/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Peter The Great Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/ocv142av7kaf2zm/The Great Northern War 1700-1721.pdf
mediafire.com/download/icgmhucrdcm2jvs/Osprey - CAM 034 - Poltava 1709.pdf
mediafire.com/download/sa4n4skc69h08lj/Osprey - MAA 260 - Peter the Great's Army (1) Infantry.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6ihd6ticp6xq1nc/Osprey - MAA 264 - Peter the Great's Army (2) Cavalry.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costas_Georgiou
mediafire.com/download/irdxpr056rc9qmb/Osprey - MAA 202 - Modern African Wars (2) Angola and Mozambique 1961-74.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=QjD2vAwmmd0
youtube.com/watch?v=4kH0GH1M2bQ
mediafire.com/folder/3a3tosxz7b0oa/The_War_in_Vietnam
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Point_disaster
youtube.com/watch?v=vmnnqJm_4Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=OshC6d2aFAI
old-games.com/download/5430/nam-1965-1975
youtube.com/watch?v=YgZpL-3IVoI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Ronin
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Hail Caesar! Late Antiquity to Early Medieval Army List
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Germany Strikes!
Bolt Action: Empire in Flames

June 28th in military history:

1098 – Fighters of the First Crusade defeat Kerbogha of Mosull.
1651 – The Battle of Berestechko between Poland and Ukraine starts.
1709 – Peter the Great defeats Charles XII of Sweden at the Battle of Poltava
1745 – A New England colonial army captures the French fortifications at Louisbourg (New Style).
1776 – The Battle of Sullivan's Island ends with the first decisive American victory in the American Revolutionary War
1778 – The American Continentals engage the British in the Battle of Monmouth Courthouse resulting in standstill and British withdrawal under cover of darkness.
1807 – Second British invasion of the Río de la Plata; John Whitelocke lands at Ensenada on an attempt to recapture Buenos Aires and is defeated by the locals.
1865 – The Army of the Potomac is disbanded.
1880 – The Australian bushranger Ned Kelly is captured at Glenrowan.
1914 – Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by Bosnia Serb nationalist Gavrilo Princip, the casus belli of World War I.
1919 – The Treaty of Versailles is signed, ending the state of war between Germany and the Allies of World War I.
1922 – The Irish Civil War begins with the shelling of the Four Courts in Dublin by Free State forces.
1942 – World War II: Nazi Germany starts its strategic summer offensive against the Soviet Union, codenamed Case Blue
1950 – Korean War: Seoul is captured by North Korean troops.
1976 – The Angolan court sentences US and UK mercenaries to death sentences and prison terms in the Luanda Trial.
1987 – For the first time in military history, a civilian population is targeted for chemical attack when Iraqi warplanes bombed the Iranian town of Sardasht.

It is 307 years since the Battle of Poltava, a decisive victory of Peter I of Russia (also known as Peter the Great) over the Swedish forces under Field Marshal Carl Gustav Rehnskiöld, during the Great Northern War. It is widely believed to have been the beginning of Sweden's decline as a Great Power, as the Tsardom of Russia took its place as the leading nation of north-eastern Europe. The battle also bears major importance in Ukrainian national history, as Hetman Ivan Mazepa sided with the Swedes, seeking to create an uprising in Ukraine against the tsardom.

In 1708, King Charles XII of Sweden had invaded Russia with the goal of bringing the Great Northern War to an end. Turned away at Smolensk, he moved into the Ukraine for the winter. As his troops endured the frigid weather, Charles sought allies for his cause. While he had previously received a commitment from Ivan Mazepa's Hetman Cossacks, the only additional forces who were willing to join him were the Zaporozhian Cossacks of Otaman Kost Hordiienko. Charles' position was further weakened by the need to leave an army corps in Poland to aid King Stanislaus I Leszczyñski.

