Potions

>potions
>scrolls and books
>cards
>figurines

Enough with that. Let's make new magic conainers!

>Hollow balls of clay
To apply a spell, just break the ball on its appropriate place. Yes, even if it's to cure the broken bone. You can't hit incorporeal (or very soft) creatures with those and will have problems with flying enemies. You better have a good slinger in your party. If you botched a throw, your spellball gets caught and possibly thrown back. Some nets would come in handy.

>Magic pastry
Good thing: they won't break if you drop into a 20 feet pit. Bad thing: they can get spoiled, which makes them a short-time investment. Why is that old gingerbread so dense? Well, it have been a Stoneskin gingerbread when it was fresh!

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I always enjoyed how Dark Sun had enchanted fruit that would never rot (until you consumed it) instead of potions.

the fruit would be rotten inside of you?

>Let's make inferior alternatives to scrolls and potions

Body parts. Enchantments or spells placed upon organs and bones and such so that if they are pierced or broken it triggers the spell intended. This could be anything from activating feel no pain if you break a bone to causibg a massive explosion that triggers all the other spells in the body if the heart is pierced. Enchantments can be placed three dimensionally, so you can have it so if your skin is pierced from the outside it activates stone flesh, but if it's pierced from the inside (you've alahu ackbared) it will cause yet MORE explosions.

i assume he means the rotting process starts after you take a bite, like if you leave half-eaten fruit sitting around it rots alot faster

how about magical thread? like you could have a whole class built around needlepoint with each color of thread having a different effect, or more complex designs for long-lasting charms you hang around the campsite

>let's argue for 4 hours on what happens if you mix digestive poison with antidote

digestive poison? like the kind of stuff you pour on someones arm and it disolves it?

No I'm pretty sure he means a poison that you ingest, along with an antidote that you ingest, and they both just kind of mingle in your stomach for a bit.

This is one for a more eccentric character but candy.

Your one off potions and stuff are just single pieces of chewable candy. Your longer lasting buffs are hard candy, which last proportionally long to the buff, so you can know when its about to wear off because the jolly rancher under your tongue is getting a bit sharp. If you swallow it it still works (because the gnome who made these stupid things is eccentric, not an idiot and combat is a hectic place to suck on a caramel hard candy)

I recall there being a small section in a 3.5 book, I'm almost certain the complete arcane, about this exact topic. I think it had little tablets that you snap in half, fruit potions (already mentioned), and magical knots that you undo to cast the spell.

ooh boy thats a tough one. im sure there are enough different poisons and antidotes that you cant make a general assumption, but heres a couple takes.
could be the antidote and poison have different absorption rates, if yes if the antidote takes longer you're solid, poison enters system ad then antidote. but if poison has longer youre fucked, antidote first, then poison. also possible that they dont actually have to be in your system to have opposite effects and you essentially just drank bad tasting water

Its not theme of this thread but now im thinking about enchanting territory by placing all roads and landmark to for a magical rune witch set spell in motion when something draw it on peace of paper to make a map. Like your kingdom is conquered, but new owners start to map new land and suddenly invoke spell that resurrects you and your army.

oh that would be cool, you could take it one step further and have the terrain be the runes itself. like have a system of aqueducts all around your nation, but when you have non-water flowing through them it activates the spell

Activated charcoal is one of the most common antidotes and all it really does is absorb stuff. So, you might still get poisoned, but immediate administration of the antidote means it'll probably be just mildly.

I had an idea for a spellcasting class (I called it runecaster, for lack of a better name) that prepared spells by binding energy to a breakable object. Officially a tree branch, but could be fluffed to a clay disk or glass bauble or what have you. Spells were cast by breaking the object. I never worked out how exactly it would be different from a wizard, I just liked the idea.

Also, using different types of wood gave you slight metamagic-like altered spell effects.

You can trap air that fill your lungs when you casted spell in a bottle. So you can release them anytime without concentration rolls or anything, but have to prepare them before battle. And for gods sake dont fall on that "fireball" cask.

Does it have to be my body or can I carry various severed body parts?

What if it works only if original owner of the body part is still alive.

Character must be some sort of doctor or cleric who kept maimed parts of his patients as payment.

pirates would work well for that concept "oh shit, you broke your foot? TIME TO AMPUTATE"

Anyone remember the potion miscibility from AD&D? That was fun.

archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b

I always like Shinto priests with prayer strips.

Phrase activated spell sheets.
You basically store the spell on a piece of paper/cloth, and the spell is activated once a certain phrase is said.
is the phrase too simple then the spell may go off accidentally, to obscure and you may forget it once you need it

That sounds an awful lot like a scroll.

>Magic pastry

This is cool. I could totally eat magic healing shortbread sticks.

I have no real comment but I fucking love klein bottles. Carry on OP.

well, I suppose it could be a dead body part, but the spells effectiveness degrades along with the body part, also spells with a healing effect pop once the limb begins to rot, bringing it back up to full capacity. Also, as the limb degrades it becomes much easier to accidentally trigger the spell residing within.

I'd prefer a plot where a villain tries this, but is discovered through their increasingly draconian edicts to complete the spell, which cannot be enforced due to the sheer volume of people refusing to not create incorrect paths with shortcuts (because who's going to walk the whorl of an arcane sigil for a quick nip to the pub), subsequently forcing an increase in the crime rate due to enforcement officials being tied up in this ridiculous government megaproject.

This was the one good thing that came out of Terry Badkind. There was a city in the shape of spell, and as people walked around in the city, their blood would power the spell.

Probably not good for people's health, though. Where does the power come from?

When was the book published that that was in? Depending on timing, Gaiman and Pratchett may have beaten him to it with the joke in Good Omens about London's highways.

There have also been at least three anime to pull the trick since then, as well as one anecdote of a GM "fuck you" to the players in the form of dungeon in the shape of a symbol of death that killed the party rogue once the whole dungeon was properly mapped.