EDH/Commander general

AMERICA edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kazuul-test/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mushroom-madness-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mo-knows-overkill/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dakkon-blackblade-edh-4/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

magiccards.info hasn't updated in forever. What's up?

Building Alesha, any spicy stuff Edh rec doesn't know about?

Any thoughts on how fun it is to play it?

Should I build Arcum Dagsson artifact toolbox, or Daretti stax? I can only build one. I will be playing primarily multiplayer.

Agreed, voltron isn't particularly god strategy, nor is it interesting
Moat is probably the most expensive.
Best stax decks use Mangara, Hokori or most of all, Nahiri. Last one is the most efficient in my experience.
Some staples include Swords of X & Y, Jitte, Aven Mindcensor, Linvala, Lodestone Golem, Land Tax, Butterskull, Extraplanar Lens, Gauntlet of Power, and Humility, to name a few. I know that a lot of them are artifacts, but they're so goddamn good that every deck that lacks in one department can usually fix the issue with them more or less.

So I'm building a Ghave deck that's trying to avoid going infinite. Synergies that I can elect not to abuse are okay (like Cathars' Crusade), but I don't want the Ghave + Altar + One of five other pieces infinite engine there (or if I have it there, it's an emergency panic button, not the primary win con)

I'm thinking Fungus/Saproling heavy, using all of the reasonably-okay Thallids/Fungus creatures and Saproling stuff, as well as general token-enabling things like Doubling Season, Crusade, Intangible Virtue, etc.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how terrible of an idea is this? I don't need it to be the best deck at the table, I'd just like it to have a fighting chance.

Well, Ghave is a card that goes infinite with pretty much every card ever printed, so people mighy gang up on you, hard to say. Around here, everyone that has a Ghave deck runs it as basic tokens deck, I seem to be the only one that has just infinite combofest.
Tokens work pretty well, but for efficacy, don't just stick every mushroom and vegetable in there, as there's only couple good funghi, like Utopia Mycon and the Thallid that draws cards.
Ghave's an awesome card, and nice commander, but he has the stigma. I totally would love to play against that kind of deck.

I'm not worried about the gang-up, actually; I HAD a Ghave deck for a while (started with the precon) and it just kinda got unfocused into "general token nonsense" that didn't gel well, and I gutted it a while ago. The stigma (locally, at least) is a non-issue, I just want to avoid the combo-tastic because I don't enjoy it.

I don't know your playgroup, but I imagine you would have more fun playing Arcum. I think Arcum would give you more options for building other decks and making adjustments to your list.

arcum is so boring imo

not that it's relevant but toolbox kruphix is some good shit.

List?

I'd like to create an Eldrazi tribal. Which color possess the best colored eldrazi?

Blue and green, but you'll want to wait until after Eldritch moon to see what they drop.

>toolbox kruphix
soo momir vig?

Every thread until someone does it.
Why the fuck do people like Eldrazi Tribal for EDH, Eldrazi have no relevant tribal effects

I just like them? I like the art and they have interesting effects.

Oh fuck I actually have a fair amount of those, except Linvala. Which is out of my price range, is there anything that can replace it for like $25?
>Butterskull
I'm calling it that from now on

That's fine, do a casual deck where you can run 5-color without having to use any of the 5-color commanders that just don't fit it.

you have to actively try not to combo with ghave

it means not running cards that are obviously just good, like ashnod's and phyrexian altar are both just good with tokens, as is earthcraft, and doubling season is obviously perfect for a +1/+1 counters/tokens deck, why wouldnt you want them? but then you have an infinite combo

best to just build it with some combos and choose not to combo, skip some of the more janky combo pieces that people put in for redundancy like juniper order ranger, only put in cards thare are strong outside of combo situation like doubling season

Well, Linvala is not completely necessary, although she's probably the best option. Cursed Totem does the same thing, but it hits you too, so as long as you play creatures with little to no activated abilities, cursed totem is probably better.
I favor the Totem though, as it's cheaper in both eurodollars and mana cost, and I prefer my stax to be not as creature heavy. My only stax that uses white is Hanna, so you get it why I don't play it there.

Karona 5-color

I never knew what the appeal of Karona was. Could you elighten me?

There's no appeal, besides that it's the most fitting 5-colour commander for the eldrazi.
Then again, Progenitus would be the most fitting, super mana worm wiggling away from the mana hungry dangler fish eldrazi.

Nah I'd probably pack it with efficient beaters as a finisher. 2/2s with evasion and shit

What are the best cards I can put in my Narset to combat my stax-heavy meta?

