Is it better to be a Paladin or a Fighter in DnD 5e?

Is it better to be a Paladin or a Fighter in DnD 5e?

I just want to wreck shit every day.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6e0dan-PfEE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Id give Mordred a brojob. For sure

The only correct answer is both. Paladin can only be improved by a 2 level Fighter dip.

Both are good, but fighter is all about the damage. Battlemaster adds tactics while champion provides delicious crits.

Paladins are hands down stronger than Fighters. Their smite ability is ripe for horrendous abuse and they get a lot of amazing class features, like getting to add Cha to attack rolls and saves.
I think their smites are supposed to be balanced by only refreshing on a long rest, whereas battlemasters get their stuff back on short rests, but it never fucking matters because nobody ever short rests unless the GM changes their duration to 10 minutes or someone in the party is getting really autistic about stopping the dungeon to short rest and is forcing everyone else into it.

I've only played a paladin but smiting folks has seemed pretty good.

Speaking of Paladins, what's your favorite god/code/cause for one? I have an inherent bias for making Paladins of Pelor/Lathander whenever I can, because smiting enemies with solar fire is the best.

Smiting fucking hurts, and paladin spells provide some utility.

Fighter is all-around rather strong at hitting shit, and Eldritch Knights are defensive monsters, while Battlemasters can be really silly.

>this image is still missing Sakura Saber and Nero Saber
>there's probably another Arturia Saber that I'm forgetting also

Fate was a mistake.

Just how many Sabers is too many?

To Be Fair, all of the Sabers in that image directly relate to Arturia, with one of them being Mordred.
Nero doesn't really have a reason to be there for the joke.

Any more than zero. The whole setting is boring shit.

Any more than Mordred

All of those are actually Saber and Mordred is technically her clone. Sakura Saber, Nero and the rest are technically different people.

Good taste.

Look at how well she rocks that badass armor.

Didn't Merlin technically give Saber a dick to fuck Guinevere, but Saber chickened out because she's straight, got drunk, and then got spermjacked by Morgan le Fay? I could have sworn that was what canonically happened.

No. Merlin gave Saber a dick for a day as a prank, because he's a cheeky cunt. And we don't know any of the details of what happened the rest of that day.

Paladins get smite spells and are also pretty effective tanks as well.

Fighters are weaker but only in the relative sense, they still have a niche that isn't necessarily rendered moot by other classes.

As a fighter I can confirm with two weapons I am hitting a consistent 30 damage a round, as an eldritch knight I wonder how I become this defensive monster you speak of.

Fate is a miracle

Sure ill just keep attacking 5 times a round for 20+ a hit and suddenly do it again and hey if I wanna expend a resource I could superiority die them up the rear

Have we ever had a grail war with a male Saber? At this point the only thing I can think of is the Apocrypha stuff?

Carnival Phantasm briefly brought back Man Arthur from the prototype concepts, does that count?

Are they ever going to do more Carnival Phantasm?

But yeah, prototype Saber was literally the only male Saber I can think of from ANY grail war.
I guess there's a couple from that mobile game, but thats it.

I'm half tempted to completely sidetrack the thread by asking for peoples top Grail War picks now.

It depend, I see fighter like machine gun and paladin as shotgun.

Paladin brings a small amount of heal, a bit of utility, and has a built-in "fuck this guy in particular' button. Play a pally if having a moderate amount of "my time to shine" moments per game is important to you.

Fighter brings extremely consistent damage every turn and a few self-heal-esque abilities for sustain. Fighters can also use any of the 6th fighting styles, any weapon, any armor, and shields. Pick a fighter if you want rock-solid but unspectacular. Use a shield and a longsword coupled with either the defense or the dueling style if you want things to be as simple as possible. Be aware that at level 3 you can pick from one simple or 2 complex builds, which makes fighter a great beginner class.

I've played a campaign as a paladin. Party fighters felt that they were constantly outshined by me, I felt the same way about them. So, I dunno?

Paladin of nature.
Because.

>I just want to wreck shit every day.
Fighter. You can keep on being awesome as long as you have hp and your support isn't shit.

>female king arthur
I don't have an image smug enough. Did they have to genderswap Lancelot and Guinevere too?

Oh boy, seems like you lost your punctuation!
Here, I have a spare one:
,,,,,,,,,, ............ '''''' :::::: -------
Be more careful next time

Merlin just gave Arthur a dick instead.

How would he get along with Paladin of nurture?

Starting a fighter in an upcoming 5e campaign; this will be the first tabletop role playing game I'll be a part of. Any tips?

A paladin of the Realm just like Artorias

No one cares about him, I wish we would have gotten more Ayaka since with her you got to see how an average family of magi looks like in the Nasuverse.

She is the second best FeMC after Hakuno.

