Mtg - Lore

Found this cute kitty. I give it away for FREE. I REPEAT: FOR FREE. Its very cute and also pretty cute.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m9zF8YgT_cs
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/magic-story-archive
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27
mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Planeswalker's_Guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll take two!

>the tail
>the mouth
>the paw

You sure that's a kitten, buddy?

Such an adorable face!

Favorite card spoiled so far, flavor-wise.

Of course it's a kitten! What, does it look like a horse to you?

Wait a minute, there's something not quite right in that image...

The button in the top collar is on the right hand side, meaning that the left side of the collar will fold over the right.

However the coat directly beneath that has the right side folded over the left. This makes no sense, from a fashion perspective.

Exactly why this should be is a mystery, but whoever this female is (and it is a female, since she's wearing a female coat. The only visible buttonhole is on the right, just below the hand, and female garments have buttonholes on the right, whilst male garments have them on the left. Although given that the shirt has a buttonhole on the left, this would seem to indicate that the person is wearing mixed gender clothing. Draw your own conclusions from that but it's clear that something odd is going on here.

The tail is way too obvious, but i really like all the other subtler details on that pic.

Some collars are separate pieces of fabric, which would explain it buttoning from the other side.

The coat has buttons on both sides.

arent all cats like that

It has one on the right, at the top, just above the wrist. But that could just be a false button, because just behind the LLC text, there's what looks like a buttonhole. There's certainly not a button there.

youtube.com/watch?v=m9zF8YgT_cs

Interestingly, the background shows a set of towers with a bridge between their upper levels, a relatively recent convenience in our world to allow for travel between otherwise separated buildings without going out to the street or taking long stair climbs. This implies either retrofitting of older architecture, or a newly forward thinking way of designing. In either case, it is clear this town shows early signs of societal progress.

That car has a human's eyes. No kitten has eyes so un-slitted.

Oh. Its Chuck Norris joke. I get it.

Really?

Nor do they have any white

Eh, it's my second-favorite. Nothing can top MECHA WOLF!

The best part about this thing is the implication that Ludevic just happened to have all the parts to make it just lying about. Including the wolfhead.

And also note it is NOT a werewolf (no spess wulves jokes), but just a straight up dumb, ordinary wolf that he decided to strap into humanoid power armor.

To be fair, that sounds like something the spess woofs would do

Cats do in fact have a white film that covers their eyes as they sleep, it is also sometimes visible if they turn their eyes in their sockets.

Free Trailer!?

Well, just by the creature type it could be from one of the few remaining wolfir, they're also just "Wolf." But it is more likely to just be a regular wolf.

Cor blimey! What happened to your thumb, mate? Are you all right?

Why does the Cosmic Terror want a teddie bear from a well?

My head canon is the wolf has absolutely no control over bot, it's merely ornamental to increase intimidation factor

> I'm bored with knives, that was so last se- I mean week.
> well what do we do boss?
>hrmm, sharp, intimidating.
> get me fifteen wolves and some duct tape boys

despite being a squirming mass of horrific flesh, there is still a shred of innocence and a desire to feel at peace in what is probably a frightening ordeal for a formerly young girl.
Unless of course she's going "OH YEAH I HAD A TEDDY BEAR TOO, I BETTER GO KILL IT LIKE I DID EVERYTHING ELSE".

What's the best place to start with MTG lore? I'm not all that interested in playing the game, so I don't want to buy the cards just for the lore. Is there a good resource for collected MTG lore and the story so I can get a feel for the setting? It seems like a cool one for an RPG system.

If it's a remaining scrap of independent desire, why does it come with flavor text about how Emrakul doesn't work with independent desire, she just makes other creatures share her own desire?

Start with all the fiction here

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/magic-story-archive

There's also a bit of crossing the streams with Wizards making a Zendikar D&D conversion

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

You know, the leech wurm head is the real head. The kitten part is actually the rear end of the critter. This is good because you only get dried hair pellets (like an owl) instead of cat poo.

There is a multiverse.

Stuff is made of mana of different "colors". Each color corresponds to a myriad of concepts.

Each world is a "plane". They each have different concentrations of the different colors of mana, which decides their properties.

To go between the planes, you need to be a planeswalker. Previously, planeswalkers were deific. Then one of them decided to kill absolutely everybody with his army of mechanical goons. So all the other planeswalkers (after much hilarity) ganged up on him and the ensuing war completely fucked the universe in half.

