/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

>Previous Thread:

>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH

mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/[WtF]The_Pack.PDF

mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_&_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
The Kickstarter for Beckett's Jyhad Diary is live!(Technically the latest news is Beast&Exalted shirts, but I doubt anybody gives a fuck about that)
theonyxpath.com/the-deluxe-becketts-jyhad-diary-kickstarter-is-now-live/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/beckett-is-live-or-something-like-that-because-he-is-a-vampire-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
What is the most powerful being?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zKPhjkw3Y84
youtube.com/watch?v=toe-8ykTUT8
youtube.com/watch?v=0XDhz5kanYk
youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What kind of slasher would Patrick "Dubs" Bateman be?

Charmer. Works so well that even when he tries to admit to it people don't believe him.

Okay, so I'm middling familiar with the game mechanics of WoD/CoD, but I've read a lot into the lore of Prometheans and Changelings in particular because they interested me the most, and I've poked my head into the room on Vampires, Werewolves, Mages and Changing Breeds. I mentioned at my local game shop last week that I'd really love for someone to run a game of CoD, and was met with an entire group of people asking me what that was. After explaining the general premise of "Modern world gothic horror game that has all kinds of nasty things that can kill you with a thought and game systems to play as several of them" I basically was told by about seven people that if I would run a game they would be interesting in playing.

Is there any specific book or online reference/resource that I can look to for a quick summary of the lore of the particular splats like Werewolf or Mage, as well as perhaps a beginners guide to running a CoD game? I know the general mechanics, but being familiar with D&D/Pathfinder, the health mechanics in CoD seem to gear more towards combat being used exceedingly sparingly with damage recovering over a course of *days* and not much health to begin with. I don't want to run a potential game group off by handing them a game of supernatural creatures and them not being able to let loose often enough to satisfy them.

Either way I'm not going to rush into this like tomorrow or anything, but any reference material or a point to the proper books/chapters to look at for this sort of stuff would be greatly appreciated. I have the entire collection in PDF, but with somewhere around 400-500 individual books, it's a bit tricky to find a starting point.

>I mentioned at my local game shop last week that I'd really love for someone to run a game of CoD, and was met with an entire group of people asking me what that was.

Wow, how times have changed.

Anyways, for online lore and reference stuff, there's the White Wolf Wikia, which has lots of in-universe info, but is a bit spotty at times due to being a wiki.

The basic lore of any supernatural creature can be found in their corebooks. These are usually books just titled in the X: the X format. You're going to learn the basics about Werewolves in Werewolf: The Forsaken, the basics about Hunters in Hunter the Vigil, and so on and so forth. In the first edition of CofD, all their lore is in Chapter 1, right after the introduction. In the second edition of CofD, all their lore is in Chapter 2, right after Chapter 1 which covers the splats. In WoD books of any edition, their lore is usually in what is called Book 1, which consists of the first three or so chapters.

Okay, that's helpful. I knew there were basics there, but I was also looking for something a bit more in-depth, perhaps a fan-written summary that might cover some of the more advanced stuff in brief and/or possible connections that could be drawn between multiple splats if so desired.

I know that CoD Vampires are basically all jaded immortals whose only real purpose in (un)life is playing political games and vying for power then eventually undergoing torpor and forgetting much of their past before they wake up again a couple of decades later, but I'd love something that also summarizes the Strix, some of the various clans/cults and maybe touches on the Tremere/Mage connections.

Likewise it'd be nice to have something that gives a quick overview of the whole Mage schtick, because that seems very complex what with Archons, Oracles and whatnot, but also the potential connections between Mage Arcadia and Changeling Arcadia, the sixth watchtower and what it's all about, all that good junk.

I just want to be able to give everyone at the table a good overview of what each particular splat could/would involve to gauge interest in what kind of game or character they'd like to play, as well as being able, as a dm, to drop in some lore-friendly NPCs from other splats without being completely off the mark. I think it'd be fun to run a changeling game where they encounter a mage that takes an unhealthy interest in them and has to be taken out, or maybe a Promethean game with a recurring vampire NPC that serves as a contrast to the quest for humanity.