Oh, and Elspeth, Sun's Champion is a must too. Knight Errant too maybe, but in this case new one is the best. My friend had a Nahiri, where his main wincon was Moat + Humility + Elspeth ult.
Clunky, I know.

Who's the most fun God to play?

Smokestack, Land Equilibrium, Overburden.
>wanting advice on Narset

Xenagod or Keranos

*And why?

Ephara is good if you like flashing Hatebears. Fresh grip all the time. Common wins include a giant X-Spell like White Suns.

Keranos, because playing Land Destruction tribal is fun.

Wow l just realized it happens each upkeep instead of just your own. Turns out l cant fucking read. l always thought she was one of the more meh gods.

lve got a casual standard UW humans deck that abuses etb effects, and that would defs be fun to bring into edh.

I'm 100% okay with "choosing not to combo". I just personally don't enjoy winning that way, so I only use them as an emergency button for shit like "the movie starts in 20 minutes and nobody will scoop".

I have both. I've been thinking about building Hokori for a while, I just worry about my group getting super butthurt about hardcore stax. It'd probably teach them a lesson about interaction, which most decks are sorely lacking. One guy won off a Void Winnower once, simply because no one could remove i and I got hated out

So, here's what I have so far. Please feel free to comment, or suggest new shit.

Again, I know this deck is nowhere near optimized, and I'm okay with that- I'm mostly just building this for grins.

Pharika

FYI if it isn't on Tappedout, you won't get any input.

DESU I don't really want to share this abomination with my tappedout name at the moment.

I want to build Mono-Red Control. I'm torn between Diaochan and Kazuul. I want to build Kazuul, and I have a list, but I feel like it needs a lot of work to be a good control deck. Any anons mind giving me some feedback of what to add and what to cut?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kazuul-test/

I was considering it.

Found the sadist.

Since you're playing a tribal deck:
>Descendant's Path
>Alpha Status
>Chameleon Colossus (best fungus ever)
>Cover of Darkness
>Patriarch's Bidding
>Harsh Mercy
>Tribal Unity

Get Jokulhaups out of the sideboard, get a Nevinyyrals Disk, get an Impending Disaster

Honestly Pharika isn't the worst choice, indestructible commander, constellation triggers, death touch blockers

There's definitely better choices but I wouldn't call it sadism to play pharika

This is mine, if you want inspiration

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mushroom-madness-1/

I want to make a bant 'good guys' deck full of knights, paladins, and soldiers.

What's some secret tech?

>All those boardwipes.
Is it necessary to have three?

>three
Not enough.

I'm tired of posting my list.

Someone gets it. I also enjoy replacing graveyard shit with snakes. Sure, I don't get the snake, but I am a generous God.

Mirror Entity is pretty great if you're going wide. Also a fungus and a saproling. Very underrated card.

Just got home from a glorious session

>Playing Newzuri against sen triplets combo, oloro control, and gisela aggro
>had a crappy starting hand but hey 3 land and gyre sage
>ramp up and get good draws and triplets player was going after oloro for trying to play politics against him
>slowly beat down the gisela and oloro player not worried about triplets because he can't do much to me and his hateboner for oloro is strong
>plan was to play living hive and just wreck face but end up drawing overwhelming stampede with a 18/15 triton shorestalker with lifelink and trample.
>Ramp all my creatures to +18/+18 whopping total of 5 which were shorestalker, invisible stalker, newzuri, gyre sage, and forgotten ancient and trample and take out everyone in a single swing

Killing with a mana dork felt odd though

That's some pretty dank flavor. What a heroic shorestalker.

Knight Exemplar, mirran crusader. Not too savvy on soldiers though

I've used Biomantic Mastery in a U/G deck to turn value dudes like E-Wit and Archaeomancers into lethal and a half, so that seems like an obvious include. Hell, I've still got a stamped one from the draft set in GP Vegas, so I'll use that.

Mainly I just wanted to make sure that I could build a primarily Saproling/Fungus focused deck and have it not be a total garbage fire.

I like shorestalker, I mean I know its a typical pick for newzuri but equipping it with loxodon warhammer was just too good to pass up

>Karametra
Play dudes. Play bigger dudes. Make Avacyn/Archetype of Endurance happen
>Ephara
Flash Dudes and counter shit, folds when no counter spell in hand
>Phenax
Can actually mill effectively, the fuck?
>Mogis
Enchantress deck with no Enchantress and no style
>Xenagos
Life's a party and you're dead
>Athreos
Shadowborn deck that is dismantled 2 games later
>Pharika
Heart Headdress because she loves you (and can slow games down)
>Kruphix
Gimme two more turns after I drop him to do stuff
>Keranos
Literally an Artifact deck because "muh Izzet Artifact Commander when"
>Iroas
Swords of X and Y don't count towards Devotion

Phenax mill can actually be somewhat scary when you're hiding behind walls and control and then "End of turn, mill you for 20".