As the campaigning season approached, Charles' generals advised him to fall back to Volhynia as the Russians were beginning to surround their position. Unwilling to retreat, Charles planned an ambitious campaign to capture Moscow by crossing the Vorskla River and moving via Kharkov and Kursk. Advancing with 24,000 men, but only 4 guns, Charles first invested the city of Poltava along the banks of the Vorskla. Defended by 6,900 Russian and Ukrainian troops, Poltava held out against Charles' attack, while waiting for Tsar Peter the Great to arrive with reinforcements.

Marching south with 42,500 men and 102 guns, Peter sought to relieve the city and inflict a damaging blow on Charles.

On June 26th, Charles was informed that 40,000 Kalmyks were marching to reinforce Peter. Rather than retreat, and despite being outnumbered, the king elected to strike at the Russian camp the next morning. Around 5:00 AM on July 8, the Swedish infantry advanced towards the Russian camp. Its attack was met by the Russian cavalry which forced them to retreat. As the infantry withdrew, the Swedish cavalry counterattacked, driving back the Russians. Their advance was halted by heavy fire and they fell back. Rehnskiöld again sent the infantry forward and they succeeded in taking two Russian redoubts.

Despite this foothold, the Swedes were not able to hold them. As they attempted to bypass the Russian defenses, Prince Aleksandr Menshikov's forces nearly encircled them and inflicted massive casualties. Fleeing back, the Swedes took refuge in the Budyshcha Forest where Charles rallied them. Around 9:00 AM, both sides advanced into the open. Charging forward, the Swedish ranks were pounded by the Russian guns. Striking the Russian lines, they nearly broke through. As the Swedes battled, the Russian right swung around to flank them. According to Charles and other reports from other Swede officers, the weather at that time was already very hot and humid with the sun obscured by smoke from the Russian cannon in the fort.

Under extreme pressure, the Swedish infantry broke and began fleeing the field. The cavalry advanced to cover their withdrawal, but was met with heavy fire. From his stretcher at the rear, Charles ordered the army to begin retreating. Small groups of soldiers managed to break through and escape to the south through the Budyschenski wood, while many of the rest were overwhelmed, ridden down, or captured.

The Battle of Poltava was a disaster for Sweden and a turning point in the Great Northern War. Swedish casualties numbered 6,900 dead and wounded, as well as 2,800 taken prisoner. Among those captured was Field Marshal Rehnskiöld. Russian losses were 1,350 killed and 3,300 wounded. Retreating from the field, the Swedes moved along the Vorskla towards its confluence with the Dnieper. Lacking enought boats to cross the river, Charles and Ivan Mazepa crossed with a bodyguard of 1,000-3,000 men. Riding west, Charles found sanctuary with the Ottomans in Bendery, Moldavia. He remained in exile for five years before returning to Sweden. Along the Dnieper, Lewenhaupt was elected to surrender the remnants of the Swedish army (12,000 men) to Menshikov on July 11.

This is a colorful, sprawling clash from a relatively obscure conflict that is a must-fight for fans of pike and shot, coming as it does right at the end of that era. It exemplifies a lot of the qualities (especially maneuver) of that period while having a distinctly Baltic flavour that sets it apart from other contemporary European battles.

mediafire.com/download/ocv142av7kaf2zm/The Great Northern War 1700-1721.pdf

mediafire.com/download/icgmhucrdcm2jvs/Osprey - CAM 034 - Poltava 1709.pdf
mediafire.com/download/sa4n4skc69h08lj/Osprey - MAA 260 - Peter the Great's Army (1) Infantry.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6ihd6ticp6xq1nc/Osprey - MAA 264 - Peter the Great's Army (2) Cavalry.pdf

It is 40 years since the end of the Luanda Trial, which is considered the final chapter in the "golden age" (if you could call it that) of Cold War mercenarism in Africa. The Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA) prosecuted thirteen foreign mercenaries who had served its defeated rival, the National Liberation Front of Angola (FNLA). Nine of them (mainly Brits and Americans but also a South African) received prison terms of 16-30 years, while four men were sentenced to death. They were:

Costas Georgiou (aka "Colonel Tony Callan"), 25 (Cyprus/UK)
Andrew Gordon McKenzie, 25 (UK)
Derek John Barker, 35 (UK)
Daniel Francis Gearhart, 34 (USA)

Now Callan was a murdering psychopath, who lived and died by the sword. But the other three men were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Gearhart had only been in-country a week; a Vietnam veteran drowning in debt, he had never so much as fired a shot. The fact that he had advertised in 'Soldier Of Fortune' magazine was held to aggravate the charges against him, and in vain did the father of four insist that being tried for his life was enough to scare him straight out of the business.

