/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Gold token edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Have you guys come up with some cool meld designs?

I was thinking about a black ooze and a green ooze that meld into what's essentially the Blob from the same-named movie.

What ideas have you had?

How bad an idea is this?
>~'s power and toughness are each equal to your starting life total.
>~ gets -X/-X, where X is your life total.
So, basically a scaling Death's Shadow. Alternatively, losing the first ability and keeping the second, but setting P/T to 20.

Warning, shitty fanfic alert: Nahiri and Thalia meld into a new (non-Eldrazi) Avacyn.

There's nothing technically wrong with that. Like, it works in the rules just fine.

As far as power, it really just depends on how you cost it. It's basically exactly Death's Shadow with +7/+7. With no other abilities, at rare, I'd probably start it at 4BB.

Finished the set, so I'm gonna go ahead and do a full dump. Let me know what you guys think. DFCs are in a separate collage for simplicity's sake.

Starting with the commons.

Now uncommons.

Rares.

Mythics.

And DFCs. This completes the block. It's been a hell of a process, but I had a lot of fun, and I appreciate all of the help and feedback!

A good one?

For obvious reasons I'm not going to do card reviews outside of extreme outliers of power/broken/etc.

>Tribal themes
>Wizard, Soldier, Mercenary, Shaman and... g- griffin?!
weird shit. Five equipments at common is really asking for some janky as fuck limited decks.

CB13 Grasp of the Void is hilariously terrible. I mean yeah it makes sense in the environment but w o w.

>Green mercenaries
having horrible flashbacks of ye olde threads.

Okay now that me being triggered is over with getting into the real thoughts;

Overall the set feels unique in its identity. It has a mechanical sort of clarity to it that I like somewhat.

The mechanics are incredibly low-impact, and some of them are drawback. I wouldn't get much hype for this set, but I would be interested. Of all the sets in the past I would relate this too, I'd actually stick it next to Kamigawa. That is; in-format everything looks fine together. On first glance, however, it's not very exciting mechanically. At the same time, it has the potential to age well. etc. etc.

One thing however that it doesn't nail like Kamigawa did is flavor. Looking over these cards I get a general sense of "Oh look it's a fantasy universe" syndrome. It seems like you focused a lot on mechanics and forgot to really nail some flavor themes that are clear, obvious and most importantly distinct. So that might be somewhere to work on.

oh also could you generate a pack & post it? Or a few packs and stitch 'em together so I can get a sense of how the packs might feel for picks etc. More feedback may come of it.

I agree

Oops, meant to reply to

Is
>Whenever you extort, [effect]
possible ?
If yes, then is
>Whenever you extort, you may lose 1 life and draw a card instead
possible too ?

I have in the idea that Extort works the same way as Investigate

For a replacement effect, it would need to be an "If". Personally, I think you'd be better off just not making it an extort card at that point. The "Whenever you extort, [effect]" should work as written.

I think it should work with Extort, rather than replacing it, just factor in Extort among the cost. Something like:

>Whenever you extort, you may pay 3 life. If you do, draw a card.

>Personally, I think you'd be better off just not making it an extort card at that point.
I want it to interact with the actual extort cards in my set

Thanks for the answer

Does a card like this seem playable in any format? Or does it seem too underwhelming?

How's the power level on this card?

Technically the game doesn't know when you "extort", but it only needs a trivial rules addition. (Abilities like Devour and Evolve have additional rules that define what "this devours" and " this evolves" mean).

I agree that the card draw should be a triggered ability rather than replacement.

Raud is neat.

Dalus is meh, and I'm not entirely sure the "reveal from anywhere" ability works with regard to face-down exiled cards.

Hallos has a lot of its thunder stolen by Odric. The anthem should just be +X/+X since it already has square stats, and most pumps in those colors are square.

Sevros - "You may cast noncreature, nonland cards as though they had flash". Or list out the card types. Spells aren't cards, so when it's on the stack it loses flash and becomes an illegal casting. The only purpose to do it this way is if you have flash tribal for some reason. Other than that, I like the card a lot.

Vairn is simple and effective. Kudos.

>Sevros - "You may cast noncreature, nonland cards as though they had flash". Or list out the card types. Spells aren't cards, so when it's on the stack it loses flash and becomes an illegal casting. The only purpose to do it this way is if you have flash tribal for some reason. Other than that, I like the card a lot.
It's the Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir wording, rather than the usual psuedo-flash granting wording. It works for creature cards, so it should work for any other qualifying group of cards.

Sure thing, man. Here you go. And I appreciate your feedback on the set as a whole.