Have some ranged option, even if it's just a slingshot.
Even if you're tougher than the rest, you're still far from invulnerable, don't do stupid heroics if the same thing can be done cautiously.
You're still the most gear-dependent of classes, budget smart.
Hobgoblins will fuck your shit up.

Uh excuse you bitch bigger with your faggot waifu obsession, male Saber is cool, has a solid design, from a teased universe full of better designs (especially Lancer jfc) and what, on paper at least, sounds like a way better story than the trash that is FS/N.

I guess there is always F/Z though...

>nigger

Jew kike autocorrect censoring me reeeeeeee

Does Fate/Extra's Gawain count? He's pretty cool.

You all forgot about Sader

>Uh excuse you bitch bigger with your faggot waifu obsession
>male Saber is cool, has a solid design, from a teased universe full of better designs

Fujo-scum get out
The only thing worse than legit fujoshi are gayfag numale-fujos like you.

>'Waaaah they were mean to my waifu, better call them a faggot hipster tumblrite!'

In addition to being fanny frustrated you also have shit taste thinking classic Saber, Lancer, and even Gilgamesh's designs as being 'good'.

Oh yeah, he totally counts. Good call.

So, just who WOULD be the most retardedly broken Saber? I mean, technically, shouldn't Gawain be MORE dangerous than Arturia on account of the whole "actually prophesised to get the grail" destiny thing he's got going on? Plus his ridonculous sword.

Unless there's some ridiculous norse or chinese mortal hero running around.
Atilla the Hun might be an interesting Iskander type Saber since he allegedly possessed the sword of Mars.
Then there's all the Multiclass heroes like Gil and Herc who could count for multiple classes.

> "actually prophesised to get the grail" destiny thing

Wait, that's Galahad isn't it? My bad.

Have we ever seen Gal in FSN?

Funny how this was a D&D related thread.

Lancelot is in Fate/Zero, go and watch him. The reason why Fate is so popular is because legends vs. legends are a ton of fun for historyfags like me, and Type-Moon not only does a good job about imagining those conflicts, they also put the RPG aspect on it. While Urobuchi, who wrote F/Z while being supervised, is not part of Type-Moon, there's a reason why he got the job, he is damn good at what he does, albeit repetitive if you take interest in his works (and he doesn't need waifus all the time, just watch Psycho Pass or his take on Kamen Rider. Type-Moon probably doesn't need them either, but Takeuchi seems like he needs to have either a waifu or a saber somewhere...)

Btw, do not listen to waifufags about Fate, nor the waifuhaters. They will watch any shitty anime as long as they have them, then move on to the next big show.

We have Arthur(male) from Prototype, Siegfried from Apocrypha and Richard the Lionheart from strange fake.

Yeah. But.

There a LOT of gender swapped heroic spirits in FSN. Like a whole lot.

Like, there's an actual catagory for them in the Type Moon Wiki.

It's pretty big!

I kind of understand Da Vinci's excuse though. When the grail went to bring him forth as a heroic spirit he basically went "you know what? I want to look like Mona Lisa" and the Grail just went "Sure dude, whatever, that's not even the most retarded thing I've done by a country mile."

I mean, depending on how much credence you put into those rumours about his sexuality and his relationships with his pupils it is ENTIRELY beleivable that he would want to come back as an ARA ARA tier milf.

Deceiver! Import from China!

Well, that's something you have to deal with. Genderswapped heroes does not take 'quality' away from the story, as in if you either like it ot not, it will not be because of it. If you don't like Fate as it is, you would probably don't like it if Arthur was male too.

The only things genderswap adds are 'funny' moments you'll probably ignore and otaku pandering. and the first MC being an idiot on the first route.

Btw, Da Vinci thing is partly because he's an artist. Hans Andersen also got the treatment, but in a different way: he was famous as a fairy tales writer, so he got to be a 10-year old boy with a DEEP voice. Most artists get this kind of treatment, turning them into an avatar of what made them famous, this way you can justify painters and writers being in the same setting as magic users, albeit you'd still prefer a spellcaster.

Athur, Jack, Francis, and most of the non-Caster genderbent heroes are otaku pandering though. I just felt the need to point DaVinci's reason are not tied (exclusively) to it.

Ironically the first genderswap Nasu ever did was from female Shiki to male Shiki.

Are there any female historical/mytholocial that have been genderbent? Because whenever the franchise comes up here, it looks like a interesting idea with lot of annoyance thrown into because the publisher wants to pander to waifu fags.

I would honestly prefer genderbender being a thing in there or with reasons like the all the artists, but I can't not-see this series brute forcing history into anime sterotypes.

Not that I can think off, but if casters work like this it's bound to happen.

I just don't want anyone to summon Lovecraft.

Shiki Tohno is more of an expy of Ryougi than a genderswap. A lot of KNK characters were reskinned for later Nasu works.