British Prime Minister James Callaghan sent a cable to Angolan President Agostinho Neto requesting mercy for the men. Nevertheless, the four condemned were executed by MPLA military police on July 10, 1976. McKenzie, who had been seriously wounded in the leg and used a wheelchair, stood up to face the firing squad. All the remaining prisoners were eventually released by 1984.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costas_Georgiou
mediafire.com/download/irdxpr056rc9qmb/Osprey - MAA 202 - Modern African Wars (2) Angola and Mozambique 1961-74.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=QjD2vAwmmd0

youtube.com/watch?v=4kH0GH1M2bQ

Thanks for making, those hours were some of the roughest in my life.

You know, anyone can make the thread right? It could be you.

Nah this thread doesn't just have an OP, it has 5 OPs. Too scary m8.

Why does /hwg/ have so few namefags compared to other generals?

Is the scarcity of namefags why /hwg/ is the comfiest general?

Iunno, I've been lurking for some time, but decided to start namefagging because 1:72 is kinda my shtick.

There's no real need to namefag here unless you've got something to contribute at that particular point in time, and most of our posters understand that.

As for comfiness, it helps that we don't have factional arguments as much as most threads, and generally when we're talking about Fiat we're talking sexy Italian planes and not "muh snowflakes have it the worst."
Usually the worst we get is the occasional shitposter, either about "you play bad guys, you endorse their beliefs" or someone trying hard to start a scales war.

>when we're talking about Fiat we're talking sexy Italian planes
They did sexy armoured cars too!

When I talk about fiats, I'm usually talking about the M14 Carro Armato. Its a great light tank... many MGs

Autoblinda for best Italian Armored car

I used to namefag a lot as Game Writing user, but eh whats the point. Most people recognize my rulesets or the name on my rulesets anyway, or just dont care. I dont really see any reason to namefag.

I finished the latest draft of my Vietnam map campaign rules: The Printable B+W map is here:

mediafire.com/folder/3a3tosxz7b0oa/The_War_in_Vietnam

I still need to playtest this thing though. Should be hilarious.

>Autoblinda for best Italian Armored car
Patrician choice

>Only notice typos when I post the PDF
every blooming time...

In other news I now have 9 T-70s! all assembled I'll paint them up tomorrow and take a photo. Gonna go for whitewash to fit with the rest of my soviets. Time to get my hand pained red stars back up to scratch (PSC dont come with transfers)

Good thing about paintind red stars is they are not hard to do, and if you fuck them up a bit, it's no problem - if anything, it makes them more Soviet.

>1987 – For the first time in military history, a civilian population is targeted for chemical attack when Iraqi warplanes bombed the Iranian town of Sardasht.
I could bet the british and italians did that some decades before already.

In a thread a while back, someone mentioned terrible 90s era looking UK-only websites as being part of the historical wargaming experience. But don't forget about the atrocious example pictures. I recently purchased some Baccus historicals and Magister Militum fantasy. Both looked like little globs of metal with paint smeared on them in the examples, but the actual product I was sent are actually detailed and look very nice.

IF they have pictures, but sometimes they don't even bother with that.

Looking at you, Britannia and Liberation.

Quite right user. While British use of chemical agents in Mesopotamia in 1920 is not independently verified (but still quite probable), the French and Spanish definitely used it in the Rif in 1926, and as you mention the Italians would employ it during their invasion of Ethiopia. I didn't think much of it when writing the timeline up, but I should have dropped that "for the first time in military history" bit. At least we can correct the error civilly and in detail!

Don't forget that some of them make absolutely sure that you really, truly, very much want to order what ever it is you want. Looking at you, Navwar.

