/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Atmora Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus or husbandos except for Ahnassi.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

imperial-library.info/content/savants-notes-vvardenfell
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'll start the thread with some concept art.

Adam Adamowicz made some pretty cool stuff. Shame he isn't around anymore, but Bethesda barely followed his concept art anyway, preferring generic roman armors for legionnaires.

Imperial legionnaires in Skyrim will always look like this in my headcanon.

The Hall of Valor did look like it should.

Sorry, gonna slip in some ESO aswell.

That's good

Also, you made the thread a bit too early

So, the Ruddy Man...

Booting up morrowind again and want to make an altmer. What was some cool shit going on in the Summerset Isles around that time?

man that axe the guy on the right has there (officer, maybe?) is fucking sweet

What is the domain of Dibella? Marriage and baby-making is Mara, and debauchery is Sanguine

>preferring generic roman armors for legionnaires.
some of his concept art IS just generic roman legionaries desu

Love, happiness, and expression of that love.

Where Sanguine will take you for a wild ride, Dibella will cuddle you afterwards.

Which is the "naked priestess" one?

if sun is a whole left by Magnus, then what the hell is the night?

>Dibella will cuddle you afterwards.
well that sounds nice

I don't think there was anything going on in the Summerset Isles at the time of Morrowind. During Oblivion's events the Aldmeri Dominion was being formed.

>the night
I think it's Oblivion surrounding Mundus but don't quote me on that, I barely know anything about TES astronomy.

Speaking of, that makes me think of something else.
Does Tamriel have... whatever the hell there equivalent would be to "Flat-Earthers"?

How are the Summerset Isles politically run?

Do they use noble houses as well or are they a different form of government?

>The Summerset Isle is a green and pleasant land of fertile farmlands, woodland parks, and ancient towers and manors. Most settlements are small and isolated, and dominated by ruling seats of the local wizard or warlord. The Isle has few good natural ports, and the natives are unwelcoming to foreigners, so the ancient, chivalric high culture of the Aldmer is little affected by modern Imperial mercantilism.

From imperial-library.info/content/savants-notes-vvardenfell

>I barely know anything about TES astronomy.
yeah, I find it really confusing too, in terms of how confusing it is to me, its up there with Talos and his duality, shezzarines, and the swordswallowing statue or akatosh

I've been gone a few weeks, anything interesting happen while I was out?

We have a drawfag! w-what's in the bag?

Delicious cromberry jelly.

Hey I drew some things too...

>Talos and his duality, shezzarines, and the swordswallowing statue or akatosh
Praise the ALSMIVI I'm not alone in not understanding some of the metaphysical stuff

It's not meant to be understood, it's meant to be interpreted.

Generally speaking, it's interpreted as an important lesson on why drugs are bad.

SPEEDY SPEED BOY

Beauty, art, poetry, sex, the human form, music (Outside of Sheogorath).

Yeah. They exist among the fan community too.

If any of you are interested, I played Morrowind high, and goddamn if that wasn't a trip.

It was probably the most immersive experience I've ever had. Especially with my robe of levitation. It was like i was there, flying weightlessly through the halls of Vivec like an astronaut in a space shuttle. I did the quest with the guy who had his pants taken from him, and I realized how absurd the situation of a flying wizards dashing around looking for some poor person's pants is.

I did a quest for the MQ but mainly did some stuff for the MG. Honestly, I didn't like fighting at all, I just liked helping people. I also cleared out the Hanin's Wake place with the ritual gone wrong. Helped out the poor Breton who was forced to eat his friends and wear a skirt. I took his hat, but let him keep the skirt for modesty, realized he'd make a good trap, thought it was weird that I was thinking that, and flew off into the sunset.

Also, I finally understood the Morag Tong. They weren't the "Good Assasin guild" they were a lawful institution to prevent the casualties of full on war, there are Telvanni Morag Tong, Redoran Morag Tong, Hlaalu Morag Tong, and probably even Dres Morag Tong. This cultural use off assassins was not only a great idea, but had a religious element to it, making it not only efficient, but sacred. This is also probably the reason Dunmer have such a cultural inclination towards short blades.

Also, from observing a kitchen in Gnisis, apparently people can eat Resin, which makes sense considering it's made of vegetable matter, but still surprising that people might eat it.

>get to sovngarde
>there's like 5 people there
For fucks sake only 5 people in the history of EVER were worthy?

Is there more to this story? I need to know.

maybe the rest got their souls recycled already, or got eaten by alduin

Why are orcs ripping off redoran architecture?

Think of it like that. There's like...40 people in all of the skyrim realm. So about 20% of the nords are worthy

>apparently people can eat Resin

Pine resin was the chewing gum of IRL olden days. Do avoid chewing urushi resin.

Why is there a waterwheel that isn't connected to a milling station?

