/osrg/ OSR General - What's That Sound Edition?

>Trove -- mega.nz/#F!3FcAQaTZ!BkCA0bzsQGmA2GNRUZlxzg!jJtCmTLA
>Useful Shit -- pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC

Last Thread
Has it been a week since the last thread? Am I blind?

Have you or your players ever really got scared of something in your games?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/itmejp/comments/2idf33/west_marches_resources/
docdroid.net/kHgwIZv/rotdp.pdf.html
welshpiper.com/hex-templates/
welshpiper.com/hex-based-campaign-design-part-1/
dropfile.to/KLKoXZv
dropfile.to/4p5Fg71
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Real life scared? I don't think so. Our characters have shat their pants a few times.

OSR guys, what modern non-OSR game would you say gets closest to how you feel playing OSR? That might be a dumb question.

People might hate me for saying this but Dungeon World.

Been planning a hexcrawl that can be used across multiple systems. Idea is that it is a full blown post-spell-apocalypse and only the four main races (or 4 human tribes if system does not use demihumans) have only just began to rebuild: Dwarves in their mountain fasts and have sheltered the last age decently; Halflings, former slaves and now freedmen, taking to swath of land and eager to make it their own; Elves having withdrawn almost entirely to an island off the coast, few interested in the wider world; and Humans, fecund and eager to grow and defend their new kingdom in the south.

Idea is that the first few levels involve going through the human kingdom as errand boys for the local lord. Eventually they need to strike out to retrieve things, push back monsters, eventually explore and learn why the spell-apocalypse occurred, establish treaties, establish domains, and take on might foes aplenty.

Anyway, I have the map here but no write up (all on paper, not on the computer yet) but if you all want to steal it and use it, go ahead.

>Halflings, former slaves
What would halfling saves be beneficial for? Or were they just the easiest race to enslave? And was the pre-civilization one of the four or a lost race? Sounds like it might be cool.

DnD 5e. Except for the character creation.

>Or were they just the easiest race to enslave?
This. the Human Empire, which held the vast majority of the land held them as slaves since they were easily physically dominated. They made good farm and house slaves for the most part. Elves were aloof but had a minor kingdom and interacted with humans at arm's length. Dwarves got on decently with the former human empire, but didn't like their more cruel tendencies (enslavement for one thing). In the years since the collapse, most of humanity huddled in small towns and villages in the south (with some in the north as well, but rarer). Cruel monsters, foul beasts and unknown horrors came to control most of the former empire's lands, blighting large swaths as well.

This. Me and my group ban feats and use older modules for play. It's quite solid and enjoyable for the most part, especially since rules bloat seems to be fairly minimal right now.

Wow, that's a beautiful map. Did you generate yours and then sculpt it or did you build that from scratch?

Here's mine. 1 individual hex is 1.2 miles. What's the scale on yours?

So I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to play in a hex crawl. Any good books on how to run one well so I might have a chance of running one some day?

Really good resource: reddit.com/r/itmejp/comments/2idf33/west_marches_resources/

Would you suggest reading or listening to them play West Marshes?

If listening, know a good way to turn Youtube into audio only files?

From scratch. Started with the coast, then I did the mountains. Everything else just kind flowed from there naturally.

So, I'm a graphical design student, and I'm an OSR player too. This semester our final assignment will be designing an entire book from scratch. The content can be anything we want, we can copy from existing texts or just make up our own, the assignment is about editorial design, the writing doesn't matter.

I choose to make an OSR-inspired player's handbook, using modern design philosophies with retro aesthetics, kinda like most OSR books already do, like LOTFP and ACKS.

I was wondering if anyone here who already had a finished ruleset, or at least with enough content to fill a book, wanted to partner up and let me use the rules to make you a neat little book. I'll do it for free, since it's for an assignment, and it doesn't matter at all if the rules are good or shit or whatever, it's just filler, really.

If anyone's interested I'll give you my Skype and will explain thing more clearly.

docdroid.net/kHgwIZv/rotdp.pdf.html

looking for advice or input on my post-apocalyptic LotFP reskin/homebrew/whatever.

it essentially takes parts from LotFP, S&W and Mutant Future.

