Muh Death Korps

>muh Death Korps
>muh trench warfare
>muh heretical past
>muh gas masks
>muh devotion

Why do people love the Death Korps of Kreig when the other regiments are all forms of better and kickass?

LIKE FUCKING AMERICA THE REGIMENT

IT AINT ME

IT AINT ME

I AINT NO FORTUNE SON

So a Catachan,Storm Trooper and a Korpsman walk into a slanneshi bar...

They're very efficient for the resources used to raise them. All their shit is old and has seen more than one owner, even their fucking organs. These guys are excellent for an Imperium that barely can handle ww2 combined arms warfare.

Because stahlhelms and gas masks are cool.

The regiment itself is famous for having no personality, which I don't understand.

>These guys are excellent for an Imperium that barely can handle ww2 combined arms warfare.

The Imperial Guard's military capabilities vary wildly according to whoever wrote the anecdote.

>That bit in Dead Men Walking where it's explained that the necrons aren't trying to kill the kreigers, they're trying to destroy their meltas
>The Kreigers are making a good show of it because "The shooter usually has time to throw it clear before he's taken down."
Grim dark so grim derp that it loops back around into being cool again because gooddam son, even the fucking commissar is freaked out by how mundane the Kreig commander makes it sound.

>These guys are excellent for an Imperium that barely can handle ww2 combined arms warfare.

Decentralization is a hell of a thing, user.

Basically this

You guys ever read the novel "Death World" a squad of Catachans is tasked with taking down a warboss on some random ass death world. So before this you would think any Catachan would be prepared right? Since they all apparently grew up on the deadliest death world in the galaxy. Nope each of fucking low runs squad is taken out one by one due to the jungle tricking them. With the fucking Rookie being the only one who made it out alive with Marbo covering his ass.

Authors either make the guard grimdark/derp,shit,somewhat competent and mary sue

Kaiji?

>>muh (thing)
>why doesn't everyone have my opinion?

The guy likes to draw his females with point chins

I like to think of kriegers more as equipment instead of as people.

Born of machine (vitae wombs, combining and nurturing the gametes of those deemed breedable), Barcode at birth, measured and placed into regiments where they are all the same clothing and boot size (to make it easier supply them/ reuse). As if the mech and admin created protocols for the raising of new troopers.

Those deemed fit for service here in a cup a few times board a transport and go off to see the empire, those that fail/deed unfit for aervice are turned into servitors and added to the underground factories producing lasguns and tending the vitae wombs

I thought those that failed were used as live-fire targets for the fit.

FOR THE EMPEROR

zawa zawa

Well, I'm sure they stop needing new servitors after a while.
Maybe that's just for the excess.

They look cool and their zealous devotion to a cause greater than themselves can be appealing.

They can also do more than trench warfare, it just happens to be what they're good at or most often assigned to.

I don't think it's not having a personality so much as being very committed to their duty. Actually can't remember if any book has tried to portray them outside of Dead Men Walking.

Eh, not all Death Worlds are alike. That does sound kind of bad though since even if it's not exactly the same, you'd think regiments from Catachan would at least be able to put some of their knowledge to use, at the very least they'd be cautious.

>it's a death world campaign
>[It Ain't Me starts playing]

You mean to say that the writing for the Guard falls exactly in line with their visual design?

WW1 Guard, WW2 Guard, 'Nam Guard, Starship Troopers Guard, Mongolian Ponyrider Guard, Navy Guard, Russian Guard.

40K is already a highly derivative franchise, but no aspect of the setting is quite as hackneyed and unoriginal as the Imperial Fucking Guard.

Why were they just trying to neuter them?

I mean shit we got fucking AMAZON guard and roman guard even fucking Rhodesian Guard

>The regiment itself is famous for having no personality, which I don't understand.
'The INDIVIDUALS in the regiment are famous for having no personality, because they are completely and totally hardwired to only think of themselves as glorified equipment - they don't even have names, just a number on a datasheet.

They were still trying to kill them all, they just kept targetting the guys with the Meltaguns first because Meltas were the only thing that could hurt them. The point is that the Krieg viewed the Melta as being more important than their own lives without even a single seconds hesitation, and tossed it around to preserve it while they threw themselves into the fray.

They also attacked them with knives, not to actually damage them, but to get the Warriors to focus on chopping the knife-wielders to death while the Meltagunners shot them (still killing the Knife-Krieg in the process).

They have absolutely no regard for their own lives and no self-preservation beyond maximizing combat utility.

I read this! I can't believe somebody else actually reads this shit!

Wow!

>They have absolutely no regard for their own lives and no self-preservation beyond maximizing combat utility.

Yeah that's pretty metal, just like what some Necrons, Orks and Tyranids do.

