TG required viewing

I've watched a ton of movies with my daughter (12yo) and she is nerding along just fine. But what might be a list of a half dozen or so movies that you guys might consider essential viewing from a tg perspective?

Trying to decide what to watch tonight and I'm wondering if I missed something we should have watched together.

Other urls found in this thread:

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/06/24/triggers-little-witch-academia-makes-the-leap-to-tv-anime-series
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

for a twelve year old:
>Princess Mononoke
>Naussica of the Valley of the Wind
>really any fucking Miyazaki/Ghibli film
>Labyrinth
>Time Bandits
>first two Harry Potter movies for dat whimsy and wonder

cant think of anythign else at the moment. It's adorable you're sharing common interests with your daughter tho. Good job amigo.

>suggesting howl's moving castle, panyoshit, or really any other miyazaki movie besides mononoke and naussica to a 12 year old

Howl's Moving Castle is good.

Spirited Away is good.

Porco Roso is good.

Totoro is good.

Kiki's Delivery is good.

Castle in the Sky is good.

Arrietty is good.

Ponyo is dumb

Ghibli has a fairly good track record.

>required watching for all fathers and their offspring.

dat movie was dumb fampachi

I like A Knight's Tale. Maybe not a strictly great movie, but a good example of how you can have something slightly anachronistic, comedic and entertaining also be played straight.

>implying porco rosso isn't fucking gr8 for all ages

howl's is shit
spirited away is shit
porco roso is so old you can't even consider it relevant
totoro i like only because of nostalgia
castle in the sky is only good on the first watch
arrietty is shit

ghibli is overrated

your entitled to your opinions no matter how wrong they are.

>doesn't have a father

Ha look at this faggot! everyone point and laugh!

>Spirited Away is shit

I will actually fight you.

I'd suggest the old Harryhausen/Charles Schneer Sinbad movies! Good wholesome fun, plenty of action, fantastic imagery and high adventure in strange lands with skeletons, cyclopses, troglodytes and more. 7th Voyage is my personal favourite, but they're all good in their own way (Golden Voyage and Eye of the Tiger are the other two movies) and Harryhausen's special effects are just a treat to watch, as dated as they might appear today. There's also Jason and the Argonauts, too.

I might as well not. The dude beat the shit out of me when I was younger. I haven't seen him outside of court since I was sixteen. He only now started paying his child support, and I'm fucking twenty three.

try me

LWA and the enchanted parade are good ones you can find LWA on youtube if you don't want to bother with torrent or hunting for a stream

>porco roso is so old you can't even consider it relevant
ghibli is definitely overrated, but not because the movies are shit

Can I have your daughter's number?

My absolute African brother, those movies are just pure and good.

And I thought /a/ was that way

yeah their great! im so happy their going to do a series soon! I was always afraid they were just going to let it sit and collect dust.

Even his weakest films have at least one great character, a fair amount of scenes dripping with emotion, and some of the best animation you'll ever see.

>best animation you'll ever see
yeah sure bub
>scenes dripping with emotion
completely and utterly subjective
>one greater character
name one from ponyo

>their going to do a series soon

U WOT M8

I DIDN'T HEAR ABOUT THIS

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/06/24/triggers-little-witch-academia-makes-the-leap-to-tv-anime-series

yeah they announced it at the end of space patrol luluco. believe in the magic my friend

Dude you made me and my gf's week, I never knew about this!

Excalibur
Goemon
The Thing
Big Trouble In Little China

>gf
>>/out/

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I can't help it, user

OP has a kid damn it, that means he has sex

Good picks, I think we have watched all of those.

Not sure if we have watched Kiki's...have to check

What is that about?

I'll look in to those. Not sure if she will enjoy them or not. Might be too dated.

She enjoyed that one a lot.

The odds of my letting her have her own number in this age is pretty low. She gets a loaner cell when she needs one.

And fuck off with your wannabe edgy shit.

Good to hear it

We are actually watching the Battle star Galactica mini series right now (first one tonight). I really enjoyed that series when it was out and wanted her to at least see the mini series for reference.

ok look OP first you show her Stargate, then you wean her on to SG1, then show her Atlantis. universe is at your discretion.

Good suggestions!

>What is that about?
its a touching story about a son reconciling with his dieng father and learning that their may be some truth to all the tall tails he tells. I cry like a bitch every time.

The Stargate movie was great, but the TV shows were among the worst things ever. I'm pretty sure they're worse than ISIS and the Armenian Genocide, and just slightly better than the burning of the Library of Alexandria.

My parents showed me Spirited Away at the age of like 6. Also Ponyo was a cute movie.

