Average bum leader who isn't the chosen one

>average bum leader who isn't the chosen one
>dumb wizard who put all their points in the shittiest school
>goddess with good rolls spent all her trait points on shitty charisma
>paladin who maxed Constitution and fell for the dump stat meme with Dex and thinks they're a wow tank

Just like my DnD parties

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrappedInAnotherWorld
youtube.com/watch?v=LyKI1CHPMNw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've been meaning to watch this, is it worth it?

Well heavy armor types don't need dex for too much in 5th ed at least
It was fun

It's pretty funny. Basically making fun of the whole SAO fad.

Its not ANIME OF DUH YEAR material but it is a pretty fun watch.

It is also legitimately funny.

It's up there but you still catch the DEEN QUALITY occasionally

>making fun of SAO
No. Konosuba makes fun of the isekai subgenre. SAO isn't an isekai show.

>>dumb wizard who put all their points in the shittiest school
Evocation is better than Necromancy if you ask me.. You not only get area damage 9which, surprise, is actually very nice to have), but a lot of battlefield control and some other useful stuff. Necromancy only gets you debuffs that are often too situational, plus creating undead which is like Leadership but destroys your social ability and gets you killed for being evil.

As both a meme anime as well as a funny show, I would say its worth a watch.

Shit jokes that get old after the first episode

>implying
necromancy also has save or die as well as healing/res spells. in addition bestow curse is necromancy, and that spell is seriously one of the best in the game.
thats a giant chunk better by itself then evocation.
also when you create undead, you can choose the type of undead, which is a very big thing, you want some really powerful humanoid types that are intelligent but still under your control rather then undead hordes which will get your ass burned at the stake.
finally necromancers have the highest chances of getting immortality, which is a huge benefit for wizards.

half the jokes aren't even in the first episode though

I havn't watched this, but that explody witch who gets posted a lot is pretty cute. Is she actually in the show a lot?

Fucking name your editions faggots

Yes.

Chuuni Witch is best girl

How do you be chuu2 when you actually have powers though?

By chuuning more.

Like she does MY EYEPATCH IS SEALING SOME ANCIENT EVIL thing but it's just a fucking eyepatch.

that she doesn't even need

It's easy to miss, but there are parts in the series where she straight up just forgets to fucking wear it and whenever I catch it, it makes the joke like 500x better.

Seriously, this anime is a gem.
I'm so happy it's getting a 2nd season.

If you keep in mind that it's basically a parody of JRPG tropes and "main character transported into another world and becomes a hero" anime it's a blast.

If you're expecting anything other than that then you're gonna have a bad time. And you're also retarded.

oh wow. Wrong thread.

Megumin finds a way.

I'd cast explosion inside Megumin if you know what I mean

>it's another KonoSuba thread
I mean, yeah, it's a good anime, but can you please stop spamming it everywhere you go?

>SAO isn't an isekai show.
I'd say the Aincrad arc at least is.

>tfw isekai genre was long predated by Heinlein

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe predates it by five years.

Eh, I was talking more about "now we gotta survive!" instead of "you are the chosen one!" kind of deal.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland came out in 1865.

The Blazing World came out in 1666.

Aqua has amazing stats and spells despite her frivolous choice of low level spells, though.

She's just a moron.

I'd watch a giant toad eat her, If you know what I mean.

>The Blazing World came out in 1666.
It even has the chosen one mary sue self-insert!

>Aqua has amazing stats
She actually has a below average Int.

Because, well, like you said, she's a moron.

>you're gonna have a bad time

/UTG/ GET OUT REEEEEEE

>>dumb wizard who put all their points in the shittiest school
Her spells are actually insanely powerful, the problem is she dumped stamina so she can only cast once

You are aware of the fact that the only reason he says it in Undertale was because it was already a meme, right?

I wasn't. Oh crap.

croak

It's true in 5th, it sure as shit is true in 3rd, 4th doesn't have schools matter too tough IIRC, and OSR is Calvinball.

Well this guy
>necromancy [has] healing/res spells
seems to be pointing away from D&D entirely

>You not only get area damage (which, surprise, is actually very nice to have)... Necromancy only gets you debuffs that are often too situational
"I scream, and everything within 40 feet of me dies." Yeah, I guess that is pretty damn situational... you can only really use it when you want things to die, which almost never happens.

Actually, it's only one spell that she uses (Explosion), and she can only use it once because it's the cap for its tree. She could cast lower level spells all day if she wasn't so obsessed with only ever casting Explosion.