Hence why I said that. Fellow player in our group has a pretty competent Phenax deck with Undead Alchemist and Eater of the Dead being impressive in it.

I must have been inserting a 'you' in there mentally and reading it as "can you actually mill effectively?"

My bad.

I am too autistic for my playgroup. This is the third time I leave after a few games and end up in tears on the way home.

We played three games. The second game ended with the Temur player having taken 5 extra turns. 5! This is from a playgroup to that said "Did you see our power level?" when I asked if their bounce lands ever get Tectonic Edged.

One guy in particular was frustrating. He seems to have this insane notion that if you can't deal with the player that will kill everyone, your best bet is to ignore them and take care of the others.

I just don't get it. I don't get why I am considered the wrong one. I got into an argument over whether Identity Crisis is a mean card. It isn't. It really fucking isn't in comparison to the shit they do.

You should build mogis boardwipe tribal, thats how you get the most use out of him

>playing stupid Chandra burn control
>Get Goggles, but only have Fork
>no one casting worthwhile spells
>drop Pyromancers Gauntlet
>+1 for 4 damage
>Draw Furnace
>+1 8 fucking damage
>but no spells
>top deck Fiery Confluence
>Finally a spell
>wait... WAIT
>each mode does damage
>each node does 2+2
>doubled
>8+8+8
>Forked
>FORKED AGAIN FROM GOGGLES
>72 FUCKING DAMAGE
>mfw

First of all, I really hope you are joking about crying over EDH.

Second, don't bother. Find a playgroup that you have fun playing with. You and your current group don't have a deep enough understanding of the game to be an authority over what cards are unfair (although neither does WotC). Hermit Druid and many others are more unbalanced than nearly everything on the banned list or whatever it is you or your group is complaining about. So find a new group that agrees with your opinion of how competitive EDH should be and your ideal banned list or learn to enjoy playing at whatever level of competitiveness your current group plays. Judging by your post, your group's banned list would be 2000+ cards if they have a problem with Identity Crisis, and your's would be 3500+ cards if you have a problem with Tectonic Edge.

gimme some fun mono green and mono red commanders

Out of curiosity what's boring about Arcum? He seems like he'd be able to have a good amount of options and have some cool interactions. I haven't really looked into him much though so I don't know how he is.

Okay, so I've got a mono-green Molimo deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mo-knows-overkill/

It's your basic ramp 'n' stomp and the only deck of mine that pulls out a win more often than not in our group (probably because I can't curve for shit, so all basics is easy for me). Vigor's my star player, usually. My best tricks are Hunter's Insight + Mark of Sakiko on a beater, using Kamahl, Fist of Krosa to punish boardwipes, and sticking Strata Scythe on Molimo, backed up with Terrifying Presence.

But I'd like to make it more effective. While I peruse EDHrec, any thoughts?

Very fitting for Chandra. Go big or go home.

Well, Genesis is a staple. I used to run Kamahl myself but I felt lacking. Feels like green has little to no answers. I'm fond of Molimo tho, as he's my first legendary.

So after the new Tamiyo has been revealed I want to make a Bant Superfriends deck. Which commander should I go for? I was thinking Treva as I like the pro-tour art.

Commanders that tutor tend to end up being boring because they encourage you to do the exact same thing every game. In Arcum's case you'd want to assemble nevinyrral's disk and mycosynth lattice ASAP to lock out every other player. Muzzio is better if you want to preserve some element of chance.

>Tripfag
>OMG NEW CARD I WANT TO BUILD DECK11
>Superfriends

kys

I also used to get super worked up over edh games too. I'm going to give you a little lesson i learned that really transformed the way I play the format.

You are responsible for your own fun.

People love to argue about which cards are and are not fun but the truth of the matter is spells are fun when your casting them and not fun when theyre wrecking your shit. The game is a wizard battle to the death, thats the way it is.

The trick is to find a deck that you find inherently fun to play with, rain or shine, win or lose. If you're losing, find the thrill in the struggle. If your winning, find the thrill in knowing you could be blown out at any second (because you might, and it stings less when you anticipate it).

Do not enter games hoping to win
Do not enter games hoping things will go smoothly
You are not trying to make them have fun, you're trying to tap mana and play spells.
Do not enter games thinking your opponents are trying to make you have fun.
You have to make your own.

