EDH/Commander general

Coolasht Edition

Previous
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

TODAY'S TOPIC: Why do you play EDH?

Other urls found in this thread:

Pastebin.com/DPbtUHZq
deckstats.net/deck-10459524-08195464ada317877ca2a05df8305cda.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I play EDH for my friends. It's what they play, and so it's what I play. Personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

2nd for Black Tree getting banned by the end of the year.

it is so much less of a threat than OG Sorin it's not even funny

It does combo nicely with Triskaidekaphobia

It's far easier to reanimate a creature than a planeswalker.

I can nuke the entire table with this in one turn

It 100% will never be banned. You're an idiot.

Daily reminder that your waifu is bad wrong fun and my waifu is the only correct way to play EDH. If you disagree it's because you are mad and have autism.

gg no re mach

>baseless ad hominem

May I remind you the rules committee hates fun and that this can knock someone's life total down to 1 on turn 2-3. Overloaded mana rocks and colorless haste enablers do exist user.

Why are Sorin and Magister Sphinx not banned?

I'll give you a hint, it's because you're a fucking faggot holy shit.

*pffftshh*
rules comittee can go ahead and suck a huge dick

They should have made that new tree legendary. I think I am gonna try to convince my group to let me build around it anyways.

>Why do you play EDH?
Because it's fun and I like seeing what weird ridiculous interactions I can set up

Plus the table shit-talk is fun in my group

Because both cards are overcosted threats. Magister Sphinx costs 8 mana and requires 3 colors. Games often end before it comes out. Sorin is FAR harder to abuse as he's a planeswalker that requires triple black to cast. After Sorin goes off, you have to + him before being able to do it again or kill him yourself and bring him back with something along the lines of emeria shepard(sun titan can't bring him back).

You can easily get tree out on turn 1-2 because it's splashable and assrape people with reanimate spells. Tree shits all over sorin and magister sphinx.

I've got a present for ya.

Unplayable trash, thanks user!

I don't care about the card so much as I am looking at the picture on the first side and that fucker has a cool glasses thing on. It looks like its made to keep his eye hydrated by trapping some liquid. Thats genius. If he came up with that himself then he should have been named that way he could eventually have his spark ignite.

any opinions on tazri allies tribal? y/n

Nah all the Innistrad Homonuculi have that

Damn. It would be cool to see one as a planeswalker tho.

Nah. It's not as good as you think

Who else is sad they can't run this as their commander? We need more Ooze commanders... At least the cards that flip into it will be going in my monored list

i want a five colored angel! make a maelstorm archangel that's legendary and I'll be anywizard's boypussy aslong as you also have a big wand! ;^)

Whenever someone tells me how Veeky Forums isn't an awful board, I will remember this post and laugh.

What about when someone tells you to report and ignore?

Call them a faggot and make another elf gurl comes up 2 u and slaps ur butt lmao wat do thread to make myself feel better.

Who's the most fashy, alt-right Commander?

Doran the Siege Tower

Konda or Elesh Norn

>feel overwhelming urge to build a new deck
>no idea what to build or even who to use as the general
Fuck

Wait for Conspiracy II user theres bound to be some new fun mechanics and commanders come out of it. I know thats what Im holding out for at the moment.

I'm waiting for this year's commander release before I build something brand new.

Yeah I'll probably wait for those. But shit. I just really want to build something

I know that feel bro. I have the itch real bad and have been whetting it by building "new" decks out of card I already own. But I'm not committing to anything new till we see them quad color commanders.

I always wait a bit before building commanders from the packs. When they're released a lot of people will be playing them and games where multiple people have the same commander are pretty boring. I remember playing a 6 players game with 3 Meren, that was just no fun

It's easier to reanimate, but also WAY easier to kill, and it needs haste to hit someone as soon as it comes down. Sorin and Two-Punch Steve just insta-set your life total to 10 before you can respond (other than a counterspell or a Stifle). This needs setup.

I'm also curious how the hell you'd kill the entire table with it in one turn.

We'll get a Fblthp Planeswalker before long.

Options for three color generals still suck. I don't get how this is still the case.

At least it's better than it was 5 years ago, where your options for the wedges were "The Planar Chaos dragon or nothing".

What if we have the same waifu?

Fucking Meren.

I want to have fun with Alesha but it keeps coming out bad
No list at the moment, it's bad
Save me, /EDHG/
Save me from cute interactions

Coming out bad like, degenerate nonsense, or coming out bad like unplayable trash?

But my commander waifu is Damia
Don't you like cute sneks?

Every time I play Damia I get killed first. I just want to draw cards and have fun

Unplayable trash
I have killed all of one player with the deck, and that was making his pact of negation unpayable

>Fblthp Planeswalker

>Fblthp

>Legendary Creature-Homuculus Coward

And I have no idea what he would do.

I NEED PICTURES

PICTURES OF JUND SAC OUTLETS

Wouldn't be a creature.

