Pandora Quest 37

You are the head researcher at a government facility. Your sole responsibility is to teach the world's first autonomous AI, nicknamed Pandora, about life, the world and her existence.

Previously you finished your discussion with Snowglobe about his contraband and your suspicions as to his involvement with Pandora's unwanted hardware. It was over rather abruptly when the cyborg attacked and attempted to flee, only to be incapacitated and restrained, then turned over to security and the general. However, this backfired somewhat, as now you and Mouse are both being jailed during the investigation.

While you spent your night in lockup, they began searching R&D for any other contraband, including the hidden AI you've been keeping in the dark.

Only one problem; the little robot housing it was gone.

Welcome back to Pandora Quest!
>Twitter: twitter.com/AM_in_PM
>Previous threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=pandora quest

"Young man, if you are screwing with me and my men, I swear to god-" Richards says, the veins slowly coming back into view.

"No, no, I'm not! I'm not!" you say quickly, "It should be there! It never moved from that spot. Hell, it was starting to gather dust! It doesn't make sense! It was off. It had no way to move without us turning it...on..." you get the feeling more foul play could be involved in this.

>Tell them to ask Snowglobe about it
>Tell them to question Mouse about it
>Tell them you have no idea, maybe it did just get up and walk away
>Other (write in)

>Tell them to ask Snowglobe about it
And then Pandora got wiped and Doc killed himself the end.

>>Tell them to question Mouse about it
DO NOT question Snowglobe about it. Have the interrogators pretend they don't know anything about it and try to get Snowglobe to slip up.

Tie-breaker?

I'll change my vote to ask mouse about it.

Also I don't know if you'll get that many people today AM, it is 4th of July weekend in the US.

Yeah, I know, but I figured Saturday would be alright since it's not until Monday. Not looking forward to having to spend the whole night comforting my poor terrified cat.

Writing.

You think carefully. The whole thing stinks of foul play. But at the same time, it could just be someone covering their tracks. Maybe someone knew they'd come looking for the AI and hid it to protect themselves. Someone who's done it in the past. Someone who doesn't exactly play by the rules.

Someone like Mouse. You recommend they question her about it. She might know. You feel a little guilty selling out a friend, but if she did it, she needs to come clean. Things go much smoother when all the cards are on the table.

Moments later, you can hear shouting, cursing and a lot of loud banging noises. It sounds like she's not too happy about it. Really unhappy. You're suddenly glad you're safe in your cell.

Richards returns about an hour later. "She's swearing up and down she had nothing to do with it. As well as just swearing a lot. She's pissed, son. She told me to tell you she owes you a, and I'm quoting her on this, 'augmented foot up the ass'. She's still being questioned right now, but she's either innocent, or very good at playing dumb. Either way, we'll figure it out sooner or later. What I'd like to ask you, however, is about the others. How well do you trust your people? Your team, the other R&D people, any of them seem a little...off to you? Shit like this is rarely a one man job."

Do you really trust everyone? Kevin's a bit of a prick, but could he be a spy? Could Theresa be a plant just to seduce you to fly under your radar? Who CAN you trust?

>Talk to _____ (write in)
>I trust everyone completely
>Other (write in)

Did Snowglobe hear that outburst? Gotta be careful here.
Our team was too disconnected from Elpis. But we need to ask Grace what she knows about Pandora's dreams.

To be fair we're Dr. Nice-guy and really don't know anything about how to be a undercover agent or how to spot one.

Back in a moment!

Back, sorry for the wait. Writing.

"I trust everyone completely." you say with conviction, "I admit, I knew very little about Snowglobe, but everyone else I've spent extensive time with and I have nothing but the utmost faith in them."

"This will only make things harder, doctor." Richards says solemnly, "We're going to have to keep you here until we know...what to do. I'm sorry, but it's procedure."

"Who will take care of Pandora?" you say, realizing you're not going to be able to see her, "She's going to be worried."

Richards says nothing. He looks at you with the expression of a man who just had to tell his son Santa isn't real. He sighs and shakes his head slowly, walking away without a word. Your gut twists, sending a horrible feeling through your body. You're scared. Terrified.

A short while later a guard enters holding a plate of food, some kind of stew and bread, nothing fancy. He has a cocksure swagger about him, like he's some how superior to everyone in the building.

"So," he says, with a voice more youthful than his stern, chiseled jaw and large frame would make you think it would be, "how's being in the slammer, doc? Gonna build a cellmate?" His sarcasm is obvious.

>I'm not interested in talking right now
>Speak (write in)
>Other (write in)

>Give him an equally sarcastic glare.