I know bits and bobs but just something that could solidify all the more advanced lore into a solid narrative with the core stuff to give me a basic understanding would be great, then I could read more into it if I feel the need to have more information on what a Strix might do to a chronicle, or how an Archon or Oracle might directly affect players.

Anyone know a WoD character archive? Need some reference/idea to steal. hehe.

Cmon man be creative.

Hey guys, I don't know how many of you know C:tl premade adventures, but can you recommend one that deals with Changeling court politics?

I feel like I've never done Changeling politics well, and I want an example to work from for my players.

I think I can contribute a bit.

Vampire: You've pretty much got it for the basics. Some interesting other bits you may or may not know:
>Vampire blood causes Stockholm Syndrome.
>They are influenced slightly by the blood they drink, developing the accents and vague cultural knowledge of the local populace with each swig of blood.
>They can evolve over generations. Bloodlines gain additional abilities and weaknesses, and if cut off from the parent clan long enough, could theoretically become a clan in their own right.
>Each clan might have (read: probably did) originate as a distinct type of undead blood-drinking monster, and they've gradually evolved to be more like each other. A hypothetical non-Kindred breed of vampire, given enough time and exposure to Kindred, could *become* another Kindred clan. The Jiangshi presented in the 2E core are close to this, and there are other creatures (Check out Night Horrors) that could fill this role as well.
>They have "The Beast": The reptile part of the brain on supernatural steroids. They can use it to lash out at others, but it can also send them into a frenzy. ("Fight or flight" x10)
>The Strix can possess dead bodies, including "live" vampires. The only way to tell them from normal is that they can walk in the sun and their eyes have a yellow glow/shimmer, though they can cause this effect in others to make it harder to find the real culprit. They're also every bit as backstabby as Kindred, and often have their own power struggles.

Werewolf:
You're spirit cops. The "mortal" and spirit worlds used to be connected, with "the border marches" separating them. Your spiritual ancestors and their Father Wolf would hunt the marches, keeping the two worlds largely divided, despite being physically connected. This is because when humans and spirits interact, things go to shit very quickly. Humans have a disproportionate impact on spirit ecology and spirits have disproportionate power in "our" realm. But daddy wolf was getting old and the number of trespassers kept increasing, so YOUR spiritual ancestors killed him so that they could take his mantle and better fulfil his role. This fucked the world and split it in two, and now your spiritual "cousins", the Pure, are super pissed at you. This is ON TOP OF having to uphold pappy's duties to keep spirits from fucking things up in the mortal world.
>There are 5 "main" ancestors (who head the five main tribes), 3 Pure ancestors (the Pure have 3 tribes of their own), some dead and/or missing ancestors, and a cannibalistic fuckwit who claims to be the Lycaon from Greek myth who's also trying to ascend to the same state as the ancestors.
>There are other beings native to the border marches that got fucked up and splintered when the world broke. The rats chew through the barrier between worlds, causing chaos, and the spiders strengthen the barrier, but instead of balancing things, they want to separate the worlds entirely.
>Some of the spirits are mutant hybrids called Magath. In order to survive they must create essence attuned to them, which tends to wreak havoc. (A spirit of "books and lightning" is doomed to cause problems)
>Papa Wolf got rid of some alien spirits by trapping them on his wife, the moon. When mankind landed on the moon, we brought some of them back. They're spirits of things that do not exist, and are a bitch to get rid of because they can change their weaknesses and are effectively made of plot bullshit.

