Shinigami Savant Quest #69

You are Kusajishi Riku, a shinigami and Captain of the Seireitei Court Guard's Ninth Division, and today has reminded you of a very important fact: just because nobody is dying and the entire Seireitei isn't on fire doesn't mean there isn't at this very moment a crisis situation unfolding.

"So we're good, for now," you announce, closing your denreishinki. "At least in my Division. Who knows about the others."

"One Division at a time, I guess," Kisuke sighs. "I have to figure out a better way to determine..."

A knock at the door to the office interrupts the thought. "Pardon me, Captain Urahara, I have a report."

"Go ahead, Miss Nemu," Kisuke replies. "What happened this time."

"The Lieutenants have returned from the Dangai," she announces. "They report no unusual activity."

You share a worried glance with Yoruichi, wondering what this development means. Kisuke however merely smiles. "Well that settles it. Lady Yoruichi, Lady Riku, I would appreciate if you prepared for a fight."

"I have a feeling this is about to get ugly."

“How ugly?” Yoruichi asks with a frown, knowing that behind her old friend's calm exterior lies a dangerous realization that he's simply chosen not to share for his own reasons.

“Incredibly so,” Kisuke replies. “In fact if we are not careful this situation could become as dangerous as Aizen's rebellion, at least in terms of its long-term implications.”

“The threat of our fellow officers being replaced without our knowledge really could be bad,” you acknowledge, “so it may not be an overstatement.”

“What a pain,” Kisuke sighs. “Wish I could say for sure that my own subordinates aren't secretly in on the enemy's plan, but I haven't even been able to fully screen my organization for Mayuri's informants yet. You two have had a century to get to know your Divisions, and I can't attain that degree of familiarity in a month.”
>1/2

As well as you used to know Kisuke, and with as many times as you've seen him since his exile, it's easy to forget that he's basically had to start from scratch with his own Division's personnel and activities. There's no way he could tell in just a few seconds that his own Third Seat hadn't been replaced by an exact copy the way you could with your own daughter or your Seated Officers, for example, and it would be foolish to insist that he try.

“We need to buy time,” Yoruichi decides, her expression telling you clearly that she's so deep in thought that she may not even be aware that she's thinking aloud. “Find a place to work on a solution where we can be confident of our security.”

“That leaves out most of the Seireitei,” Kisuke observes thoughtfully. “And from what Lady Riku's told us the Valley of Screams is off-limits as well.”

>We can set up something at one of our Divisions and restrict access.
>I'm sure there's some place you can think of, like one of our training grounds.
>... what about the Kurosaki clinic?
>Other?

>We can set up something at one of our Divisions and restrict access.

>I'm sure there's some place you can think of, like one of our training grounds.
>Other?
Maybe Kuukaku can provide a pseudo safehouse? If it only affects Shinigami officers, it might help to ask non-Shinigami elements. And I doubt she'll be cloned to the extent of including her permanent injury.

I vote for this option.

Plus we haven't interacted with Kuukaku in forever.

>Try and confirm if the reports are true by opening a garganta to Yoru's bedroom or to the Valley of Screams.
supporting the Kukkaku residence to serve as the location for clone screening.

Valley of Screams is confirmed.

Second.

confirmed as in we have access to them or confirmed as in we still don't access them? I'm going off of the basis of the returning lieutenants (with the assumption that they're real) reporting that there's no unusual activity.

Last time we tried to access it we failed, same with the portal between Riku and best cats room.

>... what about the Kurosaki clinic?

“There IS one possibility,” you admit, carefully pondering the possibility. You've never liked leaning on family connections to solve problems, as your adoption into the Shiba was itself a massive favor which lends legitimacy to your still-secret marriage. “We could ask her for help.”

“Do you even know where she's living at the moment?” Yoruichi asks you, by now very familiar with your adoptive sister's odd habits. “I admit I lost track.”

“Wait, who are we talking about?” Kisuke asks nervously.

You shake your head. “I haven't talked with Kaoru about family matters like that for a while, but she may still be living in Junrinan.”

“You're not talking about Kūkaku, right?” Kisuke persists, a tone of panic creeping into his voice. “Please tell me we're not talking about Kūkaku.”

“Do you have a problem with my sister?” you demand, crossing your arms defensively. Kisuke shudders involuntarily.

“I fear no man or hollow,” Kisuke informs you. “But that woman... she scares me.”

“Aw, quit being such a baby Kisuke,” Yoruchi sighs, bonking her old friend over the head. “That limp got better, and the scars healed eventually.”

“I guess you have a point,” he admits sheepishly. “It's been a long time after all, she probably doesn't even remember.”