You might learn a little from watching them. There's also a video of him preparing the next adventure.

Google YouTube to MP3.

I'd just read the stuff, personally.

That sounds awesome, but I'm sadly far away from having a complete rule-set.

is there a PDF or even a scan of Slügs?

Nah, I'm an old grognard who's in agreement with that. And if some dudes on the internet don't like what you and I like, who cares?.

I want to add simple cantrips to LotFP or B/X.

If I added the BtW cantrips to the game, and allowed MUs to use only the INT check ones, and Clerics to only use the WIS check ones, would that be good?

Oh, and derp, I forgot my hex size. It's 6 mile hexes. That makes this 60x60 map about 129600 square miles, or somewhat larger than the state of New Mexico.

I'm not seeing an issue with it.

Ah, that's what I was thinking. The large hexes in my map represent 6 miles as well. In total it's about 900 square miles. I was going to make a region map after I finished populating this one.

Interesting! I was just looking over the map stuff on hexographer and trying to figure out how to do those large overlay hexes. Do you use hexographer or something else?

See, you OSR fags are all the same. I bet you can't even defend why you don't use feats.

> inb4 "because I feel like it"

Not a reason, faggot. Every action has more reason to it. If you say "because I feel like it" that has a reason behind it as well. And that reason is, you can't let go of the past. You literally strawman 4e as your defense for insistently playing these old-ass games, when far better ones have been created.

Let me list just a few, so you can catch a glimpse of the fucking UNIVERSE you people are missing by burying your heads in your asses:

> Dread
> Apocalypse World
> Dungeon World
> Mouse Guard
> Eclipse Phase
> Delta Green
> GURPS
> Call of Cthulu
> Numenera
> Star Wars Edge of the Empire

All of these are FANTASTIC games that you will never get anywhere close to because you are too busy fellating a game style that betrayed you 16 years ago. Time to move on, boys.

youtube-mp3.org

Works well, but only for up to 20 minutes. Past that.... keepvid? Snipmp3? Dunno, do what the other user said and google it.

I play those games, too. But I enjoy OSR systems the most. Simple, quick and by far they reward creativity more than any system I've ever used.

Also cause I feel like it.

>Dread

Full fucking retard, no one cares about jenga simulation.

>x World

Narrativism isn't for everyone.

>Mouse Guard

Anthropomorphic animals aren't for everyone.

>Delta Green, GURPS

May be okay

>EP

Hyper political sci fi isn't everyone's cup of tea.

>Call of Cthulhu

Too silly and randumb for my tastes. "You see a weird thing! unlike Professor Armitage, you go KWAZY!"

>Numenera

Like most Monte Cook stuff it doesn't look very promising.

I personally like feats in 5e (although the feat-human makes me cringe due to how overpowered it is).

The way your feelings are so badly hurt seems to cloud your judgment, though.

>Narrativism isn't for everyone.

Yes it is. That is EXACTLY what you are doing when you are playing an RPG. Dungeon World just takes away all that other crap that you don't need, and focuses on facilitating the story (which is the important part)

I know this is b8 but;

People can like more than one thing. You should know that.

> That is EXACTLY what you are doing when you are playing an RPG.

99% of the time, I'm roleplaying, and I don't need to concern myself with sheer pretentiousness like meta mechanics and "the story."

Likewise, as a DM, whether or not you intend to tell a story, one will be told nonetheless. Its like magic; storylines arise on their own and are generally just as good whether or not they emerge on their own.

I would even daresay that emergent storylines are superior to intentional ones.

Roleplaying >>>>>>>>>> storytelling.

Some people like challenge and don't care that much about story. This is why John Wick freaks out about why the Tomb of Horrors is the worst module of all time. It isn't, it's very challenging with very little story, and some people love it for what it is.

Inb4 "but that's not real roleplaying"

>This is why John Wick freaks out about why the Tomb of Horrors is the worst module of all time.
Wick does Tomb of Horrors shit even if he doesn't want to accept it. One kills you with a dungeon trap you didn't notice, the other does it with slow-acting poison you took from a Scorpion courtier without noticing.