Demon:
>To them, the universe is the Matrix, and they remember some of the console commands. They just have to worry about getting caught.
>The number 4 shows up a lot for them, and is almost mythical: Their set of unique/personal powers caps at 4. There are 4 "incarnations" (what the demon's role was before it fell). They fall into one of 4 agendas. Their embeds (the aformentioned console commands) fall into 4 different categories.
>There's actually a 5th incarnation, but it breaks the "4" mold, so they often keep that part hidden from each other, as all demons are paranoid enough as-is.
>They can speak, read, and write all non-dead languages.
>They have perfect memories.
>They have perfect poker faces.
>They make pacts for souls in order to use those souls (or pieces thereof) to better hide from enemy agents.
>The God Machine (Matrix) and it's Angels (agents) are everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

In mass games, one of the major motivations for players, whether they admit it or not, is the advancement of their character. This naturally leads to lots of OOC politics and metagaming in the interest of their character's IC circumstances.

How can this be suppressed?

Mass games?

MUSHes, Chats, etc. Things with dozens, occasionally hundreds, of active players.

Restricted access to OOC knowledge.

That sounds easier said than done.

It is.
Which is why attempting to do so, with such a gigantic group of people, is so futile.

>What? There's an Abyssal Verge in a rabbit farm? Oh well, can't get too bad, they're just rabbits...
youtube.com/watch?v=zKPhjkw3Y84

What if you went the other way and encouraged it? The players are "playing" divine /"all knowing" entities that themselves are directing that player's "real" character. The entity has all the knowledge the player does, and gives orders/visions/etc to the character, allowing them to justify their shenanigans without utterly destroying the RP.
It's far from a perfect solution, but I find that working *with* tends to work better than working *against*.

One thing about the 5th Incarnation is that it's not even always a matter of being hidden from each other. They're quite rare and Incarnation on an in universe standpoint is something they just figure out based on what they remember doing, not something that's included in their Serial number. Most Analysts realize that they remember doing jobs that didn't quite fit along with the four known Incarnations, but don't realize that they're something beyond just an unusual Psychopomp.

Cyriak IS the abyss.

That is true
youtube.com/watch?v=toe-8ykTUT8

Invited to a Hunter game. The charater will be under Maleus Maleficarum/Society of Leopold kind of organization. The problem is, there's too much Hellsing on my head that anything I can think of become a boring Drizzt-level copypasta. (Aaaaaaaaaa-men!)

Can someone give me a fresh idea/concept?

>Can someone give me a fresh idea/concept?
No but I can give you a quote.
>"Piei esu dominei, dona ei es requiem." *Thwack!*

On second thoughts a flagellant Hunter might be an interesting concept.

Play a rock star/wanna be

Straight up, loves heavy metal and thinks being the son of satan is going to be great.

Don't make your character = his job

Maybe he collects rare books and the holy Hunting is an extension of his hobby. Maybe his dog was killed by a devil and he decided he wants his fucking dog back. Maybe he has a nephew who he adopted after his parents were killed by a drunk driver and this is the only way he knows to make that kid proud of him.

nevermind, this is lucifuge. Make a christian rock star, or just some chump catholic who got pulled into something way too big for him.

>Maybe his dog was killed by a devil and he decided he wants his fucking dog back

What a fucking hero

Are there any merits to help with resisting magic for a non-Mage?
The only thing I can find is the third dot of Division Six status

From the corebook: the Giant Merit, and Indomitable should probably add 1 to Withstand.

Dave implied that Indomitable applies to Awakened magic as well. Instead of the normal benefit you get +1 Withstand.

>Requiem shit

That's pretty weak, Holmes. No faux-Biblical garbage or ancient conspiracies baked right in?

I'd throw in

>Vampires eventually become unable to subsist on animals. Then unable to subsist on humans too, elders usually can only feed on younger vampires.

Part of me really wants to play either a bloodthirsty Methusaleh or a Thinblood Blood Doll thereto, but I just know it would get super weird super fast

>I know that CoD Vampires are basically all jaded immortals whose only real purpose in (un)life is playing political games and vying for power then eventually undergoing torpor and forgetting much of their past before they wake up again a couple of decades later, but I'd love something that also summarizes the Strix, some of the various clans/cults and maybe touches on the Tremere/Mage connections.