Same guy? Playing a real 'high' elf?

Dude skooma lmao aside, Morrowind can be quite the absurd experience. I've also never thought of the Morag Tong that way, I always found it odd how it was legal for them to assasinate people.

I do like how those Nords in Bloodmoon that were turned into rocks appear there. Also, Ysgramor, High King Torygg and Jurgen Windcaller.

I do think there could've been more people, there's a lot of jarls, high kings and descendants of Ysgramor we know about.

I'm not seeing any. Maybe it's the mask.

It's the big frozen thing at the bottom of the city which doesn't seem to do anything.

Not way too much. Especially that I can remember.

I remember trying to knife fight a kwama, and then realizing that I've been using Jinkblades all wrong. You see, the Jinkblade is supposed to be an opener, so you can paralyze, switch to another weapon and kill them while they're paralyzed.

As for the flying, it was incredible. To fly as fast as possible with no limit. I could help but imagining the robe to be this ethereally floating that propelled wind out the bottom of it, like from a studio ghibli movie. I did somersaults and flips in the air, or at least in my mind and sort of in game I did.

Let's see, I sold some very strong potions to Creeper, I went and bought Progress of Truth from Jobasha and delivered it to Caius. I remember plying around, and trying to walk with out the robe, and without the Shoes of Blinding Speed. It was fun and pleasant to feel the weight on my feet, and to try walking at a normal pace helped me with immersion and made everything feel bigger.

I tried doing moon sugar, and while one would thing one would be "WOAH DUDE IT"S ALSO DRUGS" it really wasn't like that. For me, the high one would feel from Skooma would be completely different, and the thought made me a bit sad since I'm not a fan of hard drugs. Sujamma and Moon Sugar are fine, though.

Also, let me tell you, the colored candle in different parts of Vivec are a trip. I already likened it to being an astronaut weightless in a shuttle, but that didn't come close to describing the rapid changes in subtle color. I feel that that helps to section Vivec subconsciously and make it feel larger and more organized. If it was on purpose, kudos to the devs.
Yeah, I knew about that, but I never though of Resin that way. That's really cool that there's still details like this that we're still figuring out.

Morrowind really did have the most love put into it.

I thought you meant in the orc stronghold considering you were quoting me

It could be powering something inside there. A huge grain mill? IDK

Anyone have a TES RPG going on and need another person?

nirn is the centre of aurbis, magnus (the sun) is in a fixed place, but the nirn still rotates around is own axis

Oh, I thought we were just questioning odd architecture choices.

For example, wouldn't breeding and maintaining this population of skeevers, building the ramps, and keeping them alive for thousands of years be far more complicated than what's reasonable?

Haha, nah, Bretons all the way. I tried playing an Altmer, but they're too squishy for me, and the extra magicka and disease resistance (Breton's already have 50% disease resistance, due to how effects are arranged either way) don't really make it worth it, since I never actually need those things.

The thing is, anything can be magic or absurd until it becomes routine. That's why things like Siltstriders are perfectly normal for us, but for some guy who only played Skyrim, it's weird and even kind of creepy. I feel like the best way to describe what I felt would almost be child-like wonder, and it was something I hadn't felt since I fist played it on Xbox at my friend's house years ago.

The internal logic of Dunmeri society is pretty sound, and it took a bit of reading and dialogue, as well as some personal understanding of the concepts to reach that point. Maybe that and Mysticism are why Breton's and Dunmer get along better than most other races do, or maybe I'm just speaking out of my ass.

Either way, it's incredible what a world they put out there, and how much detail and effort went in to making it all seem realistic, despite the surreal elements that seem mundane to us. I believe the term is Verisimilitude.

It's very creative but good thing that wasn't actually implemented.

Wait, there is another story about how I found the Resin. It's not as interesting, and I'll have to post it after work.

Holy shit, so much stuff makes sense now.

Which races women are the sluttiest, and why is it Redguard?

Khajiit.
8 nipples

Khajiit
Barbed cocks~

Yeah, the Morag Tong are actually a completely plausible thing. The idea is to keep personal vendettas between nobles escalating into full on house war. It's just like weregild. it's not just and it's not fair, but it makes actual clan war way less likely, and is therefore ultimately an effective peacekeeping institution.

So do Orcs.

Nah, it's dunmer for sure.

This.
At least for the first part of their life

#notallkhajiit

But you've been around for more time!

Someone ask something weird, like how Wulfharth is really a Bosmer.

Daedra and Aedra roles in past kalpas

How are the Bosmer even ever relevant?

The idea stems from the theory that in each kalpa the Daedra and Aedra switch, but that doesn't actually appear to be substantiated by anything other than in-universe conjecture. While there isn't anything conclusive, it seems that, when there is change, it's not necessarily because of the cycle but because of how they are perceived by mortals. That's what separates the Alkoshs from the Auri-els.

