WIP/Painting Thread

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

I'll do it tomorrow edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cw6QjE2a7A0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I dig it.

It's saging, but the previous thread () is still only on page 8.

First time using loose Citadel static grass instead of Army Painter tufts. I officially prefer the appearance of the latter.

Is the weapon turret base for the drop pod the same size as the turret base of the razorback? Looks like it from photos, but I don't have either kit to test.

Gamergrass is the best I've found, I think it was £17 for 5 big sheets of varied tuft sizes fairly tightly packed on.

Reposting TACTICAL ladders.

Wait no, it was 7 sheets. Forgot I bought some daft ones I've not used yet, like wintery grass and blobs of moss.

Black armor, should I leave it as is after the primer and go straight to Highlight or should I do something to it. Going for a matte look to up the intimidation factor.
I hope the inevitable Deathwatch Codex allows me to take Terminators

I'd at least blend a little dark grey in at the lighter areas.

I go for a rough highlight, wash with black and maybe do some touch ups (that highlight can be a bit rougher than I'd like), then highlight the edges a slightly lighter grey. But honestly it depend on your style so experiment!

Okay.
How do I blend?

Thin paint, apply a small amount, swap to a moist brush, brush the edge of the paint into the direction you want to blend.

I learned from this, actually: youtube.com/watch?v=cw6QjE2a7A0

Just give it a few tries on sprue before you accidentally your models.

How do I paint a nice metallic purple like this? It's for my space marines. Do I have to custom blend?

Needs a little cleanup, but do you guys thing this power maul looks alright?

Just finished these two bad boys. Was enjoyable to paint if anything.

My recently finished Stormhawks

How embarrassing.

The super structure of a 1/700th scale USS Missouri battleship. These brass etch details will be the death of me.

Going to do the details and bases?

The model looks very nice to me, only a few things irk me.

The black is very clean, but perhaps they're too clean. I'd do some more highlights and then sponge on some Leadbelcher for a weathered effect.

I'd also do some highlighting with Runefang Steel on the guns. They look a tad boring to me at the moment.

Otherwise its a good work.

That looks sweet. I met an officer who used to serve aboard the Missouri. Keep up the good work.

Was just having fun with drybrushing and highlighting. Debating leaving them like that (it's just those two purestrains in Deathwatch) or actually try and make them look like normal 40k models.

I-I dig it too. More.

I think the head of the maul looks too small. If it was just a wee bit bigger I think it would look fabulous.

I like the missiles! But.. something about the white on the cockpit seems off. I don't know how to put it into words but it just feels off.

god, as much as I love the Chaos Lord kit, I really wish GW would release a new one.

Suggestions for a decent set of paint brushes?

Something beautiful is happening.
Magnetised the weapon wrists for changing up load-outs. INQ28 in mind.

It's like you didn't even try to look for yourself.

Is there any single piece more awkward to paint than Marine powerpacks?

Renegade Heavy Mortars 1/2

Renegade Heavy Mortars 2/2

Nice kit to work on. Always loved field artillery.

This is great. Make an army of these.

the last 4 pictures are the same

this board is a joke

>How embarrassing

Id say whats embrrassing isbthe dact you said they were done.

Not him. But I never know what to get. Like I have two brushes I can't live without but everytime I try for another it just doesn't work.

It's not a very good one if it is.

Dark eldar commissar?

I can't wait to see how this progresses.

Progress on ghazghkull and killa kan, both still wip, killa kan more so. Going for the last few touch up and detail passes on the warboss, taking any critique and advice.

Faggy hat = eldar

Some have luck with painting bright silver base and then layering coloured washes on top.

Snazzy, might use som contrast bits though, little blue/green/purple for cables or summat, try and do a shoop before you put brush to model though.

Anyone have clever ideas on how to magnetize the wings on my Demon Prince?

Is it doable/worth the effort?

You could've magnetized the whole wing assembly but it looks to be quite stuck in there already

Naw, just poster putty.

Warcolours has a purple metallic but it might be a little lighter than that.

Fucking nice, but how do they load it? Kinda tall.

They likely aren't loaded from the top, but rather the back/bottom.

Finished assembling and priming most of these models, the Scion will be the first up to be painted. I put them on inserts larger than the insides of the bases partially because the bloodwretches and their splayed out poses make them a hard fit.

Ah ok, for a second I thought they had to climb to the top of the mortar and throw it down

>Primer is gritty and uneven

This is my greatest fear. That during advanced modelling I will ruin months of work because of shitty primer.

Hey guys,

After years and years of painting with only brushes, I'm jumping into airbrushes.

What basics do I need? Can I use my current GW paints? I hear I can just thin them down with Windex.

I'm really coming in blind here.

Yay for Nurgle.
Gritty? Naw it's a bad rash
stray hair? Yup
Gone on too thick? Flesh oozing like wax.

Yeah that sucks hard. I've managed to save some badly primed models by dry brushing them (literally, no paint) before the primer had really cured. Helped cut down the dust.

did you attempt marble instead of plain white? If so, it's interesting, not quite there, but a cool idea.

do you have a blog? I swear I already saw this this morning.

