MTG Lore/Stories

New M/tg/ fag here. Recently got into mtg and even more recently started reading the lore that comes with each set. I was wondering if any of you guys know where I can find a pdf of the older books that used to be put out like related or if there's a compiled source that I could use to read all of the stories.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!ixMkzaDD!h8c2qci9Tq0R-QZeb5XPyA
mega.nz/#F!nkN1gQIY!TwdhRt7TnIUyZ2J5oEOjuQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gotta buy them. They're around $8 each.

I gotchu senpai just let me open my dropbox I'll upload them

People say that they're shit books, but I thought they were fun and they sure as shit better than the lore we get now

Alright, so the ones I have are the weatherlight saga from start to finish, odyssey book 1 and 2 and also Ravnica cycle.
If anyone else has any of the other cycles as pdfs please post them, I've been looking for the kamigawa cycle for a long time.

I'll start with the weatherlight saga, 1st up is the brothers war, which gives an intro to Urza, the best planeswalker, and why he hates phyrexia(I think, it's been a while).

2nd up is Planeswalker, which gives us a great character in Urza's phyrexian assistant Xantcha.

Also, I forgot about the Thran, but I never read that one and I don't have it. IIRC, it's about Yawgmoth before he became the god of phyrexia and why he wants to take over dominaria so bad.

3rd is Time Streams, which gives us Jhoira of the Ghitu, Karn and Barrin. All three are great characters, and I think this is my favourite of the first three books because the setting of Tolaria with its famous academy and the time travel elements make it an entertaining read.

4th is Bloodlines, which is about Urza experimenting more with time travel, and a war with the Keldons, I think. It also introduces Gerrard at the end, the 'bloodline' that Urza was working on to create a being that would eventually destroy phyrexia as part of the legacy weapon. He later semi-abandoned this idea, but Gerrard grew up and did fulfill his destiny, as seen in the card Vindicate. He is the main protagonist of the rest of the weatherlight saga, though Urza is still kind of the most entertaining to read about, in part.

Next is Rath and Storm, an anthology book meant to introduce more of the characters present in the weatherlight saga and especially the crew of the weatherlight.

After the intro, we move into the masquerade cycle, the beginning of Gerrard's fight against phyrexia. This is masquerade book 1, which gives more character development to the crew of the weatherlight.

Masquerade cycle book 2, Nemesis.
The masquerade cycle I think also introduces Greven Il-vec, and a bunch of goons from Rath. Greven is a decent villain, and hates Gerrard as much as he possibly could, as can be seen in the card Hatred.

Shit, I didn't even look at the cover here. Yeah, at some point in Masquerade Crovax turns evil and becomes the evincar of Rath I guess. He also kills Mirri which is a tragedy, Mirri was great. In an alternate timeline, Mirri was the one that became cursed and evil, as can be seen in the card Mirri the Cursed.

Here is the final book of the masquerade cycle, prophecy.

The Brother's War is one of my favorite books. Not even one of my favorite MtG books, just one of my favorites all around.

It's the only book in which Urza is a sympathetic character, too. Which is probably intentional.

This, on the other hand, is one of the worst books I have ever read.

Clearly I don't remember the exact chronology of these books, cause I swear the chick on the cover here is a keldon woman who contributes to the war that Urza helped with against the keldons. I don't know.

Next is the Invasion cycle, where Phyrexia begins its invasion of dominaria. They start opening up planar gates to dominaria, and sending through soldiers. People figure that maybe New Phyrexia will start to do this at some point in the future in order for phyrexia to get of mirrodin, so look out for that in a future set. This is Invasion book 1, Invasion.

2nd in the Invasion cycle is Planeshift. I think somewhere in here or the next book, phyrexia overlays Rath and Dominaria. They literally merge the two separate universes that the planes exist in, and create a strange amalgam world made up of part Dominaria and part Rath. This give phyrexians a way to move massive amounts of soldiers at once, as beings are moved over at the same time.

3rd and the last in the Invasion cycle and in the weatherlight saga, is Apocalypse. Shit goes down in this book, man. Altogether, the payoff for the whole series of weatherlight books is worth it, I believe.

Incidentally, I love you

Not sure why I have these, as I don't think I read them, but I think the odyssey cycle deals with a small amount of the aftermath of apocalypse?
Also shows a little bit of karn after he becomes a planeswalker?

Odyssey book 2.

This set was sort of a case of "and now for something completely different"

It's like a billion years later or earlier or something and just about an entirely unrelated fantasy crisis.

100 years later.

Anyways, the whole saga is altogether a great series. You come to really love all the characters, and feel for the struggle of Urza against Phyrexia. The repercussions of the saga are felt in:

The Time Spiral crisis, which was caused when Barrin, in anger and despair over the death of his family, annihilated the temporally unstable island of Tolaria (I think).

