Horus Heresy General /hhg/

The Wrath Of Hot Pockets III: Hot Pocket's Revenge Edition
Captain Catachan Sub-Edition
In the previous thread I lost my sides thanks to that blog GW's doing, Captain Catachan received stats, the quality of Breachers and Assault Marines were put into question, an user got help on deciding between Word Bears and DG, we tried something new but that lead to the edition title, fanmade Primarch rules were posted, talk on Reavers was made, a SoH player posted his minis, a Sally cent dual wielding a dragonscale and boarding shield isn't OP and more in the last thread Links:
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fs15Jqk1t%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23!Jx1UGCTI!vMJN89z7p8tiEC7YOAj477g6RxDtJ7culVLF3q3godg
HH Book 6 - Retribution PDF:
mediafire.com/download/8aqx9j3a8erqv8d/The_Horus_Heresy_Book_6_-_Retribution.pdf or
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fkat.cr%2Fthe-horus-heresy-book-6-retribution-pdf-t12199249.html
HHG FAQ - pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8
Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016) - forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf
Other official downloads: forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads#horusheresy
HH Rules:
Crusade Army List: mediafire.com/download/1lprm5vd99yafa3/
Mechanicum Taghmata Army List: mega.nz/#!LFwTjQ7B!mF0eVOY8P1MPT0a-QSXypXo_ZfskhYynD41PrkaTbD8
30k/40k Rules: mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
30k/40k Rules and more (torrents): kat.cr/usearch/"Forge World" heresy user:epistolary/
30k Black Library: mega.nz/#F!0RlxDZQC!qAu9BaubWa3KeihJRmOcsg
Strawpoll link: strawpoll.me/10558764

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sWhYQwoA8J0
youtu.be/-b7TaLjdXMc
battlebunnies.blogspot.mx/2016/02/pre-knight-errant-nathaniel-garro-pre.html
adventure.nationalgeographic.com/2008/02/gustave-update/michael-mcrae-text
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Who /midnightclad/ here?

You called for Captain Catachan?

Hunger Games probably won't happen again.

Hot pockets banned me for rule violation #3, I'd appeal the shit out of it because /pol/ mods are allowing it therefore making it clearly not just /b/ shit. Regardless I doubt we'll be able to play it on the independent threat without massive mod REEEEEE.

Be nice if the mods would explain themselves without only communicating through bans

How did it violate Global Rule #3? It had nothing to do with post #s or Gets!

That's why I wish the mods would explain themselves. It clearly violated no stated rule and they had no grounds to ban other than the fact that they could.

If they simply don't want it on Veeky Forums they should make it a board rule and no one would have an issue. But just to ban and then randomly click a Global Rule makes no sense or provides any clarity on if a stand alone thread would be fine or not.

2500 points of Ironwing, really hard to make a list out of this RoW.

HQ 185pts

Delegatus, Refractor Field 75pts

Damocles Rhino, Extra Armour 110pts

Troops 380pts

Tactical Squad, Rhino 190pts

Tactical Squad, Rhino 190pts

Elites 340pts

2x Cortus Dreadnought, Chainfist, DCCW, Graviton Gun, Heavy Flamer 340pts

Fast Attack 505pts

Seeker Squad, 4x Combi-weapon, Land Raider Proteus, Armoured Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive, Explorator Augury Web, Extra Armour 505pts

Heavy Support 1090pts

3x Medusa, Auxiliary Drive 495pts

Leviathan Dreadnought, Armoured Ceramite, Drop Pod, Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger 375pts

Sicaran Venator, Armoured Ceramite, Auxiliary Drive 220pts

Do you want a sequel? Do you want The Wrath of Hot Pockets IV: A New Mircowave?

In Pharos the Night Lords are described as having the lightning patterns hololithically (or whatever) projected onto their armour. Can someone explain this? Are there micro-projectors tactfully hidden away in the banding of the power armour, or do the ceramite plates have some kind of futuristic LCD screens over the top of them that flash every now and again?

And what's the point? I get the flayed skin and the skins, those would be unnerving to see. But lightning is one of the weaker ways to terrorise populations, given it's a natural occurance and largely benign. I get that it's a style thing, I do, so I guess what I'm asking is what are other people's head cannon regarding the how and why of the lightning.