It occurs to you that there's one little flaw in your plan, which is that access to and from the Seireitei is still restricted due to the recent unrest both from Aizen and Muramasa. Leaving without being noticed will be difficult, if not impossible. And not everyone you may want to bring with you can disguise their presence as well as you can.

>Arrange an exit with Yamamoto for yourselves and a list of allies (who)?
>Sneak through, just the three of you?
>Try and sneak through with your allies (who)?
>Other?

>>Arrange an exit with Yamamoto for yourselves and a list of allies (who)?

We should probably make sure that Yamamoto hasn't been replaced. Unlikely, but still worth making sure.

Yeah, this seems like the most prudent course of action.

Feel free to suggest a shortlist. For your information Rangiku will want to remain with the Division as your second-in-command, and Apacci will want to come along to solve the problem. The rest will basically do what you tell them, because they either have no strong feelings either way or because their feelings are equally strong in both directions.

>Arrange an exit with Yamamoto for yourselves and a list of allies (who)?
Only persons I can think of that have a shot at identifying clones in the near future are Unohana and Kaoru.

Kisuke would still be tagging along here, right?

Apacci it is then. I'm also fine with including either Kai or Mirai.

>Kisuke would still be tagging along here, right?
Si. He needs some seclusion away from any possible plants, spies, or informants.

At least Apacci, Kisuke, Unohana and Kaoru.

If anyone else wants to come then sure as long as we know their cleared.

Time extension please. Thread's a bit slow and I'm considering my options.

On the assumption that there'll be actual discussion. I'll give 10 extra minutes for that, since it's an important consideration how many Captain-class fighters you want to take outside the Seireitei and which ones you feel comfortable taking with.

Gin is an important asset. I just don't know if he is more useful with us or in Seireitei.

We could probably leave standing orders for Rangiku to coordinate with Shunsui too, since he's in the loop about this already.

And I think he has an excellent chance of distinguishing his own Lieutenant for starters.

Well I'd leave Gin in Seireitei. He's got a keen situational awareness that's more useful there. He's not exactly a people person.
This I can agree with. Shunsui can stay in seireitei.
Doge can stay in Seireitei.
Jushirō can also stay in Seireitei.
Not sure about bringing Kaoru along.

Kaoru's the head of Kido corps as such she has possibly worth while skills in terms of identifying clones or finding out whats going on. She is absolutely worth taking.

>writing
Also there was a pretty bad spill at my desk. My computer is fine, but there were a LOT of very expensive library books in the line of fire. As I'll be seeing to those as well over the next few minutes there may be a delay.

take your time, we'll be discussing while you save campus assets and yourself from expensive fees.

And swear like a drunken Marine. Don't forget that bit.

Shouldn't be too much longer, the damage as it turns out was mostly to *my* books.

“We need to inform Yamamoto we're going,” you tell your wife and friend. “He should be able to come up with some pretense as to why we're leaving, make it seem credible. That way it's less likely to show our hand too early.”

Yoruichi nods in immediate agreement. “We could use a little help.”

“Kaoru is the go-to expert on kidō, and she's a member of the Shiba family as well. Assuming the Kaoru we ask is the real one, she should join us.”

“That just might work,” Kisuke admits. “If it's a family matter that explains the three of you leaving at once. Then all that's left is the question of my departure, possibly explained as visiting an old friend.”

“Then it's settled,” you nod. “Yoruichi, please speak with Yamamoto. Kisuke, gather whatever you might need from around here. I'll go talk with Kaoru.”

The three of you head off in different directions, and you feel their reiatsu shrink into the distance as you blaze a path towards the Kidō Corps compound. Along the way you send a message to Rangiku telling her to stay put, and to coordinate with any Captain she determines is “safe”: particularly with Gin, whose keen insight may prove a crucial advantage in days to come. You soon after find your younger adoptive sister sitting outside of her office, enjoying a cup of chilled tea and a small plate of dango.

“Ah, Riku!” she greets you warmly, gesturing to the seat next to her. “Sit, it's too nice a day not to enjoy it properly!”

“Kaoru, I need to tell you...”

“For once, nothing is going wrong!” she continues, missing your tone completely as she gazes at the beautiful blue skies. “No traitor Captains...”

“Kaoru...”

“... no crazed, brainwashed zanpakuto...”

“Sis, you're not listening...”
>1/2

“Hm?” she asks, finally looking at you instead of at the clouds. “What's wrong, Riku? You look like you're spoiling for a fight. Don't tell me Zaraki's after you again, once a year or so's enough trouble.”

>Try and come up with a way to test her responses?
>Just tell her what you know, you can come up with something later.
>This is her, you're pretty confident a fake Kaoru would be more attentive and far less relaxed.
>Other?

>This is her, you're pretty confident a fake Kaoru would be more attentive and far less relaxed.

You know that, that spill was all part of Aizen's keikaku right?

