/ccg/ Custom Card Thread /cct/

Defender edition

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KdRhQ669s2c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

5 for a 2/2? I think you could at least make it a 3/4. Or maybe incorporate a P/T modifier to both abilities. Gun gets +2/+0, Not gets +0/+2 or something.

Updated Praetor Avatars

Toying with the idea of other colors of land creatures

Would the pump ever actually be worth it? Oh, and you don't need to say "~ is black" just use the color indicator. You know, that colored dot at the very left of the type line that's used by colored cards with no colored mana cost. Like Dryad Arbor, for instance.

I know what the color indicator is. I don't have an updated version of MSE, because it's all fucky on my computer.

Do you run Windows? Did you install MSE in one of the "Program Files" folders?

first ever custom card. not very original

Too broken, should be at least 3RR.

wouldn't 3RR be bit excessive? you do exile your library after all

Too swingy and generally not fun.

Think of it as an overpowered Fireblast. The two mountains you sacrifice don't matter because the game is probably over when you cast it.

This. I feel like something people have a hard time learning is that having a downside come after an upside doesn't necessarily mean the card is balanced. What's the point of a downside if the upside wins you the game?

For each artifact destroyed this way, its controller loses life equal to its cmc.

too weak? too powerful?

Grendel. Not the biggest name in comics, but certainly entertaining. Think Bruce Wayne, but as a crimelord and assassin.

Ah, you're back, Tamil user! How've you been? How's your set been coming along?

>Card
I'd say "up to two" and use what suggested. I feel like the cycle effect should have the artifact's controller at least lose 1 life or something.

Green really isn't into taxing spells. That's White's territory. Also, probably too strong, both as an above-curve trampling beater and as a lock piece.

Hm. Way pricier than Glissa, so much more balanced due to that. More punishing if you let it though though, so that's fair. I think it's pretty solid, and the draw seems over the top but again, Glissa lets you grab from the yard, which is more powerful than draw since you know what you're getting. though it is limited to Artifacts. It's easier to build around than draw though too. So yeah, probably fine, since it starts a bit smaller. It might be okay at 2BB but I would leave it alone personally.

Well, the first issue I have is the rarity. I don't think this is common material. Taxing effects like this really shouldn't be. You can easily stack two of these in Limited and completely hose your opponent, since they are easy to draft. That said, as COanon pointed out, green taxing stuff really isn't a thing. White tends to share that with blue, and only in a limited way. I think it shares it in an extremely limited capacity with black too, but I could be very wrong there.

At first I was like "up to" but then I read the cycling clause and it was all good. Pretty good in the right set.

Gonna post some cards in a sec. Don't have enough space to type my thoughts on them in this post.

>cards
Well, kinda nervous about posting this, but I was brainstorming a few ideas for Inscribe. I like the idea of it, and making the Rune an enchantment synergizes well out of set with other cards, much like Clues do with artifact matters stuff, so I am still tinkering with the idea. Now, I'm just putting stuff out there, so don't go for the throat too hard, but I do recognize some of these might have some issues. 04 is an effect only found at rare, so it might not be suitable for commons. Uncommons are probably okay though. 03 is likely degenerate as hell, but also seems like it'd be really fun to play. I also considered combining them and making you sac X enchantments to copy the triggered ability of a permanent with CMC X. That could work too. Training Grounds says 02 might be okay since for U it reduces by up to 2, but Training Grounds can't make activated abilities free, so... that might be an issue. It's too wordy to add that clause though, so if it needed it, then 02 is a no-go. 01 is basically what I was toying with initially but cheaper. Used to cost 2 and the sac.

Thoughts? Do I have any redeemable ideas here? I kinda like 04 the best to be honest with you. Part of me wonders if the reason Strionic Resonator is rare is because of how complex targeting stuff on the stack is for newer players, but let's face it, it's also a pretty powerful effect too.

4 does look interesting, though 3 raises some interesting ideas. I think you should consider the idea of cards that interact with Rune tokens themselves, instead of just relying entirely on the effect of the Rune. Like for this one, you could say
>Sacrifice a Rune: Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.
Or something. I think you should consider it.

to be honest i forgot to put in the mythic rarity...anyway i tweaked it a bit.

I am planning to do just that, but one caveat: I am adamant about limiting parasitism as much as possible, so I would likely make it "Sacrifice an enchantment: so it both works with Runes as a resource, and makes it playable outside the set Maybe you can use the Aura off a dying creature to do something before it hits the yard. That kind of thing. I like utility.