>need

Im still waiting for the scene where it's on the other eye

He could be referring to temp HP or the handful of life sucking things, but I'd probably assume he was just including everything in the necromancy school and not the actual wizard list (though depending on the edition cure/wound spells are sometimes conjuration)

Doesn't help a lot of stuff nulls her water magic like those frogs

>isekai
wat is?

Genre about MC getting dropped into another world, often but not necessarily with some reincarnation shenanigans and some sort of a cheat power.

oh, cool. any particular easy way to look for this stuff, like just dropping "isekai" into google, or is there a more specific/better term to search for?

There's also an official spinoff to Konosuba, which just focuses on Megumin's backstory.

I have it.[spoiler/]

To be fair, the best isekai plots usually feature the protagonist having no idea where he is, what to do and no cheap powers whatsoever.
Hell, in the very best isekai plots, the isekai guy isn't even the main protagonist.

Don't think so.

Check around your favourite mango/LN sites for "reincarnation" plots.

tvtropes has an autismally compiled list tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrappedInAnotherWorld

Those seemed to dive into "oh look we're SUFFERRING" plot instead.

>the isekai guy isn't even the main protagonist.
Huh. Got any examples?

tvtropes is nothing but autismally compiled lists for literally everything.

>tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrappedInAnotherWorld

At last, a use for autism! Thank you user, been looking for more of this isekai stuff since binging the Overlord animu a while back.

It's got one of the most interesting man/woman dynamics I've seen in anime in fucking forever, and I feel like it's worth watching just for that.

The show is basically about a bunch of terrible people who have terrible things happen to them, and it's amazing for it.

The fucking half hearted as shit main character who always makes poor decisions about his life but refuses to do shit about it and the female lead who you should feel incredibly sympathetic for given how badly she's been fucked but you don't because she's a horrible person is just great.

>Its not ANIME OF DUH YEAR material but it is a pretty fun watch.
It is, it unironically is. While it has competition from a lot of other good anime, nothing really blows it out of the water.

Then again, there's still 6 months of the year left.

Thing about Aqua's choice in spells though is that they make perfect sense for the job she was doing before she got dumped into a new world.

She was a celestial office worker, after all. A bunch of parlor trick spells likely had some use there for office parties, after all.

someone who wasn't a moron would know to adapt, especially after the first time she got eaten by a frog

What, like Always Sunny terrible?

Not even close. It's not even close to being as funny either, but it's very amusing nonetheless.

Think the average fa/tg/uy, drama queen, chuuni kid and magical realm slut

Nah, just average asshole-tier.
Still fucking worth it.
Also, one of the females is a masochist, which is bretty fresh imo.

>someone who wasn't a moron would know to adapt
We're talking about Aqua here

Sure, but that comes back to how Aqua doesn't fucking deserve any of the shit she's getting.

Like, in terms of sympathy, she really deserves the most of it. She was just a girl doing a job, after all, and we really have no reason to believe she was bad at it. Then she gets sucked into a quest she has no business being on with a guy who's clearly incapable of finishing it, and it's easy to sympathize with her.

Besides, of course, how much of a terrible person she is. Hell, you can even really lay the blame for the whole thing happening on her own head, especially given that she's very likely lying about his death(When you really think about it, how many people are going to laugh about someone screaming something and then having a heart attack? Even if the people who saw it did, I doubt very much the doctors or his family would be doing so. And given what we find out about Aqua, the idea that she made the whole thing up is well within the realm of possibility).

And that's what's great about her. She combines easily the most sympathetic situation with a person who's totally undeserving of any sympathy. If she was at all a decent person, what's happening to her would be a tragedy.

I've heard people make the comparison. I loved the MC because he's got this attachment to being a hero, but he's absolutely unwilling to do anything that would actually help him become one. If he'd stop and consider his situation, he could have made decisions that would have let him life a pretty happy life in the new world. Like at the start, when he's told he'd make a great merchant, but chooses to be an adventurer instead, and then does nothing to become a better adventurer. He's firmly attached to this dream of being a hero, but unwilling to actually do the work involved.

Yeah, which is why I'm saying she definitely picked party tricks because she's a moron, not because they would have been useful in her cushy potato-chip-eating gig

To be fair, he does come to genuinely like his teammates despite their massive character flaws, and there's that very important and character-defining moment where Megumin reluctantly asks him to allocate her stats so she can be less useless and he goes and dumps them all into EXPLOSION instead because he knows that's what makes her happy.

I also love the relationship that they have with each other, and how fucked it is.

