Magic System

How do I make a deeply hermetic, evocative, mysterious and mystical magic system that still works in the confines of a traditional game?

Other urls found in this thread:

darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/magic/antiscience.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You don't let it fall into the hands of the players, or only let them get small snippets of it.

Why can't they get it too? That's a cop out answer.

Ritual Path Magic in GURPS is the closest i've seen. I modified it a bit and use it for CoC games now.

A thought I have gone with in homebrew is there are no standard spells. There are broad sweeping descriptions of what a spell could do, with examples. Players make all their own spells within these rules, and can not share spells. Creating spells cost time and character resources.

The kind of broad categories would be stuff like:
Effects an object, effects an animal, effects a human, effects yourself

Effects one thing, effects multiple things, effects things in an area

Why not have the players create spells on the fly, by combining various effects to their liking? That gets rid of the sharing issue as well.

This has some things you might like. darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/magic/antiscience.html
I especially stress the part about making rules to magic that the players are not knowledgeable of.

>Why can't they get it too?
It's not exactly something you dive right into, it's something that hits you like rain.

If you let the players have it, you have to disclose the mechanics with them. Knowing the mechanics of it removes the mystery.

I like this, but I dislike the part about magick shouldn't be able to run out- I really like the balancing factor of magical energy being a resource, it also let's mama potions to be a thing, and cam easily be explained in lore as the person's spirit or magic energy.

Systems aren't mysterious. Either don't have a system or don't have mystery.

The system can make the magic feel mysterious, if it only describes how to interact with the magic, not how it works, etc.

If you don't know how it works the interactions are going to be inconsistent. I'd say that disqualifies it as being a system.

Inconsistent interactions are fine, and the best way to do magic IMO, but a magic system it is not.

We're in agreement then, save for the definition of 'system'.

Here's an option: eragon style.

Players only have access to a limited number of true names. You print out tile cards with strange sigils on each side of the card. Players can play a single card ("fire,") or try to combine two cards. The way the sigils line up is explained on a secret table which you have in front of you.

The only way to make magic mysterious is to make the system governing It mysterious

read "The Name of the Wind".

Go from there and figure it out for yourself. Inspiration and reflection will make it perfect for your needs.

RuneQuest 6 Animism.

It's open ended and dangerous, and involves binding NPC spirits to the player and using them to fuel magical abilities. It remains mysterious and evocative. To bind spirits you do anything from having them handed to you, making a contract with them, or defeating them in spiritual combat and taking them.

I also hope you mean some other word except for hermetic, because there is no way to make a completely confined magic system that is like any other descriptor you used. D&D magic is hermetic - you cast a spell and it does what it says it does and nothing else. You need an open system that gives many options from a single casting.

I've always loved the idea of magic being dangerous to the caster. A sort of high risk high reward.
Sure you can cast a teleport spell but you might end up summoning a demon when you arrive.
Sure you can cast a fireball spell but you might end up with moderate hemoraging

Give the players spells and the knowledge to use them but don't tell them how they work or what they do.

www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/magic/antiscience.html

Won't they figure out what they do after they use them?

>HURRR
>DURRR
Players shouldn't be even playing as magic users in the first place, because that turns magic from being a plot element into a tool and not very handy tool.
If you don't get it on your own, you shouldn't be even asking how to make magic mysterious.

Add random table/declare arbitrar decision of spell effect and they know nothing. They can guess at best.
Played something like that with few different groups, worked like a charm, because it left them enough control and gave me enough freedom to both tell the story and let them participate in it.

The magic in Beyond the Wall works pretty well for mystery. It combines many elements of d20 games and evokes an old-school feel. Mages only get a handful of "spells" but can also learn rituals and cantrips that operate rather mystically.