Don't look at vampires as jaded. Think of it more this way.
Every vampire is a predator. Every vampire is, ultimately, in competition with all other vampires. Since they are ageless, eventually, ALL other vampires will be a threat to you.

The Tremere/Mage connection seems to be via the Theban, who is some kind of crazy-powerful thing who lived back in the days of Rome. It's uncertain exactly what it is, but it is the source of both Theban Sorcery (presumably) and the Tremere (according to their own lore).
It's also mentioned in the Giovanni do-over in one of the Bloodlines books that the Giovannis have a tight connection with some "soul-eating, immortal, mages."

>Likewise it'd be nice to have something that gives a quick overview of the whole Mage schtick, because that seems very complex what with Archons, Oracles and whatnot...

I'll start with a few of the powerful beings.

Exarchs: Ancient mages who ascended bodily into the Supernal and rules it with an iron fist. Patrons of the Seers, gods of tyranny.
Archons: The old gods. The ones who used to be the big deal before the Exarchs. They are still a big deal, but the Exarchs are big deals too. There are a few who are exiled to the Fallen, these are generally known as The Bound. One of the Seers' sacred duties is keeping them bound, and the Pentacle tends to agree there, because no one wants angry gods stomping around in the world.
Oracles: Mytical creatures, said to be mages who ascended alongside the Exarchs, but fought them. Are said to have raised the watchtowers to allow others to Awaken. Unlike the Exarchs, they aren't directly active. One theory is that they became the Watchtowers. Another is that they never existed.
Aeons: The Astral representations of the Paths/Arcana, plus the Abyss. There are 10 of them, including the Abyss, because the Mastigos ones are just one being. It has a personality that can best be described as "Satan". Power equivalent to the mightiest spirits.
Annunaki: Greater Abyssal Entities. Entire living realities of Abyssal rules. Examples include: A time-line where the Abyss ruled since ancient Egypt, a reality where maths and physics work a bit differently, a reality where everything is constantly being destroyed. They are kind of a big deal. Probably on par with the Exarchs in power.

Does this game just not exist online or something?

Does anyone have the oWoD Werewolf:Apocalypse Apocalypse pdf? The one in mega is 5 pages of 'nothing'

>...but also the potential connections between Mage Arcadia and Changeling Arcadia, the sixth watchtower and what it's all about, all that good junk.

>Mage/Changeling Arcadia mixup.
That was done by the old Changeling writers, with no support from the Mage side. Any connections are being violently excised from canon with 2e.
>Sixth Watchtower.
There are plenty of myths allow people to Awaken to other Watchtowers than the big canon ones. To begin with there are five abyssal Watchtowers, the reflections of the "real" ones in the Abyss. The ones who sign their names on these are mostly already Awakened, who wish for more Abyssal power. But there are a few who have Awakened to them, being born to magic as Scelesti. This is bad news.
Then there are the ideas about the 6th and 7th watchtower, parts of the Tremere mythos. They conflate the watchtowers with the dragons, and have lots of weird ideas here. Apparently the 6th watchtower/dragon is the vampires in their entirety. But it's not something one can Awaken to, because that Dragon never left. The 7th watchtower is what they attempt to build by feeding souls into either the Abyss or a particularly nasty Bound. This, btw, also ties into the Vampire/Tremere thing, as it's yet another group of weird not-really-vampires with 7 as an arc number. VII! VII! VII!
There can also be False Awakenings, when a Mage Awakens to a Watchtower that doesn't exist. They have totally unique experiences, combinations of Arcana unknown to other Mages, have an intuitive understanding of magic, and grow faster than anyone could ever have expected! They are Teh bestest unique snowflake OC donut steel mages. Then they expode, this might be Abyss, but no one is really sure.
Finally, there is a 6th watchtower that's apparently a Forces/Spirit watchtower, I'm a bit unsure about that, since I've mostly seen that one in fanon mentions.