The best piece of Catachan fluff was when a squad of Cadians ran into some Catachans on another death world the commanding officers were talking the Cadian kept complaining about the planet while the Catachan started to laugh.

>Rhodesian Guard
I don't see a single example of booty shorts.

>zealous devotion to a cause greater than themselves can be appealing.

But it's not appealing. They are programmed to be what they are from birth. They don't devote themselves to the Emperor by their own will and they don't fight for humanity (Our families, our faith, etc). The point is they never chose to fight for a cause greater than themselves, they don't suffer from the fear and pain that is the consequence of their devotion.

This is why I say that Kriegfags are not IG fans. Sorry but that's the good honest truth.

Bushmen of Serica

Yeah, I'm sure the Cadians or Catachans chose a life of suffering and almost certain death without coercion too. Choice is rare in the Imperium.

Has anyone ever thought about what the Krieg regiment is based on? A soldier who thinks of himself as nothing but a piece of equipment to be utilized for maximum combat effiency may speak to how WW1 infratry were used by their commanders. Just sayin... Maybe... Themes n' shit.

I honestly think that it's because Kriegers resonate with people with Aspergers/high-functioning autism. I think that people with Aspergers/high-functioning autism who manage to overcome their condition well enough to get a good job, but don't overcome it well enough to make any friends or find a partner, tend to develop a martyr complex where they see themselves as giving their due to society but society not rewarding them back--they provide the technical expertise necessary to keep modern society running, but they're still left lonely and longing, and that just feels unfair.

When they see a Krieger, part of what they see is themselves--someone who is technically skilled and gives their endless service and devotion to humanity's good, but is socially unsophisticated, and suffers horrendous and unjust tragedy.

Maybe I'm just projecting, but that's just the sense I get.

Its best not to think about it and just shoot

They were born to it but they chose everyday to continue to fight and remain loyal. To suffer through the doubt and despair.

The Kriegers? No, they are not human. So it's a forgone conclusion. They are puppets with no emotion or fear because someone finds that "appealing".

You disgust me, user. Get out.

Here's your (you) before you go.

>Behind every gas mask is Rei Ayanami
That's why neckbears love Krieg. Prove me wrong.

>Be Elysian Drop Trooper
>get called in to save the Kreigers ass from some Tau
>Doing the Kreig classic of sending man after man
>Have some intel the head Ethereal of all this is on planet
>Drop in at night with kick ass sentinels and buggys
>get to the Tau camp
>Strategically take out guards and defenses and plant melta bombs
>Find head vagina head
>Fucker was sleeping though all of this
>blast him in the head and get the holy emperor out of there
>Detonate the melta bombs
>during this Kreigers decided to do a mass blitz against he Tau
>The xenos without a leader were easily broken
>A week later the xenos have been drived off the world
>Victory parade
>All the way in the fucking back
>Not to bad because chicks would be all over our space paratrooper dick
>tfw all the bitches ran towards the Korpsmen
>tfw most of them didnt know how to respond to it

What the fuck is it with the Death Korps? Everyone loves them

I like gas masks and trenches

Third row down, first from the right.

I like 'em because WW1. WW1 was basically the worst thing that ever happened. When Sassoon wrote: "I died in hell: They called it Passchendaele", he wasn't being hyperbolic.

So the idea of a society that's not just adapted to, but actively embraced the worst environment people have put each other through is interesting to me.

I also love the aesthetic. This shit is fucking brutal. And the idea that if you take away all the uniform and gear, you're more likely than not going to find a heavily traumatized teenager.

TL;DR: They look cool and they're grimdark in a way that references real history.

They kinda destroy the tragedy of WWI by having all the guys be vat grown robots with a boner for dying. The horror and depression of the Great War was because they were all real people who had no idea what hell they were stepping into.

And now they're the horror of a society that's broken itself to feed war's hungry mouth, that will never rise above such a thing.

Just because Guard looks a certain way, doesn't mean they have to or even fight that way.

It also depends on the situation. For example the notable example of trench warfare I can recall Krieg being involved was Vraks, which was a heavily fortified and armed fortress. In the way it was presented, trench warfare seemed plausible.

To be fair, equipment being more valuable than human life is supposed to be a general theme of the Imperial Guard since the Imperium doesn't lack for manpower. Of course it's not as likely that another regiment would behave in the same manner as the Kriegers did in such a scenario. Sort of explains part of their appeal.

They aren't programmed, they are what they are because of their culture. They've been raised to see dying in service to the Emperor as the ultimate goal and everything else of little importance and they accept that.

Them accepting this fate and their devotion to the Emperor is the greater cause and their willingness to cast aside everything else for it does have an appeal.

Why you can't at least see this type of appeal to them I'm not sure. I can see the appeal of other regiments fighting to protect something and even the people who beat their chests over HFY.

