Battletech General: Why Not Mackies? Edition

/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

Old Thread: →→ #

================================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-LCYlrfH_5o
drivethrurpg.com/product/138176/BattleTech-Record-Sheets-Vehicle-Annex-IndustrialMechs--Exoskeletons?term=Record Sheets: Vehicle Annex&cPath=4328_4541
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

IT'S THE RETURN OF THE MACK

JUST MACK MY SHIT UP

WOOP WOOP

DAT'S DE SOUND OF DE MACK

WOOP WOOP

HE IS ON DE ATTACK

A damn shame that the Mackie essentially died out because reasons. Any AU worth its salt should include the Mackie never going away.

youtube.com/watch?v=-LCYlrfH_5o

Sorry if this is a common question, but my friends and I are getting into Battletech, and while we read into the tanks, we found out that not all of them have heat sinks. It was mostly tanks that had autocannons and no energy weapons. Do tanks not gain heat from non-energy weapons?

I believe this is correct. Combat Vehicles only need enough heat sinks to cover the heat cost of any energy-based weapons they have.

Sort of. Vehicles don't track heat *at all* (they cannot gain or lose heat). You must mount a sufficient number of heat sinks to completely dissipate the heat generated by the tank's energy weapon complement. Heat generated by non-energy weapons is completely ignored.

I do not recall offhand for sure if a plasma rifle counts as an energy weapon for these purposes, but I'm like 99% sure it does.

>Do tanks not gain heat from non-energy weapons?
They do not. It's one of their few advantages over mechs. It's what let's stuff like missile carriers work

>but I'm like 99% sure it does.
Yeah, it's an energy weapon.

Thanks, guys. I'll tell my group when they show up.

Very random and obscure vehicle question, but for a vee with JJs, do you have to account for jump heat as well as weapon heat?
Also, you can mount regular JJs on a vee, but what about IJJs?

>do you have to account for jump heat as well as weapon heat?
No, you don't have to track it, since HS are not required.

>Also, you can mount regular JJs on a vee, but what about IJJs?
Vehicular jump jets are a specific type of standard Jump Jet. So... no. I shudder to think the motive table crit rolls with IJJ. They're abusive as is with regular ones.

Taurian company faggot from last thread here. I'm interested in Taurian hovertanks from late Civil War-early Jihad era that *aren't* the Plainsman (non-hover scout tanks are good too). I just don't know my combat vehicles, or I'd make use of the MUL.

Any knowledgeable anons able to give some recommendations?

The fulcrum springs immediately to mind

So hey. Does anyone actually have Record Sheets: Vehicle Annex Industrials/Exos etc.? I've been making a model for the Grommet for a 3039 campaign and I can't find the damned sheets anywhere. They aren't in the OP links either.

No, but you can if you have like three bucks and a DTRPG account:

drivethrurpg.com/product/138176/BattleTech-Record-Sheets-Vehicle-Annex-IndustrialMechs--Exoskeletons?term=Record Sheets: Vehicle Annex&cPath=4328_4541

Fuck it, I can wait two days. Just have no intention of ever using battlecorps again after the hell that was even trying to find it.

Does that fucking Mackie have LRMs on it?
Absolutely haram

Dude, that's the heat baffles on the upper arm. You want haram, try the one the Brits based on the original art.

Or Shimmy's missile artillery version.

I like Xarbala's myself, but I'm making my own refit package now that I fixed the Dremel again

That Mackie looks weirdly like the PP mechs. Same artist?

Alex blended the old MFUK/sourcebook art and the modern design pretty well, but a Mackie with a Lower Arm actuator on the left side isn't a Mackie as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, Chris Lewis strikes again. He's gotten better, but that's like saying getting hit with a board hurts less after the sixth or seventh time.

This is one of my own little side versions of the Mackie, although I probably did something stupid like leave the actuators in again.

This is the sketches I was working on earlier for the non Retro-tech Mack. Gonna do some more refining on them today.