So this chick named Freyalise blew them all up, then fixed it all.

But in the process, this war-and-mending destroyed the godlike-nature of planeswalkers. And time. Think "comic-strip universe reboot". Now, planeswalkers are merely incredible sorcerers and reality-warpers. Godlike to a common person, sure, but not freely altering reality to their designs.

This would be okay, but now there are some very, VERY powerful monsters called Eldrazi on the loose that can brain-rape and kill planeswalkers like it's nothing.

Just another Tuesday.

In Magic, you technically play as a planeswalker.

The Planeswalkers Guides also still exist on their site, so there's enough background stuff to base adventures in each plane off of much of that.

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Planeswalker's_Guide

Each link goes to a list of the planeswalkers guides used on the wiki, or you could read the wiki as well for each to get a primer on what each plane/setting is.

It doesn't say that twit.
It's basically saying she twists wishes so that they are what she desires as well as what the wisher wants.

Yawgmoth wasn't a Planeswalker. Its one of his old obsessions to figure out how the damn Spark and planeswalking thing worked.

But yeah, all that fuckery did kinda screw Time, the Multiverse, and Everything. So here we are, dealing with 20 story Galactus/Cthullu monsters that can devour planes, a scheming old dragon who wants his godlike power back, and the scattered remains of Yawgmoth's legacy infecting every plane they're on.

And Ob Nixilis, who has the best internal monologues of any character in the setting.

If you look close, she has the bear beforehand. I think the implication is supposed to be that she's using the bear to grab something from the well.

Presumably coins to show that wishes are pointless thematically, which might just coincide with Emrakul's desire for the coins, which could be to make some weird silver-infused spawn to better fight werewolves or whatever.

Or she dropped the bear and in sometime she became a spawn.
Her wish was to not be alone, emrakul wanted to be one with everyone

So did Nahiri really kill everyone?

Not as far as we know yet.

The only concrete information we have is that Emrakul is sealed in Innistrad's moon by Tamiyo and Nissa while Jace keeps them all sane and Chandra, Liliana and Gideon act as the muscle. Then later on, despite Gideon's misgivings, Liliana becomes a part of the Gatewatch while Tamiyo refuses.

Anything else is Sorinfag propaganda.

Not everyone, but pretty much everyone who mattered.

This is a valid point. The text implies that emrakul would indeed replace the desires of the afflicted with her own; with that said, I highly doubt emrakul's priorities involve an abandoned stuffed toy at the bottom of a well.
That, to me, implies that the young girl (perhaps not as young) still has the will to retain some memory of her former self, despite her obvious condition, and they took the opportunity to label it as a "grapple with the past" in a figurative, psychological representation with her apparent defiance to emrakul's agenda; and a literal representation with squid arms around the ol' teddy.

Giving the design team too much credit? I'd hope not, but that's just how I see the new card.

Three White legendaries from this plane are still alive, and the three major black and blue characters, and Sorin.

Or to be more accurate; Sigarda, Thalia, Odric, Geralf, Gisa, Ludevic, Arlinn Kord, Sorin, and Tamiyo from previous Innistrad installments are alive and unharmed.

I'm getting mixed messages here.

What three white legendaries?
Last thread said everyone died, including Thalia, Gisa and Geralf.

No evidence was given. It was Sorinfag propaganda designed to make Nahiri look even worse than she already is.

Would not be surprised to see Sigarda elevated to Archangel status by some kind of planeswalker powerup that gives every single human on the plane hexproof.

Is there any lore on Ulrich yet, or does he just exist in card form and some flavor text?

Am I the only one who noticed Gisa doing a pose from Michael Jackson's Thriller?

Fuck.

Gisa and Geralf got a new card and they're fine. Thalia is a tentacle monster now though

>Thalia is a tentacle monster now though
God damn it will you knock it off.

The flavoir text is completely nonsensical when read your way.
>Emrakul does not grant wishes because the people that she turns into Eldrazis have no will of their own anymore.
What? That's fucking retarded.

However, it can also be read as:
>Emrakul doesn't grant wishes, the turned's desires simply become part of her will.
And suddenly it doesn't sound like the interpretation of a stoned teenager.

So apparently the lore for Kaladesh will primarily revolve around the Gatewatch going there for some downtime.

What are your thoughts on all this?

Expected. We were told from the beginning that the Gatewatch is the focus of every block from now on, and if I get to see Chandra and Liliana wearing bikinis in this beach episode then I'm happy.

that is literally tragic

>Gatewatch is the focus of every block from now on

Seriously? Source?