I dunno she seems fairly unhesitating.

>>Try and come up with a way to test her responses?
"Something has gone, horribly wrong." See if she immediately pitches a fit/freaks out or becomes attentive.

Kaoru seems to be someone who copes with stress by maintaining a schedule with a keep calm and carry on attitude. All the events as of late has put her on edge judging by the dialogue. Anything that impacts her daily routine and how she deals with it. would be a way to tell if it's her.

Second.

>writing
3d10, best of 3 for delivery and observing the results.

Rolled 4, 9, 8 = 21 (3d10)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON KAORU
INTERNALLY FREAK OUT

Rolled 10, 4, 5 = 19 (3d10)

Rolled 4, 8, 6 = 18 (3d10)

>8, non-critical
Solid result, though nothing special.
>writing

“Well, something's actually gone terribly wrong and we need to go to Kūkaku's to figure out a solution,” you explain to your sister, “because staying here may be too dangerous.”

There are a few seconds that follow during which Kaoru's smile slowly fades and her expression sours. You can tell that you've ruined her day, and that her reaction was far from immediate, which suggests it may be safe to feed her a little more information. Her response to the news that you suspect an army of duplicates may be invading the Seireitei will hopefully confirm your suspicion that this is the real Kaoru.

“Oh...” she says, frowning. “I see. That bad, is it?”

“Worse,” you continue. “We ran into two near-perfect copies of myself and Yoruichi in Valhalla, and were forced to kill them. It's highly likely that somebody within the Seireitei is trying to replace us Captains with our evil twins.”

Kaoru stares at you for a moment, as if uncertain how to respond. “So... like that one episode of Star Trek?”

“Which one?” you ask in response. “The one with two Kirks or the one with goatee Spock?”

“I guess...” she replies thoughtfully, “the one with goatee Spock? It sounds like what you're talking about isn't like you or Yoruichi were weakened by it at all, so it's not like Kirk versus creepy stalker Kirk.”

“Yeah, that comparison makes the most sense,” you agree, relieved that this truly seems to be your Kaoru. “After all our copies are more aggressive and never hesitate, so they stand out about as much as parallel Kirk when you stop to question them.”

“Wait, you were testing me this whole time?” Kaoru asks, suddenly realizing the point of this whole exercise. “Did you really think I was some kind of evil clone?”

“You can't tell by the facial hair, or lack thereof,” you point out to her. “I had to make sure somehow."

"You're you, alright."
>1/2

“Thank you?” she replies, confused as to what she should even say to such a pronouncement. “So why do you need my help in particular?”

“Kisuke's going to work on a solution,” you explain succinctly. “With your help we may have something ready by the time we're forced to make our move.”

“I follow you,” she nods, “though Kūkaku's recently moved and hasn't left a forwarding address... again.”

“We'll have to work it out as we go,” you shrug. “Come on, we need to stop and get Apacci. She'll want to go too.”

“I understand,” your sister nods.

>Inform/test someone else before you go?
>Try to use garganta again, see if it works within the Seireitei?
>Ask Kaoru to use that teleportation spell you never bothered to learn. Save some time.
>Other?

>>Other?
Find out how things have gone with Kisuke and best cat. Then make a decision about movement methods.

Jushiro, if Shunsui hasn't already.

Seconding Jushiro.

Could they make copies of our hollow friends?

Test him in what way?

Come on, lads. Let's have some discussion.

Short answer, no can't be done with hollow stuff.

Checking to see if he's still "sick" would probably be the best bet.

Were pretty safe on that front. One other distinction aside from the clones never hesitating is that they don't utilize anything Hollow like.

That does remind me. It'd be a good opportunity for some of the Vizards to lend a hand in this.

Sorry about that Queen, I'm watching the EC and might even miss the votes for the next couple hours.

It's hard to discuss on mobile chief.

If it does work that means the portals to Valley of Screams is back online. That means we can go
>Get the Arrancars out of the valley of screams, tell them that something big is going down and it involves fighting clones of captains.
>Jushiro, if Shunsui hasn't already.
See if you can sense "Mimihagi" in Jushiro's lungs. The real Jushiro would stay near his residence bedridden with Mimihagi's powers keeping him there. The clone would definitely have that replaced with a healthy set of lungs and heart and be more "active". Besides, you can't clone a god.

Try to sense if Mimihagi is still in Jushiro's lungs. You can't clone a god. Besides, if Jushiro was a clone, being very "physically active" would be a dead give away.

We could always test Ice Shota by asking him about Momo

I got nothing for testing Juushiro, save for having a discussion about the deity residing in him. And frankly, I don't relish the prospect going for that subject.

That's Toshiro. Not Jushiro.
Toshiro is ice shota, Jushiro is Captain Constantly Terminally ill.
Might as well name Jushiro Captain Cancer Patient.