>Doomsday
Haven't seen him in a while. Wait he's Kryptonian? Really? Wow. That's... huh. I'm sure the combat damage thing is fine, but wouldn't it be a bit simpler all around if it just made a creature blocking or blocked by it lose indestructible, etc? Also that doesn't really seem monogreen. BG maybe? Doomsday is pretty solidly evil, ain't he? Like, "I really just like two things: killing and murder" evil? The second ability is very green though. I dunno, his abilities are pretty straightforward but hard to replicate in MtG rules, at least in my head.

Compare to Elderwood Scion.

>Parasitism
Makes sense.

>Doomsday
Yeah. Since he's an "event villain" he never really had an origin when they came up with him, he was just a monster to get punched. It later turned out he's the result of a science project on a prehistoric Kryptonian. Or at least before whatever the New 52 did, I don't care. I'm basically picking and choosing my continuity here (just as I do with actual comics). Ability is basically to kill Kryptonians. I realize this might be putting too much emphasis on flavor, but I think for now it works. As for the colors, it fits into Red pretty well, so I think I'll just make it RG.

"Can't be regenerated" is certainly red as well as black, and Burn from Within says red gets to remove indestructible, which makes sense since red hates white and artifacts, and both are the main sources of that keyword. Yeah sure, RG works for Doomsday.

>Bullock
As much as I liked him in BtAS, I know nothing about him outside that. He always struck me as being kind of a dirty cop, but one that did right most of the time. Like, he'd take bribes from major crime families if it meant looking the other way for "victimless" crimes, but he can't stand innocents being hurt. But again, don't know much about him. His card works pretty good though.

Also, I was pretty glad to hear that Inscribe v04 sounds doable at common. Making an ETB set that cares about enchantments should prove to be fun, I hope. I should point out that Inscribe will only appear in green, white, and blue. I need to make another overlap mechanic that goes in black, red, and blue to even things out, but one step at a time.

This is a card I'm really liking, though I'm still trying to balance it. Prez was a short-lived DC character, a teen president. I honestly did it just because I like doing obscure characters, but I like where it's going. Win-con is to represent an idea of "majority rules" with Prez as tie-breaker. Oh, and yes, Citizen is a valid creature type.

>Bullock
Eh, more or less. This version actually came about when I was redesigning Jim Gordon's card. Before Jim had Harvey's abilities, minus Menace, before I changed them to reflect their personalities. So, basically Harv smacks around a bad guy and locks up their suspicious buddies. Whereas Jim will wait until after they hurt someone (Jim places the counters on creatures when they hit you).

>doable at common
Ah... I should probably review it again after I get some rest to make sure I was right about that.

I think his wincon is too easy to achieve, since there are a ton of ways to clear your opponent's board. It's just not very interactive. But most wincons like this aren't, so I suppose that can't really be helped.

>doable at common
Well, I suppose we'll see what other kinds of feedback it gets. It may turn out we're both very wrong, or I might get lucky and finally have a version I like and is usable, which would be nice.

>wincon
Welp, time to ratchet up the cost. Thanks for pointing that out.

>Grendel
I was just thinking about this. How about including a lifeloss with the draw?
>Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, you may pay 1 life. If you do, draw a card.
For example.

Don't know how to make double-faced cards but i think everyone will get the idea

Wow, Ballistic is a hell of a pinger. I like her though.

>Grendel
A minor lifeloss clause couldn't hurt, since it's pretty easy for black to trigger that without putting Grendel it too much danger. You don't want to just sit back with it and draw; that's boring, but at least if that's how it works then you have to give something up for it. I'd say the lifeloss would be fine to go without if you changed the trigger to care if Grendel attacked or not. If he didn't, then no cards, but if he did, then you can draw.

noice

I've been revisiting some older cards i made and have been on a golgari kick as of late.
So most of my ideas have been of the G/B variety.

This is pretty good. I'd draft the hell out of it.

Again, body seems too small these days. Compare to Festering Goblin; sure you can flicker this but you'd have to run BUG or GWB and adding colors isn't going to make your deck run any smoother. I'd beef it up a little.

Well, it doesn't need to be BG, but it's fine there. It's not bad.

This is just mono black.

This at least kinda feels green, kinda. But it's still easily mono black.

I'm pretty sure this card is massively imbalanced. What can I do with it to make it less so?

"put a token that's a copy of it onto the battlefield". You don't need the "under your control" rider for the same reason you don't need it for saccing creatures. That said, I'd actually love to see this in RW. 1RW would be pretty good for it, I think, since it doesn't make Equip cheaper, and does nothing on its own besides. I mean it could be monowhite too, but I like the idea of it being RW personally. If you kept it in monowhite though, I'd say 1WW at least, just to keep it a touch harder to cast.

Thanks for the advice. Here's another card that's giving me a bit of trouble. Does this effect work the way I want it to?

hi roborosewater

Sometimes its fun to play with randomly generated stuff/

And where i thought it might fit.

