcoids

Someone already suggested that in the previous thread.

> Dracolich Diplodocus. Just a gargantuan undead creature.

> Didn't read the other thread desu

> Napalm or acid would be cool!

> Just a spell that deals different kinds of damage. e.g. Fire damage, cold, acid etc.

> I know right, I shuddered thinking about them.

>blink tyrannosaurus
Nope.

A zombie sauropod would be friggin' awesome. Maybe it could have a swarm of tiny undead hidden within its guts, just waiting to spring out when their vehicle bites the dust again.

Also, tentatops are pretty easy to imagine: take a Triceratops, color it greyish-white, remove the eyes, shrink the frill a bit, and replace the horns with long, flexible, rubbery tentacles each tipped with a horn.

Ooh, the elemental aspect gives me ideas.
Cold damage ones would have a thick coat of ice on top of their armor for even more protection, fire ones would have a jagged obsidian tail club and armor that cuts flesh as much as it crushes bone, an acid one would be a near-skeletal horror with hundreds of roughly-hewn holes all across its armor that constantly weep acid.

Admit it; if you were a DM, you'd totally do that just to see the looks on your players' faces.

I just realized something.
T-rex and its kind were pretty specialized animals, especially with their powerful jaws. But what if you amped up that specialization in a magic-filled world? After all, there's plenty of armored prey in fantasy. But fuck feeding on something like a bulette or any of that pussy shit; I've got something much more awesome in mind.
That's right, bitches; I'm talking a T-rex that eats
mother
fucking
dragons.
Think about it; tyrannosaurs could actually go quite fast for short periods of time, so I could see one giving chase after a low-flying dragon or ambushing a grounded one. Their bone-crushing jaws would make short work of a dragon's thick scales, and there's no shortage of crazy wizards who would want to make something like this to kill dragons.
I imagine that there would be a lot of different types of these things as well: one for each color dragon. Red-eaters would live in volcanic regions and be immune to fire, bronze-hunters would be ocean-going and immune to sleep effects and electricity, etc.

What would wizards do with dinosaurs? The answer is simple: crossbreed them with other animals to make fucking horror stories.

>Triceratortoise
>Tyrannosharktopus
>Spinoscorpion
>Tribearatops
>Owlrex
>Brontobull
>Hippoceratops
>Cassowarraptor

My Halfling Bard in 5 is using an Awakened Anklyosaurus as a mount thats the closest I've gotten

>Another good example from the same setting is the horrid Tyrannosaurus.
But 'horrid' is just a template (for dire animals no less, so dinosaurs shouldn't be able to get it). There are hundreds of templates that can be applied to dinosaurs to make fantasy dinosaurs within the existing setting/rules/creatures.

Look, I needed another example, and that was the first one to come to mind, OK?

When I GM I GM GURPS so I'd just stat a regular tyrannosaurus and it would kill them.

A large saltwater crocodile can wipe a low power party.

Things we need more of:

-Dinosaur player races
-Therapsid player race(s?)
-Pterosaur player race
-Naughty cephalopods that left the planet before dinosaurs came into existence and have returned
-Dinosaurs mining the ring of asteroids surrounding the planet (yes I just partly ripped off E.V.O. The Search for Eden)
-Tyrannosaurs with breath weapons
-Velociraptor playing a diddley bow
-zombie diplodocus carrying a dinomancer's home on its back

I now want to play a druid who's a jungle girl wearing a fur bikini and going on adventures involving freak dinosaurs and wild tribes on a lost island.

>1) Since dinosaurs are supposed to be part of most tabletop worlds like D&D, why aren't there more weird mutated creatures in the same vein as blink dogs, displacer beasts, and owlbears?
So in other words, Monster Hunter?

Why must everyone continue to make an alpha predator a joke?
Dilophosaurus was not some ambusher. There was no poison. It was the largest predator of its time period and just straight-out killed things.

And these dinosaurs would have an insane sense of smell to boot. So the Tyrannosaur could just follow a dragon until it either lands or becomes too exhausted to fly. Even if the dragon flies out of the dinosaur's range, it would just follow the scent trail left behind by the flapping, terrified dragon.

T.rex was specifically designed to kill armored prey it's size or larger, and it had the musculature to overpower almost anything in it's environment. (Seriously it's fucking JACKED.) In a pure melee fight, a T.rex would fuck up a similarly dragon, especially if it had hollow bones.

We also know they almost body slammed their prey at times and essentially wrestled with them. And yes, they did break their ribs while doing this. Constantly. They were tough fuckers. Two specimens we have also indicated one had the back of its braincase ripped off, and bone growth indicates it lived several years after the incident, while the other had 2/3rds of its tail ripped off.

What I'm hearing is dire dinosauruses, then. Dire raptors good times!

When you make the setting, my character's right here