>got pulled into a sidebar, writing

Na fairly certain Jushiro has Tuberculosis not cancer.

In which case he can be Captain TB.

Also, 3d10 best of three.

DC is 4

Rolled 1, 3, 2 = 6 (3d10)

>DC 4
KEK

Rolled 10, 3, 6 = 19 (3d10)

KEK indeed, user.

Rolled 7, 5, 10 = 22 (3d10)

Rolled 10, 8, 2 = 20 (3d10)

A crit!

Could also be an autoimmune disorder targeting the lungs.

I think Tuberculosis is canon, actually.

Its not on the wiki at least.

Good shit.

TB is left unchecked for a long period of time can leave its victim with a compromised immune system. Jushiro's immune system is compromised, I think Mimihagi's presence is preventing any diseases from progressing any further.

“There's something I need to check,” you tell your sister. “Could you use that teleportation spell you know, take me to the Thirteenth Division's barracks?”

Kaoru nods thoughtfully. “Sure, why?”

“I want to check something personally,” you explain, keeping things deliberately vague. “Once you drop me off if you could find Apacci and take her to the Western gate I'd appreciate it too. Tell the others I'll join them soon.”

Shiba Kaoru rises to her feet, setting aside an empty teacup and barren plate, and produces a long, white ribbon from her sleeve. The cloth spins in an arc around the two of you, eventually forming a hemisphere of sorts while the view of your surroundings morphs from the Kidō Corps grounds to the grounds of the Thirteenth Division barracks.

“Thanks,” you tell your sister before she vanishes once more behind a spinning ribbon, and you turn your senses outward.

Ukitake is close by, as it happens, probably sitting for a meal. “Tenkotsuki, please try and discern whether Ukitake still has any sort of divine presence.”

“You believe that such traces could not be replicated by a reigai,” Tenkotsuki surmises, the tone of her voice communicating her approval. “Much more subtle than any alternative. You have my support of course, Lady Riku, as in all matters.”

When you approach Ukitake, who is seated at a long bar in a small shop just off the grounds of the barracks, he smiles and motions for you to sit. “Captain Kusajishi, what an unexpected pleasure! Please, have a seat!”
>1/2

“Don't worry about it Ukitake,” you reassure him, seating yourself next to him at the bar. “I won't make you treat me again.”

“That's good news!” he replies, still smiling. “I don't think my wallet could handle the shock.”

You order a plate of fried things on sticks, a typical lunch for Kyoto, which is almost immediately delivered to you steaming hot and ready to be eaten. It looks delicious, but Tenkotsuki's news almost causes you to freeze mid-bite. You weren't expecting this result.

“I can detect no trace of shinreiryoku about Captain Ukitake's person,” she informs you in a whisper. “So either his condition got immeasurably better, or...”

>Strike immediately.
>Try and gather more information, at least until your meal is concluded.
>Finish quickly, inform Rangiku before you leave.
>Other?

>>Try and gather more information, at least until your meal is concluded.

>Finish quickly, inform Rangiku before you leave.

>>Try and gather more information, at least until your meal is concluded.

>Don't eat the food. Instead have it wrapped up as an impromptu bento.
>Try and gather more information.
>inform Rangiku subtly via Tenteikūra (have Tenkotsuki cast it for subtly, and disguise the marks via illusions)

Anything in particular you'd like to focus on?

Who he's been hanging out with lately, how his squad has been doing, etc.

If I don't get further clarification in the next few minutes I'll call for a general observation roll.

How is his health the past week, where he's been, if he's done any rigorous physical activity. Ask if he's known someone by the name of Mimihagi. Casually drop the name and act like Mimihagi's a person, not a god. If Jushiro replies saying he has no clue who said person is, then raise the alarm. The real captain TB knows Mimihagi personally, can't go out on a walk or be active without getting bedridden every 3 days, and that's on a good day.

Nigger, We already talked to the actual one about Mimihagi, The fake knows since memories.

Yeah that, I think raises way too many red flags

Second.
Are you retarded? Go and read the past threads before you post shit please.

I forgot bout that detail. Guess that detail makes my suggestion above useless.

>okay, gonna wing it a little here
>3d10, dc 6

Rolled 5, 4, 2 = 11 (3d10)

Woo

Rolled 4, 4, 1 = 9 (3d10)

Rolled 2, 1, 4 = 7 (3d10)

Rolling!

Rolled 9, 4, 7 = 20 (3d10)

Fuck.

Impressive, anons.

Uh-oh...

Rolled 1, 5, 10 = 16 (3d10)

I do believe that's our first critfail

which means Riku was way too obvious and now clone!?Jushiro's aware we're suspicious of him.