The absolute lack of sexual tension between the two is amazing as shit for anime, especially given how close they live with each other. I mean, we're talking about an anime that shows them sleeping together, and actually avoids the low hanging fruit of embarrassed nudity or stupid misunderstandings between them. It's refreshing as shit, and makes the show.

I think the best part is that for all of her assholishness and grief she inflicts on him, he's arguably worse to her. Not in any active way, like she is to him, but that shit with the lake was straight up monstrous, and he doesn't seem to have any guilt at all about it. I enjoyed the fact that he might not show it, but he's every bit as much of a piece of shit as she is.

>and there's that very important and character-defining moment where Megumin reluctantly asks him to allocate her stats so she can be less useless and he goes and dumps them all into EXPLOSION instead because he knows that's what makes her happy.
I don't remember that. Does that happen in the light novel, manga or the OVA?

That's cute though.

LN.

Oh no, that's what sells it, in a lot of ways.

Take him and Aqua, they fucking hate each other to start with, but at the same time, they get along amazingly well together. They're basically best friends and bitter enemies, all at the same time, simply because they're terrible people who get along with each other.

Darkness and Megumin are far less antagonistic towards him(and didn't start their interactions by mocking his death, of course), so he gets along a lot better with them, yea. The show was pretty good about making their relationships seem pretty interesting and with good depth. I love how Darkness is basically just slumming because she gets off on it, for example.

Have you never seen South Park?

>but he's absolutely unwilling to do anything that would actually help him become one. If he'd stop and consider his situation, he could have made decisions that would have let him life a pretty happy life in the new world.

That's not quite right - he learns a lot of skills specifically to make his shitty party somewhat functional, and he's made a pretty good life for himself... just that he's ultimately not a *total* asshat so he does end up doing good deeds that result in a lot of problems for him.

Case in point, from the DVD bonus episode, if you haven't seen it. In fact, the entire episode is him completely ignoring Aqua when it comes to that kind of thing, without even noticing.

And then there's the succubus dream brothel episode where he nearly bangs Darkness and has no qualms about it, just dives right in without typical MC "OH NO A G-G-G-G-G-G-G-GIIIIIRL! B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BOOOBS!!?!?" herbivore bullshit.

Worth a watch but Danmachi did it better, 7/10

In the VN Megumin is winning the Kazumabowl anyway

Danmachi is self-insert garbage with bland characters

>Like at the start, when he's told he'd make a great merchant, but chooses to be an adventurer instead...
Well, he's still got "Used Panty Merchant" as a fallback, if all else fails. I think there'd be enough demand to cover for his lack of class-appropriate skills.

To be fair, though, that was only because he thought he was dreaming.

True, but even in a dream how would your typical MC react? Like a goddamn herbivore.
Also consider in the first place went to a brothel, with the intent of getting laid. Sure it turned out that they work through dreams, but remember he didn't actually know that going in.

No typical MC from this genre would ever even dream of doing that, except Based Kazuma.

>True, but even in a dream how would your typical MC react?
Probably just like most insecure nerdy types: if they knew it was a dream, they'd act exactly like they'd like to be able to act in real life, but can't... predatory and confident.

Nerdy wimps DREAM of being confident sexual dynamos all the time, it's just trying to implement any of that in real life that always goes so horribly wrong.

I disagree only in the sense that what real people would do and what anime MCs would do are two completely different things.

That lack of tension between them really threw me for a moment. Sleeping and bathing together, just bumming around or going to get wasted, all without a hint of them being anything but comfy and at ease around each other.
It says a lot about the medium that people *not* being awkward around each other is actually unusual enough to confuse someone.

Thank you based Scumzuma for saving anime. And for once, I mean that completely unironically.

>Nerdy wimps DREAM of being confident sexual dynamos all the time
Hehe, yeah...

The Chanur Saga is a good example outside of japan.
Its about cat-like aliens traders that find a human stowaway on their ship and them having to deal with having a previously unknown species aboard their ship. It turns out that a previously unknown species are considered a hot commodities.

youtube.com/watch?v=LyKI1CHPMNw

Not really because they aren't transported to a whole different world without knowing it. They know they are going to a virtual world when they log in.

It is still a response to SAO. If you can't see any similarities, you might want to re-watch it. It's way funnier once you realize it's written as a giant "fuck you" to only a few shows in specific.

No it's a response to the isekai shows that has been popping up lately (ie Log Horizion, Re:Zero, ect...). Let me repeat, SAO is not an isekai. Besides, I don't see how it is a fuck you letter to SAO at all. None of the elements are there. I think you may be reaching a bit.