I just think we could get some pretty funny bits in there. Like Gideon unintentionally looming over everyone, or Jace trying and failing to maintain composure when eating a really spicy curry.

Source?

>Gatewatch is the focus of every block from now on

If this is true, then I'm going to call them the Jacetice League right in Maro's face.

>kaldesh is the beach episode

Fund it

Amazon description for the Kaladesh artbook

>and if I get to see Chandra and Liliana wearing bikinis
>No mention of Nissa.
Ah well, I guess It's because her Joragas are uncontainable.

Source: Mark "Shekelatog" Rosewater

New blue mill spell featuring Jace editing himself out of peoples memories because he did something awkward.

It's just a Lesser Chimera, the kind that doesn't have a goat's head.

They're adorable creatures, and should be petted muchly.

I see your reference there....you looking for pork-butts and taters as a reward?

That's uh... not what the words in that photo say man

Nissa wears a one-piece because she's worst girl

Yeah. It said one will play an active role. Which based on SOI means that it'll be Chandra hanging around until something big goes down and she calls her friends so they can solve it in minutes.

Dramatic tension? What's that?

Chandra is much more likely to start some shit.

No way, I'm not falling for that stunt again! Last time you gave me a "cat", its tail bit a large chunk off my left nut when I let it sit on my lap!

It's hardly a secret that the Gatewatch is Magic's version of the Justice League or the Avengers. WotC has outright said that it's the case.

Could it be they had Liliana join the Gatewatch because they need a reason for having Garruk hunt them and be the next enemy?

Possibly, or they need an excuse for Garruk to join up with the League of Evil that consists of primarily multi-color walkers. Helmed by Nicol Bolas naturally.

Nicol Bolas, Tezzeret, Garruk, and ???

The Four Kings of Evil

Nahiri, Tibalt and Ob?

Investigate intensifies

We need more Ob. Oneshotting Jace and drowning Gideon in a puddle was something... pure

Nahiri would make sense because that would give all five colors representation in both teams and would keep Team Evil from being a complete sausage fest.

Liliana could also be a member, she'd be like Namor in dark reign.

Liliana becomes a member of the Gatewatch in EMN

Exactly, Namir was a member of both the good guy and the bad guy organization in dark reign.
Not even as a double agent, just being a real member of both, conspiring to protect the world with one group and conspiring to conquer it with the other.
Just replace "world" with "multiverse" and you're golden.

Bolas doesn't have partners, he has pawns.

Ob's dead, courtesy of the Red power ranger.

she just scared him away. but he swore revenge like a good recurring villain

>next set Kaladesh
>U/R and artifacts
So Karn or Ral Zarek for new Jacetice League member?

So you're saying that Emrakul, The Forbidden End, The Aeons Torn, takes in the desires of every single insignificant being she corrupts?

If that's not retarded I don't know what is.

Ah I see.

Really have to pat the design team on the back for that one
>so we have the villains for the next three blocks laid out now?
>as long as Chandra doesn't *actually* kill Ob
>Golden

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Karn again. Then we get two walkers for the price of one!
>RIP Venser

>If that's not retarded I don't know what is.
No one said that Eldritch abominations have to make sense to us.

In fact it's almost a prerequisite that they don't. But if it's not that, why else would the eldritch horror be pulling wished out of the well?

>inb4 Emrakule is actually Carly Rae Jepson

You may think what you want about it, but that is what the card implies. Reading it the other way, the entire flavour text does, indeed, become completely nonsensical.

It's called appreciating the small things in life. I would prefer a reality where neowalkers never existed and something like the Gatewatch was never even thought of as a possible direction the story of the game could go in. But this is where we are and I have come to accept that I will never like it and that lewd pictures of hot women is the best thing I can hope to get out of it.

this post made me feel like a dipshit for not getting why there was a cute kitty on the card

But that's exactly what it is, you fucking retard.

Pic related.

Let's evaluate what was written again.

>It's basically saying she twists wishes so that they are what she desires as well as what the wisher wants.

So, she grants wishes in a format that furthers her own agenda. The child wanted her teddy back from the bottom of the well? She's mutated into a hideous, long-limbed thing that can reach down and grab the teddy. She's a horrible monstrosity that serves Emrakul now and she has her teddy as well. So through this alteration, the wish has both given Emrakul what she desires and the wisher what she desires. Both parties are satisfied.

Which card is this?