That's not to say there can't be an upper level change, like what happened to Dagon. In that case it was even part of the kalpa cycle.

It could be the exact opposite, though.

Bosmer are always relevant

>like what happened to Dagon
what do you mean?

They were, it was just a really long time ago.

It's from Nordic myth. Dagon was once called the Leaper Demon King, and conspired to save pieces of reality from Alduin. Alduin catches him, and transforms him into Dagon who is cursed to destroy everything he once saved. That's why his sphere is destruction and he keeps invading Tamriel. Then there's everything with Mehrunes.

It's not just Dagon, though. Almost all of the Princes have something more going on than it seems.

Why exactly are you saying there are no milling stations?
There are clearly buildings on both flanks of the wheel.

Did Azura actually curse the chimer or was she simply taking credit for a side-effect of Tribunals tinkering with heart of lorkhan? I am asking because supposedly daedra dont have much power over the reality since they weren't involved in its creation, so how does she have enough power to curse an entire race like that? She isn't the strongest right, as far as I remember its Jyggalag

Well, there's Malacath as well...

That's a good question, and up there with the rest of what happened at Red Mountain. Like it, there isn't really a definitive answer. Even among their own legends there are a few different options, like those that you mentioned and completely separate origins like another mortal tricking her, or the Chimer being taught by the Three Good Daedra how better to "wear their skin."

On that note, Azura potentially has a lot more pull on reality because she's sch a big part of Dunmeri culture. That could be what enabled her to make such sweeping changes.

You should stop posting in /tesg/, the fags there will never learn to appreciate Morrowind.

Can we all agree that the Everflow Ewer is one of the most horrifying artifact in TES lore? I find it a bit disturbing that there's just a random ass vase that makes a small ocean appear from a cup of water.

It's a synthetic memory generator.

Why is there so little lore on Vaermina? she seems like a very interesting daedra, but aside from that 1 quest in skyrim, she rarely gets involved in anything, I dont think she had any quests or anything in morrowind

only some of the daedric princes had quests in morrowind

captcha: mountains

Daedra outside of those traditionally worshiped don't feature too much in Morrowind.

Both Vivec's and Alandro Sul's account of what happened point to Azura changing the skin of the Chimer.
I like to believe that the Daedra's power in the world is bestowed by how much power a society gives them. Azura who has been the central spirit of the Chimer for a long time. They let her into their way of life and from that Azura garners a lot of influence over their society.
Once the Tribunal betray her, Azura uses up all that influence given to her in sort of a goodbye gift to the Velothi, as to say "you aren't really my people anymore."

shame, I was wondering if I simply missed her quest

speaking of "her", can chimsters and/or daedra change their gender? How exactly did Vivec make babies with Molag Bal, aren't they both male?

meant for whoops

Sure they can. Vivec, the god, is a hermaphrodite. Vivec the mortal may have been too.

>Daedra
>gender

she's a cunt

It worked out in the long run.

I don't think procreation between gods requires them to be of the opposite sex.

It's probably not even a process that's anything like human procreation

In the elder scrolls universe, what happens when you die?

Depends on a lot of factors. Also who you sold your soul too possibly.

you go to whatever afterlife you believe in, and while you are there your soul is slowly recycled, then you are sent back into the world

You die in real life.

Why are Nords from the First Era still chilling in Sovngarde?

It depends on who you worshiped and what you believed. The normal process is that your soul is recycled through the dreamsleeve where the memory is stripped from it, to eventually be reused.

If you aligned yourself with an outer spirit, they can lay a claim on your soul. This is "lunar currency."

Soul splitting?

Maybe the mead and boar roasts are that good

Aetherius exists outside of Mundus, right?
Doesn't that mean it's outside of time?
When you die and go to the dreamsleeve, can you meet yourself

Yeah.

You're probably not conscious when you go there.

They aren't the most relevant race outside of Valenwood most of the time, but they've got their aspects.
Sometimes they can do spectacular chimp-outs, like with the Usurper.
And though I'm not entirely sure how bloodlines work among the Bosmer, the Camorans are nevertheless impressive. Not Ra'athim-impressive, but nevertheless incredibly ancient and important.

Unfortunately, some princes are displayed way less than they deserve. I'd love more Vaermina and Namira lore.
The thing is that a lot of the lore about princes has to do with how they play a part in religions and culture, and Vaermina isn't especially important for any culture in Tamriel.
This also means that when her presence in the lore is small, the writers tend to not focus on princes like Vaermina in favour of more established princes like Azura.

Skyrim's Vaermina quest had some fun ideas.

My problem with some of the daedric princes is that their sphere isn't properly defined (Namira, Peryite) or they're comic book villain evil (Molag Bal, Mehrunes Dagon) while most are more morally ambigous.

What is that supposed to depict