Strobe lights would presumably be rather effective at disorientating and flustering recently sleeping civilians I guess. Maybe that's the effect of the lightning?

*skulls, not more skin.

Wait it's not paint?
>where is the projector
The edge(s).
>your headcanon
That's what I'm going with. Strobe light NLs.

Whatre you guys working on today?

I got all this put together

youtube.com/watch?v=sWhYQwoA8J0
I thought it was like vid related (escentially a toy flashy lightning generator), and then they switched to paint.
The scary part of lightning is actually the thunder, so I'd say it's some flashy form of warpaint. I mean, it does look cool, especially in the dark.
And if you operate in the dark, how else would the enemy see your war paint if it doesn't shine in some way?

That's cool man, bet that took a while. Do you pin your models together? That for me is the most time consuming thing, that and trimming bloody flash and moldlines off MkII & III backpacks.

I will be making 10 beakie tacs with extra CCW's. Bit of a process when I don't have any CCW arms in MkVI but I'm no armour mark-mixing pleb.

This makes sense.

14th for the true spirit of the XIVth

looks way better than the KE scheme

Nice. I love the Death Guard color scheme.

Be warned that the new janitor will ban you under Global #3.

Why are these guys bad again?

Expensive and hurt daemons and psykers.

Mentioning global rule 3 is also violation of global rule 3.

>damages psykers and daemons
>is in the only army that regularly has psykers and daemons
It might be not-awful when theres thousand sons around, but even then its pretty mediocre for its points cost

You just mentioned Global Rule #3 too! Shoot, I just mentioned it!

Eh, anyways back on topic.

What said. It's overcosted, hurts Daemons and Psykers in the legion filled with Daemons and Psykers.

Also, why can't Diabolists use Malefic Daemonology?

>Also, why can't Diabolists use Malefic Daemonology?
too powerful/dangerous for baby psykers

But they're actual Daemons, unlike all other units that can use it in a Word Bearers army, with the exception of Zardu Layak.

>implying magick isn't always dangerous unless you're either Emps or Malcador

>Global Rule #3 is: (You) don't talk about Global Rule #3

Its rules are really autistic, though. But its weapons are quite nice.

It really is like Salamanders not gaining boost with flamers, isn't it?

>what happened with EC?
There used to be a power creep with the four HH1 legions (SoH, DG, EC & WE) due to FW not really knowing what it wanted for 30k back then (and not really knowing how to implement it either, given how HH1 was pretty much experimental rules later revised and amended). Example: Justaerin and Phoenix termies used to be overcosted shit.

Now Justaerin are merely somewhat expensive :^)

Also, use this thread now.

You're a pretty cool guy :) what legion do you play again?

IW & DG
...kind of...

Zardu Layak is cool too. He's pretty much the only tr8tor I'd be interested in.

Justaerin are borderline overpowered now, imo. Palatine blades are the ones that are only slightly overcosted (arguably).

But yeah, the legions that came out in books 2 and later were more powerful than the original four – or at least three of the four. Death Guard have always been decent. World Eaters, EC, and SoH needed some help and they got it. Some people would like EC to get more help, but being a finesse army fits them well.

Assault marines still need help.

WE didnt get any help 2bh

What do you mean by kind of? Zardu is the best FW HH model imo, either him or Guilliman or Garro.

I don't find Justaerin overpowered, admittedly my only SoH opponent isnt that great at the game and i usually just Typhon them off the board as soon as they appear

Justaerin are just as powerful as they probably should be, I think part of the problem is generic terminators are slightly over costed, and land raiders are a shit

Not to mention the SoH having absolutely top of the class LA rules, with arguably only BA having equally strong rules

In my opinion, the best model is The Warmaster himself. He just looks so amazing in the official pics.