Lisa was a great character.

And, I'm not sure if you really appreciate just how good the animation is.

Firefly/Serenity

Required watching for everyone, you mean.

Stargate is solid, by the books action movie with a cool Egypt aesthetic. Rewatched it yesterday, still like it.

Golden Voyage of Sinbad is pretty awesome.

>Serenity

It's not bad, but the only genuinely good thing about it is it's more Firefly with a higher budget. I'd rank it below just about every episode in the series.

>itt: dumb contrarians hate everything because enjoying yourself is uncool

When I was young, I loved the first D&D movie that I got on VHS.

D&D is good if you like awful, cheesy movies (I do). Jeremy Iron's scenery chewing is some of the most over the top ever.

I'm going to add the movie to the list, she may see references to the series around so that will give her a starting point. But I don't think I want to spend enough time to do the series.

We are going to watch that.

I think that is a good choice. Lots of things feed from that movie.

I'm really sorry about that user. Mine was absent as well. Which is just one reason why I'm focused on my own kid and being there.

The reality is that children are the best thing in the world. It isn't just the child that misses out when the parent isn't fully engaged.

the animation really is just ok for a AAA animation studio's budget. go watch a makoto shinkai film or a kyoani film or a gainax film for some grade A animation

if she can handle the cursing, violence and other fun things john wick might be good for Shadowrun vibe

If the little ca/tg/irl has the patience for a 4-hour movie, then Lawrence of Arabia is a must.

Probably one of the best adventures ever committed to film. Plus there's no nudity or foul language.

Since no one mentioned it yet, Stardust.

Its the closest a movie has come to capturing the magic of the princess bride, I suspect no one will ever surpass the glory that is that movie.

The most Veeky Forums girl I ever dated was a big fan of ladyhawke and willow growing up. I'm not personally a fan of either of those, but w/e.

Oh come now user. Even The Phantom Menace has one great character, a fair amount of scenes dripping with emotion, and some of the best animation you'll ever see.

None of that qualifies it as a good movie.

>12 years old
>showing them John Wick
Just shoot my school up, senpai.

look at the bright side, your kid will be a sick badass.

Some other more innocent movies that are pretty decent, both have an odd animation style.
The Secret of Kells
Song of the Sea(super cute movie)

>a fair amount of scenes dripping with emotion

Name one.
Other than general nausea and disgust.

I just don't see anything especially redeeming in that movie beyond some good action scenes.

She really liked Stardust.

Seconding these.
Also some Kurosawa. Maybe Seven Samurai or Yojimbo.
Casablanca or Maltese Falcon.
BBC miniseries of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is very good.
Blackadder.
And give her some Diana Wynne Jones to read.

>no mention of Conan the Barbarian
Seeing that in middle school is probably what made me Veeky Forums.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to wade through all of the terrible media out there to find something suitable for your little girl that is actually decent.

Good on you for caring about your kids, I wish more parents cared this much.

>beyond some good action scenes.

goanna be honest with ya that's pretty much it. that and Keanu being a huge badass. in truth its not really kid material incase it wasn't really obvious but I liked the movie enough to suggest it for dad maybe for her a few years later...maybe

>some of the best animation you'll ever see
I vehemently disagree.

Oh shit, you have good taste.
OP, Kurosawa put out in the 90's his dreams series of short films not all of them are kid friendly(pretty dark at times) but the village of the watermills, sunshine through the rain, and the peach orchard are pretty amazing.

It was what Max Payne should have been

Contrarianism is dumb user.

The graphic sex might not be a plus, but yeah, it's one the best fantasy movies out there.

as long as were on some anime. millennium actress, paprika and Tokyo godfathers are some of the best out there. with Tokyo godfathers being a particerly heartwarming and funnyperhaps not entirely tg related but millennium actress and paprika blend the fantasy and reality aspects quite well and make it a treat to watch

Yep

yes

100% Absolutely Recommended

How has this thread gone so long without mention of the original Starwars trilogy? The first three Pirates of the Caribbean are solid too. Feel free to skip the forth.

I figured they were just givens, that's why no one mentioned them.

The sex wasn't particularly graphic. I'm pretty sure there's no dong involved. Just tits, and that's nothing a girl won't be familiar with.

Well user, basically we're assuming OP has a shred of human decency and hasn't been so neglectful as to allow his daughter to reach the age of 12 withoust seeing Star Wars, Indiana Jones and other such staples of modern culture.

This movie is fucking perfect up until B.E.N shows up. I get he's fucking crazy from solitude and literally missing part of his brain but had he been less obnoxious this would have been a 10/10 film.