>Jack
The female jack isn't the real Jack the Reaper in the first place (nobody fucking knows whether the real Jack is a Heroic Spirit or whether he even really existed in the Nasuverse) and Francis Drake is implied to be Queen Elizabeth in disguise (a reference to the old story of how she switched places with Drake after her face got scarred by smallpox.).

I know, but it still strikes true.

Btw, it's funny to know Nasu already had Angel Notes, the prototype of Fate and Kara no Kyoukai before he started to work in Tsukihume. When Nasu was taking characters and concepts from elsewhere to work on, Takeuchi shouted 'maids'. Now he seems to be shouting 'Sabers' to him. Fuck Takeuchi.

Yet they are girls because of otaku pandering, even if the made references to stories (There's a woman suspect between all the possible Jacks too, wikipedia is sometimes useful).

Replace those two with Jing Ke and Nero instead, it's the same shit, they wanted girls to draw silly shit like picture related.

Fluffwise?

Nero.
It really depends though, if Aestus Domus Aurea: Golden Theater of the Flamboyant is closer to how it is DESCRIBED or how it actually works in the vidya.
In the crunch it is ''just'' a buff, in the fluff it is nearly on par with a Reality Marble that allows Nero to succeed with whatever aspiration she has. For example, if Nero wants to bake the worlds greatest cake, then within the Domus Aureae Reality will perform backflips so whatever she bakes will become the worlds best fucking cake.
And if Nero aspires to kill the unkillable foe, as long as within Domus Aurea, Facts take the back seats and Reality bends over like a bitch so she will wreck her enemy.

>Nero

if I recall the interviews correctly Nero came to be because they wanted a female Gilgamesh/Archer.

>Atilla the Hun might be an interesting Iskander type Saber
Yeah, about that...

There any "Nuh Uh" Noble Phantasms that can counter that? Like Nobunaga or something?
I suppose if there was a Hero or NP that used effects outside of reality (like Avalon perhaps?) then it might be possible?

Then take Cleopatra? Pretty sure she can be as obnoxious as Gil without going for the genderbent formula. Heck, they could even make her a nekogirl to pander otakus and everyone would accept it.

Absorb Elements and Shield spells.
Take Blur at 8th level.

...yeah, I found that in the Wiki afterwards.

Quite why Mars the God of War was going around with a multi-coloured laser sword is ecumencial question for the antiquities though. It would explain why he gave it away though.

>"Uh Mars, why is your sword so fucking plastic looking?"
>"What? Don't be daft, it's got to be that colour to shoot the lasers."
>"Yeah, with the sparkles and glitter and the like."
>"...yeah with the sparkOh me this thing is girlish as fuck isn't it?"
>[general nods of assent from the rest of the roman pantheon]
>"Okay. I can deal with this. YOU THERE GIRLISH LOOKING BOY. TAKE THIS SWORD OF MARS AND DON'T ASK TOO MANY QUESTIONS."
>"Uh, I'm am a gir
>"I SAID NO QUESTIONS!"

>Attila shoots a Photon Ray to wipe some Roman Pushovers.
>Random Hun soldier: "Yo boss, what's a Photon?"

History.

There's also a wealth of female ruler and mage types from the british isles as well. Boudicca, Morrigan, Isabella The She-Wolf of France (give her a poker that can kill gods depending on where she pokes it) QE1 maaaybe Vicky as well? Le-Fay's never been summoned in a Grail War only referred to as well.

Oddly enough Fate/Mobileshit is really hit & miss when it comes to the servants.

I really liked their Ideas of Medb or Eric the Red while some others are downright batshit retarded like Space Lion Edison or Bimbo-Boudica.

They're probably saving Le-Fay for later, she's the perfect lifesaver if the franchise needs to be revived sometime in the future. Morrigan is referenced by Cu too. The rest are not there (yet), and Victoria is a candidate if friggin Antoniette got summoned.

Only Boudicca is there, she's a Rider as you'd expect.

>Space Lion Edison or Bimbo-Boudica.
Wot

>implying prototype Gil is better than cannon Gil

Nigga I will literally fight you

Charlamange

Yep

>Space Lion Edison

...go on...

Jesus. I'm now deeply terrified as to what they'd do with Tesla or Ford.

youtube.com/watch?v=6e0dan-PfEE

Tesla is ok.

>The female jack isn't the real Jack the Reaper in the first place
Caveat: the female Jack doesn't know if she's the real Jack the Ripper, this is not the same as she is not.
She could be. She's definitely something that killed some women in London at some point.

Tesla has an okay design actually.

Charles Babbage is batshit insane however.

Edison is only a magic lion man because he's under the effects of AMERICAN SUPERMAGIC.
It's not his natural appearance.

>Tesla

Oh he is actually one of the really good ones. Basically he is Magitech-Lightning-Hitler.

