>Playing?
>Brewing/tweaking?
>Your local Meta?
>Next MTG Purchase?
>Do you like the current Meta?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.

Other urls found in this thread:

modernnexus.com/topdecks/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Please remove illiterate gang banger snap caster.

The overall and Paper Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Modern deck primer link:
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

>Playing?
Sciesmic Swan Control, because I don't like winning.

>Tweaking?
SSC, because I want to start winning.

>Your local meta?
I go to three different stores with my roving gang of thugs, one meta is shit decks, one is meme decks, and one is actually kind of competitive.

>Next MTG Purchase?
Flip Jace, because he's cheap right now.

>Do you like the currrent meta?
No. Everyone is an elitist faggot who plays a "Control deck"
I'm starting to consider quitting and selling my entire collection so I can focus on college.

Hi all I'm getting back into magic after a 6 or so year hiatus. I can only play MTGO due to time constraints and currently have no collection. What are fairly cheap decks (

U tron is fine if you know your meta, and can pace yourself.

>>Playing?
Lol U trom
>>Brewing/tweaking?
BUG villainous wealth tron
>>Your local Meta?
Overly competitive assclowns
>>Next MTG Purchase?
1000 basic islands, no joke
>>Do you like the current Meta?
It could be better, but there are no autistdrazi so I'm fine with it.

>1000 basic islands
Why?
Like, this is a legit question, I'm not being an autist.

>It could be better, but there are no autistdrazi so I'm fine with it.

Can you please take them back, they're shitting up the older formats now.

It's crazy how the Eldrazi are becoming a force in Legacy and Vintage.

They're full art foils, the store owner gave me a good deal for bulk, expendable income, but mainly why the hell not?

As the only other formats I play are pauper and EDH, no.
This is my "competitive" format, and I don't need alien booger-monsters in it.

>ELDRAZI GET OUT REEEEEEEEE

r u mad that your precious meta is changing or something?

I expected Legacy, I did not expect Vintage. Apparently tossing some fucking Eldrazi and Sol Lands in your Shops deck works way better than expected. Although I guess it remains to be seen if UW Drazi, Shops Drazi, Tribal Drazi, or W Drazi is the best shell for them.

>A cheap (read: popular) deck that uses Sphere/Chalice/Thorn
It's not even the fucking Eldrazi that piss me off, it's that I have to deal with this shit ten times more often than before.

Alright, new format:
It's like a reverse pauper, it's only cards printed at rare or mythic.
We'll call it Modern Jund -lightning bolt

>it's not the eldrazi in my format that piss me off
>it's the eldrazi changing the meta after ~10, because they are in my format
Wut?

Nigerian, you wot?

What do you guys think about the bant eldrazi list? Ive been trying it out on cockatrice and I saw a guy at my lgs just destroy with it.

Lands
4 x Eldrazi Temple
4 x Windswept Heath
1 x Misty Rainforest
4 x Brushland
2 x Yavimaya Coast
2 x Temple Garden
1 x Breeding Pool
4 x Cavern of Souls
1 x Forest
1 x Plains
Creatures
4 x Drowner of Hope
4 x Eldrazi Displacer
4 x Noble Hierarch
4 x Reality Smasher
4 x Thought-Knot Seer
4 x Eldrazi Skyspawner
3 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 x Birds of Paradise

Spells
4 x Path to Exile
4 x Ancient Stirrings

So I'm pondering getting into modern, when I looked at the state of standard and realized that I don't really like it that much, and really preferred some of the decks I played in older standards; specifically, back during Rise of the Eldrazi, I piloted a polymorph deck and had a lot of fun with it.

I'm brewing up a Modern version of it, using Polymorph and Through the Breach to cheat out big eldrazi lords; but I know basically nothing about modern other than the sets in it and the ban list, is a GUR control/combo deck going to be competitive in a broad setting? I have some friends that play Modern a bit, and would like to have a decent idea of waht I'm getting into before I show them what I've got.

I like it, question is what do we replace Bolt with?

Does anyone know if pic related can reduce the cost of auras to zero for things like ethereal armor?

Whats the least played colour

Whats the most player colour

Whats the best colour for a beginner

Ethereal armor costs one W. Not a generic. It reduces all generic costs (those with numbers) not colored mana.

>Drowner of Hope
What the fuck is a intro pack rare doing in there. You don't have 8 sol lands

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Read the card.

Yeah I'm relatively new to mtg and just wasn't sure if it could reduce colored mana or not like this guy addressed googled the shit out of it and found nothing

Look up the lists bro they speak for themselves

Pro tip: Magic cards are read and interpreted as written.

would you say that grave titan is almost strictly better than this?