>that picture
How do you want your naval maneuvers, senpai?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Point_disaster

I had to save that gif in the article, that's even more golden than the one I posted.

Did Japan use chemical weapons in China or just biological?

Both.

What rules do you think handle recon well?

That is, the rules are structured to encourage recon troops to conduct reconnaissance rather than just acting like light tanks/infantry. Alternatively, should rules force a player to not spearhead an assault with their Puma?

Battlegroup.

>Dat open magazine
Chauchat says hi, or it would if it's mouth wasn't full of trench dirt.

Anyone know of North American sources for Cromwell Models? Need that sweet Leopard MEXAS kit.

Planning on releasing a small expansion for the main game, focusing on naval battles and stuff. Gonna make sure there's campaign integration and probably port over the quest campaign system for medieval adventures.

I'm also looking at getting an ancient adaption put together.

>Dammit Britannia, get your shit together and rule your waves. Nobody is gonna pick up your slack for you.

Some more Royal Navy stuff. This time it's three Tribal Class DD's, three JKN Class DD's, a River Class frigate, a Town Class cruiser, and the Crown Colony and Dido class cruisers I posted a while ago. As before, basing is incomplete, hence the blutack sticking out from under the hulls.

>thought I based my models in 25mm squares
>slowly realize the were actually 20mm

in Ostfront we place a few playing cards in no mans land, face down. If a unit moves over them, that player can pick up the card.

Each card has a different effect, form a free air strike, to a camouflaged tank appearing, to being able to fire once in the enemies turn, or reveal a surprise minefield on an enemy unit that just moved.

This encourages recon to no end, as both players light vehicles race out to try to grab the cards, usually having a small skirmish while the rest of the force advances. He who recons best gets the bonus of information, leading to artillery strikes, infantry showing up out of nowhere, tank reinforcements, etc.

They're carefully balanced to be a slight boost, but not too game changing.

Pumas on the other hand are very light and dont handle AT fire very well, so best used to race up into a hull down position and then defensively. Either that or just stay out of sight the whole time, then at an opportune moment pop out of cover and nail a tank in the side or rear at close range. Puma's are also pretty passable against infantry and light vehicles.

BMP

I like that one!

While an interesting mechanic it'd bother my autism because
>having a playing card ruin the terrain

Yeah I have to agree with that one, but thankfully they only last 2 turns max, then they're all gone. Players snap them up pretty quickly. So quickly we had to make a rule that you can't capture them on turn 1!

You could potentially create small markers that fit in with terrain, like a small ammo dump or some such, and if a player makes contact with it, they just draw a card from a deck and remove the marker from the table.

That might be a good compromise. Make a scenic marker with an agreed area of effect. Move into that area surrounding the marker and it triggers the rule.

Though you'd have to work on whether players place them blind (so you never know what you might set off, or where) or agree on them or whatever.

Second, smaller unit of Brits for the Zulu War done. I need another three base unit, plus two base cavalry unit which I'm not sure yet what to do, so any input is welcomed. I have Natal Native horse, dragoons, mounted infantry and lancers to choose from.

...plus Frontier Light Horse, whoopsie.

bump

I've recently taken an interest in the American Civil War. Can /hwg/ recommend any books/films/tv shows etc. about this period?

I've already seen Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, and I'm hungry for more.

The Grierson Raid is a really good book about the...Grierson Raid.

Ken Burns' Civil War. Really excellent series. Can't recommend it enough. Find it on DVD somewhere, its pretty common, that or torrent it or something. I think there might be a few of the episodes on youtube too

Glory (1989) is a good one. Also Ken Burns' documentary of course, and related to that the books of Shelby Foote. Naturally our ACW

>Naturally our ACW
What I meant to say was that our ACW folder contains a lot of good reading material too.

Recon is really hard to do properly without good fog of war rules. If you can see everything your opponent has, you dont need recon.

Men of War was great for this because as a vidya you had no idea where the enemy was until they came within LOS of some of your units. In that game recon was essential just to work out where the enemy was and what he was using.