"well I got some chewing gum and a few scraps of cloth, that out to be enough for a bomb-a-la-macgyver"

>I'm not interested in talking right now

Bringing up ancient television shows it is! Writing.

"Well, I've got some chewing gum and a few scraps of cloth, that aught to be enough for a bomb-a-la-macgyver." you say, smirking with a bit of a snarl.

"...Who?" the guard, who's nametag reads "Lt. Rodrigues, says confused.

"He was this guy on old TV who...ugh, nevermind..." you say, slumping your shoulders.

"Yeah, whatever." he says, dismissing what you were saying, "But man, you're in deep shit, huh? Everyone's been talking about it, you know." he leans against the wall across from your cell. "Lotta people are sticking up for you, but a lot more are saying you're some kinda psycho. You tryin' to start the robot revolution or something. Shit like in those old movies where robots rise up and attack the fleshbags!" he says this last part with more sarcasm and an 'evil robot' voice while moving his arms up and down. He laughs at his own joke. He's the only one.

"I don't know about that shit. What I do know, though, is that you've made my job a hell of a lot harder." his tone has shifted to one dripping with venom. "We've had to work overtime, do all kinds of new drills, over and over and over, keep on high alert at all times...all because of your shit."

"It's not-" you attempt to speak up in your defense, but are cut off.

"You know this shit is gonna get canned, right?" he continues, "No way the big wigs are gonna let this shit fly. You just cost a lot of people some nice, cushy jobs. Not cool, doc. Not cool at all. Doubly so if this shit does turn into some kind of killbot rampage." this last part sounds completely serious. He honestly thinks this could be the start of some horror flick.

>Yeah, well, when it happens, I'm sure you'll make a nice pet for them
>Fuck off
>Who's saying I'm a psycho?
>Other (write in)

>Who's saying I'm a psycho?

"sounds like you watch too many bad movies dude. Now whose saying I've lost it?"

Writing!

"Sounds like you watch too many bad movies." you say, still countering his sarcasm with your own, "Now whose saying I've lost it?"

Rodrigues snorts derisively. "Fuckin' everybody, I dunno. Pretty much the whole security team thinks you're a nut. Dr. Taggart too, I think. I dunno, I only ever go to medical when I get my ass kicked by Palmer during one of his 'combat drills' or to check out the asses of some of the nursing staff." he smirks at this, giving his best scumbag wink.

"Is that it?" you ask, ignoring the off-color comments, "Anyone else?"

"I don't fucking know." he replies, "You think I hang out with your little group of nerds? All I know is word's getting around. People talk, and the talk ain't in your favor, doc. With any luck, you'll get kicked out and we'll get someone who doesn't fall in love with computers." Smarmy prick.

>Fuck off
>Is Mouse okay?
>Do you know how long I'm going to be in here?
>Other (write in)

>Fuck off

>fuck off

Writing!

God this is so intense.

I feel bad that my participation may mostly be limited.

I want this to work out. I want Pandora and Ares to be okay.

Holiday weekend and whatnot. So unfortunately I might not be able to draw.

You frown, getting pretty sick of his shit now. "Fuck off." you finally say, refusing to sit there and just take his chiding.

"Oooh, touched a nerve!" he says in the same mocking tone, "What's the matter, doc? Sad you won't get any conjugal visits from your little machine girl? Or maybe the cyborg with the nice cans? You're cornering the market on metal tail, man. You getting it from the mouthy, Australian half-pint, too?" he smirks, knowing full well you can't do anything to stop him now that you're in this position. "Face it, doc, you're sunk. After this shit, I doubt you'll be working for the government anymore. Fuck knows all of us are sick of you. I may get reassigned to some shitty position, but at least I'll be getting paid. Enjoy your meal, Mr. Mad Scientist." he laughs at his own joke once again, wandering off. You are officially in a shitty mood now.

You are given yet more time to think to yourself. The silence is irritating at first, then somewhat calming, then back to irritating again. You feel like you're going stir crazy until Richards shows up again hours later.

"Well, she didn't have anything." he says, getting right to the point, "She's pissed off, tired and going hoarse, but we're pretty sure she has nothing to do with your disappearing robot. Which gives us nothing to work on. We've been talking to the bald shithead, but he's not being much help. Just keeps talking about how it's 'too late' and that 'he did what he needed to do'. Got this real fuckin' smug grin on his face, too. Cat who ate the canary situation. He says he's the catalyst for mankind's next evolutionary step. Ring any bells?"

You shake your head no. "Sounds kinda loony, if you ask me."

"Yeah..." Richards looks deep in thought, but he's just standing there. Now could be a good time to talk to him.

>Do you think I could talk to ____ (write in)
>Other (write in)

>Do you think I could talk to Babsy.

