It's a town, people live there

Making a location is really easy. The trick is to make it vivid and focus on what matters to the game. By keeping the details vague and writing down only what the players can discover everything comes together really fast. Nondescript goon stats can plug into any NPC should combat become necessary, no need to worry about it just yet.

>Name
>Occupation
>Power base
>Allies
>Enemies
>Conflict

Populate this small town with NPCs. Cover the 6 categories and try to reference other NPCs. Add a pic, and we're ready to play.

>Name
Gabrion Isamuel Horteal
>Occupation
Town council head
>Power base
The rich in town and a majority of outlying farmers kept in line with taxes, promises of security, and moral pressure. The town guard.
>Allies
The smith, cobbler, head merchant, priest, and royal toll road tally are on his side to keep order and enable prosperity in piety.
>Enemies
The loggers, mill workers, and a few farmers who suffer enforced prices on their labor and products.
>Conflict
Growing exports along the royal road and the river favor some industries with great profits while others fall behind and get marginalized more and more. This breeds discontent and must be addressed for prosperity to flourish.

>Name

>Occupation
Priest
>Power base
His flock which is pretty much the entire population, some more impressionable than others.
>Allies
Town council
>Enemies
Merchants running uncouth establishments in cellars or outside town where they draw on the believers' coin and spirit alike with wine, whores, and gambling.
>Conflict
The loggers rarely attend temple services and could use a preacher at their camp, but they don't want one.
>Secret
Enjoys some discreet whoring himself sometimes, but he's torn up about it.

>Name
Orgen Petowan

bump

>Name
Ingril the Small
>Occupation
Smuggler
>Power Base
Ringleader of the town's largest speakeasy
>Allies
none but those he pays
>Enemies
The priest of the town who is always trying to shut down the speakeasy with bribes to town council
>Conflict
Thugs from a few miles over have holed up in the speakeasy and are drving away customers (much to the delight of the priest)
>Secret
Also paying off the town council to not come and tear down the operation

plz don't die

I love this concept. Bump!

>Name
Rolanda Horkenstal
>Occupation
Seamstress
>Power base
The village women heed her advice.
>Allies
She knows how to approach the priest and council with reason.
>Enemies
The merchants are in permanent price wars with her or one of her proteges.
>Conflict
Will eye Ingril cautiously every time he can be spotted, he's never up to any good.

>Secret
Lost every child she had in birth or infancy and can get envious of mothers.

>Name
Eric william
>Occupation
Toolsmith (For the last fucking time, he does not make weapons and armor!)
>Power base
Pretty much anyone who needs tools.
>Allies
this guy , the cobbler (buys his nails and their wives are friends), Logger foreman, merchant's guild, the priest
>Enemies
A few farmers who feel entitled to free tools since "They feed his family" (but they don't give him free food), the armsmith (mostly because he gets confused for the guy), Dinkleburg
>Conflict
He's a pious man, but long days are work has him sneak off to 's speakeasy. Not to mention some of his fellow working class friends don't appreciate how chummy he is with Horteal. He'd rather not talk about his arch-nemesis Dinkleburg.

>Name
John Tiller
>Occupation
Farmer
>Power base
Huge man that demands the attention of any room he is in, thinks he can get anything he wants due to his intimidating precense
>Allies
Small group of farmer friends, his family, and sometimes he breaks and goes to for advice
>Enemies
will never give him the tools he needs to provide food for the town
>Conflict
Inside he is insecure and worries about what other people think of him too much

>Name
Billy
>Occupation
Beggar/petty criminal
>Power base
A few friends that owe him favours and the occasional sewer rat that he is training to steal jewellery with mixed results
>Allies
His uncle, Francis who works under the local priest as a wannabe priest and is committed to getting billy off the streets to be an honest God-fearing man

He also allies himself temporarily with anyone that wants a distasteful job done (badly) on the cheap. There is a good chance he will blow the money on drink and fuck up the job.
>Enemies
The victims of his previous crimes (mostly middle class)
Those that have hired his services and been thoroughly disappointed (mostly working class)
The Priest and clergy who think he is a filthy criminal who refuses to change his ways
>Conflict
Frequently comes to blows with his elder brother, Isaac who is an honest fisherman and believes billy is ruining the family name.
>Secret
He is suicidal and drinks so he can forget about it
His rat friends are the only thing stopping him ending it all

You are the true champions of Veeky Forums.