This doesn't really work if you're up against tier 1 combo, prison or stax but im gonna guess that its not quite that bad. If this doesn't work, just do what other user said and try and find a new group. But you really should address your emotional hangups, you're likely to find yourself in frustrating games in any group so you need to be prepared for that.

Nah, Tec Edge is fair. I was just giving an example of their power level, where bounce lands don't get fucked with.

As for the crying, it is honestly more because these games end up running late and my medication stops working. I have to take it at night, so. But yeah, a new playgroup is probably my best bet.

I just don't get what kind of playgroup allows people to mulligan to 7 every time but allows for taking 5 extra turns.

I have one deck that I really can enjoy no matter what happens. And honestly, in terms of cards played and cards seen, even that awful game was fine.

I guess my whole problem was I don't like when the whole table gets killed out of nowhere and that problem is even worse when playing with a playgroup who doesn't understand that the only way to stop that sort of thing from happening is to kill the deck that is willing to do that sort of thing.

But yeah, I need to stop trying to babysit the table. Every game I feel I am trying to babysit toddlers who happen to have knives instead of hands. If a game goes sour because people don't prioritize effectively, I can't get so upset with them and me.

The great thing is that then that Temur guy left and we had a three player game. I stomped, but it just wasn't fun. I told them I was thinking of cutting Gitrog and Life from the Loam because they don't seem fun and they just didn't understand. It won me the game after all.

>Playing Butcher of Truth in a 4 player game
>Take a few potshots from a T1 Serra Ascendant
>Guy changes his mind and starts hitting others with the Ascendant after a couple turns
>Turn 5 Kozilek with Greaves out
>Swing at Serra Ascendant guy
>WHAT THE FUCK BRO THAT'S ANTIFUN I DIDN'T EVEN KILL YOU BAN THAT STUPID COMMANDER
>mrw

This is why I have an Eldrazi titan in every deck.

That's real fuckin neato

And you get that every game? And I can't just kill it?

Black gets tutors, blue gets counters. Black also gets Praetor's Grasp, blue also gets rifle effects. All colors get Tormod's crypt and friends. A dedicated mill deck shouldn't care about Titans.

Fair enough. What if I out-control you with a Great Distortion+repeatable tutor lock?

I actually prefer playing against decks that can kill everyone simultaneously but that's because I hate waiting for the next game way more than I hate losing.

You should not allow for infinite mulligans, it encourages bad deckbuilding habbits that can last a lifetime. It's not even a fairness thing, you will become better players if you adapt to the official rules (but its also a fairness thing).

Its considerate to tune down a deck for your playgroup but you shouldn't feel obliged to. Perhaps they didn't understand because they're ok with being stomped, it happens a lot in edh (thanks sol crypt!). They were trying to stomp you right back after all.

>I actually prefer playing against decks that can kill everyone simultaneously but that's because I hate waiting for the next game way more than I hate losing.

Yeah, I just can't get over this. I don't even hate losing, but this type of loss feels different to me. I lose all the time, but the feeling of the entire game coming down to a single decision of not holding up mana or trusting your opponents to have responses, just bleh. Even if the next game starts super quick, I just have infinitely more stress because I basically need to have removal and answers 24/7 and can't ever feel "safe".

>because they're ok with being stomped, it happens a lot in edh (thanks sol crypt!). They were trying to stomp you right back after all.

And this is something I don't get too. I always assumed that this was the mark of a competitive player, but it clearly isn't. There are buttloads of casuals who are okay with getting the shit pushed in if it means that some games, they get to do the shit pushing.

I want to make a deck full of Flame Rift (damaging all players), to make other aggro decks more relevant in the meta. What's the best way to do this? Would RBW group slug with lots of lifegain to survive myself make sense?

Just to be clear, I'm not him. Rather, I was voicing my opinion that Titans weren't an unbeatable defense against mill.

If I were playing Phenax against great distortion, I don't think I'd be too afraid. I honestly have no idea what you mean by tutor lock, but you'd have to not only out control me as a UB deck, but the other people playing. You'd also have to get Kozilek on the table. Sure, tons of mana rocks and shit that come with mono brown, I've played and played against Kozi in my group a lot, but he's hardly unbeatable.

One of my favorite things to do is cast Hurkyuls Recall or Cyclonic Rift with Kozi's Draw trigger on the stack. All those mana rocks and no card draw. Oops. Sure, you have a handful of mana rocks to discard, but we all know what the CMCs are and how many you have at those CMCs. You also have to consider losing them for when Kozi dies.

They just need to print more exiling mill.