All comments and criticisms welcome.
THE VAULTS OPEN
As the fleets of the Warmaster breach the sanctity of the Solar System, Rogal Dorn unseals the Thunder Armories of Terra, unleashing the most powerful energy weapons forged by Man. Meanwhile, Fabricator-General Kelbor-Hal, under the tutelage of the Chaplain Erebus, cracks open the ancient Tech-Vaults deep in the depths of the Martian Forges and begins daemonically replicating powerful weaponry for the Warmaster.
GENERAL EFFECTS:
All plasma and volkite weapon upgrades for ALL units/characters/vehicles have their prices reduced (20%).
Tactical Support Squads lose the Support Squad rule and can be used as compulsory scoring infantry.
LOYALISTS ONLY:
Any Tactical Support Squad fully outfit with Plasma Guns may exchange them for Solaris-Patter Plasma Rifles for an additional +10 points per model. These advanced Plasma weapons do not suffer from the Gets Hot! Special rule, but exude a rad field causing -1 T for all models in the squad and any unit within 5”. Any other unit/character that can be equipped with Plasma Guns may take these as an upgrade as well at +10 points IN ADDITION TO the cost of taking Plasma Guns.
Any Tactical Support Squad fully outfit with Volkite Calivers may exchange them for Volkite Sakers for an additional +5 points per model. STATS: S6 AP4 Heavy 3, 35” range. These weapons suffer from Gets Hot!
TRAITORS ONLY:
Legion Tactical Squads can exchange ALL bolters for Volkite Vipers at the cost of +10 points per model. These daemon weapons are Volkite Chargers at Assault 3 and an additional 10” range. These weapons suffer from the Warped! Special rule, which functions just like Gets Hot! except ONLY a FNP save may be used. In addition, any unit/character with access to volkite chargers may take them at +10 points per model.
LIMITATIONS (ALL PARTIES)
No Model (except special characters) may be equipped with Terminator Armor
No unit may take a dedicated transport.
No Fast Attack choices

It's pretty cool. What's it for?

>tfw I'd never use the rules for traitors on there as I hate Gets Hot! and any variation of it.

Literally turd, way to complicated to keep track of, 10% points discount but then add on 10 points per model, have fun keeping track of that.

No Gets Hot for 10 points isn't worth -1T.

Limitations are totally arbitrary.

What is your point with this, to allow crazy weapons or to remove the support squad rule?

>10%
I meant 20% but whatever.

Basically a RoW for stupid amounts of volkite/plasma and footslogging marines, which are my 30k fetishes.

I share your hatred of Gets Hot! as well, I just thought it would be fluffy. The Vipers especially, they're meant to be one of the first daemon-bound creations of the DarkMech, so I figured they'd fail pretty hard the first time around and end up spawning half the Warmaster's army, all while saying
'0110110001101111011011000010000001101111011011110111000001110011'

Justaerin are very powerful unit, however, the only job unique to them is being a WS5 S5 Power claw MEQ killer unit, as other squads shoot as good as them, or use Power Fist almost as good as them but aren't as prohibitively expensive as them. It helps that SoH have killy Termies overall.

Now that I got you talking about the SoH, would you say they're one of the top legions or something?

As in I haven't yet bought my anything. Yet.

Typhons are OP too!

SoH are top of the food chain, GOAT Primarch, two great RoW, two great special units, arguably the best legiones rules, more access to dreadclaw DTs that don't eat FA slots

Their only duds are their characters either not being fightier/supportier than others, and Baneposting bolter rounds being kind of meh

Basically yes, but I'll revise as I keep getting feedback. Considering just making plasma/volkite upgrades free, allowing terminator armor, and possibly adding some rage to the Solaris, maybe another 5"

:^) hence the >admittedly addendum.
Even without the Typhon, they're not that great, before i had it i just had a pod full of plasma support that could cull them down almost as efficiently. Admittedly, i run shooty IW, so i dont have any massive, expensive melee deathstars

So why do I keep hearing Night Lords suck? +1 to wound/hit and +1I during Night Fighting with the RoW is amazing, fear is a great bonus too in 30k. Their RoWs might be a bit weak but their units are awesome.

So whats the deal?.

Because this
>. While Night Lords make for a great anti-infantry force, you'll probably start losing most of your advantages against horde GEQ armies, who outnumber YOU and were poorer melee combatants which you would tear apart anyway, or against opponents who bring heavier vehicles/ordnance to the field, which Night Lord special units will have problems facing, forcing you to revert to "standard" space marine tactics.
Also, Fears means little to Ld9/8. They can pull some sweet stuff, though, I wouldn't say they suck.