Why a Citytech Orion arm, you ask? I got one in a parts lot for 40k and fuck it, it looks pretty close to a Mackie autocannon.

They have a line for the J. Edgar as well, it's pretty good. Maultier production later on but it's more of an APC. The MUL has them with the Gabriel, Saladin, Condor, Pegasus, Maxim, Blizzard, Harasser, and Regulator but that last is contingent on the Trinity Alliance.

Also I'd take the "all Heavies, all the time" line with a grain of salt. Having a line for a certain design doesn't mean it's being pumped out in huge numbers, or that they're deployed and surviving on a wide scale. Like, the Dracs have two Atlas factories and between them make five a year or so, but the Lyans have one Atlas factory and build more per year.

Lighter machines are always more common by the fluff for everyone. FM: P says that they have a lot of Mediums, followed by Lights and then Heavies which seems a fairly standard distribution for the era.

But, AU and if Lights and Mediums bore the shit out of you play what you want I guess. Just a thing to factor in.

The fact they don't have a phone number linked to that service- or postal address, from what I can tell- kinda says it all. I'm still waiting on stuff I ordered in 2014 and have no recourse because I used a debit card rather than a credit card to order so the money was taken straight away.

But yeah, Worktroll, I'll e-mail Randall again. Maybe this time someone can go down to the god damn warehouse and get me a copy of books that have been sitting on the shelf of my local game store for over two years.

Is this more, or less haram?

You complainin' about the Biggest Mack of them all?

Yes, because it objectively looks like shit instead of a buttplug with guns.

Oh my god that is adorably retarded

You can be a bro and upload it for us or you can see the stats on MegaMek

Are re-engineered lasers any good? We have a guy at the LGS who swears by them but I haven't really noticed anything highspeed about them in our games.

They were utter shite, but were improved via recent errata to moderate levels of usefulness. Definitely not pro-tier.

If your LGS guy thought they were amazing pre-errata I would assume he was kicked in the head by a mule when a child.

>If your LGS guy thought they were amazing pre-errata I would assume he was kicked in the head by a mule when a child.
Or Alex Knight

>If your LGS guy thought they were amazing pre-errata I would assume he was kicked in the head by a mule when a child.
Or Alex Knight

>Or Alex Knight

You repeat yourself, sir.

Nah, Alex was born that way, no mule required

>Any AU worth its salt should include the Mackie never going away.
Or at the very least coming back in large quantities

Literally who?

ohgodherewego.hpg

one of the most important guys in modern Battletech history, truly a piece of something

All you need to know in regards of this conversation is he's the guy who made RE lasers. More significantly, after everybody saw them and was underwhelmed, but figured it was another intentionally crappy piece of BT equipment because the devs love that shit, he started posting on the OF about they were totally awesome and everybody was wrong.

Have we heard any comment from after the errata? I wonder if he thinks somebody went and ruined his masterpiece.

>Have we heard any comment from after the errata? I wonder if he thinks somebody went and ruined his masterpiece.
Wait the RE laser got erratad?

Yeah, they get a -1 to hit now, IIRC.
Which improves them about to the point as mentions.

Less heat, a -1 to-hit Pulse modifier, and new BV for all of them.

He's one of the Battletech writers (was freelance, now isn't, I think) who had a lot to do with the development of re-lasers. He defended them to the death on the OF, to the point where even other Beemers were getting mad at his refutations that basically boiled down to "I on't care what math says, they're amazing can you can't tell me my own factual opinion." Beemers who publically disagreed with him were banned (both temporarily and permanently), as were users who brought math into the conversation. Posts and threads he didn't like were removed, showing only the post of people who supported him.

Essentially, the OF is a giant echo chamber for the Beemers (usually the yellow, red, and purple Beemers) and their friends, and disagreement is not allowed. Alex Knight is one of the biggest offenders of "turning the OF into an echo chamber", and IIRC his shitposting directly led to several of the best demo agents getting fed up with the entire company and leaving entirely, leaving them so short-handed at Gencon 2014 that they had to actually cancel events. He's not EVERYTHING that's wrong with the OF single-handedly, but he encapsulates the things that are wrong in one shitcovered, mule-kicked package.