>Raksasha Edison
>Iron Golem Babbage

Now this is what I like to see, Fate is growing some respect on me at last. Any other crazy shit like this?

I'm betting Liar-Soft's take on Tesla is superior. He could very well qualify as Saber.

Babbage is inside the steampunk mecha.
He's piloting it.

...isn't that guy the queen of the machines in Force of Will?

Also, is Alan Turing in?

>AMERICAN SUPERMAGIC.

CURSE YOU AMERICAN SUPERMAGIC!

Grand Order's Tesla apparently represents science that supplants the divine, reclaiming lightning from the thunder gods, surpassing Zeus, Thor, and Indra.

Apparently Rome was founded by a Pillar Man

SEKAI ICHI!

>TO BE CONTINUEING INTENSIFIES

Liar-Soft's Tesla gained lightning powers by forming a contract with Thunderbird, and he's quite powerful in his own right.

Then again the Steampunk series is really whacky, so it's impossible to put any kind of value to the various powerlevels.

>Have we ever seen Gal in FSN?
Not directly.
We have Galahad mantled onto a girl though.
Mashu inherited his powers.
He's apparently a Shielder, and guards his allies with a fragment of the Round Table (which represents Camelot itself as a fortress).

Really? Everyone I've played with has short rested after every fight ...

Florence Nightingale best Berserker.

Fighters deal more damage and are marginally harder to kill in a vacuum. They are somewhat lacking in doing things other than "killing stuff very well", however.
Paladins provide more support for their party and have a few more options at higher levels. Also they can opt to smite after rolling a crit for insane amounts of damage.

well not really, He'd come out like Hans Anderson, being influenced by his stories. So just a regular Old Dude from Innsmouth.
He would get a different ver of De Rais book.

The only thing the fighter has going for it is action surge. Beyond that you have styles that add flat +1 or 2 to hit and battle mastery shit that at best lets you do standard manuvers with regular damage and who the fuck uses trip, disarm, and shove? Maybe you can get some riptose or parry bullshit a few times a dungeon crawl but that is it.

If your game goes past level 10 (which rarely happens) you can get some extra attacks but what the fuck does that actually help with?

Palandins get a very truncated choice of styles that amount ot +1 AC or going full two handed sword rape machine which is what you want considering you'll be smiting shit. You get lay on hands which can not only heal you but other people in your party. Spells, jsut flat out you get some spells which is leagues of options and actually able to do shit than what a fighter can do.

Basically the only thing a fighter can do better is get 6 basic fucking attacks in when it has it's 3rd attack and that might outpace smites at that level. The only thing that fucks this is radiant resistance or immunity, not like a fighter might actually contend with non magical weapon damage resistance/immunity most of it's early game.

It's a wonder why they even bother giving fighters options as they just boil them down to literately "YOU CAN MAKE LOTS OF ATTACKS THAT DON'T REALLY MATTER!" in the end every fucking time.

>and battle mastery shit that at best lets you do standard manuvers with regular damage and who the fuck uses trip, disarm, and shove?
I'm guessing you missed the rules.
Battle Mastery maneuvers deal extra damage in most instances, by adding the superiority die to damage.
This adds up fast.

Additionally, champion fighter's expanded critical range is not negligible for half-orc characters.

Attacks always matter in 5E, considering there are few ways to resolve an encounter that isn't beating it until it's out of HP.

>This adds up fast
>4 d8s
>smite is 2d8 of the bat with 3 uses of it
>Total of 4d8 vs 6d8
So fucking fast, adds so much so fucking fast. Maybe if you suck your GMs dick he'll let you take rests in the middle of a death dungeon and regen those mastery dice. Oh wait then the paladin can start getting 2 servings of 3d8 per smite at level 5. God that piddly 1d8 per maneuver is really keeping up.

Also fuck I forgot how the superiority dice can have magical effects happen instead. Like you know cure wounds, detect magic, protection from good and evil but fuck if that 1d8 doesn't add up and then become a whole fucking 10 at level 10 then d12s at 18! I mean at fucking level 18 you can do that 6 fucking times!

Face it the fighter is shit, complete and thoroughly. the only thing a fighter can do is make every other class better by a 2 fucking level dip in it for action surge. Now on the whole "oh but paladin needs to take a long rest to regain spells but fighter can take a short rest in the middle of the dungeon!".

You're now replacing the 15 minute work day with a union break every 15 minutes. Good job, it'd be more effective to get your asses out of the dungeon to recharge everyones shit then have the sleepy fighter close his eyes for a nap.

That's OUR Lovecraft, who the fuck knows what NasuVerse Lovecraft is about. Given that he was actually living in a universe where quite a lot of that shit was real.

There's also the possibility of modern Heroic Servants in the NasuVerse like say Nanaya.
Because if the words "Nanaya get's summoned as Berserker" don't terrify you then you need to replay Tsukihime.