Oh that makes sense. I've been thinking about switching my Sidisi deck to a Gisa deck since I always end up tutoring for Necropotence or Cabal Coffers. The deck is a zombie tribal but I always seem to win with Exsanguinate and big mana.

Ok when i said trying to stomp you back i didnt mean people only play edh to completely dominate a game. A lot of people, including myself, do not enjoy extremely unbalanced matches regardless of whos winning. What I meant was, MTG is a fight. They can't get salty at you for playing gitrog and loam. What are they gonna do? Ask you not to play the cards in your hand? Ask you to stop playing lands because you're getting too far ahead? It's EDH, you play the lands you draw the cards and you cast the spells you can.

Every deck has that certain special combination of cards that allows it to go crazy, for you its gitrog and loam. For me its Traumatize and Mizzix's Mastery. They have their combos too. To ask otherwise is to ask people to remove powerful synergies from their deck lest they play them, which is a bit silly dont you think? Sometimes they have the combo in their opening 7, sometimes I have a counterspell in mine. C'est la mtg.

Well the obvious answer is Heartless Hidetsugu but if you want something a bit more flexible I heard Mogis groupslug is pretty fun.

But like, even I didn't enjoy winning via Gitrog and Loam, because Gitrog is a bit dumb and overtuned. It was a Sidisi deck, he's part of the 99. But they could've easily asked me to cut him, since he's a bit over the top.

Synergies are fun and it does feel great drawing a card off of Worldbreaker's activated ability, but I don't really see a problem with asking people to remove powerful synergies in their deck. Nor would it bug me if someone asked me. Sure, you can force people to run more answers, pay more attention, be more mindful, keep mana up more, but in a casual format, I don't really want to create stress.

I can't help but feel this playgroup is the worst of both worlds. Willing to run powerful combos or synergies, but not willing to run enough answers and reactive things. Maybe most EDH groups are like this.

They would need to cost it more than regular mill which is already barely powerful enough for EDH. And you would still need to run it with old mill to make up a decent cardpool. GY exile is plentiful, powerful, omni-color and cheap as shit so i think we're fine.

>the entire game coming down to a single decision of not holding up mana or trusting your opponents to have responses
>I just have infinitely more stress because I basically need to have removal and answers 24/7 and can't ever feel "safe"

Welcome to Magic, there are a plethora of cards that will end the game if unanswered. Even a Dryad Arbor can solo the game if you just sit there and let it. The less interactive win conditions are generally balanced by requiring more effort to put on the table (mana cost, specific combinations of cards, etc).

Let's say someone has Time Warp + Crystal Shard + Eternal Witness in their deck. Do they have enough mana and cards in hand to have this combination? What % of the time do they have this combination? What % of the time will another player have an answer? Do you have an answer? What is the value of keeping your mana untapped to cast your answer considering the % of time he has the combination? What is the value of playing a threat or developing your game? Play the line which has the highest expectation value.

Obviously in a real game, it becomes much more complicated and convoluted than this and your job is to figure out the correct way of play considering as many possibilities as you can. It can become incredibly stressful, but I also find it incredibly enjoyable.

You could also not think very much and play whatever you feel like playing. If he has it he has it, if he doesn't he doesn't. You will never be able to win every game you play. Sometimes you mulligan to 4. This isn't chess, there is a ton of variance.

I would say that Iroas is fun when played with soldiers

And what if people don't want to remove the synergies in their decks? What if the synergy is what makes playing a deck really fun? Ive got a tutorless slobad combo deck that is just a fuckton of artifact combo and utility peices that I draw into randomly and try and cobble together into a functional engine while my opponents bash my face in. It's extremely fun to play, looking down at some 15 spinning cogs and trying to figure out how I can make it all hum.

Unless your group is running infinite combos, holding up removal isnt necessary, just put them in your deck so you dont lose to everything over 6cmc. Running removal should cause you less stress because you're prepared for what's around the corner.

>You are responsible for your own fun.
This. This 100%.

I do weekly get togethers for 6-8 people EDH. In the past 4 months, I have won only once, and have only come in second twice. Most of the time, I am first or second out. But we sit at the table, we have snacks, we drink beers, we have horrendously bad movies on in the background and we all have fun and come back every week, even us losers. The enjoyment you get out of it is entirely on you.

My group is starting to get real tired of my Daretti artifact bullshit (not stax). But I like artifacts too much. What would be a good deck to build in its place?

Mishra.

MUZZIO

Karametra landfall is fun as fuck if you can remember half the triggers

Spent the last couple days working on this. I could really use some opinions, planning on taking it to EDH night at the flgs this week.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dakkon-blackblade-edh-4/

I've never actually been there before though so who knows.