Here's the Black Hack for you broke assholes that don't have $2.

I personally think Tomb of Horrors is only "bad" due to poor communication between DM and players, like a lot of players expect the DM to WANT them to engage the dungeon, and not to aggressively bypass it to the best of their abilities.

Once you understand that, it becomes much easier. There isn't even much in the way of enemies that can "come and get you."

Character Sheet

Sample Character Sheet

>Inb4 "but that's not real roleplaying"

Just because you inb4 it, doesn't mean it's not true.

it is true. You are not really roleplaying when you play Tomb of Horrors. You are playing a board game. Deal with it.

I'm curious on your stance with LotFP adventures.

>if you're roleplaying in a scenario that hurts my feelings, its not REAL roleplaying

Alternatives to Vancian spell casting in OSR, please. Or rather something without spell slots.

Either something printed or something you've seen/made yourself, please.

This guy has hexographer templates: welshpiper.com/hex-templates/

I'd also recommend his guides: welshpiper.com/hex-based-campaign-design-part-1/

lol, what if I'm playing an osr monster that uses PBTA 2d6 partial successes, Beyond The Wall/apocalypse world playbooks, Further Afield and The Quiet Year for campaign building, Scarlet Heroes to save time on mobs/3 players, and modified Numenera cyphers as magic items?

Also, a bunch of the shit you listed has nothing to do with narrative, nore are they fantastic games. GURPS, Eclipse Phase and Numenera in particular have shit clunky mechanics. CoC is terribly put together to actually convey lovecraftian themes. Dungeon World has some okay shit, but does some bad design with HP, bonds, move design, etc.

You that retard that's been pretending to be a DW shill lately?

I really like the spell points variant in 3.5's Unearthed Arcana. More flexibility, but first 1/3rd of your daily spell points can be spent normally, second 1/3rd fatigues you, last 1/3rd exhausts you.

Takes 1 hour of rest to remove exhaustion, or another hour (two total in any case) to remove fatigue. Getting the last third of your spell points back requires an additional 6 hours (or 8 total in any case).

Anything that causes fatigue or exhaustion likewise reduces your spell points. I like this in conjunction with Vitality & Wound Points, because then simply one wound point of damage cuts a mage's spell points in half.

I dunno if it really qualifies as OSR, but Shadow of the Demon Lord has a system I find kind of neat; instead of having to prepare spells, you have a number of castings per spell per day based on the spells level and your Power(a characteristic that could easily be swapped for Int/Wis in an OSR game, since it's mostly just a measure of how powerful the given character's magic is).

To quote the book:
>if you have Power 2 and know two rank 0 spells, one rank 1 spell, and one rank 2 spell, you have three castings of each rank 0 spell, two castings of the rank 1 spell, and one casting of the rank 2 spell.

The Class Hack (unofficial)

The Class Hack 2 (unofficial)

The Race Hack (unofficial)

>You that retard that's been pretending to be a DW shill lately?

Yep, that's virt. He's been doing that shit today, along with posting his usual stupid opinions:

Apocalypse World and great Story Games in general have a very specific structure and procedures of play.

By-the-Book B/X, OD&D and anything before AD&D have a very specific structure and procedures of play.

It doesn't feel the same, but they're games that really know what they're about.

Take a look at DCC spellcasting system.

What are rules from other (modern) systems you've ripped and put into your games? Not just players facing systems, I'm also curious as a GM.

>can't defend why you don't use feats

Hmm, well, I'm not that user, and I'm not even sure I would use the feat variant from 5e if I were running, but...

... Feats, at least pre-5e, were a mess. Feat chains in particular, where you had to pay "taxes" to get feats that were worth using was terrible design.

On top of that, feats in general are a way of cordoning off a part of the rules and saying "you cannot do this" or "you can try it, but you'll suck at it." Neither of which I find appealing in my own games.

>far better ones have been created

I'd say that's a matter of taste, user. I think you just don't like having to rely solely on imagination and player agency, and would rather have a mechanical aspect to fall back on during play so that you can directly control what's going on. And more power to you. I don't need bennies, or action points, or any other meta-currencies to have a good time.