Personally I'd love to see a Fblthp planeswalker in an Un-set and all of his abilities just put him in some other zone. Have his plus exile him and then bring him back several turns from now, have his minus put him on top of your library, and then have his ult shuffle him into your opponent's hand.

No matter where he goes he gets lost.

Altar of Dementia, Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar, Attrition, Birthing Pod, Evolutionary Leap, Goblin Bombardment, Greater Good, Perilous Forays, Phyrexian Plaguelord, Phyrexian Tower, Sadistic Hypnotist, Thermopod, Viscera Seer

+X Exile Fblthp for x turns. He comes back with X loyalty counters?
-X Sacrifice Fblthp. Return x Cards from your graveyard to your hand?

Phyrexian Altar
Shivan Harvest
Goblin Bombardment
Skull clamp
Ashnod's Altar
Fallen Ideal
Perilous Forays

The minus doesn't feel very blue. I think he could exile other creatures, maybe? Make them lost?

+X, exile him with X time counters, if he doesn't have suspend he gains suspend, then he comes back with X more loyalty

-X: Choose one - Exile target creature and put X time counters on it and it gains Suspend, or exile X target creatures and put one time counter on each of them, they gain suspend

you cant really do that though , since if you swap one player who is at 40 with the tree, then the tree's toughness becomes 40 until another switch or effect happens, so you wouldn't be able to get more than one guy most of the time unless you blinked it or something

That feels better. I modeled the minus after the lore because ultimatly his being lost was the gain of others.

THANKS

IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR JUND TOKEN MAKERS

Avenger of Zendikar
Prossh
Kher keep
Sek kur
Walkwr Xenegos
Endrek Sahr

Obzedat's Aid says hello

S P E L L S L I N G I N G
Straight into Mizzix you go, one-eyed little friend!

Mycoloth, Kher Keep, Avenger of Zendikar, Endrek Sahr, Xenagos, Sprouting Thrinax, Grave Titan, Ophiomancer, Dragon Broodmother, Mitotic Slime, Awakening Zone (or the new version that makes Scions), Sek'Kuar, Prossh

I think he's stupid calling the card OP, but to be fair he never said that it was impossible to reanimate a planeswalker, just harder. And he's right. There's way more cards that cheaply get back dead creatures than there are cards that get back dead planeswalkers, and many of them are mono-black so they can go into a deck alongside the Tree no matter what overall identity the deck has beyond black.

I feel like I have hit a stump building him. I don't feel like there is much more I can add to pic related. Are there any secret spicy techs for him?

>tfw you have several pieces of a UWx blink deck, and you never played white so it would be a first
>no legend to helm the motherfucker
There was several EMA drafts at my local shop AND NOT A SINGLE BRAGO MOTHERFUCKER

tru that, but still if that damned sphinx is not banned neither will the tree.

Deadeye Navigator + Palinchron

Any tips for a monoblack commander deck that only uses demon creatures?

I want it to be as good as Wizards' precon Commander decks, because those are what I collect/play.

I have two questions for you fine folks:

1) What are some dorks/rocks that will produce any colour of mana at a low cost (3cmc)? Right now I have manalith, cryptolith rites, beast master savant, alloy myr, darksteel ingot (not the one that produced generic mana), some 3cmc elf druid from return to zendikar, and birds of paradise. It technically doesn't need to be ANY colour, RUG would work, but I like things that are versatile.

2) What`s the best way to use Elesh Norn? I think the answer is dump a bunch of weenies and anthems then revel in the massacre, but I was wondering if she had any spicy tech in a BW deck.

Sage of Hours. Once you get to 5 experience counters you take infinite turns.

Fathom Mage, Cold-Eyed Selkie, Forgotten Ancient, Mycoloth, Blighted Agent, Gyre Sage, Prime Speaker Zegana, Chasm Skulker, Champion of Lambholdt, Simic Manipulator, Hooded Hydra, Master Biomancer, Fertilid, Wild Beastmaster, Patagia Viper, Viral Drake, Plaxcaster Forgling, Glen Elendra Archmage, Plaxmanta, Triskelion, Kalonian Hydra, Inexorable Tide, Hardened Scales, Fable of Wolf and Owl

Yes, why are you only using demons? Lots of things are good, demons are pretty nifty in general, but only using demons is kind of meh. Sure it's a tribal and you can obelisk of urd/door of destinies, but I'm not aware of many low cost demons, and most demons have a pretty big draw back.

Anyways, Reaper of the Abyss will be your best friend.

Sagu Mauler

Temur Banner and COMMANDER'S SPHERE how did you forgot that

utopia tree

oh, and rattleclaw mystic

Thanks bros. I'll try to post a list when i get home so I can get some more help.

I actually have Commander's Sphere in there, same with a Mana Convergence (or whatever the pay 1 life for any colour of mana thing is). Temur banner is going in there though, thanks!

>utopia tree
Oh that's definately going in there, thanks user.

I actually have a rattleclaw in there too. I might be getting to critical mass with all of these dorks. How many are too many? I know the answer is, test it and see, but I need to ramp to 8 efficiently as possible.

