Oblivion

Alright Veeky Forums I think its about time I actually committed myself to actually finishing this game. But first things first. Are there any mods that you guys recommend that improve game play, visuals, or otherwise just make the experience better? Especially looking for mods that make characters not look like overgrown potatoes or mods that improve stealth mechanics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wHL7zyLsQ2k
wiki.step-project.com/User:Hishutup/OblivionGuide
obse.silverlock.org/
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/2097/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/22368/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5296/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/9969/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10739/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45033/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/30054/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/37825/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/18305/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/34199/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/2909/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44501/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/18498/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/28378/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/16513/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/7327/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10763/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/2182/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/8574/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5170/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10239/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44585/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/17747/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/39804/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/14200/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/35593/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/9333/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/15412/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/19370/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/13834/?
tesrenewal.com/
boss-developers.github.io/
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44676/?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>characters not look like overgrown potatoes

But OP, what's the fun in playing Oblivion then?
I played it again all the way to the end a couple months ago, and I am certain, now more than ever, that the funniest thing are those goofy voices and animations. It's just perfect the way it is.
Well, aside from gameplay of course.
And terrible glitches.

I recommend you go with Morrowind instead. In Oblivion they cut out all the cool lore shit, and in Skyrim they cut out even more. Morrowind kept the cool lore shit.

There are some really good fan made patches which address those, you can find them on nexus and elsewhere.

/tgesg/ please, we're not all lorehounds.

Why bother finishing Oblivion when you can go back and play Morrowind?

Ok OP, here's one that you _need_ and that barely anyone recommends; Oblivion Scaling Unclustered. If you are looking for one simple mod that would make Oblivion a more interesting, enriching experience, it's this.

If you really want to experiment with the some of more sophisticated mods go ahead and download oblivion script extender.

Isn't this more /v/'s jurisdiction?

RAEVWD makes all the elven ruins and old fort viewable from a long distance away, rather than having them suddenly pop into existence when you enter their cell. Sounds minor, but makes a big difference to the visuals.

Honestly I'd recommend modding the game yourself for balance. I could never find a mod that did quite what I wanted on that front.

Because Oblivion is charming and comfy and it's quests are great.

It is if you're a newfag.

Commander Keen lad

I know why you might think that, but no.

I tried to get my load order for you, but I haven't played Oblivion in years now and as soon as I did, NMM decided it was time to try and update to the next installation format, failed, and pretty much fucked itself.
Now there aren't any .esps in Data Files at all.

Basically that's the sort of thing you're looking forward to with Bethesda games. Be ye warned.

Then why bother?

>it's quests are great.

The main quest is fucking shit.

>be criminal
>be in jail
>suddenly emperor and guards
>they open a secret door
>literally the only secret door in the game that can't be shut once opened, because [muh plot]
>escape after the emperor
>shit happens, he dies
>take Amulet of Kings
>Baurus: "Where's the Amulet of Kings?"
>Escaped Criminal: "Um, like, the Emperor totally gave it to me."
>Baurus: "Oh ok, well I guess I'll tell you where Jauffre the secret head of the Blades lives and trust you to take it to him. I mean, an incarcerated convict is trustworthy, right?"
>Go to Weynon Priory, meet Jauffre
>Tell him I've got the amulet of Kings because "the Emps totes gave it to me, honest m8 XD"
>Jauffre believes me instantly because [muh plot]
>Doesn't know me from Adam, but tells me where the Emperor's secret heir is and trusts me - an escaped convict with no way to verify my version of events - with rescuing the sole surviving Septim and the only thing standing between Tamriel and the Prince of Destruction
>because [muh plot]
>totally well written great quest!

And that's only the opening segment. Also, reminder that it's a pushy-as-fuck quest in a sandbox world, and that's never a good combination.

True that, but side quests are basically infinite and very, very well made.

>Baurus: "Where's the Amulet of Kings?"
youtube.com/watch?v=wHL7zyLsQ2k

Now you're sounding like /v/. Oblivion wasn't Morrowind, but that doesn't mean it's automatically shit. The problem with a significant chunk of criticism I see about Oblivion is that a lot of people hold up Morrowind as the ideal standard to which all TES games should be measured. All the TES games are exceedingly well done and loads of fun to play in their own right, regardless of the other games in the series.

wiki.step-project.com/User:Hishutup/OblivionGuide

Go nuts. Hope it works better for you than it does for me; once I get to a certain step my GPU starts crashing.

Morrowind is the opposite, it's main quest is good but the rest are copy+paste crap with one or two interesting ones slipped in, and when you get to the end of the line they give you your participation award so you can finally leave them alone. The only real difference is after you clear out the ruin/tomb/cave of generic encounters, you either fight one specific bandit, read a book, or collect the mcguffin.

