/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - Aarakocra Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Look at those big beautiful talons! Perfect for grappling, wouldn't you say?

This general is broken. Can we get a new one?

Anyone ever taken a frog familiar?

I'm thinking of playing a Lawful Evil character, don't really have much of an idea beyond that. Possibly considering trying out a Minotaur or Warforged, any ideas where I could go from there?

I'm usually just a Chaotic Neutral shitter, but I thought I might give LE a try since the friend that invited me to the game's playing LE, and the party is currently on a pirate ship.

Maybe if they were somehow grappling and flying, but they can't do that because of the weight restrictions aarococks have when flying. Otherwise I would say they would have to be prone, which since we are in DM fiat land anyway, means that they would have disadvantage on athletics checks to grapple non-prone targets, and they would have to remain prone for the duration of the grapple. You could also only crawl, which is half speed, and grappling is half again.

Congratulations, you just essentially just knocked yourself prone and grappled yourself.

I don't get why the general is so assblasted by the idea of an Aarakocra grappling with its talons?

>If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them
It would be pretty silly to rule that they can't use their talons to grapple. That's literally exactly what talons evolved to do.

Most of the alignment charts say lawful evil is all about order, but remember evil can be described as unwilling to put others before themselves. So just be selfish and really try to follow the rules, unless they get in your way.

Lawful evil characters are fun and tend to be the best at getting shit done. I love playing Sith Lord style warlocks and end up as the partyface/badcop. I also got a halfling trafficking syndicate off the ground.

Anyone have a good list of random encounters that aren't just straight up 'fight these dudes'?

Why didn't EE aarakocra get their MM Dive Attack?

Your thread image looks like the embodiment of 'Murica and FREEDOM.

Every lawful evil character I made was basically just a Sith in a non Star Wars setting. It's just too easy/fun. Because they aren't violent retards they could easily be tailored to fit most parties.

Have a personal code of conduct that you follow, whether it's something internalized or held by a group you're in.
Have that code not be limited by morality for those outside of the organization's interests.
Act accordingly.

Slaver? Brutal mercenary? Killer bound to a faithful leader? Indulger in atrocious recreation? Servant to an evil god? Someone masquerading as Lawful Good, and taking advantage of the appearance when others observe, but doing whatever's convenient when you can get away with it? There's a lot of variations.

So my goliath barbarian just hit 30 strength, what fun shit can I do with this?

Carry the party on your back, figuratively and literally.

How do I play artificer? the rules are somewhat short and vague about them. are they even good?
making my own shit and bombs does sound fun but I have no idea where to begin

>player character
>30 Strength
How and for what reason?

just passed 99k past 20.

This is awesome, thank you.

Unfortunately it's not like that, you make magical items like spell scrolls and potions. I bet there are good parts to it but whenever I read through if it's just disappointed. If you want to make bombs I bet there is homebrew you can go to.

Is the Circle of the Deathbloom homebrew WotC sanctioned? AL legal?

Are there other homebrews that are sanctioned?

No, it is not AL legal. It's not really sanctioned either, just shown off by Wizards so they don't have to put out as much UA stuff.

And oh boy, this Monday is another showcase UA, meaning no new 5e content for like six weeks.

I'm pretty sure they could "make" armors somehow at higher levels, dont have the pdf right now so can't check.But I was thinking grapping the alchemist-feat-or-whaterver it was for bombs.

but yes the part about them is disappointing

If I want to be a battlefield engineering type, a dude who makes things like grenades and traps and gadgets, what race or class would I want to be?

I was pretty disappointed with the UA Artificer too so I've started working on a homebrew myself. I'll be able to test it by having my players face it eventually.

Middle finger of vecna's alchemist or that one user's machinist could work

Bards seem too good. Is this just me? I feel like having magic, skills, and nonmagical combat ability when everyone else gets one or two is way too strong

got link to the machinist?

They're considered by many to be the best class in 5e.

They're not "too" good, but they are good at a lot of things.

Rock Gnomes are known to be tinkerers, rogues have fast hands which lets them use items on bonus action, Guild Artisan can have you take a tool proficiency such as tinkerer supplies. I guess that is the perfect class. Make sure whatever you pick it has a high intelligence. Not highest but high.

Conjuration Wizard

It's not that they are amazing at some things, it's just they are good at all the things. They can do melee, ranged, support, damage, probably even summoner if you really wanted to. Imagine a fighter has a 10/10 in melee, a ranger had 10/10, a Wizard has 10/10 in damage, and a cleric has 10/10 in healing.

Bards would be 5-7/10 in ALL of those aspects. They don't replace the class but they are strong.

I don't have it on my phone, but I'll post it when I get home

They are pretty much the best class in the game. They are not perfect but they are great at buffing, debuffing, utility, healing, and even have a few solid damaging combat spells. Combining that with the potential to be beefy and their solid access to any skills they want and half proficiency in all other skills make them a grand boon to any party.