I'm not even a Kriegfag, I've just read the first Vraks book and thought that in addition to them looking kind of cool that I sort of liked their lore. Maybe it's because I was raised Catholic and as a kid had an interests in the saints. For every saint who became one just because they're lived a pious life, there is also one who in part became a saint because they chose to die for their beliefs.

I don't want your (you)s. I want you to get out from my fandom.

Not quite.
They are given names, they're just recycled names from the original defenders to further drive home THE ETERNAL DEBT YOU MUST PAY.

You say you don't want me to reply, yet you keep doing it. Are you certain you don't enjoy this?

What if the whole Vitae Womb actually implants Kriegers with some kind of hive-mind, so they're all basically the same guy acting through hundreds of different bodies?

I know its not but I kinda want it to be

Fuck that noise.
Gas masks look cool and add a monstrous/inhuman element to a human silhouette.

Relax your complexes Freud

Because, in many ways, they set the standard for brutality in an already brutal setting. Even Commissars are unnerved by them. In many ways, they also epitomize the Imperium; slow, ruthless, uncaring, and unstoppable.

I feel like the bit about the Warhawks having grav-gliders basically turns them into Nausicaa: the regiment.

You must be the kind of guy who thinks pic related is totally awesome and not stupid and cringey as fuck.

Also, inefficient, wasteful, and bogged down in self-destructive tradition/culture.

>Them accepting this fate and their devotion to the Emperor is the greater cause and their willingness to cast aside everything else for it does have an appeal.

That's what the IG do. That's not what the Krieg do. They are testtube babies created and indoctrinated from birth. They are no better than Space Marines. So the whole MANLY TEARS aspect you guys give them is false. I can connect with the struggle of an ordinary IG because ge lived a human life and he is forced to give that away. I cannot with a Krieg because he is a tool. Designed by the devs and the Imperium to be inhuman which defeats the point of the IG and thusly their fans are not IG fans.

Probably why that loser is driving a slammed golf with chrome wheels.

Sure can still be, the corpses from the exercise are collected and refuted to work in the factories

Either be a part of the discussion or get out.

>you're more likely than not going to find a heavily traumatized teenager.

Nah, you will find a brainwashed drone. You know, like the Unsullied except somehow less connected with humanity.

And you said it, it's all about the aesthetics. I doubt if the Kriegers didn't have their "neat" aesthetics, anyone would stomach their lore.

Guardsman are forcibly drafted just as much as they are willingly signed on, and then it's always the dregs of whatever shithole planet that choose a certain death. Cadians undergo live-fire exercises at the age of five. Catachans choose the Guard for a longer life, unlike everyone else. Being in the guard sucks, dude.

I quite enjoy the lore.
The thing about it is, the individual, nor the Regiment are not the focus of it. It's the entire Korps. It is a once idealistic world turned into nothing but a hellhole by a needless war and pushed past the breaking point, then used by heedless Generals to pursue the most unforgiving wars. They will never achieve the one thing they desire above all else, because they're needed too much in their current state.

If you like brainwashed emotionless puppets straight outta of flesh factories, I suggest the Skitarii.

At least they are honest by dropping the pretence of humanity.

You are ass roasted by people daring to love one of the best examples of the ugly bitterness of the Imperium.

Dead Men Walking was a good fucking book.

It's also just like America as they only lose due to somebody else being incompetent.

I know it sucks which why it's admirable for them to continue to fight and struggle in it day after day. Battlefield after battlefield. They could at any moment given in to despair and temptation but they solider on which makes them heroic.

The Kriegers were breed and brainwashed to know feel no fear or despair. They have no desires or wants other than dying, thanks to their brainwash. There is no chance that they will break under pressure or give in. So it's impossible for them to be brave or heroic. They are in the same alley as combat servitors.

>Classified

Of course the 1st Membranes are classified.

I am mad that you are defiling my IG fandom that's suppose to celebrate humanity.

Not him but it clearly was done strictly for the picture.

Also
>you either think it's retarded or you will sick their dick first chance, no middle ground
K

>he thinks 40k is a HFY setting

That's a fair opinion, and yes, if you see them as inhuman I can see why you wouldn't think they represent the IG.

I suppose I see the Kriegers as human. Brutalized and terrified into what the Prussians used to call "Corpse-Dicipline", yes, but making people into tools is another thing that humans sometimes do to humans.

And yet there's always something there to show the Imperium's complete lack of trust in that heroism. Like the commissars, or how equipment is always shipped in instead of harvested from the world around them, or how the Navy that moves them between battlegrounds is separate and distant from them.
The whole Imperium of man is one man working while the other man points a gun down at his head.

It went from HFY to oh fuck

I like to think that Generals love having Krieger regiments to command.

"Oh good, we've got meatshields to protect the important regiments."