Two minor tweaks.
1st: I'd call them spirit hunters, rather than spirit cops. That's a bit of a nitpick, but the hunt is such a big deal of their makeup so I think it's fair to mention that.
2nd: I don't think the Uratha are Descended from the Firstborn. They are more like cousins. All of the Firstborn are children of Father Wolf and some powerful spirit. But when it came to the creation of Werewolves, Luna had to mix up humanity in it all, and they turned out completely different.
(There is also a cult who believes the Werewolves are one step removed, created by an Idigam, who in their views are the children of Luna. Which fits, mad and everchanging, and all that.)

>That's pretty weak, Holmes. No faux-Biblical garbage or ancient conspiracies baked right in?
The Lancea et Sanctum are pretty faux-Biblical to me, and the youngest of the Covenants dates from the French revolution, the oldest is from the days of Rome. They qualify as ancient, yes?

There's also the Cainite Heresy hunter conspiracy that considers all vampires to be the get of Caine and its their holy responsibility to hunt them down and STOP FUCKING PUTTING OWOD INTO NWOD ONYX PATH

>Take my favourite thing from dark ages
>Reverse it, make it modern and put it into another setting and edition

Just fuck my shit up

R8 my game, lads.

anime/vamp

I'm legitimately baffled by this. I understand the anime, because this shit is kawaii, but where is the vampire bit coming from?

WhyIOnlyPlayWithFriends/10.

Anime girls are deceivers who whisper little nothings into your ears while you're sucked dry

>Ascension
wew lad

>there is a 6th watchtower that's apparently a Forces/Spirit watchtower,
yeah, that realms inferior Arcana is Prime, so a mage from the Sixth watchtower has a Stand...but apart from that they are completely useless.

Do you know where it's from? I see it mentioned every now and then, but I don't know the source.

Ascension is great.

Finally someone who thinks this!
I can't get my head around it: Why do you like it?

I haven't the foggiest clue.

youtube.com/watch?v=0XDhz5kanYk
Something tells me that this may be an incursion from the Abyss.

It's from the Chronicler's Guide.

It was on subnet, dunno the source

Ah. So basically fanon then.

And it was terrible, basically it was a depiction of how not to make Watchtower (Seriously, why make Prime your inferior Arcana?)

For one, the premise is 10/10. Consensual reality is just a great concept that allows for players to do pretty much anything they can imagine.

Second, the setting is fantastic. Like literally fantastic, too. You have someone slinging atomic death lasers at an opponent who parries them with his fists; you have a traditional Jewish golem kickboxing Pepe; you have a little Time War going on between a dope fiend and a Nobel Prize winner, each trying to get the critical edge that wins them the fight before it starts; and all of this is happening on top of a futuristic battlecruiser as it hurtles towards the sun and maneuvers between the salvos of the pirate airships on its flanks.

Ascension is about that, and it's ALSO about the little tricks and feints you pull when reality isn't looking - to make the yellow light last just long enough that the garbage truck thinks it's going to make it, barrels through a red, and crushes that Syndicate fuck's sports car like a tin can.

It's a great fucking game, Ascension.

Now rate mine

Ah, got it. Taste differences, because all the things you rate as high points I rate as low.

Consensual reality is a messy and nonsensical concept. It also causes endless arguments about how Paradox works.

And regarding the setting? Well, that is kinda cool, but it's not magical. And it's just too gonzo.

Ah, historical games! Nice.

Classy.

>Be a demon who's carved out a nice living hiding away from the all-seeing god machine
>Some dickass mage thinks you're some twink ghost or something
>Can't take out your true form to whoop his ass
>End up doing what he asks out of fear of the God Machine

This is true suffering

>or any combination thereof.
surely you don't mean...GYPSY PROTESTANT THIEVES!
youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4

>it's just too gonzo.
I see, you're one of those nWoD SJW types.

What the fuck does SJW have to do with wanting to keep things a bit grounded?

Only a self-conscious SJW would respond to such obvious bait.

Come on Aspel, really?