>Epic Boon of Speed
>increase your base speed by 30 feet

>spellcasters have had a third of this epic boon since level 1
MARTIALS BTFO

Throw the biggest boulder you can lift at an enemy, for 1d4+10 damage

How would you go about making a homebrew of the Arcane Duelist from Dungeon World? It seems like a Battlemaster that adds magic to attacks instead of martial techniques, but I can see how it would work as a monk archetype.

also I want to tick off the DW proselytiser

Why cast this when you have access to much better spells? Like sleep, magic missile, shield, and so on.

>a Battlemaster that adds magic to attacks instead of martial techniques
eldritch knight

> A temporary third is as good as the full ability permanently
> Having +2 proficiency mod is as good as +6, honest!

The DW poster is Virt. He doesn't *actually* like Dungeon World, or any tabletops, because he doesn't play them. He just shitposts about them because he's the saddest sack of human shit on the planet.

>because he doesn't play them.
actually some user posted some hilarious stories about gaming with virt a while back.
i don't have them saved but they were pretty funny, true or not.

It doesn't cast spells distinct from weapon attacks. EK is cast or attack, and later cast + one attack. Arcane Duelist is more like Greenflame Blade/Booming Blade, but add-on effects to attacks instead of spells. 4e bladesinger had something similar in its attacks.

Standard rules:
>Carry capacity = 2*(15lbs*30) = 2*(450lbs) = 900lbs
>Push/Drag/Lift = 2*(900lbs) = 1,800 lbs
He can throw a 1,800lb boulder for 1d4+10 damage

Encumbrance Variant:
>Encumbrance Threshold = 150lbs
>Heavy Encumbrance Threshold = 300 lbs
He can throw a 150lb boulder for 1d4+10 damage

What are you bringing up proficiency for, pathetic little martiallet?

Why not ask the DM to use giant boulder rules?

Details?

>great boon

More often than not, at least with skills, it feels like stepping on toes.

You do realise that all classes use proficiency right? All casters spell save dc and spell attacks use proficiency.

Look at giants on the MM, one of their actions is grabbing a boulder and throwing it

Failing that, there are rulesfor improvising damage, a small rock would do 1d4+str, but a big rock would do 1 to 2 d10

What's your point? Casters and martials have the same proficiency progression.

How so? If you mean you feel like your stealing someone else's spotlight, you could always choose to assist them on the check instead of rolling one yourself.

Asking them to use common sense that a huge boulder will do more damage than a club.

But that's against the rules.

Building on this, hill Giants are Huge creatures and their boulders do 3d10 damage, damage for a medium-sized creature throwing a proportionately sized boulder would be 1d10 because of size rules

:^)

>the item disappears when you use this feature again
>the items disappears when it takes damage
>make 1 bomb
>throw it, thus it takes damage
>disappears, doing nothing

Don't be dumb

>potential to be beefy
A cleric with heavy armor or at least an extra ability to temporarily boost their defense can be beefy. Bards have D8 hit dice, plenty of ability scores vying for attention, no better than medium armor. Bards are stringy.

Damage is inherently flawed. There is no true quantifiable "damage" in reality. There is only a change in the state, composition, shape, etc of matter or energy. A fire does not damage wood, but rather exerts a chemical reaction and change in it.

Therefor, nothing is ever damaged, since damage as a concept is flawed. My bomb explodes perfectly fine, and my character shrugs off all attacks.

Longstrider can be cast on others. Hell, Longstrider can be cast on everybody.

30 strength barbarian should be able to life a huge sized boulder

So refluff the superiority dice. Or rejigger them slightly to account for elemental damage types.

Dude, stop trying to break the game with your bullshit rule-breaking.

what?
30 strength isn't even attainable by any means

R E A D
E
A
D

T H E
H
E

B O O K
O
O
K

From 20 and up I would allow a large, if you're a goliath barb with ovee 20 str or bear totem I would allow a huge one

Here. Probably overpowered, but Dungeon World doesn't care about balance either.

Notice how it mentions 21-30 attributes become /unlocked/ at Level 20, not are /magically acquired/?

Without using Tomes / Manuals to further supplement your scores, it would take approximately 19 more levels to reach a base attribute of 30.

>LG continuously associating with evil shitheads because they want to exploit the "I'm only responsible for MY OWN actions" loophole
>NG murdering law-abiding guards
What the fuck.
I wouldn't want either of those cunts on my team even if the rest of the party wasn't full of dickweasels.

No, just 99,000 more experience points.

R E A D
E
A
D

T H E
H
E

B O O K
O
O
K

N I G G E R
I
G
G
E
R

Bards never should have gotten an archetype that gives them two attacks.

99,000 more experience points is - quite literally - enough for /three/ Epic Boons.

What is (30-20)/2? I'll give a hint: Not 3.

Unless the rest of your campaign is full of similarly zany shit, only the worst DM would let Minor Conjuration summon functioning bombs.

A Barbarian only needs 3 Epic Boons to hit 30 STR.

Are you even capable of reading books?

Barbarian capstone.

Barbarian capstone boosts Strength (and Con) by 4, up to a max of 24.

>Matt Mercer sold a player a tome for 1350 gold
>then sold a player a level 4 scroll for 2000 gold

Being a Wizard is suffering.