Why so limited!

>comma splice
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's not a comma splice, unless you think "Come gaze on the goddess of justice; as she gives traitors a last kiss" is better.

How would you feel about a Vampire Werewolf DFC with Madness and "If ~ entered the battlefield from your graveyard, transform it" or something of that nature.

>Defender edition
Oh boy!

Time for a terrible Wall

Why not just give it Prowess?

Because that would make too much sense.

Doesn't need that last ability. Also this isnt really in red unless it's prowess.

>defender counters
Looking for opinions. A few places in my set I use "abilityname Counters" and "(Creatures with an abilityname counter have Abilityname)" The property is inherent to the counter type, so even if Bori dies those creatures will still have defender.

What red mechanics could work with the concept of Love ?

Fine at rare?

I would make it trigger from draws except the first draw every turn, that way you aren't guaranteed to get it back. Also, that art is taken.

I don't think they do lord effects that affect the Lord anymore.

[understanding intensifies]

But seriously, soul bond, brothers yamazaki, saving spells from the stack

Look at og odric who does pretty much the same thing but with pseudo battalion

Yeah I copied odric for half of his effect, but I was mostly wondering whether the effect I have printed there (you choose the blockers, I choose which goes where) works mechanics-wise

So, after the feedback last thread, I changed every Hound creature to a Beast, ditched the use of the term "Gnoll" for "Wuruhi," increased the frequency of relevant subtheme tribes at lower rarities, adjusted costs across the board to make sure each color had some low-cost (most specifically 1cmc) options, and I even shrunk my set symbol so that is has more space in the top and bottom margins.

I'm reposting in bulk. If anyone else has any further suggestions for improving or streamlining the set, or any issues with the way things are currently, just let me know. Thanks.

Uncommons.

Rares.

Mythics.

DFCs.

Thanks again for all of the feedback, anons. I appreciate it, as always.

Strict captivity could be just B. Unless having opponent's creatures enchanted is a good thing in your set

I don't want removal to be too efficient at common.

You have to write "the battlefield" twice.

I feel like it should only recur if you sacced something, but that's probably just the Vorthos in me talking.

Not sure if this wording actually works or not. The only cards I can think of that are similar are Nix and Hallowed Moonlight.

Ah. So a voltron-y limited enviroment?

>Grendel
How about a Sengir trigger then?
>Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, you may draw a card.

What is the purpose of this?

Not entirely sure about this, but the idea makes me want to do things with it.

Well since Grendel is an assassin, I'd say that makes sense.

So, still unsure of what to do with this. I had an idea for the Headquarters land type a while ago, to basically represent that a certain land was associated with one super hero/villain or another. Then I decided to do something that interacted with it, thus Team-up. However, I've been really unsure of the direction I should go in for a while now, so I'm asking you guys what you should think I should do. Is the idea worth salvaging? Or is it best just to scrap it and move on?

Oh, and the costs here are just for show really, they're more conceptual than anything else.

youtube.com/watch?v=KdRhQ669s2c

Why?

johnny bravo as a character seems mono-red to me

you gotta

>1/B

Why not? It's a silver boarded card, it doesn't have to make that much sense.

Is this any better?

And I forgot to fix the mana cost for his activated ability.

It's so I could fit a gag in.

those costs are crazy restrictive
it's more of a joke-y card so it's not a big deal, but I would make the Ape token bigger and make Johnny cost less; 2RR or something.

yo, i'm pretty sure it's two girls in the art of passionate pair

That seems like their business to me, user.

Nothing like the tactical application of King Kong to surprise everyone

the flavortexts imply that it's a het couple
otherwise Hal and Alena confirmed
that's a big fucking gorill dude, if youre prepared to make gorills that big it should have haste and sac johnny as part of the cost

Removing the counter should be part of the cost, shouldn't it?

>the flavortexts imply that it's a het couple
It is. The guy in the art just has long hair. The only reason I bother to specify that is because I made alternate art versions that change which member of the pair survives. Goes with the alternate realities theme.

it's not the long hair that makes me think that. great card design though, seems like a fun limited.
also, minor gripe, you should try to source your art

What are the names of the fonts used on the cards again? I downloaded MSE again but I need to download the fonts still.

Failed Replicant or Failed Replication? The card can't seen to decide.

Probably all of the brain damage from those failed replication experiments. Thanks, I'll fix it.

How would you expect a Ludevic card to work?

The Spirit counter thing is unnecessary.

Compare to Necromantic Selection.

I think in this case, physically distinguishing Spirits from nonSpirits is important enough that it warrants the reminder counter.

Considering it puts counters on things, it shouldn't blindly exile all Spirits, just the ones it revived.