>x World

Not for me. As I said, I'd prefer relying solely on player agency to tell the story.

>Mouse Guard

I'm not really a Redwall fan, but I might give it a try one of these days. One of my players wants to run it, and when he does, I'll make a character.

>Eclipse Phase

I could play a lot of other scifi games user. What makes this one more interesting than the next one?

>Delta Green, Call of Cthulhu

CoC? The "you go mad if you see Mythos creatures: the meme" game? Where it fundamentally misunderstands the source material and codifies it into game mechanics? Nah. No thanks.

>Numenera

Monte Cook isn't worth my time.

>Anything Star Wars

How this franchise still appeals to grown ass adults, I'll never know. And yeah, you can houserule it to not be Star Wars, but if that's the case, why not play a different scifi game altogether?

I'm not sure why you're so insistent that us OSR guys should stop supporting what we like, and should stop playing what we like. It's like telling someone they should play Skyrim because Morrowind is shit.

This is actually really awesome. Thanks!

But all those games are shit user

If you want to teach OSRfags a lesson, you should try posting something better, instead of schlock

Why are you feeding the troll? Stop feeding the troll.

I tried using the DCC spellcasting system for one of my characters in a BFRPG campaign. The spellcaster had a +6 to all her spell rolls but consistently failed them because most spells fail on a 11-12 or less. She was useless. I've decided I'm just going to use the DCC spell manifestation table and leave everything else alone. Magic Missile should be an automatic hit.

Reposting my magic user concept.

Each magic user unlocks point in mystery 'schools' or magical 'paths' as they level, starting with 1 at level 1, and going up as they grow in power and experience.

Each dot represents a roll under roll to successful cast a spell on a target with resistance. (ie; target is an enemy, target is an object owned by someone else, spell is cast in a zone protected by a ward or superstitious folk magicks, etc.)

Also, each dot represents on 'feature' of the magic as well. So for charms, which is light utility magic, each charm point counts as having 1 extra passive charm effect on you or a location over time. Each point in transformation is how many hours per day you can transform, things of that nature.

Does this make sense?

Nah, I think that's a much fairer statement than saying that it *is* an OSR game is.

Why not lowering it to 8 or 10 for success then? Me and my friends use the DCC system when playing BFRPG, but instead of not being able to cast a spell if ypu fail a spellcheck you get -1 to the next spellcheck instead.

I'd have to double check, but Microlite 74(and presumably the 75, 78, and 81 versions as well) uses a relatively non Vancian spell casting system

anyone got a copy of Other Dust, it's not in the Trove

oh and Starvation Cheap as well

Thanks user!

>See, you OSR fags are all the same. I bet you can't even defend why you don't use feats.

ACKS has feats.

Checkmate atheist.

Starvation Cheap:
Other Dust: dropfile.to/KLKoXZv

Other Dust:
dropfile.to/4p5Fg71

Calling Troveguy to add these.

LOL, that really got me. Don't know why, but I find that funny.

>it's a Dungeon World troll

Here's your reply, please fuck off now.

I really like the ACKS implementation of feats. They're not essential, but they can add a few little extra bits and bobs to your characters to make them unique, or to excel in a particular area while not locking you into feat chain bullshit or restricting what other classes can or can't do.

Really? I'm going to have to reread it then, I completely missed those.

>3-foot tall midgets
>good for farm labor

Stop.

>GURPS
>shit clunky mechanics

Only someone literally retarded would find 3d6 roll under (for pretty much everything) and 3d6 roll over (for attacks and reactions) to clunky.

What? They are based on hobbits more than anything and hobbits were some really, really good farmers.

-foot tall midgets
>>good for farm labor
Hm? What's the problem here? They are weaker, but they also eat less food. And a lot depends on specifics.

I really like this. I wish it didn't use spell slots but hacking in some MP system should be easy. I'm definitely buying this soon to support Black.

Animator, Knight, and Psionicist are neat.
Thaumaturgist/Occultist is literally unfinished, are you fucking serious? Racial classes are uninspired garbage.
Not even worth a pirate.