Often using an officer with binocs was all you needed, but you still needed to spend a bit of time scanning around with said binocs, always well worth doing. Damn great game, still one of the best WW2 tactical games I've ever played. Single player campaign was glorious too, but 1 V 1 LANs were where it was at.

The Civil War, a Narrative by Shelby Foote.

The Battle Cry of Freedom, J. McPherson

Spot on, yet light read.

Any of you do individually based 6mm figs? Recommend it or not? What do you base them on? Cost and storage considerations are making 6mm increasingly attractive to me.

Can you tell officers or special weapons apart easily or do you color code the bases or similar?

I wouldn't do it - smallest scale I'd base separately is 15mm.

Who made those figs, and what scale are those by the way?

Tell me hwg have i done the right thing, what should i expect ?

Broken/missing pieces and replacements sent in quick order.

I hate resin/metal hybrid kits. Either make it all metal or all resin.

well you could have found something for £9 to reach the £50 free shipping cap and thereby got essentially £5 off that thing.

Also, £46 for 1 tank and 1 Flak gun seems awfully dear to me.

Ah but i cant because if it is at 50 pounds it will get stuck at customs and i will have to pay extra tax for it.

But metal barrels are .... nice

>But metal barrels are .... nice
And metal everything-else is horrible. Maybe for parts too small, but metal would break too if resin would break.

20mm modern Russians by Elhiem Miniatures

Go with this, a far better read than McPherson...

A real shame they overhauled the game with Assault Squad 1+2 towards a "call reinforcements for supply points"-game with no proper single player missions any longer ;_;

Metal barrels are nice. Bendable white metal barrels these kits use are everything but nice.

Thank you for the suggestions.

youtube.com/watch?v=vmnnqJm_4Pc
Here's something in return.

Wargame does recon better imo

Ive only played ass squad 2, I thought it was fun....

I do individual based 3mm :^)

for squad leaders anyway

Get the Faces of War campagins from the steam workshop and see the difference :3

Stick a few on a base to represent a "unit" depending on ruleset (blitzkrieg commander 2 for example) this "unit" can represent a single platoon, company etc depending on how you want to go with it. That way you can have heavy units, support units, etc and they won't get all fucked up in storage.

Storage. Get something foam like for 28mm and pad it out with extra foam, or make your own. There are companies than make cardboard and foam storage which look good. I bought some plastic boxes and grey foam, cut it and glued it to size and stuff the figure in the boxes. DIY jobbie.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NO NONO ONE MODEL FOR ONE GUY REEEEEE

kek. Depends on how fat the soldiers are. Modern warfare, okay. Historical? Can't source fatty models to justify it.

>inb4 fatties REEEEEing at me!

Something about your stuff works in a "This is my thing going on" kinda way.

Like.

Thanks user, Its very much my first project of this kind and Im just sorta making it work rather than consulting guides.

>my first project

I hope yours is going like my first project went;
Nice manageable goals, which keep extending slightly unmanageably and ends up taking up much more time than you ever intended.

Haha every now and then I get carried away about what I could do in the future

>Oh I just have enough space for this campaign map i should buy x y and z and do it

but then I remember I havent even finished this first stuff or even played a game yet and it puts me back on track

>but then I remember I havent even played a game yet
A year after completing all three armies for Talavera in 10mm I still haven't played it, so yeah, I wouldn't worry about that too much

If this game is alleged complete it's retarded.
>There's literally no reason why a human VC player wouldn't pick Camo-Inf every single time. It literally can't lose unless it chooses to.

>Actually, there is a thing for the VC to do first. Flash a few civilians at the Americans to sap their war support and then just fall into CI for the rest of the game while low war support makes 'Gringo go home'.

A real concrete improvement to this as a game would be to add the 'Aid Worker' unit type to the Americans. A unit that, I dunno, auto-defeats the civilians and randomly improves war support or moral when auto slaughtered by CI (or TI?)

Alternatively, allow at least one troop type to force engagement from the CI (and TI). Maybe some 'ARVN Rangers' or some such shite.

I made a huge board with a trench, covered it, half finished it, left it for a bit and it warped.

>not using a decent hard surface, or modular design.