Decided to down PWs again. The one on the left is pretty much finalized, the one on the right is much newer. I've been wondering, for the one on the right, if I should shift focus from the Lizards and having big creatures to something else, like summoning lots of smaller tokens, what with her being "tribal" and all.

An idea came to me. It's retarded, I know, but I still find it funny.

cost too low
blatantly overpowered. seriously, dont go there.
this card is all over the place, either it is insanely good or a dead draw. pretty boring abilities imo but "fine" as is.
you must be joking. the extra 2 damage on battlecry feel pushed and make the powerlevel of this card way too high.
maybe let go of vigilance on this one, it makes the card abusive.
this card is ok, double reanimation is strong since she has no protection or inherent synergy and a high mana cost its fine as is.

>406.3. Exiled cards are, by default, kept face up and may be examined by any player at any time. Cards "exiled face down" can't be examined by any player except when instructions allow it. A card exiled face down has no characteristics, but the spell or ability that exiled it may allow it to be cast from exile. Unless that card is being cast face down (see rule 707.4), the card is turned face up just before the player announces that he or she is casting the spell (see rule 601.2).

>A card exiled face down has no characteristics

Dalus can't be revealed if it's face down in Exile, because it has no abilities at that time. The wording is "reveal" so it works in your hand, but also so it doesn't have to directly reference the command zone. It's fine if it doesn't work in face down exile, since that's not a huge concern.

I decided to go in a completely different direction for Hallos, since Odric does have that covered pretty well.

Good call on "noncreature, nonland", flashing lands could be dangerous. The wording should be fine as is correct and I lifted it straight from Teferi, but Teferi is really the only card that has it written that way, so I'll change it just to keep with the more common wording.

It's a shame that I can't think in a nice white card to finish this cycle of Marshals

>flashing lands could be dangerous.
How? Aluren and Dryad Arbor. Nothing breaks.

Oh my lord. It's
>Whenever another [color] creature, [...]

Sorry, I didn't knew the correct wording. But what about the cards abilities?

It's not a matter of it breaking the rules, but of being potentially too strong. You can only flash four Dryad Arbors, and they have summoning sickness.

How is it too strong though? The only way to really take advantage of it is lands with ETB abilities.

The Black one seems like really poor design, and the Green one isn't even Green. Making creatures hit their controllers is BR. Though the wording is so poor I could be misreading it. Overall, they should all probably be rare, and their abilities should probably be rebalanced. Also, make their abilities all have the same triggers, except for color.

It's essentially surprise mana.

...And?
>Surprise! Bet you didn't expect me to have mana on my turn!
I mean, it's not like you can interact with it at all.

All I said was that it "could" be dangerous. It's something that would need to be hashed out in playtesting.

>The Black one seems like really poor design
Why? Too strong? Too weak? Abusable?

>the Green one isn't even Green. Making creatures hit their controllers is BR. Though the wording is so poor I could be misreading it.

The Green one is suposed to give "super trample" to creatures like Lone Wolk had, but I didn't found a way to give it a modern wording and give it a "combat damage to a player" trigger.

>Overall, they should all probably be rare, and their abilities should probably be rebalanced.

I don't really want to make them rare because they're supposed to be overcosted and be "build around me" uncommons on Limited.

if you want us to take the time to give you feedback, do basic fucking proofreading

Dude, calm down. I just mistaken "other" with "another". No need to be rude.

posted the wrong one
I'm having trouble making this a flash land for 3 life without it providing ramp or being way too wordy, this is where i'm at, but on the draw its ramp.

I had it skip your NEXT land drop, which would be more functional, but also much more powerful, and it seemed too strong. Especially since this is already pushing it imo

Since i'm apparently retarded today, compare them if you want.

>manaless blue ramp
WHAT
COULD
POSSIBLY
GO
WRONG
?

If you actually wanted to do something like this, you would probably have to sacrifice a land.

You can play multiples and let the Legend rule take the tapped ones.

This should most likely be Red or Green.
It definitely should not be Blue.
Blue is obviously the color that wants it most, but Blue probably also wants Enchantment removal.

>Black
Weak. Larceny is better and it's overcosted. You could seriously just keep it at its current cost and body and make it
>Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
And it would be loads better.

>Green
>"super trample"
>Lone Wolk
I assume you mean "Lone Wolf." In which case, I offer this substitution:
>Whenever another green creature you control attacks, it deals damage equal to its power to defending player.
Though I'm honestly not certain if that's mono-Green or not. But it's essentially super Trample that allows the creatures to retain their normal combat damage.

>I don't really want to make them rare because they're supposed to be overcosted and be "build around me" uncommons on Limited.
This seems like a bad idea. Do you seriously want really good abilities on uncommons? I mean, think about it. How are they going to be "build-around" if they're so common everyone has multiples of them?

