ARMS 'N ARMOR THREAD- GREAT BASCINET EDITION

I NEED PICTURES

PICTURES OF BASCINETS WITH NON-POINTY VISORS

Preferably attached to a body and not just the helmet itself, so it doubles as character art.

Well I fucked up.

>those toe points
I didn't realize they made Mexican plate metal armor.

Anyone have good Indian or Persian stuff?

Weapons or armor.

>great helm and basinet
>plate breastplate

shouldn't he have coat of plates at best?

Great Helms were worn well into the 14th century over bascinets for tournament combat or cavalry charges.

There ya go famalam

Can someone explain what the point of this thing? It's like if you want to catch opponent's blade with your hand instead of cross-guard.

Not if you use the flatahmystronk though...

Tourists love it.

Why is transitional armour so fucking aesthetic?

In colder climates and seasons, how would someone wearing plate armor bundle themselves? Would they put layers on top of, or underneath, their armor?

>Dinkelberg...

Over. Jupons are really fucking cozy.

this thread needs more mid-15th century harnesses

...but a simple hauberk n' tabard from the 12th-13th century wouldn't hurt

That glossy black is just perfect

More oldies!

also OP, the type of visor you might be looking for is called a klappvisor

Thanks, I really need some of these. Gonna start a 13th century campaign in a few months and I'm low on visual support.
I have nothing to contribute for now, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

>says i have to wait 3 minutes to post a duplicate reply
what

That seems like an absolutely terrible helmet for jousting. It would funnel lances right into the gaping visor.

i probably just need to put words in the box

yeah that seems to be fixing the duplicate reply shit

Man oldschool helmets look goofy as hell.
That's why I love them.

yes this is literally creighton from dark souls 2

Can I get some maces? Preferably not flanged.

Klapvisor just refers to a single hinged flap dummkopf.

It's not for jousting. It's for mounted combat with swords or foot combat.

>Why is transitional armour so fucking aesthetic?
I think it looks kinda shitty.

But I'm heavily biased due to my time in the SCA. So many try pulling off the 14th century look but just look goofy in it. I also prefer earlier period armors. Give me a nice lamellar or hauberk with a spangenhelm or sugarloaf.

yeah but most of the time if you search for klappvisor you'll get non-pointy visors

just a little piece of history that's been lost, sadly

post sexy brigandines

>corrizina
>brigandine
Triggered

>getting triggered at corrazina called brigandine
>posts a coat of plates

What's the difference between them? Number of plates?

size of the plates mostly, but it's a very blurry line.
Another big difference is that brigantine comes when coat of plates are start to get obsolate and survives into the 16th century

Bring your children to work day?

Brigadine is particularly small plate right? Also while we're on the topic, happen to know if a pair of plates was different than a coat of plates, or just a confusing synonym?

Brigandine has smaller plates yes, also it's usually put on a textile backing, plates are horizontal (mostly) and opens at the front.
Coat of plates are put on a leather backing, (according to surviving examples) and plates are (mostly) vertical, and it's more of a poncho stlye thing, that sometimes "opens" at the back
Also brigandine gives you a hourglass shape, coat of plates doesn't.
etc.

> happen to know if a pair of plates was different than a coat of plates, or just a confusing synonym?
.. what kind of pair of plates? never heard that term

Pair of plates is indeed another term for a CoP. Pair in this sense referring to a set of plates rather than two individual components.

never heard of it before this. Then again there are no unversal terminology for this, so there is that.

This one is an in-period term; 13thC and earlier end of the 14thC iirc

no surprise then, I mostly know about 15-16thC stuff

It's because the board thinks you're spamming by replying to the same post every time. Most people reply to each of their posts in a chain when they pic-dump

>Another big difference is that brigantine comes when coat of plates are start to get obsolate and survives into the 16th century
What? I thought guys were still wearing jacks of plates as civilian protection in 30y war era?

jacks replace brigandine in the mid-16th C,

similar, but very different construction method - cord, instead of rivets hold each plate.