Yep. They're now merely suboptimal and not utter trash.
Like, UAC/10-tier

Huh. What book are this strange man's lasers in? Sarna does not have an entry for them.

I've never seen any post that says he was responsible for making them, so I don't know where that comes from. And almost all the writers are freelance, so him being so doesn't mean anything because CGL doesn't have any pure staff writers (their devs do writing, but of course that on top of their main jobs). But yeah, he loves the lasers. I can't figure why, honestly. Bad math skills?

They're listed here:

sarna.net/wiki/Category:Energy_Weapons

If something's missing, it might be because the errata is falling under Sarna's delay clause (they can't put up wiki pages showing brand new stuff because they don't want to hurt sales; 90 day moratorium at a minimum, IIRC), and I don't know how errata effects the moratorium. Plus, after that expires, somebody has to actually go write about it *and* not have somebody edit the page after them.

>They have a line for the J. Edgar as well, it's pretty good. Maultier production later on but it's more of an APC. The MUL has them with the Gabriel, Saladin, Condor, Pegasus, Maxim, Blizzard, Harasser, and Regulator but that last is contingent on the Trinity Alliance.
Which of these are actually solid designs? I seriously know less than nothing about this area of BattleTech and am not sure I'm a good judge of which are good and which are VROOMVROOM.

>Also I'd take the "all Heavies, all the time" line with a grain of salt. Having a line for a certain design doesn't mean it's being pumped out in huge numbers, or that they're deployed and surviving on a wide scale. Like, the Dracs have two Atlas factories and between them make five a year or so, but the Lyans have one Atlas factory and build more per year.
>Lighter machines are always more common by the fluff for everyone. FM: P says that they have a lot of Mediums, followed by Lights and then Heavies which seems a fairly standard distribution for the era.
Ok, I think I see what you're saying. What about something like this:

Scout:
Toro
Locust
Locust
Phoenix Hawk

Striker:
Talos
Toro
Marshall
Griffin

Line/Command:
Warhammer
Centurion
Mackie
Archer-6W

Tank Lance
1st Maniple
2x LRM Carrier
2nd Maniple
2x Rommel
3rd Maniple
2x hovertank TBD

It seems to fit with acceptable and expected Periphery forces (4 Lights, 5 Meds, 2 Heavies, 1 Assault), it still is pretty Taurian (given faction specific designs and the presence of one of the beloved trinity they have), and it also seems appropriately Periphery (Archer-6W, one of the Locusts is a RL variant).

>But, AU and if Lights and Mediums bore the shit out of you play what you want I guess. Just a thing to factor in.
Nah, the AU I'm working on is still pretty reasonable. It has only minor allowances for stuff I personally like (see: Toro/Talos and the like). Combat doctrine remains basically as it is in canon.

Huh, expected something wackier.

>Having a line for a certain design doesn't mean it's being pumped out in huge numbers,
In principal, I agree, but TRO 3050 does explicitly call out the lines in question as producing a lot of mechs
Honestly, it's just that production not really corresponding with force composition and such is one of my pet annoyances with the canon universe and I'm just trying to get this guy to correct it for his AU, since he can do that

Hey, got a question for the older players here; I'm always hearing reference to how war of 39 and mercs supplemental 2 really retconned the tech development timeframe for a lot of stuff, but that merc supp 2 was also the first thing to give concrete reintro dates for all the star league tech stuff
So I'm wondering how you guys figured tech advancement stuff went before the canon numbers came out

>In principal, I agree, but TRO 3050 does explicitly call out the lines in question as producing a lot of mechs

>using debunked, old, retconned sources

Medron, please.