Nobody's mentioned Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit either.

These things go without saying.

Makoto Shinkai I can grant you, but while Kyoani and Gainax are fantastic in terms of spectacle and for a "better than real" style, Ghibli goes for a more natural "more real than real" style that's subtle, but amazing when you take the time to look at it and see all the subtle motions in even casual scenes.

While Ghibli's recent works have been disappointments, they're still amazing examples of animation, even if they're not particularly efficient.

Speaking of that...

Not remotely Veeky Forums, but The Addam's Family; Toy Story, but space it out like we got it as kids, for the impact; The Hogfather; the old Disney films;

What did she particularly like so far?

This, really. Arnold never once swings pipe in that movie. There are a couple scenes with some oily thrusting which I guess is a little graphic.

Most of the nudity is just titties. And no girl should be afraid of seeing those.

Overall it's a great fantasy movie and honestly one of my favorite films of all time.

I think it's pretty much a given she's seen Star Wars, especially since her dad browses Veeky Forums.

I would never call Star Wars a "must see" for the Veeky Forums crowd. I'd call it a must see for anyone who wants even the barest knowledge of modern pop culture.

hey look I madea bridge, it took me only 10 seconds, 11 tops.

You can never be certain. I've encountered a surprising quantity of people in my short time 24 years who haven't seen them.
Anyways adding to the list the Dark Crystal and Flight of Dragons.

With that, I would have... white wine.

Does anyone have the screencap of the kid who watched treasure planet and started taping silverware to his arms?

Honestly, I don't get too vexed when I encounter people who haven't seen Star Wars. Especially girls. Depending on your social circles growing up, it's quite possible you were never conditioned into being interested in that sort of thing.

What bugs me though is when I meet people who haven't seen Star Wars but adamantly refuse to watch it. It's like meeting someone who you can't bother into at least picking up the first Harry Potter book.

I'll get you some cartoon and cartoon movies your kid might like

Batman: The Mask of Phantasm
Batman and Superman: Public Enemy
Batman Superman: Apocalypse
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Avengers-Earth's mightiest Heroes
The Batman (2004)
Batman Year One
Batman Beyond
Star Wars the Clone Wars
Star Wars Rebels
Teen Titans
The New Batman Adventures

plenty of good cartoons for your child to love getting into the more /co/ side of things

>Batman: The Mask of Phantasm
This.

As for the rest, into the trash you go /co/mmie.

>the /co/ side of things
All but one of those are literally batman or one step from batman.

That said, Brave and the Bold is good, and I grew up on Beyond and Zeta, but no-one remembers that one.

Chronicles of Riddick.

Made by a fa/tg/uy for fa/tg/uys.

There is a disturbing lack of Titan A.E. (great sci-fi) and Treasure Planet (high seas in space) on this thread. I'd also recommend The Mummy (classic turn-of-the-century action/adventure). I'll second A Knight's Tale. Also, Independence Day is fun, has a cool take on the aliens, and has a happy ending.

If you're looking for stuff off of the beaten path, I'd recommend Ever After: A Cinderella Story. It's a fresh and delightfully cheesy '90s take on the story. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is also really underrated. It's one of my favorite non-Monty Python Terry Gilliam movies.

I remember user...I remember...

While we're on the subject, what is Veeky Forums's opinion of Leverage, particularly as an example of a Shadowrun group?

The Rescuers and more importantly the Rescuers Down Under (the only acceptable Disney sequel).

Well, most of the movies I'd recommend have already been covered. But as far as shows go, you might give Dofus and Wakfu a shot.

I was half-convinced I had thought up Zeta in a dream or some shit because I couldn't find anyone else who knew the character.

Took re-watching Batman Beyond last year to convince myself I wasn't nuts.

Aw shit I almost forgot the Black Cauldron.

Good list, my daughter is fucking nuts over Batman.

I don't know why. But better Batman than My Little Fucking Pony.

Conan

Maybe wait a couple years, but "The Ninth Gate" is pretty great.

>The Black Cauldron is Disney but a bit spoopy. She may be a bit too old for it.
>The Secret of NIMH
>The Secret of Kells (Story is a bit childish but THIS MOVIE IS FUCKING BEAUTIFUL)
>Aardman's The Pirates!
>Titan AE
>Memories, kind of an anime version of Disney's Fantasia
>Hellboy, especially Hellboy 2
>The Lord of the Rings, Obviously

I was going to say a lot of Ghibli but other anons already covered that...

Also, disclaimer. I don't know how protective you are of your kid, so you might think Memories and the first Hellboy are a bit too adult.