Why even go into U. It's giving you what, a skyspawner and DoH? Doesn't seem great. I'd just throw in some more Hatebear creatures instead.

At what age did you start mtg?

Well that's what I was curious about. Usually when I'm not sure how a card is supposed to be resolved between two interpretations I think of how it would have to be worded to achieve each condition.

In the case of the card we're talking about, the first interpretation is obvious: "it reduced the cost of one generic mana" makes sense given what the card says.

But lets say it's really trying to say that any enchantment's cost, regardless of color, is reduced by one. I'm not sure how the card would have to be worded to achieve that effect, and to my knowledge I've never seen a card that implies that effect. So because I haven't seen a card that could set precedence for the type of wording that would be needed for the second kind interpretation I asked.

No

It's better but it's not strictly better, cuz there's a scenario in which you can make 5 zombies faster than grave Titan can make 5 zombies

But really I don't think any deck would play it over grave Titan in any format

Is this the new Overwatch character? Mortal Kombat koncept? 90's bmovie sci-fi pit fighter?

Is there anything that can prevent the eldrazi "when cast"-type effects on the stack? I only play combodecks that can self-destruct and I am very worried about the new Emrakul.

Yes Grave Titan is strictly better

fair enough. i really hope we see some better zombie cards in this set. i want to make a modern zombie tribal work so badly. this seems pretty decent to me

>white
>blue
>red

There is no card that reduces the mana cost "regardless of color", check out the card edgewalker for something that reduces the colored cost of a spell (but not generic)

Zombie tribal just cant work
If Goblins which has way more synergy and powerful cards is barely a deck then zombies most certainly cant

are you limiting yourself to eldritch moon and shadows over innistrad?

Why would be disappointed that they came out with a worse grave Titan when you can play grave Titan?

First ask yourself, who is actually going to be running new Emrakul.... no seriously, Is the new emmy something people can assemble easily. a 13/13 mindslaver for 6 sound alright

Speaking of Goblins can we please get a Warchief Reprint?

Play the game long enough and you will learn the language of Magic. It has a specific grammar and dictionary. Your ignorance is simply a case of not being fluent in the language. Most incorrect interpretations are assumptions made without regard to the language you are reading. It is not english. It is a language using the modern english alphabet.

No there is no hate card yet created that will stop all "when you cast" triggers

If you want to hate on Emmy you can use leyline of sanctity, or similar cards like aegis of the gods or sigarda heron's grace

that's why i'm hoping we get some new cards which might help turn the tables

>are you limiting yourself to eldritch moon and shadows over innistrad?
i'm not. i would definitely still use grave titan over noosegraf. i'm more just disappointed that noosegraf isn't a better card

Right I totally agree but because there's no card that does that, I wasn't sure if the wording was just intended to be all encompassing in case you wanted to use him in a multi colored deck.

Yep, just learning it slowly and surely, but sometimes google just can't help with very specific questions about very specific cards.

Good idea to make myself hexprood instead actually. Too bad I don't have access to W. I might give trickbind a try if Emmy turns out to steal games from me.

>this plus triskaidekaphobia
do i win tg?

Usain Bolt will your face.
Trickbind.

The place for questions like that are the "Ask a Judge" threads. Keep an eye out for "galvanicAutogenitor". Pic related.

Back to the spoiler thread.

Whats wrong with white

sorry i ctrl F'ed eldritch moon in the catalogue and didn't see anything. guess i should've searched tentacle butt

nothing it's just out of all monocolored decks i would say it is the least used. It's a really hard question considering different colors see different levels of play in each format and very few decks only run one color

Ehhh, I think it can also be argued that White has the lowest amount of busted cards. Like what's the absolute strongest card White has? Mentor and Stoneforge? Arguably Swords?

White is also clinically unflashy. It and Green are the most beatstick colors, but Green has shit like Hypergenesis and Elves to give it flashiness. There isn't really anything like that for White.

On the other hand; Red is arguably an even shittier color. It get's bad versions of Black spells, Burn, Goblins, and 3/1 creatures.

Or MTG. Or Spoiler.

White has balance, that's the most busted white card I can think of

I agree with you tho

I knew I forgot something. Yeah, Balance is definitely the most busted White card.

Is it general consensus that the banlist makes no sense?

I don't get how the cards in pic are any better than stuff like Serum Visions. I mean, I guess they want to block tutoring for combos. Also, what's the deal with those colored artifact lands?

Picture this: You build a deck around cards with Affinity.
Your mana base is now entirely Moxen.

>Colored Artifact Lands
They make Affinity fucking bonkers. Giving what is essentially Sol Lands to a deck that is as explosive as Affinity kills the Magic.

>Preordain
Draw the best/most relevant card from your top 2, option to bottom the other. If neither card is relevant you can opt to draw a random card.