thanks for the 2x(You), friend

>Name
Gern Farance
>Occupation
Low ranking town guard
>Power base
He only holds power over the frail and elderly in the town, everyone else (especially those in the town guard) feel themselves free to shit all over him
>Allies
No true friends, however sometimes he finds himself in the company of scoundrels in Ingril's speakeasy
>Enemies
Everyone that knows his name loathes him
>Conflict
He feels useless and hopeless, and takes this out on those who can't protect themselves
>Secret
His uncle is a high ranking officer in guard of the capital city, which is why Gern is never fired

come on Veeky Forums, I can't be the only one doing this

>Name
Poltick
>Occupation
Owns the toll bridge
>Power base
Has influence among the elite such as merchants and ruling class
>Allies
Works closely with the council and guards as it is in the best interests of the city to keep the bridge open and defendable if needs be
>Enemies
Black people - Poltick does not allow blacks to enter the city
>Conflict
The bridge operates under a strict shoot on sight policy for blacks and the guards turn a blind eye to this. The ruling classes and military men who also are not very fond of the blacks secretly encourage this at their weekly pol meetings
pol = parish officer's league
>Secret
His great grandfather was black which is strictly against pol rules

don't worry
i'm back
from the makers of billy:

>overt racism as a theme
Nope.

bumo

>Name
Rilder Gomlick
>Occupation
Independent Thief with the occasional contracts
>Power base
Low rent apartment in the shittier sections of town, and the usual places to hide
>Allies
Fences, those who sign contracts with him, occasionally Billy
>Enemies
Town guards, rent-a-cops, rich people, nobles, other thieves in competition
>Conflict
The growing popularity of private guards, and the increasing tech the guards use have made life difficult for him, also his name is in the database of the police station, better get that cleared
>Secret
Rather agoraphobic due to staying his whole life in cities and densely populated areas
Ashamed that his parents are probably disappointed with him due to his profession
Alcoholic and pretty bitter about it

>Name
Antoni Gomlick
>Occupation
Owns the Ropewalk, producing all the ropes used in this and several surrounding towns.
>Power base
People always need rope.
>Allies
Has a tentative business alliance with the man who owns the sail loft in the city down the river. Has been saving up to open a second ropewalk down there.
>Enemies
His brother Rilder is a smear upon his good name and he's done his best to get him ridden out of town, so far to no avail.
>Conflict
See above
>Secret
Once let his brother talk him into hiding stolen goods in his ropewalk.

Brother it's been a while. I need to drop off some gems, it'll only be for a few days I promise.

>Name
Ehrik Fur
>Occupation
Beggar/Informant
>Power base
Those who need info leaked from loose lips
>Allies
Rilder is a common client, Orgen always wants to know about the Council
>Enemies
Gern who kicked him into the canal
>Conflict
Billy always takes the best spots to beg
>Secret
Keeps a almond sized sapphire under the lose cobblestone in the alley off Baker St. It was his mothers betrothal gift.

>Almond sized sapphire

Holy FUCK Rilder! That's Ehrik's! No way I'm taking that shit

Have you SEEN that thing? These gems are from that fat ass noble Gabrion! Besides, picking pockets of the poor is beneath me.

>Name
Commonly known as "Oughtnot" as in "ought not to grow up like him, kids"
>Occupation
"""Firekeeper""" read NEET, keeps a fire going on the side of the road at the edge of the town, loiters by it most of the time, lives off by nicking food
>Power base
None
>Allies
None
>Enemies
Most
>Conflict
Contributes nothing, just a burden on the town

>yfw most video game developers would try to sell this to you as a metropolitan city and major hub of the region/nation

God damn console limitations. But yeah, I fucking hate it when they do that shit.

>Name
Arbor Oh'fella
>Occupation
Logger Foreman
>Power base
Other loggers and their families, everyone else those who live outside the village walls.
>Allies
Eric the tool smith supplies most of their saws and axes. Those Who Live Behind The Trees
>Enemies
The Priest who's always putting his nose were it shouldn't be. Gabrion Isamuel Horteal who charges an arm and a leg to live on whats been /their/ land for generations.
>Conflict
The logging front has been increasingly harder to maintain as of late.
>Secret
Is head priest of a pagan religion operating out of the forest surrounding the town

I don't trust that house with the green smoke/light.

Probs the apothecary working on some shit. That or billy was over there and let out a rank ass fart.

Finally this thread is picking up again
>Name
Those who know him call him The Man of Moss, his true name is unknown
>Occupation
He is a spirit of the forest
>Power base
He likes to pull pranks on unsuspecting villagers during the night
>Allies
Other spirits of the forest
>Enemies
None, though sometimes his pranks can go too far though (the Drowning of the Mayor 40 years before still remains in the minds of the older folk, especially , who was to marry him the following week
>Conflict
His forested area is slowly contracting on him due to >Secret
Few know what he looks like, as he only comes out in the middle of the night

Would he be pissed off if someone went into a mine to nick some of the stray ores and gemstones?