I L L I T E R A T E
L
L O S ER
I
T O O H A R D T O R E A D
E
R E A D - Y O U C A N ' T
A
T
E

Aside from the epic boon rules you didn't know about a level 20 barbarian that read a manual of strength could still have 26 which is enough to justify about as much bullshit, and there's also that hammer/belt/gauntlet magic item combo that can give just about anyone 30 strength

How good is the Faster Combat book? Combat always takes a really long time in my sessions and I'd love to speed it along. Is it worth looking for?

>get keen mind
>be conjurer wizard
>ask to take a look at the scroll
>leave
>conjure scroll and copy at your leisure

>use passive initiative
>use monster and npc average damage

Just those two things almost halve the time combat takes

I just can't decide if I hate passive initiative or not

It works for me, though missing out on the iconic "roll initiative!" Is a bit of a bummer sometime

In theory you could just have the enemies always take ten, which would save some time, but I kind of like the extreme luck cases you can get when everyone is rolling

What do you guys think about the Counterspell system in 5e? It seems like it should be fine, but my DM says it leads to retarded situations and pretty much replaced it by readying dispel magic to do the same thing. Is this reasonable or is he kinda retarded?

sounds kinda retarded.

Leaning toward option B there

Not only because readying dispel magic takes an action while counterspell is just a reaction but because that's a blatant case of arbitrary bratty DMing

Personally I think there aren't nearly enough counterspell options in the game. Mage slayer should include a clause stating that if the attack hits the caster needs to make a concentration check or lose the spell

I don't think there's much wrong with it. Counterspell is just a reaction spell instead of however the fuck it worked in 3.5 (I vaguely remember it on par with grappling and turning undead), and someone could potentially counterspell your counterspell if they haven't used a reaction themselves, but that's about as crazy as it gets from what I remember

What was his problem specifically?

It's probably not so terrible that there aren't a lot of "anti-mage" options considering that there aren't a lot of mages in the monster manual

He is retarded. Remind him that NPCs can use it too if he gets in a huff.

That being said, I don't like how the person doing the counterspelling always loses the counter war (Wizard 1 casts a fireball, Wizard 2 casts counterspell, Wizard 1 casts counterspell on the counterspell, now neither of them can do anything else because they each just get one reaction). It favors non-players heavily (since players are the only ones that are going to live long enough to worry about using up all those slots) so I can kind of see why it exists. Just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't think you can cast a spell while casting a spell unless that spell is a cantrip by the spell casting rules.

You would be correct, if counterspell was an action or bonus action.

It is neither.

>What was his problem specifically?
He said he thought the whole counterspell system led to weird interactions (I presume he means counterspelling counterspells) so he said that if a PC or NPC wants to negate a spell, they have to ready their action. For instance, if a bard wants to counterspell an enemy wizard, he would on his turn declare "I ready dispell magic when the wizard starts casting" and negate the spell that way.

It hasn't been an issue in game, but he wants to rule on it before the situation comes up. For me at least, I didn't even think about counterspells in 5e, since Pathfinder's system was so convoluted I pretended that it didn't exist.

Counterspell is a 3rd-level spell that you can learn.

Considering 5e's limits on spells known or prepared and on spell slots, it's not a problem and your DM is dumb. An enemy spends a resource for X effect, you spend a resource to negate that, and he can spend a resource to negate that, and that's the end unless there's another counterspell-capable person in the group. It's also completely restrained by the action economy, so it doesn't get that far out of hand.

I think I either have too many players or just a couple powergamers. I feel like they're having too easy of a time and I worry that if I just throw more enemies at them they'll die too easily.

Here's the party:
Human Arcane Trickster Rogue
Human Swashbuckler Rogue
Dragonborn Draconic Sorcerer
Tiefling Circle of the Moon Druid
Half-Elf Tome Warlock
Human Beast Master Ranger

They're all level 5 now and will be 6 by the middle of next session and I'm running Curse of Strahd. I made the mistake of allowing Feats at level 4 and the only one who really took me up on that was the ranger who has sharpshooter. He's the power gamer, aiming for anything he can to grow more powerful which normally isn't a big deal but he seems to almost always hit both of those sharpshooter shots averaging nearly 40 damage a turn. Personally annoys me a bit because I was nice and gave him a slightly boosted HP wolf for RP's sake trying to fix the perceived weakness of the beastmaster archetype but now he doesn't ever even use his wolf because he's afraid of it dying.

What is a clever way to increase difficulty of combat that wont break the feeling of the setting in Curse of Strahd? They loved before when it felt more dangerous but it's seemed to lost it's edge. I'm a new DM so I don't wanna overdo it but I and my players want that fear that comes from dangerous combat.

Don't worry, I learned how the interaction worked after it was brought up (wouldn't want to just post about stuff I have no clue about). I honestly like the idea of using it as a way to force the enemy to burn resources to counter your counter. If anything, it'll drain the enemy's magical 'gas tank' faster and maybe give martials an opening when they run out of spells.

I'll talk to the DM about it.