What's the high fantasy equivalent of A.I?

What's the high fantasy equivalent of A.I?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12936417/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Golems, homunculi and brazen heads are probably the closest equivalents.

What's a brazen head?

TITANS.

Warforged.

A Ka

Well, lets see

AI tend to be incredibly knowledgeable, almost inhuman and quite dry in their responses, yet capable of human thought and conversation, and tend to obey every single command given to them making them quite loyal. Naturally, variations exist, but this tends to be the baseline. We can consider the baseline for an AI type character to be along the lines of Robbie from I, Robot.

So what would match this in fantasy? High Intelligence but perfect loyalty that seems to have a semblance of human sapience but comes off quite dry?

I don't think there's a single thing in high-fantasy that really matches this concept. The closest thing you can argue would be a high-level familiar or summoned magical creature. Normally, the role of high-intelligence dry-delivery creature comes in the form of a magic essence, spirit, or wise old creature, but they tend to speak in riddles most of the time and seem rather unhelpful or unwilling to follow the heroes, let alone become perfectly loyal to them.

Even familiars are often portrayed as being without any knowledge and being a basic animal, or even being a wise old one inside a creature's body. But in the case of the latter, the creature is almost always sassy and speaks in riddles.

OP, I don't think there's a standard trope that matches the equivalent of an AI in any basic features of fantasy. They're either variations of the common tropes, or even outright an actual A.I. when fantasy crosses with Sci-Fi.

Sorry OP.

Mechanical head made of brass or bronze, truthfully and accurately answers any question posed to it. A lot of medieval alchemists and such were rumored to have one.

>truthfully and accurately answers any question
What knowledge did they possess?

Sardonicus, aka a Bottled Imp. From Talislanta.

All of it.

(Needless to say, in many versions of brazen head legends, demon binding is involved in their construction.)

Did they have a limit to how many questions they could answer?

Otherwise how does that work?

Homunculuses see Full Metal Alchemist for an example, but Awakened objects animals and undead are also acceptable, as are spirits, whether of nature, the dead (such as ghosts bound to certain objects) or even Genius Loci (which often act and behave not dissimilar like the more powerful type of AIs in sci-fi)

Thingamies invisible servant could also work as a simulation of wifi activated mechanisms.

Dems be robots m8, like all golems.

Some versions had limits on how often they could be asked, or that they could only answer yes/no questions. But not all of them.

Bear in mind, we're talking about late medieval/Renaissance folklore here, basically just a spin on the old notion of summoning demons to gain knowledge. (And, as mentioned, in many versions it's pretty much literally that, just with a mechanical head as the vessel for binding.) It's mostly just a legendarization of the exceptional intellect of the great minds who were said to have these automata, like Roger Bacon and Albertus Magnus. It wasn't really thought up with all the full logical implications of such a thing, and certainly not with anything along the lines of "game balance" in mind.

Warforged (at least the regular playable race, if not the more "monstrous" specimens of the category) are explicitly sapient, which isn't necessarily the case for all golems. They're more properly artificially-intelligent androids rather than "robots", strictly speaking.

>like Roger Bacon and Albertus Magnus.
Goddamn loophole-finding rules-lawyering min-maxers.

Not sure if high fantasy fitting, but probably advanced enough and/or enchanted automata and shikigami.

The Golem is pretty much the first recognisable out-of-control-robot story.
>Brilliant rabbi knows lots of arcane lore and is on good terms with god
>Figures he's awesome enough to create a being that will serve his people
>Uses astrology, numerology and thaumaturgy to animate a clay vessle shaped like a man
>At first it follows his commands
depending on the version of the legend a couple different things happen
>The Golem starts as dwarf sized thing but grows like a child into a man
>At first this seem convenient since he becomes stronger and more useful
>But he never stops growing and becomes destructively huge
OR
>The golem follows every order to the letter
>At first this seems useful because he's more reliable than a man
>But unlike a man the golem has no conscience or understanding of intent
>The golem's interpretation of it's orders become warped and destructive
OR
>The golem eventually goes the way of Frankenstein's monster
>It goes crazy and kills a bunch of people because it was never meant to live
By the end the golem is destroyed by the townsfolk, the rabbi or by an act of god.

The moral is usually
>Don't play god, be humble in your station
>Don't be lazy/impatient, hard work is more reliable than fancy tricks
>Don't build robots with magic, if you want to make life do it like everyone

The same essential story is also told in the disney musical Fantasia. Only instead of a Rabbi and a Golem, it's Wizard-Mickey and an animate-object spell.

Deep Rot
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12936417/

>Don't play god, be humble in your station
>Don't be lazy/impatient, hard work is more reliable than fancy tricks
>Don't build robots with magic, if you want to make life do it like everyone
That moral is shit and denies us cute robot/A.I waifu's.

>came here to ctrl-f this, not find it, and yell on the internet about summer

Tell me about it. Naming your character Bacon? Could you get more lolrandumb? And Magnus is obviously some 40k insert.

What you mean Magical AI?

...I don't get it. Fantasy settings tend to have them if you can create golems and such.

>That moral is shit and denies us cute robot/A.I waifu's.
Maybe.
But it would probably save our species.

What's the point of a species existing without cute robot/AI waifus?

Undead are kind of.
Then there's the 40k machine spirit which is literally AI.

Hex

Bound spirits, Djinn, careful arrangements of entirely too many skeletons

You'd prefer the story of Pygmalion in that case.

A god's altar, which the god physically(?) inhabits.
Although as it turns out, the gods are just AIs who've gotten used to worship

Spirits.

You should google those names

>What's the high fantasy equivalent of A.I?
A.I.

Not that user but
>the joke
>
>
>
>
>
>your head

I dunno, being lazy/impatient when making AI is an easy way to get the planet eaten by nanobots to make paperclips or something.

Besides, Human Daughterus > Robot Waifus

AI is perfectly safe as long as you're not black.

In the old Jewish legends, golems are often deployed as invincible robots to defend communities from anti-Semites. They're activated via sacred words inscribed on their heads or on parchments in their mouths. They require a very learned man (rabbi) to program them. They are deactivated every shabbat (Friday evening to Saturday evening), in observance of biblical commands but also because they grow stronger each day and weekly deactivations reset their power and keep them from growing too strong.

Jews tend not to believe in spirits and dualist cosmologies, so this is pretty close to an AI. (Even the word usually translated as "soul" from the Hebrew Bible actually is breath of life. Souls in Christianity are more like the concepts from Greek and Egyptian mysticism... but the ideas are so compelling that even many observant jews now believe this way.

>In the old Jewish legends, golems are often deployed as invincible robots to defend communities from anti-Semites.
Churchill was a golem. You heard it here first.

GURPS had this. It was an incredibly intricate network if interlocking contingency spells. It turned out that magical commands are Turing complete.

The AI was a magic item, but there's no reason you couldn't have used the same trick to make one from a programmed illusion or conjuration. Summoned spirits are easier so most universes never develop this.

A summoned spirit.

Intelligent, inanimate, bound by the rules you contracted it to, does what you say but not necessarily what you mean, usually has goals and volition of its own.

Narratively and mechanically, they're identical.

prophecy

In my setting, computers were actually invented as a mechanical equivalent to bound spirits and conjured servitors. Much dumber and more limited, but at least guaranteed to not deliberately and maliciously misunderstand your commands, and much safer and less demanding on the singer to bind to a task.

(They're still not entirely mechanical for reasons of cost and mechanical complexity, but they rely on far simpler and less dangerously intelligent or open-ended servitors and spellwork.)

Deep Rot.