>Name

Horatio Sant

>Occupation

Apothecary

>Power Base

Providing health services, tonics, potions and other remedies to those in the town and abroad to near-by towns and wealthier families who can afford his treatments.

>Allies

along with Ser Gregory Nelson, who's newborn son he saved from a rare disease (he's banking on the nobles support to push his way up past the rank if mere gentry.)

>Enemies

The loggers (for using barbaric 'traditional' methods of healing and not seeking his care), for smuggling valuable goods stolen from his own laboratory and selling bogus cure-all to the townsfolk.

>Conflict

His practice is being discredited by superstition. People who keeps asking him for his strongest potion when they are not strong enough for it.

>Secret

Actually dabbles in alchemical theorem and experiments taken from earwax heretical texts. He is intrigued and finds it difficult to ignore what he could learn..

>Name
Chiral Dossas
>Occupation
Potter
>Power base
Much of the town guards, who he donates fresh pottery to for giving their time and efforts to defend him.
>Allies
Gern Farance
>Enemies
Poltick the Tollman, for being a ruthless, racist cunt who charges him to just cross a damn bridge.
>Conflict
Tired of spending money to cross a small bridge, shouts at Poltick every day.
>Secret
Gathering some into a plot ring in order to stage an "accident" for Poltick.

Hey Horatio, Rilder stopping by. Just came to pick up some sleeping tonic for... uh... need to sleep I guess.

Oh, have lots for sale. Any style to fit the buyer's needs. Best prices this side of the bridge too

This little burg we've made needs a name.

Justainasburg
A quaint little community in a growing town. Or could be the name of the town itself idk.

I propose the name Reddon
Named after Arhor Reddon who founded it 200 years prior as an entry point to the mines

There's a statue of him in the town square, a tall, burly man with an impressive moustache, iron pick in one hand and oil lantern in the other

Fordhurst, Woodwick, Hortealing (after the founder, Aethelwud Horteal), Forestead

>Reddon founded the town

You believe that meme-tier history don't you? Must have listened to one of Oughtnot's ramblings again...

How could he not have? His name's right on the plaque in the middle of town!

Nah, the mine isn't part of the forest. He might decide to steal your loot if you leave at night though

I like that. Here is a complementary drawing of the statue I made after 12 hours of MS paint.

Though I still think that Justainasburg should be a street or section at least.

About the mine, I should've been specific about where at. I was referencing a mine that has been abandoned and reclaimed by nature (sort of like your domain).

Fuck I'm gonna draw a map of this place later if I have the time.

Of course, the mine has long since been run dry

However, the town prospers as the entrance into the Golem's Pass, a main trading route through the nearby mountain range

Any monsters, bandits, or general ne'er-do-wells taking up residence in the mine?

At twilight one can sometimes hear shouts coming from that area, however they stop whenever the sun goes below the mountains

Welp, in that case, time to go looting! The landlady's been bitching about the rent money and quite frankly, I'm too delicate and prudish to be some cunt's rent boy.

You know it, I can't go near there to get the clay for my pots. I have to cross the river and deal with that troll who stands guard there all day

Wouldn't do that if I were you, it's infested with Knockers.

>you

Hey, if you need a reliable jug to carry water in I know a guy who makes really durable ones out of pottery

>Name

Alaric Silver

>Occupation

General Magic Man. Whenever some sort of spooky shenanigan comes knocking at the towns door, Alaric is the one that comes around and smacks it with a broom until it fucks right off.

>Power base

The townmembers he helps.
>Allies

because he knows how to get some of the reagents that the Apothecary needs in some of his more delicate medicines.

>Enemies

and the town council. Mostly because he calls them on all of their bullshit that they try to pull on the local townspeople.
>Conflict

Likely accused of some form of witchcraft by the Priest, which is likely backed up by the town council. Out of town debts he still has to pay off, likely resulting in some unsavory characters coming into town to try and collect said debts.

He should be burned at the stake

You're the priest, aren't you.

Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a religious nutjob that would play off on the Priest.

It is rather spooky sometimes, but the guy does come to my shop daily. Let him be

How did those fire salts work in that tonic you had been working on, by the way?

>Name
Gant Vara
>Occupation
Surgeon
>Power Base
His clinic on the edge of town
>Allies
Alaric and Arbor, due to their hatred of the council and habit of actually getting shit done.
>Enemies
The Council, The Priest for encouraging the town to rely on the gods rather than medicine, pretty sure Horatio Saint is a snake oil salesman
>Conflict
His clinic is going out of business due to the increasing number of people relying on Horatio Saint's potions
>Secret
Has seen what the Moss Man really looks like. Drinks to forget.

