Post-Apocalyptic Scenery

Anyone got pictures of ruins that have been around a long time? Not post apocalyptic, but post-post apocalyptic. "Comfy apocalypse", I guess the term is.

realised that my cyberpunk rather than my "ruins" folder is probably better for this.

...why was the Space Shuttle sitting on the pad during the apocalypse?

Where is the rest of the launch hardware?

I guess maybe it's some kind of statue, but this image bothers me.

I wish there was more sci-fi apocalyptic images.

If it died in transit between the hanger and the pad it would be all alone, though why I can't say.

Could also be placed on the crawler for display as a museum before the apocalypse came

For this one it helps to have seen the preceeding 4 paintings by the same guy

>"Comfy apocalypse", I guess the term is.
No, it isn't.

I really like the use of the Space Shuttle but don’t care for the rest; it’s in Florida, so the setting ought to be tropical and how/why is the Shuttle partially buried?

I also like this painting, as it’s also a non-standard setting (i.e. not a cityscape).

For what purpose? Far easier to bring the food and other materials to the city, then drive the city around.

Interesting, as Eastern / Central Europe tends to get overlooked as a setting.

I'm guessing it got flooded due to global warming (?) and then the water receded leaving the shuttle caked with mud

>I'm guessing it got flooded due to global warming (?) and then the water receded leaving the shuttle caked with mud

Nah, if it was under any kinda depth of water it would have been battered into prices by wave action.

So, what is it?

I've heard the term Green Apocalypse, but Comfy Apocalypse works just as well.

>I've heard the term Green Apocalypse, but Comfy Apocalypse works just as well.
"Soft Apocalypse" is the most widely-recognized term. "Soft", as in, "the apocalypse happened but it was gradual enough that the dwindling number of people had less and less pressure because their food and shelter sources never went away".

can anyone post a grim dark post-apocalyptic scenery like Angel's egg? where everything doesn't have to be too futuristic, but retain the theme of decay and morbid.

something similar and haunting

I remember watching this, the color scheme and eerie and sound really did the best of the atmosphere.

The term "comfy apocalypse" or "cosy catastrophe" was originally a pejorative term used for stories where some kind of apocalyptic event happened, but the story chose to focus on the most safe and privileged people who survived, to facilitate nerds' terrible power fantasies. The kind of horrible fuckers who think that when the end-times come, they'll get to become Immortan Joe, King of the Wastelands, instead of just another head on a spike.

Basically any story that revels in the idea that all the useless breeders are dead, so now the super-cool and smart author's darlings can inherit the Earth. Y'know, instead of dwelling on the sheer horror of that death toll, or the collapse of civilization that it heralds.

Have any of you read the manga / seen the anime Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou? It's very much in a 'comfy post-post-apocalyptic' world, though there aren't many ruins in it. The main idea is that population has dropped, trains and planes have stopped running although futuristic technology still exists in small amounts. The sea levels are rising and the roads are decaying. The main character is a known android identical to a young woman, who runs a quiet coffee shop in the countryside. Most of the manga takes place around the nearby countryside and follows several other characters as well, in a slow-paced and relaxed style, with an art style unique to Ashinano Hitoshi's manga. There's 140 chapters and an Epilogue chapter.

I wish Nier had HD shots of its environments, that game had the best sort of scenery for this type of thing.

I bet that water is teeming with parasites.

It's Japan, if the hillsides are bug-free the water is parasite-free.

Oh, like Atlas Shrugged, you mean.

>was originally a pejorative term

Originally when?

Well, I know S.M. Stirling kind of did that, although more in that he simply dwelt on what said type of characters were doing, although it certainly acknowledged the horrid deaths of most of everyone, because they starved. An early dilemma for all parties is having the pragmatism, and self defense ability to tell refugees to "Fuck off, there is not enough food." and live with the fact that you are killing them indirectly.

A lot of people from that particular generation just are not right in the head anymore, and have life long ptsd from it, and many never really recover. Even the tougher ones dont' really like to talk about it all the time.

The places that AREN'T civilized or didn't do well are pretty grim, and a lot of "Eaters" (I.E. murderous tribal cannibals) are scattered around, particularly in former urban areas. Their ancestors or founders made it through the Change by hunting other people.

The clever survivors also occasionally get shafted, and by no means necessarily survive. Dying in your bed is not a common event for the gallant warrior class that has arisen to protect society, and while storied in song, the way a lot of them die is pretty ugly even if they consider it worth it. (One particular important duel is concluded essentially by the two guys beating each other to death, more or less since they can't easily penetrate each other's armor. Actually getting beaten to a pulp or suffering nasty blunt trauma isn't uncommon as something that causes trouble because the best armor they have is quite hard to penetrate since the best armor is made from scavenged modern steel or platinum.)

...Platinum armor? Really?

Either I'm missing something, or platinum got a LOT more common in those stories than it is in the real world.

If you meant titanium, it flexes too much to be a good personal armor.