>Rocks
Chromatic Lantern, Coalition Relic, Mox Diamond, Mox Opal, Vessel of Endless Rest. Paradise Mantle also turns things INTO mana dorks.

>Dorks
Elvish Harbinger, Gemhide Sliver, Honored Hierarch (kinda), Manaweft Sliver, Opaline Unicorn, Scuttlemutt, Sylvan Caryatid, Utopia Tree, Vesper Ghoul

>Elesh Norn
Nothing 'secret' I can think of, since she's just a super-anthem stapled to a one-sided constant Infest. Good, but not really something you can tech with. She's fun with Phantom creatures.

Pastebin.com/DPbtUHZq
Trying to avoid generic green good stuff like avenger and craterhoof etc
Going for hate theme but deck feels slow and simply not hateful enough. Selvala is current commander to get out dumb hate cards faster

Isn't Ogre/Demon a not entirely terrible thing in Kamigawa?

I wish they would do more cross tribal stuff, those cards were fun.

>but I need to ramp to 8 efficiently as possible
Wanderer?

People can win the game on turn 1-2 with Hermit Druid and it's not banned.

>Ramp to 8
Honestly, rely far less on mana dorks. They're gonna fucking die. Even if it's just collateral damage from someone trying to take out an opponent's token swarms, creatures die a lot in Commander.

If your group isn't big on mass LD, focus more on ramp spells like Rampant Growth, Farseek, Nature's Lore, Skyshroud Claim, things like that. They're more consistent since your lands are less likely to die. Mana rocks aren't bad either, but again, know your meta: if someone's gonna be Shatterstorming or Vandalblasting on turn 6 to take care of the artifact player, you don't want to suddenly lose 4+ mana out of it.

Shirei and Shadowborn Apostles are good pals, consider that

I'd really like to know how you plan on casting a 4 mana creature on turn 1 and then getting its toughness to 1 and activating it on turn 2 anything near consistently.

To be fair, your deck has to be built for that, it's not something you can just skullfuck into any old deck. It's also really easy to disrupt.

Put this in Tappedout please

Well ain't this mag-fuckin-neato.

Sure, but it's not like tree is any harder to disrupt and the payoff is nowhere near as high.

Yup. I fell for the "everything I want to run has 3 devotion" trap and I'm trying to find ways to toss him out there, not get 10,000 dead draws.

Actually, I was doing a hybrid-ramp thing. I'm running a lot of things that can put basics directly onto the battlefield, like sword of the animist, pregrination, and explorers scope, including a particularly spicy one that drops 3 basics if I hit threshold. I'm kind of unfamiliar with how to build three colours. Is there some sort of formula for figuring out the right ratio of dorks to rocks to basic land dumpers? I mean, I also have Ur golem's eye, sol ring, thran dynamo and worn powerstone in this deck.

Not bad. Maybe I'll build zombies again, though I feel this is probably better in the 99 of Thrax or Sidisi

HELL YEEAAAAAAAHHHHH

I want one hundred of those, thank you based Wotc for not killing my fav characters.
Btw hey did Geralf lose an eye?

Honestly you want stuff that can just find LANDS whenever possible, because 3 color needs mana fixing.

No it's his SCIENCE monocle, he had it in his C14 art too

That's pretty fucking neato.

At last, a legitimate Zombie Shenanigans commander.

Sure, you need ramp and mana fixing, but too much and wanderer just cascades into more ramp. Probably about 10-15 pieces of good ramp, preferably ones that bring lands directly onto the field and rocks that tap for multiple mana would be better for you.

Are there rocks that tap for multiple coloured mana? Thank you very much for giving me numbers, I'm still pretty casual and I'm stuck in an eternal battle with ratios, so you've helped me out a ton.

On that note, what removal should I run? I admit, I took most of it out in favor of dorks and rocks, but I have things like impact resonance in there to still do some damage to the field. Does green have any wraths, or am I stuck using things like atherize/whelming wave/blasphemous act?

The guild signets do
Gilded Lotus taps for 3 of any one color

Okay cool, I'll pick up some signets on the cheap, and I have a Gilded Lotus stashed somewhere.

Sorry tappedout hates my email.
deckstats.net/deck-10459524-08195464ada317877ca2a05df8305cda.html
This work?

don't forget felwar stone.
In any game with four players it's almost guaranteed to tap for any color. I like mindstone too because it replaces itself in a pinch and you can play both of them off a t1 sol ring which feels real good

Gilded lotus is the only one that comes to mind, but even tapping for colorless mana is still good. As for removal, stick to red board wipes and a handful of spot removal. Greens mass removal.is stuff like bane of progress that wipe artifacts and such. Always remember threat density, so probably no more than ten wipes.

Man, I don't like tribal but I have to build them. I just have to. I might go full hog on theme.

I actually have mind stone in there too. Fellwar stone seems too situational, because I mostly play 1v1, but corrupted graftstone looks like it could be pretty good too. Is springleaf drum worth it?