I sell pottery, the fire salts are mixed inside the mortar and pestles that I sell... as far as making tonic goes you'll have to talk to Horatio

Damn that place was precarious. So many twists and turns leading into pit falls. Heard some noises while up there but I kept to the shadows and didn't see anything. Nicked a few chunks of ore left behind, and a lone coin purse that some poor schmuck left sitting around for the taking. Also anyone know what this thing is?

>Name
Dolores Dossas
>Occupation
Housewife
>Power base
Good looks
>Allies
Her husband Lumberjacks
>Enemies
Priest, because he considers her a whore and because she spends too much time with the lumberjacks.
All the other women in the city.
>Conflict
Husband can't satisfy her.
>Secret
Is a follower of the pagan religion operating in the forests surrounding the town.

Regularily cheats on her husband.

secretly a son of

>Name
Joseph Baum
>Occupation
Noble, Merchants Guild officer
>Power base
Town Merchants, Loggers
>Allies
Gabrion Isamuel Horteal gets a discount (So does all the counsel, but shh), Horatio Sant who gets his rarer ingredients though him
>Enemies
Other nobles who see his rise to noblehood from a merchant as an insult
>Conflict
The other MG officers are always scheming against him.
>Secret
Born a commoner, has ties to one of the logger families under Disdains their pagan ways but finds it in his heart to cover for them and the loggers always answer the call of kin.

Who's the mother?

Ah, my fine wife. So glad you came back early for once... how was your mushroom foraging? Find any big ones like last time? I'm sure with Arhor as your guide you'd fine a lot

Died in childbirth, Oughtnot used to be fairly rich before drinking it all way in despair.

Arhor's been dead for 150 years, my friend. Perhaps you need to lay off those mushrooms?

Oh God, this a Dale Gribble situation isn't it? Fuck I'm dying.

Oh dear Chiral. You wouldn't believe the size of mushrooms in the forest.

*Arbor, perhaps I should...

Never heard of Dale... there is a guy named Rusty Shackleford that I bumped into the other day after crossing and Poltick's bridge.

You don't say...

Noble, eh? Better make a note of this.

Also, anyone notice how invested my son is in religion? It's almost as if he's got holy blood running through his veins... wonder who he got it from though?

Evening, Joseph. It's Garn.

Gee I wonder... Anyway, does anyone know how much this shit is worth? Looks like it's made of gold.

It looks like some kind of idol.

If it wasn't missing a sapphire, it would fetch a large price on the black market

Of course, it still would, being a golden idol, but the lack of the sapphire hurts the resale value a little...

Ain't an idol for any religion i've ever seen.

The priest might have fathered a kid... geez, glad my wife is so dang gorgeous. She'd never stoop so low as to lay with the bishop. Just confession every other day, like a good pious woman.
That idol looks really cool. Maybe you'd be willing to trade it to me for a few of my finer vases. has a good point, that missing sapphire does hurt the value

Oh, it's you. Did your Uncle send you to fetch his monthly tobacco shipment?

You sure you want to take that idol in to your house? From what I've heard, pagan idols are usually cursed.

>t. Arbor

I know it's an idol, I sto- erm saw it in a bin outside of the church in town.
You could be right, I noticed a space where a gem would fit, I could probably just throw another gem in and call it abstract. That seems to fetch a high price on the market.
Yeah, your wife is pretty hot. And I could do with a few vases, does your wife deliver?

Keep makin' cracks about my uncle and I might just walk away. I'm already angry with you making a house call. Right now, some idiot's probably stepping on a rusty nail, and I can't do a thing. So, what needs surgering?

Then you would have already felt the effects of that curse, no?

You never know. Sorcery is insidious.

She does actually! Once she gets back from Arhor's little lumberjack meeting I can send her right away.

Everyone should probably start signing posts with character name and occupation of who they are playing

It would be nice not to have to jam your name into the begining of every post.

>tells us to do something
>does not do it himself

You must be Oughtnot
- Chiral, Potter with the hottest wife in town, so be jelly

Over in the courtyard. Some fool of a lad had a wagon fall on him. Oh, and the pay for your work for our mutual "wooden" friend is beneath the mossy flagstone outside.

We really should. Also anyone know anything about that artifact I found in the mines a while ago?

This is a good thread. We should make this a regular thing.

Here here!

*I take a long bonesaw from my bag and use it to pry the stone away, being sure not to look at or touch the moss. I take the money.*
Right. Let's see to your servant.

I don't know a lot about artifacts, but I do know a lot about pottery. That looks like an old gyroid made by the people who used to live here before us. They lived among animals... right in their village! Insane if you ask me...

oh

- Chiral, Potter

We did it, everyone!

What a bunch of fucking furries. I'm just gonna sell it to museum, they seem to eat this shit up. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a noble house that needs to be broken into.