>Ponder
Draw the best out of your top 3 cards. Shuffle the other 2 away with a fetch, or set yourself up for several relevant draws. Option to draw a random card instead.

>Treasure Cruise
Is a 1 mana Draw 3 in dedicated decks. It's an Ancestral Recall that you can't play on turn 1. That is really insane value, really really insane.

>Glimpse of Nature
Elves get's to draw it's entire deck for 1-mana.

>Dig through Time
By far the most busted card out of these 5. You get to draw the 2 best cards from your top 7, you don't discard the rest so you can easily shuffle them back in with a Fetch (although discarding them would probably be better), and you do this for 2-mana. Dig is scarily busted and I'm honestly still amazed they printed it.

Now in comparison;
>Serum Visions
Draw a random card, than look at the top 2 and decide if you want to draw 1 of them the next turn. SV is so far below the strength of Preordain and Ponder it's not even a comparison.

Apparently, according to the results of no ban list tournaments, Treasure Cruise is the single most broken card on the banned list. U/R delver/Jeskai Mentor lists just crush everything when they have access to 4 ancestral recalls and 4 missteps. Last time I looked into it the meta was like Cruise delver, Affinity, and Storm with some hypergenesis and shoal infect mixed in.

I'm assuming you mean Modern No Ban List?
Yeah within the confines of Modern, Treasure Cruise is the more powerful card as the card selection of Dig loses it's appeal when your deck doesn't look like a bunch of 1-of Restricted cards. When you do have them however, Dig becomes better.

I can definitely see why Delver would be so insane. Any Tempo-based deck that get's to run 1-mana draw 3s and 0 mana Counterspells in a format where Combo can't go off t1 is going to be... pretty damn good.

>colored artifact lands

I started MTG during the ONS/MIR standard. Lemme tell you some shit. SOME FUCKING SHIT.

Alright, you got these dudes, Atog. They eat artifacts. You got another dude named Disciple of Vault. They are bff. Then you replace Atog with a guy named Arcbound Ravager, who's cooler than Atog. Every card in your deck except stuff that gets cheaper via Affinity and Disciple are artifacts. Speaking of Affinity, the artifact lands are fucking sol lands. Okay, so you got the base of the aggro deck. Shit's cool. Oh wait, there's a mega nigger card named Skullclamp, and you're able to just draw 2 cards for killing your shit that was already feeding your ravager. With Disciple of the Cunt in play, your aggro deck doesn't need to attack. Your opponent can't actually counter SHIT because Disciple of the Cunt will just say "your oxidize means nothing" and you can't kill shit because hurr durr modular.

You do not want colored artifact lands in a format that doesn't have hard ass checks to Ravager. Trust me on this. TRUST ME.

I don't play a whole lot, and a normally stick to burn, but I have Emeria Titan built, so I may as well ask; opinions on the Titan/Blasting station/Fiend hunter combo for inevitability against infinte life decks among other things. Seems like having that kind of inevitability is solid for a deck that generally has weak control matchups.

Bant Eldrazi is the real deal. Personally not a fan of Thalia in that deck, I much prefer the 2 Spellskite and 1 Skyspawner to help some of the aggro matchups.

But seriously, don't take advice from here. People haven't caught on yet, which is a good thing for us.

Keep playing the deck and see what you like best.

>Playing?
Ad Nauseam. Started with Infect, got stressed out and started playing Burn. Loved the ease of Burn, but hated the susceptibility to bad draws and trump cards. Built Ad Nauseam after I scrubbed out at the Dallas Open last weekend.
>Brewing/tweaking?
Currently nothing. I'm in love with this deck.
>Your local Meta?
Lots of Tron, Nahiri, and Burn. Mostly Tron. We have a few that bounce around to Land Destruction. Some have played Scapeshift here and there. We also have a few dedicated Jund players.
>Next MTG Purchase?
2 Leylines of Sanctity. Had to borrow them yesterday. Feel bad for using them because they're pretty dickish, but people are free to board in enchantment hate if they know what's up.
>Do you like the current Meta?
I'm a Standard player. I've mastered Standard. On a good day I'm confident I could win it big there. I'm saving my Invitational for the right time (got an IQ win back in February). I'm new to Modern and at first I was apprehensiveā€” people kept telling me how crazy Infect was, but I get stressed playing it. One misstep and you're done, and trust me, my combat sequencing is on point. Now that I'm playing other decks I love it.

Also, you really want 4 Matter Reshapers instead of 4 Eldrazi Skyspawners. Great value card for the earlygame.

If I was you i'd look into the Tooth and Nail decks. It's similar to what you want to do but in slightly different colours.

He could also play G/U/R Scapeshift.