Even unlisted legions can do fine.

Even that outnumbered in melee thing isn't that big of a deal given how many volkite squads they can shove onto the field to deal with GEQs

3 Medusa's and 3 Thudd Guns armed with Phosphex.

Can't wait to reenact this scene: youtu.be/-b7TaLjdXMc

>So why do I keep hearing Night Lords suck?
because people are morons

night lords are one of the top tier legions and terror assault is great

Nice thing about being a mod is you don't have to explain yourself to the fucking peasants bitch.
Deal with it.

This. This times a million. Great model user. Well done.

Forgot the pic. Early bloody NL ftw
>Full Night Raptor unit counts as 30 dudes.
>Gain D3 attacks on the charge
>Up to 75 power weapon attacks that also have +1 to wound and to hit.
Well, Lightnings can deal with all the AV you may face, right?

>the janny has returned.

I think you've just violated global rule #3 good sir.

They aren't. Just WB players whine about them because they all count on a squad or three of Gal Vorbak to carry their armies, and this guy makes you choose one or the other. Instead of shoving a bunch of point and click units into an army, then sitting back and admiring their Uber cheesy 'fluffy' list

Reading Angel Exterminatus, and I didn't realize how cuddly Pert is deep down with his cute little tinkering toy collection + I like how his legion reflects that architect craftsmanship in their culture, I didn't really get that from reading the FW faction synopsis in the game books desu.

>BA
>top class LA rules
Nigga what? When I think too level LA rules, I think WS. I think AL or IF. Not BA, the "oh yeah you can't take 50% of the Rites of War for S&Gs, and your one other rule ONLY works in combat". Spamming assault cannons will get culled by their REAL FW book.

Agreed. I hope the new Red Book raises their price to 450, 475 points. Anything to get those damn things out of 2000 point games

He is also literally autistic

He has mood swings.
He's not. He's just a bitter nerd who takes his frustration out on others.

Even Bitter Nerds would think twice before killing 10,000 of their own Marines.

Then you need it to be more than 500pts, come on dude this is basic math!.

Then you're not Iron Warrior bitter.

There's regular bitter. Then there's Pertruabo bitter.

Witness the KD ratio of success

Do marines who become dreads count as casualties, and does Pert count wounded marines as casualties?

>Less than 35% casualties means failure

Always gets me.

As a counter to IW, Dorn instilled masochism in his legion instead of decimation so both legions are predisposed to the meatgrinder. One assumes he is expendable and the other accepts that pain cleanses the body and both are willing to suffer.

Except one kills.

Yup. Imagine if it wasn't so.
>My Primarch, 80% of the company is a casualty
>>You mean they're dead or otherwise hurt?
>No, my Primarch, this is according to your new casualty definition. It is the 20% that survived the ones who are hurt
>>Replace their arms with augmentics or something. Also, you see the dumpster over there? That's your rearmament
>Yes, my Primarch. Where should we go next?
>>Actually right here. It's garrison time. All twelve of you.
>My Primarch, why do you always accept the Warmaster's orders without even complaining once?
>>And betray the only one of those dipshits that call themselves my "brothers" who didn't ostracized me?! Even that iliterate furgag Wolf-something took the emofag's side! They erased my name from the order of battle!
>It could help if you didn't call them "dipshits", my Primarch
>>I could very much punch your head off, marine, but not even I am so autistic as that closeted homo.
>ʸᵒᵘ ᵈᶦᵈ ᵒʳᵈᵉʳᵉᵈ ᵘˢ ᵗᵒ ᵏᶦᶫᶫ ᵃ ᵗᵉᶰᵗʰ ᵒᶠ ᵒᵘʳ ᵒʷᶰ ᶠᵒʳ ᶰᵒᵗ ᵇᵉᶦᶰᵍ ᵂᴬᴬᶜᶠᵃᵍˢ ᵗʰᵒᵘᵍʰ⋅⋅⋅
>>You can't mention that anymore, marine! It breaks Galactic Rule #3. *End of communicatus*
>Gee, he was unusually HAPPY today. I swear I only follow him because he serves the Emperor...