The Blood of Kerensky novels outright stated that DHS, ER Lasers, Gauss Rifles and LB cannons were voodoo magic as far as the IS was concerned as of 3050. The Dragoons handed out a lot of toys that same year, so... 3050 was the accepted intro date for a fair chunk of time for most gear.

hey deadborder, surprised it took you this long to show up

>Which of these are actually solid designs?
Saladin: Pure, classical assault gun - an AC/20 on a hover skirt. Hold it in reserve, then drive it at breakneck speed directly at something that needs removing. Remove it. Nicknamed the "Salad Shooter".

Gabriel:
It's a 13/20 ML. The Taurians also use a version with a pair of RLs-10 (or prototype RLs in the Succession Wars), which is cheap but one-shot. Only useful for skirmishing and spitting, but damned funny.

Harasser/Pegasus:
Both are basically a pair of turreted SRMs-6 on a fast chassis. The Pegasus can carry a squad of infantry and has a backup gun, while the Harasser is marginally faster and much cheaper. Neither can get a +4 TMM without flanking, however, which leaves them vulnerable to skids. Pegasus gets nasty 3050s upgrade as a scout.

J Edgar Hover:
ML and four SRM tubes/quad MGs (depending on variant). Best used for finding and eliminating infantry in advance of an armored column, but they can hold their own in a fight, and they're cheap.

Condor:
Basic tonk. Lasers, MG, AC/5. It's nothing spectacular but it's there.

Maxim:
Close fire-support heavy infantry vehicle. It's basically a heavy attack helo that never leaves the ground. It's designed to close rapidly, knock out any infantry or vees in the area with infernos and MGs, drop off three platoons of infantry, and then retreat to provide covering fire with LRMs. Variants basically drop the LRMs or SRMs for more of the other. It's great in an infantry-focused game but horribly vulnerable otherwise. It gets new legs when BA come out.

Blizzard:
Another heavy transport; sacrifices almost all fire capacity and armor for six squads of BA. Can win a game or be completely worthless.

Regulator:
Gauss rifle onna stick. A 10/14 stick.

>does explicitly call out the lines in question as producing a lot of mechs

A lot for the Periphery. Despite what Inner Sphere in Flames says, the Taurian factories are not all Hesperus II-level output. Context is a thing, user.

Canon-wise the factions shit out and lose a ton of Lights every year because they're so cheap to make but shit at fighting. Other 'Mechs are produced in lower numbers but either don't get gibbed as often (Mediums and Heavies) or aren't risked in combat until absolutely necessary (Assaults).

Now, you can change whatever paradigms you like for an AU but all that stuff has been long-standing and makes plenty of sense as is.

As said above, in the second Blood of Kerensky novel the House lords gathered on Outreach for a conference on the Clans and training to fight them. The Dragoons bootstrapped the IS with production data and technical assistance to build LosTech.

There's a scene where Clovis Holstein is explaining how Kai's newly re-customised Yen-Lo-Wang works where he uses small words to describe how XL Engines, TSM, Pulse Lasers, and Gauss Rifles work to Hanse Davion.

Which is fine at the time since the novels were the canon back then, but now you've got Hanse rolling that shit out across the FedCom in large numbers for the War of 3039, and he was probably in the labs every so often visiting Banzai as he rediscovered that tech like 20 years before the BoK novels were happening.

>Which is fine at the time since the novels were the canon back then, but now you've got Hanse rolling that shit out across the FedCom in large numbers for the War of 3039, and he was probably in the labs every so often visiting Banzai as he rediscovered that tech like 20 years before the BoK novels were happening.

Funny thing is, the IS not knowing how all of that worked is still technically "canon" and correct. Novels (unbiased, omniscient) always overrule sourcebooks (in-character, limited in viewpoint), and are the highest form of canon in the BT universe. They'd need to write new novels describing what happened instead to actually be able to retcon the BoK tech issues.

Assuming CGL actually plays by their own established rules, of course.

