We're playing Pathfinder

>we're playing Pathfinder
>to keep things balanced, we only use material from the CRB

>We're going to try [X Type of Game/Setting/Theme]
>Because we don't know anything else we're playing a modified Pathfinder

It's decent for what it does but people need to expand their horizons.

Reminder that this is what shitty GMs ACTUALLY think. Because they don't understand the 3e framework and are fucking retard losers with retard loser taste.

>5% chance of critical failure or success
>binary pass/fail system based on a swingy d20 roll
>Fuckfinder is a ripoff with retard fanboys

When 4th edition came out. And fuck Pathfinder, the D&D clone. AD&D has the best writing and adventures of any swords and sorcery RPG I've ever played.

And I've played...
>AD&D
>D&D 3rd/3.5
>Mongoose's settings
>Pathfinder
>WoD (depends on the game)
>GURPS 3rd (low tech settings)
>Green Ronin shit
>d20 system

And about 12 more systems I can't remember since I started going for a security clearance and had to delete them 'cause, you know, Uncle Sam and copyright law.

Anyway, the writing for the others SUCKS.

When a single four on one fight lasted four sessions.

That was your DM.

You made this thread like, three days ago.

We get it, dnd is shit.

>liking 3.x
>good taste

Pick one.

ADnD had good settings. But the rules are bonkers and cumbersome, the layout and editing trash, and the writing is some of the dorkiest sperg shit I've ever seen. I mean, q. v's, really?

When I found a PHB in a dumpster.

> I started going for a security clearance and had to delete them 'cause, you know, Uncle Sam and copyright law.

What the fuck, is going through your hard drive part of the vetting process in the US?

No it was health bloat pal. That and the scenario was basically "keep the wizard alive long enough to actually end this bullshit."

it's not, user just panicked.

>What the fuck, is going through your hard drive part of the vetting process in the US?

Why wouldn't it be?

>When you realize that people that bitch about which system to play and not to play are truly shit.

You would like 5e.

Nope, but a polygraph is. When I answer the question, "Have you committed any serious crimes?" I.e., "could you go to jail for something ?" The answer shouldn't be "yes" if I intend to proceed. Considering I had approx. half a million dollars of books, music, games, movies etc. pirated, I definitely qualified. But if you say, "I USED to...but I stopped on this date", and that date is far enough ago, they can be cool with it. It's evaluated on a case by case basis.

I like how all crimes are serious in the US.

You do know those machine only pick up how nervous you are and that they can give false readings on perfectly calm people as well right?

It is the same shit scientologist do, make you nervous then hit you with a serious question then read your body language and response time. The machine could be replaced with a badger and you would get the same results.

I do know that - it happened to me twice.

>Look, Ma, I posted it again!

They tested you on a badger twice?
God bless America.

>thinking pathfinder isn't the best system

You guys are blue pilled

As someone who fervantly hates AD&D's crunch and prefers the 3.5 even if its balance is basically worse than shit, I can say that TSR had some of the best written shit I've ever seen fluff wise. Just look at their encyclopedia magic series. whole pages devoted to fluff to understand how magic gems work, their properties. It's no real surprise a bunch of retarded christfags thought this shit was really satanic. It's really flavorful stuff that will help you build magic items for any system, even though its focused on it's own.

Their books even have a bible like quality to them. I've heard someone even had a huge one like a library dictionary with 7 tassles. I wonder if you can purchas it or if it was commissioned.

Say what you will about 3.5 being garbage, a lot of the philosophy behind 2.0 was also pretty stupid, even if in crunch it worked out a bit better, but undoubtedly in flavor and themeing AD&D is still worth purchasing today.

Polygraphs: where a coin flip is more accurate.

I hate D&D and I see it has plenty of flaws, but I wouldn't call it 'garbage'.

It serves its purpose, it's a stable and reliable system that's easy and 'classic' enough for new players that just want a vanilla tolkienesque fantasy adventure and versatile enough to allow many variations and sperimentations afar from this theme.

I'm a forever DM of my own homebrew systems, I don't like D&D and I'm never going to run it again, but I 'respect' it.

You know what? I know you're baiting me.
I just don't care any more.
>3.5's balance is a joke.
>Nobody I know wants to play 4.
>5 is a streamlined, more balanced version of 3.5 whose problem is that it's just that- it covers kitchen fantasy bullshit without actually being anything more than mediocre and is pitched like the second coming of Christ.
It's the pizza of roleplaying. You can get good pizza, you can get bad pizza, you can get pretty damn fantastic pizza, but it's always going to be just pizza. No more, no less. It's never going to be haute cuisine, and I guess I'm a bad person for being disappointed that it's not.

Except it only can be "classic" fantasy by illiterate retards who don't read any actual classic fantasy novels. Or even watch movies. Whose only image of "generic fantasy" comes from vidya, and most of those were heavily inspired by D&D on the first place. And it certainly isn't Tolkienesque, as game creators themselves claimed tolkien as only a secondary inspirtion, with primary being sword and sorcery in vibe owf Howard and Leibner. Problem is, D&D fails to emulate those as well (at least newer editions do).
It also is NOT versatile enough to make it antyhing else - unless that anything else is specifically designed to benefit from the traits of D&D - Eberron and Planescape are good examples - and then it can be much better than vanilla game, but to emulate a setting/theme NOT designed to fit with D&D, it will surely fail as specifics of the setting (mostly: vancian magic, superpowered characters overtly breaking mast basic laws of physics without use of magic as early as on lower-mid lvls, hp bloat). And homebrewing all those out is in most cases harder than learning a better fitting systems.

One thing D&D does really good is what it was designed for - tactical dungeon crawl with extremely "gamist" attitude. And there is nothing wrong with that, but I refuse to believe that most people getting into TTRPG are specifically into this thing, and not lured into D&D by it's brand name and little else.

That's all mostly about 3.PF and to lesser extent 4e. From what I heard 5e is a step in generally good direction, albeit too small step, and certain problems with D&D are holy cows now and will most likely never be removed with edition changes.

>pizza can never be haute cuisine.
You sound like a faggot.

Come visit Italy. I can't guarantee you"ll reconsider pizza as haute cuisine, but seriously, who the fuck wants haute cuisine when you can have pizza verace

>2016
>Playing Pathfinder
>Saying D&D is garbage
>Playing d20 at all
>Pretending differences are meaningful enough to justify playing d20 at all
>Probably is
>Probably isn't purposely including D&D as in D&D where Magic User and Hafling are classes, but technically is.
>Old School D&D and AD&D actually do kind of suck system-wise, don't pretend you don't love them for nostalgia, fluff, and kitschy lulz.
>Probably hasn't even bothered considering 5e
>Fuck it, it's still a d20 derivative system
Keeping it casual, I see. Carry on.

Have you tried proper pizza, user?

>pizza verace
sfinciuni
>pizzolo
mmm, pizzolo