He's not the most likeable of men...

>Both are willing to suffer
"I long ago surrendered hope of anything being easy, Commander. Still, we shall prevail this day."
Damn Eldar

What are the cape/shoulder pads from?

>He's not. He's just a bitter nerd who takes his frustration out on others.
thats what he said, autistic.

Me bad at math.
Me leave now.

I'm thinking most of Pert's frustration comes from him being frustrated at himself.

The cape appears to be greenstuff. The complete tutorial is here.
battlebunnies.blogspot.mx/2016/02/pre-knight-errant-nathaniel-garro-pre.html
It seems some Drake Seta did it.

That isn't autism though.

I think it is "being a 200 year old child". Not healty either.

I liked what you did there at the end.
Not really. Faggot. Bitch more about the mods why don't you.
They are the only Law stopping this hell hole from truly descending into anarchy

I want to doubt it was BL's intention to make the Primarchs into manchildren unless they wanted us to argue about this subject and make us hate them.

sure it is.

but pert overcame his mental disability and was able to turn himself into a shitty primarch who killed his own men, lost the heresy, and sulked for 10k years. so all in all hes one of the most successful primarchs. :^)

Success in strokes I guess.

I'm sure BL had to make the Primarchs manchildren because it's the easiest way to plot out conflict for novels. Honestly I was really enjoying Horus Rising. Loken seemed like the bro honorable soldier just doing his job, and the relationship between Horus and the Mournival far surpassed my expectations for a 40k novel...Horus was so smart in the first book, he seemed like a REAL character and I could believe his larger-than-life personality. Abaddon and the Mournival were never really seemed like "good" people but a believable shade of grey.

And then Galaxy in Flames, or whatever was book two started fucking it all up. Dan Abnett set up this great series, but the fact that we KNOW Horus gets corrupted by Chaos, Abby goes evil, Fulgrim goes wacky and kills Ferrus, etc. etc. I feel like the BL novels fuck up the transition from point A to point B. Horus' visions where he's corrupted by Chaos in a fucking fever dream was bullshit. Maybe that's canon, I don't know, but after setting up these amazing characters they fucking butcher it by having them go from demi-gods with flaws to daddy issue-ridden manchildren over a few shitty pages of ~corruption~

sorry for the rant I had a red bull after work

>I'm sure BL had to make the Primarchs manchildren because it's the easiest way to plot out conflict for novels.
Those lazy niggas.
>Honestly I was really enjoying Horus Rising. Loken seemed like the bro honorable soldier just doing his job, and the relationship between Horus and the Mournival far surpassed my expectations for a 40k novel...Horus was so smart in the first book, he seemed like a REAL character and I could believe his larger-than-life personality. Abaddon and the Mournival were never really seemed like "good" people but a believable shade of grey.
That's why I loved Horus Rising. Marine banter and Horus being Super Dad is what made it for me.
>Abaddon and the Mournival were never really seemed like "good" people but a believable shade of grey.
>implying Tarik is in a grey area
>I feel like the BL novels fuck up the transition from point A to point B. Horus' visions where he's corrupted by Chaos in a fucking fever dream was bullshit. Maybe that's canon, I don't know, but after setting up these amazing characters they fucking butcher it by having them go from demi-gods with flaws to daddy issue-ridden manchildren over a few shitty pages of ~corruption~
Exactly. Their execution is what went wrong and what got us to novel 38 after Horus Rising came out in what 2008? Your rant is forgiven

its because all of the BL writers besides dan abnett are complete shit, and their editor is literally a retard.

theyd have been better off just letting abnett write 10 books and call it done there.

Easy there friend. Let's not forget that Abnett was the one that thought Perpetuals, the cabal, everyone being Alpharius, and Imperium Secundus were all good ideas

>theyd have been better off just letting abnett write 10 books and call it done there.
But wouldn't this series end up like Gaunt's Ghosts?

unpopular opinion, but I liked the whole everyone was Alpharius thing. I just don't like the meme it Perpetuated (heh) online. but I the beginning of the Legion novel was great. gave a really different feel from all the other legions being shown so far. It was how Abnett resolved the conflict with WOOO WE HAVE TO BE BAD TO SAVE THE UNIVERSE! bullshit.