The New Phyrexia war, where the last remaining bit of Phyrexia traveled within Karn to the new plane he created, Mirrodin, and infected the plane of metal, reviving the evil once again.

The Mending, which depowered planeswalkers to just slightly more powerful mages that can cross the planes. This was a result of the Time Spiral crisis.

So much came of the weatherlight saga, and Time Spiral block, which I consider to be the best of all blocks so far with its inventive use of mechanics, and amazing cards and flavour, could only be done because of the legacy of the flavour built up from all the sets previous from alpha up. There was real flavour in the cards, and the stories in the books gave more personality to the characters you got to play in the game, not just the planeswalkers. Characters like Saffi, Crovax, and others who appeared in the books gave you a look into the lives of the people on the plane you just don't quite get anymore.
I don't think wizards can ever really do another time spiral like set again, as the connection to the people of the plane, all the references to old lore and flavour, simply can't be made. The stuff to reference doesn't exist! The best you can do is a 'Return to X', which I suppose will have to suffice.

I just wish we could have stories about the people of these planes, not about the special snowflake planeswalkers with abilities far beyond our own. Gerrard was a man, not a god, and though Urza was great to follow, he had more personality than the new walkers. Well, I don't know, I guess that's just my opinion.

Next up is my favourite of the post-saga book series, the original Ravnica cycle. These books follow Agrus Kos, a grizzled veteran of the Wojek police that patrol Ravnica. He's altogether a great character, and him and the other characters in these books would have been great to see in new Rav. Unfortunately I think we got 1 reference to Feather in an UR, and I guess Jarad got an ok card. No ghost Kos though. At least Teysa got a prominent showing.
Book 1, Ravnica.

Greven is introduced in Tempest. He's even on the cover of Rath and Storm. Nemesis doesn't really introduce anyone except Belbe, Ertai's Phyrexian waifu made out of the reanimated corpse of Eladamri's daughter.

This book (this whole expansion, really) is such a mystery to me. Nothing happens in it. No set in the Masques cycle has the same setting or characters as the other two (apart from Volrath, briefly) but Prohecy was just a bunch of completely irrelevant characters never seen before or since.

Rav book 2, Guildpact.

Torment is actually a pretty good book, against all odds. Skip Odyssey and Judgment; they're ecch.

Pls ignore the weird facebook thing at the beginning.

There was I think one reference to Kos in new Rav, and it's on Thespians stage, referencing the end of the first book (I think).

Rav cycle book 3, Dissension.

Kinda sucks that's the only one I don't have, then.

Well anyways, that's all the books I have for you folks. If anyone has anymore of the other cycles, please do post them, I'm always looking to archive and read more old mtg lore.

Actually, I'm going to have a look through some of my storage folders, I may have some of the old fallen empires comics that explain the dragon planeswalker Urza kills to make soul bombs.

POST LORWYN!

Oh wow. I actually have a lot of different comics for old sets. I'll dump them in a few, the list is:
Antiquities: War on the World of MTG
Arabian Nights on the World of MTG
Elder Dragons: A MTG Legend
Fallen Empires on the World of MTG
Ice Age on the World of MTG
Legend of Jedit Ojanen on the World of MTG
MTG Gerrard's Quest
MTG Shandalar
MTG The Shadow Mage
MTG Wayfarer
Urza-Mishra War on the World of MTG
Convocations - A MTG Gallery
Dakkon Blackblade on the World of MTG
Fallen Angel on the World of MTG
Homelands on the World of MTG
MTG Nightmare
Serra Angel on the World of MTG

Some of the comics have internal art by:
Richard Kane Ferguson, artist of Dakkon Blackblade
Rebecca Guay, popular classic MTG artist

prophecy was a poorly written lead-in to invasion. if I remember right it sets up where barrin was just before shit hit the fan, and the war with the keldons included a plague spreading that was first blamed on one side of the battle (i think the keldons? were they supposed to be sympathetic in this book?), but then turned out to be infecting them just as badly. it was a mystery what could be doing it until it turned out to be phyrexians. it's mentioned on a few pieces of flavor text too. the book and set make sense, they're just horribly executed

Actually, I think I'll just put them in a mega (if I can figure it out).

I think this is the right way to set up a mega, but tell me if it isn't.

mega.nz/#F!ixMkzaDD!h8c2qci9Tq0R-QZeb5XPyA

Also here's the books in a folder if ya want them all.

mega.nz/#F!nkN1gQIY!TwdhRt7TnIUyZ2J5oEOjuQ

You're a godsend user!! I'm at work right now but I will check the mega to see if it's all uploaded properly

>godsend
Always wanted to read that one. Anyone got it?