Now, I'm obviously not that guy, but he does have a point. Look at cards that have already been made, do some searching. If you can't care enough about your cards to do some basic searching to make sure you have proper wording beforehand, why should any of us care enough to help you develop them?

Regarding allowing to "cast a land card as though it had flash", that does nothing. Playing a land isn't casting a spell, but a special action that has its own timing restriction. You can't cast lands, and you can't cast Dryad Arbor (because its a land, CR 305.9), so granting cards pseudo-flash doesn't do anything.

However, granting a land true Flash DOES let you flash it in (because Flash's CR wording uses PLAY and not CAST). However, you can only flash it on your turn, as you can't ever play a land on your opponent's turn, due to rule 305.3.
>305.3. A player can’t play a land, for any reason, if it isn’t his or her turn. Ignore any part of an effect that instructs a player to do so.

So basically, a land can't have the ability he's looking for on the same card.

I was the guy who mentioned Aluren, and I'm aware of that rule. Which is why I was aguing that allowing lands to be played with Flash wouldn't be that bad.

>Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
Well, I thought that a "punisher" mechanic would be cool, but maybe the cost was too high for that.

>Whenever another green creature you control attacks, it deals damage equal to its power to defending player.
Eh. I want to maintain the "deals combat damage" trigger. What about this instead?

>This seems like a bad idea. Do you seriously want really good abilities on uncommons? I mean, think about it. How are they going to be "build-around" if they're so common everyone has multiples of them?
I'm talking about "build around me uncommons" like the Paragon cycle from M15. But I think that you're right, those abilities are too good for uncommon.

>Now, I'm obviously not that guy, but he does have a point. Look at cards that have already been made, do some searching. If you can't care enough about your cards to do some basic searching to make sure you have proper wording beforehand, why should any of us care enough to help you develop them?
Look, I've been playing a lot of Yugioh nowadays and they use "other" instead of "another". (eg. Fluffal Sheep, Cyber Dragon Infinity, Fire King Fire Circle, etc.) I DO research before doing any card. I just didn't researched the "another" wording because I was sure that it was "other" for some reason. It is just ONE FUCKING WORD, there's no reason to be rude like he was.

A land can have psuedo-Flash if you allow them to be PLAYED as though they had flash (a la Aluren), and a land can have true Flash, but a land doesn't do anything with "may be CAST as though it had Flash" because you can't cast it in the first place.

But no matter what, playing a land must occur on your own turn, although you could do janky stuff like flashing in a land to get the mana needed for a counterspell when they go to destroy a creature or something.

Man, this ability is kinda hard to word. Also, is it supposed to apply to any Green creature on the battlefield, or just the ones you control? You're kinda inconsistent about that. Oh yeah, and Greatbow Doyen is precedent. I guess we could try
>Whenever another green creature [add "you control" here if you want] deals combat damage to another creature, that green creature [weird, I know, but easiest way to distinguish the creatures] deals that much damage to that creature's controller.

Ah, see! This one says "you control" so please pick one.

Also, I am kinda surprised that these things aren't color lords that also say
>Other [color] creatures you control get +1/+1.
But it's up to you man.

Yeah, they will apply to creatures "you control". I forgot about that on Powerbending Marshal.

I didn't knew about the Greatbow Doyen. I'll be using his wording.

Also, I don't think that they need the +1/+1 part since the abilities that they grant are pretty obtuse.

>Whenever another green creature deals you control
I'm sorry, but holy shit this got me laughing. Yeah, just put "deals" after "you control".

OK, yeah, this one's really fucking good. It basically turns all your creatures into repeatable removal. Very good against fragile creatures, especially utility creatures that are making your life difficult. It should at least be changed to
>[...] damage equal to its power to target creature that player controls.
Otherwise it gets out of control in multiplayer. "OK, I'll just charge at the guy with 2 creatures, and when they connect, I'll blow up this other guy's token army."

Cool.

>I'm sorry, but holy shit this got me laughing. Yeah, just put "deals" after "you control".

Ops. Fix'd.

>[...] damage equal to its power to target creature that player controls.
Fix'd.

Also, last one from the cycle. I'll be doing the white one tomorrow because I still have no idea of what should I make.

Well, no rest for the weary and all that. Thoughts on these mechanics and themes? Main theme for this set is mana cost matters; total cost, though, not just converted. So, X spells, mana sinks, stuff that cares about how much mana you spend. I'm also considering a subtheme focus on lands, since they're obviously pretty important in mana generation. Cards are very much in the rough here. All costs subject (and likely) to change.