>SAO is not an isekai.

It may not be a reincarnation story, but SAO is a part of the "stuck in a (video game) fantasy world" sub-genre just like most Isekai fiction. Trapped in a video game/video game turned real, Summoned Hero, Isekai and Zombie Apocalypse are all different prologues used to set things up in the same fantasy sub-genre.

KonoSuba is a parody of the whole genre and SAO just happens to be one of the big names people are familiar with.

>video game turned real
SAO isn't real though. It's just a virtual game. A simulation. In fact, that's one of SAO's main themes, the reality of the virtual world. I think fairer comparison to isekai shows that KonoSuba is making fun of is stuff like Log Horizon and .Hack. People may think of SAO first when they think of KonoSuba and isekai shows, but KonoSuba isn't parodying SAO at all.

>SAO isn't real though. It's just a virtual game.

SAO's first arc has the main characters trapped in a game where they will die in real life if they die in game and the plot focuses around them trying to escape. It modifies the standard setup of taken to a fantasy world and makes it slightly more "real." The characters still adventure in fantasy worlds even if they are not real.

>People may think of SAO first when they think of KonoSuba and isekai shows, but KonoSuba isn't parodying SAO at all.

No, KonoSuba parodies SAO and many other works in the genre by having the main character, Kazuma, be a parody of "normal" main characters with cheat abilities like Kirito. Kirito and "normal" main characters are special and elite with abilities that make them superior to the non-main characters. Kazuma is the opposite: his stats and abilities are worse and his "cheat" is more often a handicap then an asset.

>be a parody of "normal" main characters with cheat abilities like Kirito
Kirito was never normal. He was a beta tester, an experienced coder and gamer, as well as a seasoned player of SAO. He doesn't have any cheat abilities as well. In universe, all of his abilities were earned. He doesn't go through any shortcuts to gain his reflexes or battle skills. This includes the dual sword ability as well. None of his friends (excluding Asuna) are elite people either. Not to mention that besides some rare instances, Kirito never accomplishes anything without help from others. Comparing KonoSuba with SAO is an unfair comparison mainly because SAO isn't a traditional isekai and also because KonoSuba mainly takes its inspiration from video games (read: Dragon Quest) moreso than contemporary anime.

At least the show provides for that in another way

Yes...sadly we still have to wait until season 2 or 3 for the chunni brigade to show up.

>I now want to have a girlfriend so that she can join me in bed at night, position herself above me naked so her boobs hang down and then smack her tits full force so they jiggle back and forth like a Newton's craddle.

Megumin, what have you done to me?

Sorry, but you are wrong. In the first arc Kirito was chosen to be the hero and given the exclusive dual sword ability by the one who trapped them in the game world in order for him to be the hero and defeat the "demonlord." In the second arc, he inherits his old overpowered stats into a new game along with administration access. In the 3rd arc, having lived in a virtual world for multiple years gives him the ability to block bullets with a laser sword.

These are all cheats.

Also SAO, Log Horizon, KonoSuba, Overlord all started out as webnovels. SAO is over a decade old and KonoSuba was originally published online in December 2012, 10 months before before the Log Horizon Anime came out but 2 days before the SAO anime ended. KonoSuba is a parody of a genre in which SAO is one of the oldest modern examples.

>Beautiful and perfect goddess, can be anything she wants
>With below average int
>And "E" for "E"xceptional luck.

You obviously weren't paying attention, didn't read the LNs, or both. Heathcliff explicitly states that there are several secret skills that are given to players based on special qualifications. Kirito, as the person with the highest reflexes, is given the dual swords skill for that exact reason. As for the new stats in ALO, all players from SAO got the same thing so that's not that much of a buff to him. It's actually for this reason Death Gun is able to do so well in the tournament in GGO and why Kirito is able to single him out (only a person in SAO could have that level of reflexes). And by the way, the admin status was given to him by the GM who had an AI consciousness of himself implanted in the Seed. Not a cheat at all. It was given to him.

>SAO is the oldest modern example
Yeah right. SAO is only the most popular of a long running trend of isekai media that stretches back all the way to old Western SFF (as evidenced by books like Narnia). Hell, even Harry Potter can be classified as an isekai.

I think anything that dealt with positive or negative energy was classified as necromancy in 2nd edition. So all the healing spells were necromancy spells.

>KonoSuba is a parody of a genre in which SAO is one of the oldest modern examples.

Man, I'm not even an animefag and I know for a fact that's wrong

>any particular easy way to look for this stuff
Just use the tags on novelupdates.