But also this.

Eh. That's the thing about opinions mate. They're like assholes.
I believe him. I'm a 911 dispatcher and this sort of shit is commonplace where I live.

>everyone being Alpharius
That was always canon anyway, and it was one of the best-executed concepts in the whole damn series.

>I believe him. I'm a 911 dispatcher and this sort of shit is commonplace where I live.
Where do you live?
>captcha included either a croc or a gator
Gustave is sending us his regards.

It's a neat concept, but is pants on head retarded for any military body to do this and think it's a good idea. Especially space military.
Southern US. That's all I'll say.

I'll take that. Have one more Star Wars edit.

Wait, you're not the real Curzefag!

Thanks mate. I appreciate that.
I'm not? How could you possibly know that?

>Thanks mate. I appreciate that.
Have enough. Otherwise I'd post a picture of the Khorne worshiping crocodile with a body count of 300.

It's in the way you post, as well as using This instead of That.

Indeed, it would seem as if it's elementary, my dear user.

Not gonna lie mate. I want that picture.
But what if it was all a lie, a cleverly concocted ruse to get you to lower your guard while the real Curzefag gets you from behind!!

Also, for a more on-topic discussion, I've been thinking about picking up a fluffy Salamanders army. Any thoughts on how I should build my list?

>pants on head retarded for any military body to do this and think it's a good idea. Especially space military.
Except that, uniquely, the Alpha Legion operated more like the paramilitary wing of a political faction, even during the Great Crusade and long before the Heresy. There was a kind of Realpolitik dimension to their operations that even the likes of Guilliman couldn't fully appreciate.

And for a political organization rather than a military one, I'm Alpharius is perfect. Especially a space political faction.

>Also, for a more on-topic discussion, I've been thinking about picking up a fluffy Salamanders army. Any thoughts on how I should build my list?

Yet more proof that you're not the real Curzefag.

You've failed to amuse me, and you've also a disturbing lack of Konrad worship in your posts.

>I've been thinking about picking up a fluffy Salamanders army. Any thoughts on how I should build my list?

Cassian Dracos and a shitton of deep striking dreadnoughts, use the dreadnought RoW for nothing but dreadnoughts.

My head-cannon;

Night Lords used lightning paint in the Preheresy
Some liked lightning very much
Some liked it so much that they adapted projectors because chaos fucked with their heads
Just like Deltrian puts horns and spikes on looted Salamander armour
He puts them on, but he doesn't know why

Chaos man, chaos.

>Not gonna lie mate. I want that picture.
There's not really a lot of pictures of Gustave, and I don't think this picture does him justice. Born in 1955, estimated to be in his 60s and to be 7,000 lb (3,000 kg) and has taken up murder as a hobby as some folks think that his bulk has forced him to start eating slower prey than zebras and gazelles. He went away for a while but resurfaced in 2008 and reportedly dragged a fisherman to drown him. Gustave doesn't even eat all of his victims.
>A croc of similar stature and markings killed a fisherman near Ruziba in April. "He was standing waist-deep in the lake when the croc dragged him away and drowned him," Faye recalled. "There were a lot of witnesses. They raised such a commotion that the crocodile let him go. His widow showed me pictures of the corpse. He had a nasty bite in the stomach and one in the leg." Onlookers chased Gustave away before he could finish his bloody work, Faye said, noting that Gustave doesn't always eat his victims: "I think some of his attacks could just be hunting practice."
>Gustave has yet to snatch anyone from Gatumba, but Faye has no doubt that he is the big croc responsible for these new attacks. When he's not lurking beneath the muddy waters of the Rusizi, fishing and waiting for opportunities for larger prey, he basks on his favorite sandbar, wearing what seems to be a sinister, self-satisfied grin. "I am 100 percent sure it's him," Faye said.
adventure.nationalgeographic.com/2008/02/gustave-update/michael-mcrae-text
Cracked gave a very fitting description of him.
>A living, breathing, scream-eating dinosaur that is so sick of his own immortality that he passes the time by destroying life whenever he sees it.