Retirement fortresses

>Dragons are now attracted to old people
>They regularly kidnap them to be never seen again
How does this affect your setting, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40klib.ru/rpg/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Define "old": Age or physical look?
Because considering how there can be critters that are thousands of years old without showing any sign of aging...

Everyone just sorta assumes the dragons are eating them. Most people wont work after 30 because any older and there's no retirement to enjoy. Without old people valuable skills are never passed on and technology stagnates. The few master craftsmen left are those born as prodigies, there isn't enough time for people to work their way up to that level anymore.

It doesn't because there are no dragons because I'm not playing fucking D&D.

If it's "looks" old, then not too much changes.
If it's by actual age, then there will be constant attacks on the emperor of the Human empire in my world, his advisor too.

The Emperor: A god, but not a deity. He was granted immortality and a seed of power by his deity, and has become powerful enough to be considdered a god in his own right. (He plane hopped to the setting's base world and decided to stay for a few millennia)

The advisor: A lich. (He'd been traveling with the Human empires' leader for a while before they got there.)

Neither use their powers much. The advisor is lazy and would rather read, and the emperor prefers to have fair fights.

Dragons can exist in other settings you know. Legends of the Wulin is a bad example.

Dragons exist in Warhammer fantasy and WH 40K too.

Obviously dragons exist in other settings but it's obvious that this dumbass is asking about your "homebrew" settings which are run exclusively with D&D and all its deformed bastard children.

So people can't make their own settings for different systems? Have you ever even PLAYED D&D before? Half the time the settings don't have dragons (at least in my experience).

I further deform pathfinder with the wound system, because it makes so much more sense.

Wow. Way to have no imagination whatsoever and contribute nothing to the discussion.

People assume it's the wind dragons cooking up a new scheme in their quest for more knowledge.
You're making a lot of assumptions. Nothing OP said hints at this being exclusively D&D. Even if it was a question exclusively for homebrew setting there are people who make homebrew settings for other systems than D&D.

>So people can't make their own settings for different systems?
Outside of where it's necessary, like with a generic system such as GURPS, it almost never happens.

This thread is just another romp through Generic Fantasyland Tropes™ that everyone gets really defensive about because their daddy done played D&D too and it were good enough for him and his kin, damn it.

Fucking braindead legions of mopes, never play anything outside of their D20 systems and puerile Vancian fantasy bullshit. Grow the fuck up and try something new.

I want to play Rogue Trader, or Dark Heresy, or Shadowrun, or a few other systems that aren't d20, but I can't. Fuck off you damn elitist.

>It doesn't because I don't like to have fun

5/10 bait made me reply.

Mostly look. They just want people to talk to.

>I want to play Rogue Trader, or Dark Heresy, or Shadowrun, or a few other systems that aren't d20, but I can't
Of course you can you brain-damaged whelp. Unless you got the 'tism so bad that you're a NARP faggot, that is, which is pretty common in threads like these.

>playing d&d is the only way to have fun

Are they willing exchange sex for conversation?

>Implying that that was what the user meant.
>Implying you can't enjoy multiple systems.

This is how I dragon.

user, please. The old people would be crushed at the slightest of pressure.
Although, they might have a human form...

Or it's that he can't find a group of people who want to play those non-main stream systems? Ever thought of that Fuck Nugget?

I only play home brew settings, I never run the settings in the book

I almost never see people run published settings.

I do, except it's usually stuff like The Dark City from Don't Rest Your Head where the entire setting is based on the fears and secrets of the player characters.

No, I have no money to buy the books, and I don't know anyone period. Even if I had the books, I wouldn't have anyone to play with.

I need get around to trying to put up a flyer in the library or something. . .

>How does this affect your setting, Veeky Forums?
My players leave because they do not want to be magical realmed.

>No, I have no money to buy the books, and I don't know anyone period. Even if I had the books, I wouldn't have anyone to play with.
So you're a NARP faggot as I thought. Please end yourself.

Eberron is better than stuff I vomitted out

>no money to buy the books
Raise the black flag, ya land-rat

Funny that looks pretty close to how I wyvern

This is how I wyvern.

so dragons that hoard the elderly?

Could you extent this to other things:
>dragon runs a prison that acts as its hoard of criminals
>dragon operates a mental asylum as a hoard of loons
>dragon acts as monarch in a constitutional monarchy so that the parliament can act as his hoard of useless incompetents
>dragon becomes town mayer so he can look over his hoard of villagers

I love all these ideas

I had a setting where hoarding was a compulsion that only some dragons chose to indulge in by gathering treasure. Others did in fact hoard people, but convincing themselves that "these humans are mine, they are my hoard". The oldest dragon ran the adventurer's guild in secret as its hoard.

Why don't dragons really rule countries? Old, wise, rich, influential - why not?

Run it

Old people are hoarded by those who want to trade something from dragons. Old people are bartering coins, like women in biblical times.

Dragons usually let young people live, on the condition that they revert to the dragon upon their - oh, let's say - 60th birthday.

It's rather distasteful for old people to marry because they are somewhat expected to be single or widowed to be traded away - they are more valuable if they are single.

Middle-age crisis leading to divorce are taken to be natural development stages, that prepare humans for their final years as consorts to dragons.

It's considered good luck to have a dragon as a father/mother-in-law.

Some birds hoard shiny or otherwise interesting things to impress potential mates. Shrieks hoard impaled corpses.

I imagine hoarding humans is equivalent to walking a dog to meet chicks at the park.

Seems mutually beneficial if not incredibly weird

Still I'd sooner guess they're just being eaten since it's a fucking dragon taking them

>I imagine hoarding humans is equivalent to walking a dog to meet chicks at the park.

>dragons live on different time scales than humans
>dragons cultivate towns, cities, whole human empires, carefully pruning them by steering them into or out of wars
>one day, on some signal or timer that mere mortals cannot grasp the dragons' empires collapse, beset on all sides, both inside and out, by ruin, war, famine, disease, unrest.
>as the chaos ensures, more and more of the former citizens of the dragons' empires flee to more stable lands managed by female dragons.
>above the lines of refugees, the male dragons dance their draconic language through the sky, expressing to the female dragons of the other lands a single, simple message:
>"hey bae want sum fuck?"

Dragons are now seen by commoners as spirits of death, grim reapers who take those whose time has come and usher them into the afterlife.

Those old men who escape from or slay their captors become renowned as "immortals" who spit in the face of death.

Clerics become grumpy and try to enforce the old ways, but are seen as out of touch with the true nature of death. New cults arise formed around dragons and death, associating the two.

Eventually necromantic dragons with ghost breath become a thing.

But these dragons don't eat them because what would be the whole of old-napping them?

To have them record their entire life into a book via magical means that drains the old person of their very soul and traps it within the pages of the book. The only way to release the soul is to read the entire book word-for-word. Seems like something a bored dragon with class levels would do.

If I knew where to pirate the books without getting a virus with it, then I'd go for it.

wh40klib.ru/rpg/
Here you go

Is there a shortage of young maidens in normal settings with dragons? What's with everyone over the age of 30 going extinct?

Witnessed

So you now have dragons who hoard monks?

Perfect excuse for a blue Dragon BBEG ruling over a monastery.

>Retirement fortresses
You mean like Boatmurdered and stuff?
If so, I definitely don't envy those people.

in shadowrun they do

in a generic sense it's mostly due to dragons not really liking people and being solitary creatures