3039, the most recent official source for the unseen heavies that says anything at all about production (Combat Manual mercs talks about the locust, shad and whammy, but not production of such) calls the thunderbolt "the backbone of the taurian military" and specifically refers to the taurians as having two factories for it, which is equivocal. as for the warhammer, the taurians have "two small factories", but it's also noted that everyone is increasing production of warhammers continuously. not much is said about the archer, but it's common as dirt everywere and exactly how many the taurians are producing isn't gonna make a dent in that either way. as for the Marauder, it's said to be produced "prodigiously" across the inner sphere AND periphery, where the taurians are the only ones producing it as of 3039, so it would be reasonable to say that it's a common heavy there
also, oddly, no taurian factories are listed for the locust , but the factories in the MoC and OA are, suggesting that they produce the lion's share of periphery locusts, and NO periphery power is listed as a producer for the stinger or wasp, again suggesting that periphery production of those is rather less than in the IS. so likely the locust is the most common periphery bug, while the stinger is for the inner sphere

anyways, this is a pointless, circular argument, because giving hard numbers is always a terrible idea and none of you lot will ever agree with each other, because y'all like arguing too much

OOC sourcebook stuff (like the dates for tech recovery and how much of it was around) is the only thing that beats novels. Plus we have MUL intro dates for designs that have LosTech on them and pre-date the 3050s. Those are canon too.

So we're stuck with it. It's retarded and screws even further with the Clan Invasion plotline since Phelan studied the War of 3039 in detail at the Nagelring but was befuddled by the idea of XL Engines and DHS that were as old as he was and which saw extensive field use in the War of 3039. And you've got things like the Devastator being in production from 3044 on but Victor pilots a 4th Succession War relic and later comments to Galen Cox on how fucking awesome his field upgraded version of the Crusader is compared to the piece of shit SW version he was using until like a week ago.

What they should have done is say that the novels were holovid scripts (they did something similar with the Warrior trilogy, though those novels are canon etc there's a series in-universe detailing similar stuff and the Summerset Strikers thing) with an updated, OOC-correct timeline on when various things happened and what bits of the novels are still basically factually true, like the Clovis scene being there for viewers/readers in character who didn't know about LosTech but the battle with Phelan and Vlad going down as written minus him being OMG Double Heat Sinks, what the literal fuck?

That would be a clusterfuck of epic proportions in and of itself and then you'd have people starting clarification threads every five seconds. But they bought it on themselves by tinkering with the plotline in the first place, so I give no fucks about that.

>Gauss Rifles

How did they build the Devastator then?

TR 3039 has an in-character publication date of 3073.

It also omits several major factories for the Unseen that are mentioned elsewhere. The Marauder is built at GM's Kathil HQ and at Quentin, FFS, that's all over old material.

Your arguments rely on ignoring what the sources say for the most part and twisting what remains to fit what you want.

With AC/10s, as the DVS-1D. Or if you mean going by the original 3058 fluff, where there is no DVS-1D, then I'll point you to FASA's amazing track record with fluff accuracy.

MUL and TR 3058U have the GR version going into full production and wide-spread deployment in 3048.

Unless you were being facetious, IDK.

>It also omits several major factories for the Unseen that are mentioned elsewhere. The Marauder is built at GM's Kathil HQ and at Quentin, FFS, that's all over old material.
Yes, I agree, but I was making a guessed assumption that not mentioned= less important, not non-existant. I just didn't mention those ones cause periphery factories were what yall were arguing over. I don't have a dog in this fight, I main dracs and once upon a time smoke jaguars. I just had my copy of 3039 open and decided to try and settle your damn argument so you all can stop shitting up the thread with this pointless OF-tier back and forth
Fucks sakes

Are you retarded? Genuinely? The original fluff in 1990 for the Clan Invasion had Gauss Rifles and other things as a completely new technology that the Dragoons handed out like candy to fight the Clan threat. Five years later, the original fluff for the Devastator said that the NAIS made a prototype of it in 3033, presumably without GRs. Then in 2005, War of 3039 was released, which fucked up the tech proliferation, and 3058U ran with it in 2006. Am I moving too fast this time?