Eh. I'm not Aspel, and I'm seriously confused as to what SJW has to do with anything. Is SJW just slapped onto everything CofD nowadays?

As a semi-joking insult, yeah.
I mean, even given the trans characters and shit it's really not that prolific.

CofD is pretty fucking SJW, I mean it literally shills trans shit, "alternative lifestyles", and includes sections of "gender and identity" in rulebooks.

Not only that, but the actual content of the games is far more likely to be tumblr-tier bitching and moaning about petty, insignificant shit, instead of being super powered badasses who stalk the night, kick wrinkled elder ass, and take True Names.

I have a problem with something from Awakening 2e. Which spells need to be given an Indefinite duration and which effects can be made Lasting? The books mentions that I have to decide which are irreversible, but what does that mean in practice?

I mean, it really makes worlds of sense that a game about Mages would go into a lot of detail about gender and identity and alternative lifestyles. You're probably just a white male bigot who is upset he's on the wrong side of history. Jus' sayin'.

Well meme'd.

Yeah. Lasting effects are done after they are, you know, done. Indefinite just doesn't end.

But how to differentiate between the two? No idea.

So what are the problems with CofD, mechanics-wise? I don't really get it and I'd rather not realize it in the middle of play. I just want to have a good time.

What cool shit can an Arcanthus do?

Has a Moros/10

true that, Moros are a best.

Could one make Magic; the Gathering style Weirds using Matter and Forces?

I don't even think you'd need Matter. Though Mind would certainly help. Or you could use Forces+Spirit or Death.

Literally everything. Acanthus are broken good now.

>There is also a cult who believes the Werewolves are one step removed, created by an Idigam, who in their views are the children of Luna.
Source? That sounds like the kind of thing I'd like to have as secret canon in a Werewolf game.

Lodge of the Quicksilver Children, page 216 in WtF 2e core book. One of Chris Allen's pet projects.

Let me guess, their totem is Gifmalu Igizalag, isn't it?

Chris has actually corrected me on this before: "Firstborn" are Father Wolf's First Born Children, not the same as the First Pack, who were the first Werewolves.
Although I think he said it's up in the air and wibbly wobbly and people today might view them as the same or whatever.

There really aren't any. A lot of people need to have that explained to them over and over again, though.

Eh, don't think so. It'd be a wolf-themed Idigam, and according to the Lodge it's sleeping under Gevaudan in France. (Famous for a historical wolf rampage).

I AM really curious about more of this Lodge. It'd be fun to see Chris say what their special hunting stuff includes.

The only issues I've had are keeping track of conditions, and that my players seem to succeed on rolls a bit more often than I'd expect.
The last one may just be because I'm used to running DungeonWorld style games with a focus on "failing forward".
Also, jesus captcha, why are you so interested in store fronts all of a sudden?

I've had this idea for a while. What if there was a mass game like the MUSHes or the Chats, except nobody actually had "their" character?

Instead, people would run for the position of being that character for a particular scene. The motivation to do a good job is that by convincing the player base that you're a good roleplayer, they're more likely to give you a shot in more important roles, like Prince.

In addition to this safeguard, the logs of the scene can be made public, and players could vote to canonize it after the fact. So if you really fuck up, not only can you be denied future opportunities to play the more interesting characters in the setting, but your actions can be undone outright.

This approach doesn't remove OOC politics, but embraces them, and behooves players to invest in the game itself (to gain favor from their peers) rather than in their characters.

How does Veeky Forums feel about this approach to a WoD game? Is it worth a shot? Has it been done before? If so, what were the outcomes?

>It'd be a wolf-themed Idigam
So it might be Lul'Aya, The False Father, I guessed The Explorer at first because he's blob of metallic goo that meld flesh and essence together at random and creates horrible, horrible things from them and because...well...the Lodge has quicksilver in its name.

I forgot to reiterate: you only control characters on a scene-by-scene basis. Once you're done in a particular scene, that's it. You lose control of the character after than ad have to "run' for it again, like it's an election.