>Cavalier gets refered to as "Paladin" in his text

JUST

This one is actually decent and has some nice options. I'll buy this one too.

Hobbits couldn't do plantation-style labor.

>Only someone literally retarded would find 3d6 roll under (for pretty much everything) and 3d6 roll over (for attacks and reactions) to clunky.

Don't be deliberately obtuse. He clearly wasn't talking about the core resolution mechanic.
You could just as truthfully say Pathfinder isn't clunky because it's all just d20 rolls for stuff.

what if it was a crop that grew really low to the ground? Like clover.

>Northern red haired littlepeople enslaving the hobbits to farm their luck.

>Hobbits couldn't do plantation-style labor
Who said it'd be plantation work? Smaller farms are what dominate the landscape.

> Hobbits couldn't do plantation-style labor.
Uh. What?

Spell it out for me. I'm being very confused here.

Troveguy should add Shinobi and Samurai. Ruins and Ronin is meh but this one is cool.

The Companion, with the skill system, races, honor system and the yakuza class.

And the character sheet with skills.

thanks

agreed, that and how FantasyCraft does them are the two best ways to implement Feats in a D&D style system

FantasyCraft is like the one d20 system I actually think is good.

Like, I enjoy a lot of d20 systems, but they're mostly pretty shit, from a game design standpoint, but FantasyCraft is actually a really neatly designed system.

Which OSR systems have magic that isn't all that vancian? I checked out Dungeon Crawl Classics and now I'm looking for more.

The Back Hack, posted in this thread earlier, has a neat little magic system.

Basically you have leveled spell slots, and each time you cast a spell, you roll against your INT. If you pass, nothing happens, if you fail, you lose a spell slot of that level.

So basically you can keep casting as long as you still have spell slots.

What do you guys use to manage campaign notes? I started with a one-shot of Death Frost Doom, but my group got split and now I have enough material to plan a campaign around. Are notebooks still the best (I have a hardon for analog) or is there a computer-based solution that beats it? I wasn't a huge fan of Evernote, I liked Obsidian Portal, if you want to give a recommendation, but really I just want to know what you grognards use.

Why does LotFPs magic section not mention anything about Blesses' other uses aside from a temporary boost?

I'm looking at the book right now, and I'm kind of surprised I missed it before. I suppose one could take the first sentence ("This spell bestows the favor of the Cleric's deity upon the subject") to allow it other uses.

Kindly go fuck yourself you smarmy, condescending faggot.

Microlite is a cast from HP system. Costs 1 hp + spell level x2 hp. Choose one spell per new spell level that is favoured so it costs 1 less hp to cast that particular spell.

Do note that in Microlite everyone uses 1d6 hit die so this rule would be more restricting if your system's MUs have 1d4 hit die.

Are you referring to proficiencies in ACKS? They kind of ruined the system for me although I love everything else the game does.

Feats tended to give you a new tool or ability in combat or something really unique for out of combat play, but ACKS mixes it with very mundane things like gambling, caving, and brewing. So while in other OSR systems a player could have his own backstory and the GM would consider the character's abilities appropriately the proficiencies seem to kill that so you can't just say "I'm adventuring to feed my gambling habit" and instead have to take the Gambling proficiency. Even having a backstory as simple as being a farmer seems to require you take the Labor proficiency rather than one actually useful for adventuring.

I really want to like the whole of ACKS though so please refute my points! I will also agree that I like how they remain fairly simple and don't chain go crazy with special powers which keeps it "OSR" in my eyes.

Since its often used to invite evil items and whatnot, it seems like a preeeeeeeety big thing to not mention, haha.

Uncurse, not invite

Not in LotFP, which is why it's not mentioned.

The Death Frost Doom module (arguably the most definitive LotFP adventure) certainly states otherwise.

Actually the module predates the system, it was made for OSR systems in general.

What is your favorite spells per day table? I kinda like LotFP's system because it lets First Level spells be the most common at 9 per day at level 20. What about yourself?

Someone can suggest a Elite Array to use with OSR games like Guardians, Black Hack or any other who uses 3d6 to roll Attributes?

I going to make a pbf and don't want to deal with dice rolling for now.