Even back when it was new I expected Imperial Legion to be the shit, policing the state, oppressing the plebes, laying siege to filthy grasslander mud villages and the occasional settlement shakedown - But no, you just go to Bumbfuck Cave and fight some dude a dozen times, until the plot twist at the end where you go to an even bigger cave called the Arena and fight a dude who happens to also be a terminally bored Legionnaire and just wants to end it one way or another.

>Oblivion protag being a walking improbability machine isnt the best part of the game
>Dagon's elaborate plan being foiled by literally who walking into his realm and ruining all his shit doesnt make for best protagonist

You dumb bastard. You only do the main quest up to the point you have to, UNLESS you want to see Dagon fight Akatosh.

Otherwise, you play Oblivion for the Black Hand, Thieve's Guild, Mages Guild, and mods.

>Black Hand
I know I'm splitting semantics here, but the overall questline is for the Dark Brotherhood.
You s'wit

I played Oblivion for countless hours, on close to a dozen characters. Not once did I ever complete the main quest.

As far as graphics mods go, the best ones are:

>OBSE
obse.silverlock.org/
Pretty much required for any other mod to work.

>Oblivion Mod Manager and/or Wrye Bash
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/2097/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/22368/?
Pretty much required

>Better Oblivion Sorting Software
See above

>Unofficial Oblivion Patch(es)
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5296/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/9969/?
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10739/?
See above

>Memory Purger
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45033/?
See above

>Oblivion Graphic Extender
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/30054/?
Pretty much required for any graphics mod to work

>OBGE Liquid Water
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/37825/?
Make water look better and lava look like lava, rather than red water.

>Oblivion Character Overhaul 2
Makes people in Oblivion look like actual people rather than bipedal potatoes.

>All Natural Weather
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/18305/?
Overhauls Oblivions weather and lighting systems. Required for Immersive Interiors (which is the shit)

>Immersive Interiors
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/34199/?
Lets you look out windows, and lighting in houses changes depending on time of day.

>Get Wet
Gives characters a sheen on their skin and armor when its raining or they just finished swimming
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/2909/?

>Mesh Improvement Project
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44501/?
Improves most static 3d models in the game

>Qarls Texture Pack III
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/18498/?
MASSIVELY improves all textures in the base game

>Bromet Texture Pack for Shivering Isels
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/28378/?
Same thing as Qarls, but for SI

>Better Cities
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/16513/?
Makes all cities in the game much larger and more populated, so they feel like real cities. Not strictly necessary, but nice.

>Night Eye Shader Switcher
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/7327/?
Let's you change how Night Eye looks, so it's not just blue all the time. (I recommend the Edge Detection one (pic related))

DarNified UI
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10763/?
Another borderline-necessary one, this mod makes navigating menus and inventory management a million times easier

>LOD Texture Replacement
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/2182/?
Enhances the textures used for distant terrain, so everything looks a little better.

GW71 Life Detect
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/8574/?
Changes the Life Detect shader so it looks like you're seeing blood flow through people's veins.

>Spell Icon Replacer
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5170/?
Recolors some of the spell icons so it's easier to tell what does what at a glance.

>Kals New Lightning Effects
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10239/?
Makes lightning spells look like actual lightning

>Cave Textures
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44585/?
Ports in cave textures from Skyrim

>Main Menu Movie Replacement
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/17747/?
Replaces the map background on the main menu with landscapes of Oblivion

>Sounds of Cyrodiil
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/39804/?
Adds a shitton of ambient sounds to the game for more variety

>Mannimarco Revisited
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/14200/?
Changes Mannimarco from some pussy High Elf hiding out in a cave to a terrifying liche with a proper villainous lair

>Falling Stars
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/35593/?
Occasionally see shooting stars at night time. Simple, but nice.

>Denock Arrow
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/9333/?
Let's you denock drawn arrows with the Z key.

>Kvatch Rebuilt
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/15412/?
Adds a new questline where you help rebuild Kvatch, so it doesn't just remain a ruin for all eternity.

And, last, but not least:

>Unique Landscapes
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/19370/?
Adds a bunch of hand-crafted landscapes to the randomly-generated parts of the Cyrodiilic landscape, adding a fuckton of variety to the continent.

>Unique Landscapes Compatibility Patches
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/13834/?
If you get UL, makes sure to check the compatibility patches for Kvatch Rebuilt, and/or any other mdos you get which might conflict with UL.

Flipside is that Morrowind has terrible gameplay compared to Oblivion.

tesrenewal.com/

Good posts user.

Just realized I forgot to give links for some of these. Woops.

>Better Oblivion Sorting Software
boss-developers.github.io/

>Oblivion Character Overhaul
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44676/?

I'd definitely suggest Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Makes it so enemies are set for certain areas, so you might find rats in one cave, and a bunch of wraiths in the crypt next door, instead of always finding the same bad guys everywhere depending on what your level is.

Begone, Satan. Come back when you've played the Telvanni and the Mages Guild questlines.

Okay, buuuut whodunit is the best quest in the entire series bar none.