>The Lodge of Quicksilver Children is a cross-tribe fellowship of Forsaken scholars and historians who have been plagued by one particular question over the ages — if the Uratha are children of the spirits of Mother Wolf and Father Moon, why are they born of humanity? If their inheritance is from two spirit-gods, why are the Uratha themselves not spirits?
>The lodge finally believes it has pieced together the answer from scraps of lore about the Formless and the Coalesced. The startling conclusion of the Quicksilver Children is that the offspring of Wolf and Moon was, in fact, anidigam. Thatidigam— the true progenitor of the Uratha — coupled with a human sorcerer in a pact or ritual that remains a mystery to the lodge. From that union, Uratha were born with less of the Moon’s changing Essence roiling through their bones. They were truly half-human.
>The lodge believes it has pinpointed the location where this very idigam is slumbering. Unlike the other Formless, they believe this one was left unharmed because the Wolf refused to harm its own child. The Quicksilver Children have dispatched agents to Gevaudan in France.
>The Children intend to raise up their progenitor and study it. Some, though, plan to go even further. They want to petition theidigamto serve them as a totem, heralding a new era wherein the Forsaken can be unified under their true parent. Unsurprisingly, the Quicksilver Children are keeping quiet about their revelations for now.

They might've learned about both.

I like it overall, but the elections could be a pain.
The voting process itself would take a lot of time out of the game, and any retconning/do-overs would take even longer.
Then there's the issue of checking for people doing fake accounts to give themselves votes.

It's not impossible, but it's got issues.

It'll become a clique-ridden shitfest within a week. People will only let their friends play the characters that matter, and won't let other people do anything important with characters that don't. It's going to be very, very toxic.

>What if we took all the biggest problems with MUSHes and made them even more convoluted?
That would really only work in a small group.

There aren't really "problems". There are a few things where they made bad choices (I agree with Touhou that Plans have a stupid roll) but those are so easy to ignore, handwave, or change that it's honestly not even worth mentioning. It's not really a game with glaring deadly problems for the most part, just things you and your group might prefer to do differently. The biggest problem is just that: A lot of it is written with the assumption that YOU as the ST will be the control valve. You don't want Mystery Cult Influence to be "Ten Merits worth of good stuff that's exactly what you want" and would prefer it was used to bolster Social Merits like Resources and Allies and give some Specialties? You're the ST, that's your decision.

For instance, combat. The book would prefer if you statted characters reasonably, but there's honestly nothing preventing you from taking more Athletics than is reasonable to have a super dodgy character, since it's the only skill that matters for Defense; my tweak:
Defense is [lower of Dexterity or Wits] + [lower of Athletics or Brawl].
"Parry" is a 1 dot merit that allows you to use Weaponry instead of Brawl if you've got a weapon.
Anything that says you lose your Defense (All Out, maneuvers, etcetera) only removes your Skill to Defense. If you've already lost your Skill, you lose the Attribute. (So you can All Out and use Bring The Pain)

It also helps if you start each round by going from lowest Initiative to highest and asking what people are going to do, then going highest to lowest and doing it.

Yeah sock accounts would be one of my concerns. I'd have to find a way to weight votes. Maybe total word count of "accepted" scene posts = your vote count.

But I agree. That would be an issue. And the word count thing is just an idea.

Thing is, mass games like Fallcoast, Wanton Wicked, etc, are *already* super toxic. So the thing is, would this make it even more toxic? Or would having a system that acknowledges the OOC politics and shit while building it right into the system that dominant cliques can be supplanted at least alleviate the toxicity of those games... to an extent?

It's hard to tell. Would it be worth a shot, maybe two or three, to see if it works out?

>I agree with Touhou that Plans have a stupid roll
What would you suggest?

It's neither Gifmalu Igizalag nor Lul'Aya.

What's buried in Gevaudan might not even be an idigam, the Quicksilver Children just *think* it is.

FWIW, I run France as having an unusually high number of werewolves Changing in it for some surely unrelated reason.

Anyone?