All those "when cast" effects are all triggered abilities. If you have anything that can blank or counter a triggered ability it will work. (e.g Trickbind)

Titanshift version?

Breach/prime time

GR Breach w/Emrakul, singleton scapeshift

what do i name with needle/phyrexian revoker to impede you as much as possible?

Glimpse is stupid broken, broken enough to have Elves splash blue for a similar effect

You can Needle on Lightning Storm, but most lists run the Lab Maniac win as well, in which case there's nothing you can really hit with Needle, and often lists run Slaughter Pact, so Revoker is pretty useless there.

The best way to deal with Ad Naus is a mix of Counterspell and Enchantment-hate.

It's worth remembering that all six artifact lands, including Darksteel Citadel, were banned out of STANDARD. Which should tell you something about their power level.

Thanks for the actual advice user.

DoH provides a solid late game, especially when paired with eldrazi displacer. But, yeah, there's not really any other reason to play blue.

Modern legal Lackey reprint when?

Its dunkcaster mage, the niggiest nog.

4 Kird Ape
4 Tree Monkey
4 Hooting Mandrills
3 Simian Spirit Guide
2 Teferi Mage of Zhalfir
3 Snapcasters (GP promo)
4 Pongify
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Gitaxian Probe (to trigger delve)
4 Explosive Vegetation
3 Rift Bolt

3 Treetop Village
2 Stomping Ground
2 Breeding Pool
2 Steam Vents
3 Misty Rainforest
3 Wooded Foothills
3 Island
2 Mountain
2 Forest

Im running him in my RUG monkeys deck

For someone looking to return to Magic, what's the most cost effective way to get cards that aren't garbage/will be legal in formats for a while to come?

I looked at the "intro packs" and they seem trash and I've heard they're not worth it at all, should I just find a list I like and buy the individual cards or are duel decks/prerelease sets/boosters enough

>flashy and flavorful
gods speed user. Hope your monkies can make it happen and win games.

The most cost effective way to buy cards is to pick a deck and buy the singles you need
First ask yourself what kind of deck you like to play
Do you want to play an aggro deck which are easiest to learn and play overall and focus on efficient creatures and spells aimed at bringing the game to a close before your opponent can stabilize?
A combo deck that focuses on strange interactions between cards and assembling the right hand to go off and end the game in one pivotal turn?
Or a control deck that grinds the game to a halt with counterspells and removal before playing a huge intimidating threat designed to end the game very quickly?

testing it on xmage its actually ok. Of course its absurdly expensive in real life for a non competitive deck but the looks on peoples face when you slap down a Kird ape and hooting mandrills followed by Teferi is pretty priceless

not unless elves gets a wirewood reprint

White is for busted sideboard cards that aren't Bloodmoon

But elves is already decent in modern where as Goblins is tier 3 at best

Not the same guy but Pithing Needle is not as effective as Phyrexian Revoker here and what you want to name is either Pentad Prism or Lotus Bloom. Pithing Needle will not be able to stop these abilities since they're mana abilities but Phyrexian Revoker has no such clause.

The best way to deal with Ad Nauseam is artifact hate, Stony Silence is actually one of the strongest cards against Ad Nauseam because it will slow it down tremendously.

Wirewood. Reprint. First.

Tribe rule #1: no tribe is allowed to even come close to elves

You can even have True-Name in Merfolk as long as you unban Glimpse first. Ugly peasant

I've always preferred fast and aggressive decks, in the past I've played mono red burn and white/blue flier decks

Are there any cheap aggro archetypes at the moment? Doesn't need to be ultra competitive, just something I could maybe bring to FNM or play with friends and not get totally shitcanned

>No tribe is allowed to even come close to Elves
But... Merfolk is better?

If you want to win, spend a little more on burn

If you want to win a little less but have fun playing magic spend a little more on Elves

If you want to win 1 out of 5 games and spend absolutely nothing build Stompy

LIES

NOT AFTER PEOPLE HAVE FIGURED OUT TO JUST JAM 4 SHAMAN

GET BACK INTO YOUR FILTHY PISS WATER FILTHY CARP MAN

That's only half right, the best way to deal with Ad Nauseam is actually artifact hate and hand disruption. Counterspells do help to a point until a Boseiju is used.

>Elves
>Having Lords
You aren't even a real tribe. You know what's a real tribe? Merfolk. Know why? Fucking 12 Lords nigger. 12. Lords. When's the last time an Elf was played in Vintage? Exactly.

Now go back to being used as the meek mana producing nut-huggers you are.

12 lords won't stop Merfolk from getting completely slaughtered by Elves in modern. Who cars how many lords you have if you only have 3 on board by the time our two lords that matter are making 10 man and overrunning for 7