Now: Bits of cloth and houses/terrain mounted on old credit cards (6mm mainly).

POST EVER PICTURE OFTHAT

Cool ideas! I might make the Camouflaged infantry less effective against infantry, armor, and artillery. Especially infantry because they're going to expose the camouflaged infantry if they're in the same area. Marines should probably force engagement with the CI/TI

Although the VC constantly spamming camouflaged infantry and sapping war support would be pretty realistic :^)

I like the aid worker idea too. I was thinking about tunnel rats too, but there just weren't that many of them to make an impact.

Its untested at this stage, I'll hopefully give it a bash over the next few days, most of these problems should arise and be dealt with during the first playtest. Tempted to get the full color map printed and laminated at a local print shop...

Why not introduce SOG patrols as something for the US, probably not as a unit but rather as an 'ability' so to speak, which either denies CI from entering/leaving the hexes around where they're patrolling or forces them to engage if attacked in that area.

I think I might go for something like a roll off to see if the US ground forces detect the Camo infantry. If they do, both must fight and the CI become locked for that turn. If not, then the CI can choose to engage. Having the CI always choose to engage is a bit overpowered. Playtesting as always will show up these kind of holes. Patrols are a great idea though. Unit declares its patrolling, and has some kind of recon effect to help show up camouflaged and tunneled infantry.

I've been playing the old NAM game from 1998. As much as it gets bad reviews its really gets the feeling of vietnam across. Been thoroughly enjoying it, especially all the SFX and constant radio chatter. There's always some kind of gunfire or air strikes going on, or someone yelling "MEDIIIC!!"

Ever played the video game Vietnam '65? It's on sale though Steam for $5 right now.

It tracks a political score and a Hearts and Minds score so killing VC increases political score while having your troops visit villages increases your H&M and gives intel about VC in the area.

It has basic infantry who can do most anything as wellas green berets like who are better at recon than combat and can train local patrols

>Vietnam '65
Looks great! very much in line with what I'm trying to do. I played "nam 1965 - 1975" but its a bit old scool for my liking. Still kind of cool though.

I was thinking marines would be the "hardcore" infantry who are more capable than the standard Light Infantry. Not sure if introducing a 3rd type of infantry is such a good idea, but a specific recon one could potentially be cool. SOG or Green Berets or SEALs or something...

>I played "nam 1965 - 1975" but its a bit old scool for my liking. Still kind of cool though.
I was just about to recommend that

youtube.com/watch?v=OshC6d2aFAI
old-games.com/download/5430/nam-1965-1975

Yeah its interesting that its real time and not turn based...

>You will never be part of a ShackTac Arma 2 Vietnam mission with no group overlay and radio / voice contact only

youtube.com/watch?v=YgZpL-3IVoI

Why live?
[/v, /vr]

whats the point of including all of SEA when you only play on 10% of the map????????

US forces can deploy in Thailand, and can conduct air strikes and recon over laos and cambodia, they just can't send ground troops in. Likewise with North Vietnam. The only places neither player can go is china and Hainan island

There any good system for campaign play? And anyone ever worked different games together? Say, an aerial warfare game, naval game, and land combat game for WWII, or maybe a land and skirmish game for a campaign about a civil war and espionage? Been thinking of combining three non-historical wargames together, and you guys seem like you'd know that best.

Our homebrew WW2 game has full campaign play, and we've experimented with using navies and subs too, but shit gets kinda out of hand, we prefer to focus on land battles defined by the forces on the campaign map, with a little bit of air support and defense. Keeps things simple. Personally if I want to play WW2 naval I want to commit and just do naval, there's plenty of detail and different units (as well as the air factor) to keep things interesting.

I dont know how many WW2 game do campaign support, but I would hope that Flames of War and some of the other systems have map campaign systems. If not, they're missing out. Map campaigns combined with tabletop tactical games are some of the most fun you can have wargaming!

So, wait, is the way to do a campaign just assigning armies movement ranges? Because that seems a bit clunky, more like Total War or Crusader Kings (I know, I'm pleb tier) than a tactics game.