>I main dracs
Well now that makes more sense. Your used to fielding fucktons of the same design and having a few giant factories so you assume that every other faction would too

3058 original has the regular GR devastator in production for "ten years" as of 3058, buddy. FASA just plain couldn't keep their shit straight

>Yes, I agree, but I was making a guessed assumption that not mentioned= less important, not non-existant.

So your argument is that the primary factory of the people who invented the design is less important or produces less than a Taurian factory?

Not to mention that, logically, if the Periphery factory was bigger and better that would either be said outright or someone would capture it/blow it up for that very reason?

I already pointed that out here:
>I'll point you to FASA's amazing track record with fluff accuracy.

Oops, missed that

>So your argument is that the primary factory of the people who invented the design is less important or produces less than a Taurian factory?
I was only talking about bugs in the first place, and about the periphery states in relation to one another. Jesus, why are you so fucking worked up about this shit?

stop feeding the troll

>Jesus, why are you so fucking worked up about this shit?

BECAUSE YOUR WRONG

Fucks sakes boys, let's get back to battletech.
What's the most memorable AtB moment you've had in your current campaign? Alternately, what's the most BATTLETECH moment you've had in a recent game?

>I was only talking about bugs in the first place,

>3039, the most recent official source for the unseen heavies that says anything at all about production

Nigga wat.

We've all been wrong on the internet before. It's OK, your dick won't fall off or anything and now you know for next time.

Secret bonus answer: Because a lot of Taurian fans actually do insist that their factories for heavies out-produce the largest production sites in the Inner Sphere because reasons, and there's no way to know whether you're one of those or not because we're all anonymous here.

Pretty much pic related to both. It was the rise of Atleast Itsnot, and set the tone for that entire mission. He never hit a thing. Only mission he ever had before the game stopped running he didn't get at least one kill.

Showed up late at a game and was given that Targe variant as punishment. Actually did crit out the leg ammo when the MASC failed.

Fortunately we were playing with the AoE ammo explosion rules so at least I got to take a Hunchback IIC with me.

I only mentioned the factory importance thing when I was talking about bugs, and I was only thinking about bugs when I said it. I can see how I fucked up, though. Looks like it's time to sleep
>Because a lot of Taurian fans actually do insist that their factories for heavies out-produce the largest production sites in the Inner Sphere because reasons,
I've never actually seen that claimed here AFAICT, it seems to be only medron pryde who does it, and only on the OF

>Showed up late at a game and was given that Targe variant as punishment
ouch.
I've used punishment mechs before, but only for showing up with a cheesy custon (you get the thing's BV in shad-2Ds and locust-1Ms)
>Fortunately we were playing with the AoE ammo explosion rules so at least I got to take a Hunchback IIC with me.
seems like a good trade for a targe

I had the same crusader fall victim to ammo explosions three games in a row all, without firing a shot in any of them

>seems like a good trade for a targe

There are venereal diseases I'd rather have than a Targe.

At least you get to have some fun before getting to the bad bit then.

In the Dark Age, how much of a nations mech forces are composed of relatively new designs and how much of them are things left over from the 3080s, 70s and earlier that have been upgraded?

I figured in the case of the Capellans, a lot of their mech forces would be new designs given they had to rebuild their military extensively.

>Alternately, what's the most BATTLETECH moment you've had in a recent game?

Recently? I ran a scenario for 15 players involving 5 separate, interlinked tables (each player runs their own trinary and bid against other players for the right to play their trinary in the mission; whole thing is tracked via Warchest), each of which affected at least one other table. Over all the tables was a low-altitude map for ASFs.

>pic related

So, as it happened, I ended up playing the PC role for Table 3: Power Generators, with a bid of 6 Mech and 1 ASF point against the OPFOR medium Mech company and two lances of heavy tanks. However, the OPFOR player's tanks were really good at AAA work (Fury tanks, IIRC, with Anti-air quirks in play), so I made one pass, blew up an Archer and strafed a lance of mediums inexplicably lined up along a street, and buggered off to high-altitude holding pattern before he could get his air-defense grid really set up.