I know, but what I think he intends is to be able to drop the land any time through its own ability. There are ways of course to have a land enter your side of the field on your opponent's turn, but again, not through its own effect.

You're mixing up two conversations.

The draw bit is fine, but I'm not sure about the Scry part. Avoiding bad draws is really useful. I might just be too conservative here though.

>White
Uh... Yeah, not sure what to do with that. Tap target permanent and it doesn't untap? Flicker? Counters?

Tend doesn't fit as a GU mechanic since U does LITERALLY NOTHING when it comes to interacting with lands. The mechanic's solely Green and if you wanted it to be multi color it'd probably be red

>The draw bit is fine, but I'm not sure about the Scry part. Avoiding bad draws is really useful. I might just be too conservative here though.

I know that, but I feel like this kind of ability should be fine in a defender creature with a high cost. Also, my set is pretty removal heavy, like RoE.

>Uh... Yeah, not sure what to do with that. Tap target permanent and it doesn't untap? Flicker? Counters?
"Freeze" tap is too blue IMO. Flicker is cool, but I already have 2~3 cards with Flicker in my set. Counters seems too generic, but may be my last resort if I can't think of anything better.

For Deepcavern Swarmcaller, you should specify that it only adds on to Instants and Sorceries, as adding that text to a permanent spell does nothing. It's a valid thing to add text to permanent spells, but most effects don't do anything unless they're worded properly for that type, and its an unintuitive interaction. You did it fine on Soulboon Elder, though.

I like Ritual.

Tend seems fine, as an expanded Bestow of sorts.

Ambush will make combat interesting, to say the least, because of pseudo-flash shenanigans abound.

Veteran Topseeker has no reason not to be an ETB trigger.

>Augment
Meh. It's basically just a trigger to pay some more mana, except it works with copies like with Storm.

>Ritual
I don't even get this one.

>Ambush
So... it just gives things Flash when you pay more for them, except it only works during combat. Not a fan.

>Tend
People didn't like Haunt, they won't like this. Just use Bestow.

>Journey
A self-Boomerang that exiles for absolutely no reason? ...Why?

>Warrens Douser
Not how this works.
>When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay X. If you do, [...]

weird cards for a weird set. I believe an effect like this already exists in MTG but heyo.

posting this guy again in a new thread

This might be actually the most useless thing ever.

>Kills the walker it copies on use.
>It's like any walker, except its mana cost is retarded to get & you can't use its loyalty abilities on the turn it enters the battlefield.
>It's like Karn/Ugin/Bolas except with 3 starting loyalty! Woah!

Congrats Timeanon. Two sets done is pretty impressive. That's a whole block. Were that sets something that more people aspired to anymore, but I honestly can't blame people for wanting to stick to themes or one-offs. Setbuilding is fun and rewarding, but only at the beginning and the end. The middle is work. It's hard. It's frustrating. And it's really miserable to have your stuff get torn apart repeatedly, even if in the end it's worth it because the set is better for it. Kudos, sir.

>right back at it
Literal madman. I remember when I first found out you were ladder guy too. I was like "how many fucking sets are you gonna make?"

>Kills the walker it copies on use.
How?

:|

That's not an answer.

>People being dumb
w e w l a d

>its type remains
:^)

seriously though this is still so useless.

It only matters if they're controlled by the same player.

704.5j If a player controls two or more planeswalkers that share a planeswalker type, that player chooses one of them, and the rest are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “planeswalker uniqueness rule.”

>this fucking guy

Thoughts?

Pic related is a callback to Darkwater Egg.

>2 mana token generator
Why do you think this is balanced?

Because I'm not very good at card balance in the slightest.

What about this guy, who I have received significantly more feedback on?

we walkerposting now? This guy's got a new version that I like.

>They control to their hand
nope. Permanent they control to its owner's hand. Can't have cards you don't own in your hand. Considering this card switches control also this is a huge deal.

Totally right, my bad on that one.

Updated Gokhin.

The 2/2 ability should cost more since it's also drawing you a card.

upped it to -2 but moved his starting loyalty to 4. Upped the ult cost by 1 also. Seems good.

some possibly retardedly powerful but also possibly balanced idea. Trying to get genuinely unique effects worked out for mythic slot ideas.

Looking at this card again, it should probably be +1 for "Each player loses 1 life" instead.

Sure, seems reasonable. Culling Scales is a 3-drop artifact that does the reverse (lowest CMC), and there's Porphyry Nodes/Drop of Honey as a 1-drop enchantment that does lowest power. Although Nodes/Drop sacs when there are no creatures.

Cost might need adjustment, but its hard to be too broken because its just so sloooow. Sure, its harder to play around because it actually gets rid of more dangerous threats first, but it also dies so easily.