Aye. I did that too with a few metal orks I had lying around. The basecoat turned out dusty so I vigorously brushed the largest particles off with a large brush and painted over any scratches with a brush.

I see some of them are crooked and think pic related.

Not sure what this will be, but any feedback on what to add?

Was thinking more blades along the spine

OP here,
I feel like she's a dire avenger whom fell away from her craftworld and joined an inquisitor. She has kept antique parts of her equipment because I spose she's most effective with it, but now uses imperium equipment in place of damaged or lost aspect gear.
...or some writefaggotry like that.

My first finished paint job. It could be better but I like the color scheme. What details am I missing?

Why do you say that?

Should I have used different words to ask the question? I'd course I've looked around, but I was hoping for opinions from Veeky Forums to explore or direct me in what I've seen.

Do you think it's because of the larger block directly underneath it? Would it help if I shaved it down some?

Tentacle Grape/10

bonus points for white cloth and blue-metal tentacles

Windsor & newtons is what you want, but you can find cheaper ones on aliexpress

Took Veeky Forumss advice and I think it turned out well

before for comparison

I think you're looking at your own solution; glue magnets to the backpack, then sculpt sockets around them.

Windex contains ammonia. Ammonia eats chrome. Airbrushes are covered in chrome. Don't use windex.

has anyone got examples of the technique where you paint layers over silver actually working? As I'm about to try it and I have no idea if I'll do it well

which technique exactly? Are you trying to coat the silver or let it shine through like when painting a gem?

Just make sure it's a wash/ink, or a regular paint diluted heavily with medium.

Spikes along the back, like spines. Possibly add pieces of tattered cloth or something else to make that back slightly more interesting.

But by the Omnissiah, that's cool.

Letting it shine through, I was going for

A few pics I got shot of my Khador.

I like red. A lot.

Ya did good user.

My only real criticism is a lack of highlighting. I can see some highlights, but thin, sharp, bright edge highlights really help with models. Going over the edge of the gold and metal parts with bright gold/steel would really make them pop.

Also, the red is very flat and could use a lot of attention. With a couple layers of increasingly brighter red but over smaller and smaller areas you could make that haft and that topknot really pop, but at the moment they just kinda look dark and boring.

What brush are you starting with? Iwata Eclipse is still my most used brush and a great starter.

I dont use Citadel paints for airbrush, Ive had problems with clogs when there shouldnt have been. Start building a collection of Vallejo is my advice regarding paints.

Cleaning and troubleshooting will be your biggest obstacles. Ive been airbrushing models for about 3 years, and cleaning is priority #1. I cant stress this enough.

Watch some cleaning tutorials for whatever brush you buy. Take extreme care with the needle. Always assume theres dried paint in the tip if you are getting a bad spray. Disassemble and clean often.

Not all colors are equal. Some will require more thinning than others. Its a trial and error thing. You'll have sone growing pains, but its gonna be worth it.

yay non GW in WIP. i paint both gw and warmahordes so good to see some variety. great looking army man

cheers man. I paint up both myself as well, but Veeky Forums loves GW so hard

Have you considered adding a bit of metallic paint to the rivets on that juggernought.

Typically panels like that get painted after assembly, and the paint globs up around the rivet's bottom, while the paint on its top is the first thing to chip off. Just a thought from a metal-working fag.

I haven't touched him in a long time. These got taken just after a tournament I had stayed up 16 hours painting everything in a mad rush for. That's why there's also orange over fucking everything. It comes off like a rust effect, but in reality I just overshot with my airbrush at 4 in the morning and couldn't be fucked fixing the paint.

I will paint over the rivets though, I generally do do that.

Fair enough, was just askin about it

So I layered a guy in leadbelcher, then silver, and now I'm just layering agrax over agrax over agrax to see if I can get a glossy brown (kind a minotaurs look, I guess?) So far he looks back up to leadbelcher in terms of brightness and a tad more brown

I'm honestly just using old marines to try and learn techniques

If you want glossy brown GW literally just released a glossy Agrax.

Maybe if people that did not paint GW things started posting their WIP you could remove that stick that is lodged in your ass out.

That sticks lodged pretty far up user. Wanna give me a hand getting it out?

Sure lend me one of your unpainted Jacks and I will pull it out.

Then you will finally have something painted.

I'm just trying to learn the technique, man

probably not gonna use it much in the future, just think it'd come in handy to know

Washes and paints are innately matte. Hit it with a gloss like ardcoat afterwards or mix it into the paint.

pretty good, but why are all highlights layered, but the shoulderpad is not? Or is it an illusion?It really looks blended

Progress pic, still missing bits on him and I have to convert him to 40k and try a spirit theme once some bits come in. First picture ive ever taken with my homemade shitty lightbox too. Suggestions?

I know hes missing a leg chunk. I may be using LEDs for some additions in the future.

Still need to work on bases, but otherwise done