If there's one thing that Kriegers do well, it's serve as meatshields.

And the picture looks stupid. How does "I only did it for a photo" an argument? I guess duckface is okay then?

seriously? you write a two-paragraph over-the-internet psychoanalysis about how people who like an aesthetic/shitty forced-tragic backstory are spergs, not internet spergs but actual "high-functioning Autists" down to their indivdual motivations, interpersonal relationships, emotional complexes and you're accusing other people of cringe? fucking masterwork e-diagnosis there, champ.

and christ no, that picture is awful. context matters.

and surviving those oh fuck moments is a sort of HFY in itself, although its always undercut by piss from those above.

>he doesn't think 40K is HFY setting

>you write a two-paragraph over-the-internet psychoanalysis

That wasn't me, try again. Also, nice two-paragraph over-the-internet buttmad analysis. It's like you literally can't fathom that more than one person on the internet thinks gas masks are stupid. Any military service member will tell you how much they hate gas masks too.

>humans are literally losing on all fronts
>they have to become just another bad guy to even survive
>humans are just corpses for the meatgrinder of war, the real heroes are all superhumans

Balls of steel is just a meme, newfriend.

"Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned.
Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war.
There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."

>Balls of steel is a meme

man fuck off

I wish I had the image when they're all scared by the monstrous necro-spider at the end and only fight on by application of Slaught, or how only the fat guy and the Redemmer survives the fight.

Are you actually defending the autismo projector in or just saying gas masks look stupid?

Because I agree with the latter but that post is just terrible.

*Redeemer fuck.

It's the helmets.

And it's the fact they're the epitome of 40k

40K is about how fucking shit the humans are. It's not HFY in any shape or form.

I could post it got a couple of Redeemer shit.

>Orks caring about maximising combat efficiency
>Actively strapping bombs to sticks to hit tanks with
>Actively strapping anything to anything to anything with

Orks dont care about combat efficiency, they just try to become more killy through any means possible, and many lelz occur in the process as it somehow manages to work.

Kriegers are people. I mean, there's no shortage of fucked up human beings in 40k, but there's nothing any more fundamentally inhuman about a Krieger than any other Guardsman. Hell, if the argument's going to be that Kriegs have become something other than human beings and are thusly incapable of valor, why not point to Space Marines? They're *literally* no longer human, and their entire lives are one big brainwashing session.

Like, the Krieg are a pretty silly regiment, but I think you're coming at it from a weird angle. Think of the Krieg like really fucked up, hereditarily guilty Star Trek Vulcans. They're still living creatures with emotions, they've just spent their whole lives figuring out how to ignore them so that they can get back to doing what they love: namely, finding the most meaningless, depressing way to die for the Emperor.

>Despite being beset by untold horrors and dangers from within and without, humanity through grit and sacrifice have endured for 10K years and maintained their supremacy over the galaxy
>If they can hold on for a few years more, a new golden age of wonderment awaits them

HFY is 40K, 40K is HFY.

Yes, which is why they are interesting to many people. They are the rendered down, broken fragments of what was once a human smashed against the altar of war.

It's not brainwashing either. That implies a forcible psychological change in how a person thinks. Their entire culture is raised this way. It IS how they think. Just like Cadians.

Cadians don't volunteer to join the army. They are all literally raised as soldiers. EVERYONE. They learn weapon drills and disassembly before reading and writing. There are no civilians on Cadia. All of Cadia is at the very least a militia. The cream is scraped off to fight where needed but no one chooses. You fight or serve as seen fit or you can talk to command/commisariat. They have a glorified martial tradition that promotes selflessness, tactics, discipline, and service as the greatest values to uphold.

Krieg just goes farther in that they are the only values they know of. They don't have heroes because that is simply how you should die. Cadians are like a blade tempered and forged by battle into true steel. Kriegers are a blade that has been heated and hammered to the point that it is only the hard iron that remains. They will shatter before they bend.

They are one of hundreds of different regiments with different tactics and values. People enjoy them because they aren't glorious heroes at the last stand or the honored martyrs of the forlorn hope.

There are no battle cries or parades.

They are mankind's destiny in the setting if the status quo remains, a grim glimpse of the what an eternity of war will do to the human spirit. War will not be a profession or craft, or a sacrifice worthy of song.

War will be no more than a reflex like breathing.

That would be super cool if you could, thanks.

at ld 7 it is most certainly a meme.

No, no it is not.

and for absolutely free ill throw in Deth Swadron

>If they can hold on for a few years more, they get to fight Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade, the Necrons waking up, and the Tyranid main biofleet.

I wish they would make more 40k comics

>>Actively strapping anything to anything to anything with
I laughed harder than I had any right to at this phrase. It's also ORKYORKYORKY% accurate

That's fucking sick.