It is the ASFs which take the center stage in this tale of tragicomedy.

>1/2

Hell, you get the clap all you have to do is take pills for a couple weeks and not fuck. I can handle that it's called marriage to a woman with mennorhea

What's the most memorable AtB moment you've had in your current campaign?
Getting a pursuit mission with eleven fucking Panthers, a pack of Salad Shooters, and some other shit against one lance of heavies.

>Alternately, what's the most BATTLETECH moment you've had in a recent game?
Teaching a pair of newbies to play, one of them runs his Enforcer right up next to his opponent's hunchback. The Hunchback mauls the enforcer, but it stays standing. The enforcer then wiffs with everything but the Slas.

Pic related. That poor Hunchback.

>2/2

Since all the tables were connected via low-altitude map, the players on Table 1: Diversionary Raid (who bid VERY low and were in serious trouble) requested assistance and took the (significant) Warchest/Honor hit for being aided from outside their bid. I winged my Visigoths over to their board where the OPFOR was sitting in a MechBrick and laying down Gauss fire like it was going out of style. I dropped ordnance on the formation, split-S'd, and lined up a strafe on a quartet of Schreks sitting in two adjacent hexes. Unfortunately, the OPFOR CO decided to shoot at one of my Visigoths, and landed some hits. My 3/3 pilot failed the control roll, nosed over, and crashed. Rolling out the crash location, he ended up plowing into...the OPFOR CO. Who promptly snake-eye'd the "save" to avoid getting hit by the ASF. A Velocity 6 ASF which rolls a 10 deals 600 damage in groups of 10. The first THREE groups all went to the CO's head.

BUT WAIT. The wreck ALSO displaces one hex after getting hit by the ASF. Which displaced off a level 4 hill, onto another OPFOR unit, which when it was struck by the accidental DFA, was displaced into a Marauder, which itself was displaced into an adjacent building. The building had a basement, and so when the MAD fell into it, it took a TAC which detonated the AC/5 ammo in the torso.

The ASF pilot ejected safely, and landed in a hex containing "friendly" (other Clan) units.

>The ASF pilot ejected safely, and landed in a hex containing "friendly" (other Clan) units.

"And that, sibbies, is why I was nominated for my Bloodname and what I am here to teach you today."

Snow Raven/10.

Mind if I use this, or something similar, for one of my own games? I've got a chunk of players I haven't been able to properly teach "Electronics are useful for more than TAG."

Are there any good maps/scenarios intended for a three-way Battletech game? I'm trying to get some friends into the game, and I figure they'd be most likely to try it if we could just have a crazy free-for-all battle. Is this a completely stupid idea?

I'm not sure if that's BATTLETECH, or the very first known instance of AEROTECH

Oh, the Active Probe stuff interacting with mission objectives? Go for it - the more people who realize that you can play BattleTech in other ways besides "line up on two mapsheets and shoot at each other until one set of dudes is dead", the better-off we all are.

Just don't let your players start playing the game with the intent to achieve objectives rather than "shoot things" and then let them go to conventions. People will get upset - really upset - if other players actually play to achieve the objectives in a logical, organized manner.

Sorry mate, but Jade Falcon.

>I know, I know...worst Clan

Having a Falcon pilot pull a Snow Raven/10 maneuver is high praise, though.

Did you not see the multiple displacements, accidental DFA, and falling into a basement causing an ammo explosion?

Well I've got my core group who I've beaten it into, but I have always struggled with proper "objectives" that don't feel forced. Possibly because I treat objectives as something organic. See that strongpoint? It's got C3 codes for the turrets in the area. Go get em champ. And so on.

Hey, for what it's worth, I'm also a Falconfag and I approve.

Three-ways are difficult because you pretty much always get 1 v 2 in effect.

You might be better off to do something like a game where you run a Lance against them and they have two 'Mechs each or the like rather than a three-way free-for-all.