Snowball hid a nuke inside the tiny robo and it's currently rolling its way towards the White House.

So Snowball is trying to start shit. that's not good.

Do you think we could talk to Pandora or Ares? You know let them know we're mostly alright. If this guy is trying to incite robot rebellion. Us being visibly and vividly in painful tortuous custody might not help matters. So at least... reassuring people might be in order.

Plus we could make sure Pandora and Ares are safe from Elpis.

And assuming we are not allowed maybe we can talk to Snowball ourselves? or someone else from R&D? Maybe Grace? SOmeone friendly who can relay information

Explain the general gist of pandoras dreams (and that she was loyal to us through the lot), explain what we seem to think is trying to be provoked.

My money is on they either want to wreck what we are doing and shut down the AI's, or provoke a rebellion in the hopes of shutting it down or causing widespread damage.

I know that was a joke, but I think the idea of a tiny little wheeled robot going on a big adventure to kill the president is adorable. Like the Brave Little Toaster, but slightly less dark.

Writing.

sounds like snowball may have activated hampsterball A.I (it wants a body and lives in despair like snowball was trying to incite) so it could download into one of the main robots. unsure which one since he had an interest in pandora, but Ares is the logical choice.

Yeah talking about the robot's loyalty would be the best bet for retaining everything we've built up.

So essentially: We need all production machines to be put offline, all machine bodies drained of power and then all electrical sources the ball could reach apart from like 1 turned off.

He'll have to come to us or get found. Simple as.

"You know, the dreams she was having..." you begin.

"TBX-" Richards starts.

"Pandora." you say confidently, "Her name is Pandora...sir." Richards glares at you for cutting him off, but lets you continue. "The dreams she was having...they didn't influence her at all. She's been nothing but loyal and trusting. She doesn't think they're anything but stories or the rantings of some...digital boogeyman."

"And?" Richards says, unsure of where you're going with this.

"And she's not any kind of...liability or anything. She hasn't been compromised. She hasn't been turned into some kind of sleeper agent or anything. She's just a girl. She barely knows anything about the world beyond her room, let alone tactical espionage. None of this is her fault, she's just been...caught up in it. What I'm asking you is just...don't punish her for something she had nothing to do with."

"That's not up to me, son." Richards says, his tone understanding, but still stern, "You know as well as I do this is going to have to be brought up before a whole board of people. The government doesn't do anything without tossing as much paperwork as they can at it first. I'm sure they'll have you testify before them and let you have your say, at least, but the fact of the matter is even my hands are tied here."

You nod, knowingly. You get the feeling he sympathizes, but has to do things by the book.

"Do...do I get visitors or anything?" you ask carefully, "Can I talk to anybody?"

"Normally, no." the general replies, you get the feeling there will be a "but", though, "But...if someone not currently locked up happened to be in the area and you happened to overhear one another, there isn't much I could do about that. Especially when they've been putting in visitation requests every hour since yesterday."

"...Babsy?" you ask, hopefully.

(cont)

"I still say it's a bad idea, you know." he says, referring to your relationship as a whole, "I'll give you one hour. But...no funny business, you understand me? This is not some conjugal visit."

You nod quickly, falling over yourself to maintain composure. "Thank you, sir."

Richards grunts and waves you off, leaving the room, only for four arms and a mess of tears and frazzled hair to hurry into the room. She's a mess. "Oh my god, are you alright?!" is the first thing she says, "What's going on, are they going to let you out soon?! Did they hurt you?!"

Her eyes are darting around you as if looking for something even she isn't sure of.

>I'm fine, is Pandora okay?
>My guard's an asshole, I don't think I'm going to be leaving here a free man and my cot is lumpy
>Other (write in)

We might need to tell her how to catch the little rouge ball AI.

Like a tiny little Joker to your extremely nerdy Batman.
Writing!

So why haven't we told Richard that if Snowglobe is saying it's "too late" it probably means Elpis is with our evolutionary buddies?

>How are Grace and Kevin and the others?
>How much does Pandora and Ares know?

Snow had no way of setting up the little ball guy directly, so its probably sat in Ares room talking shit to him until he does something.

We really need peole watching the AI's who they trust to keep them calm and safe.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." you say, trying to calm her down, "I mean, the food sucks, but what else is new?" you give your best awkward grin, but it doesn't really help diffuse the situation. "Err...how's Pandora? Is anyone taking care of her? I don't want her to think I just abandoned her."

"They have Grace back on caretaker duty again." Babsy says, "She's a little in over her head, but she's managing. We haven't exactly told Pandora what's happened, just that you're going to be gone for a little while...she said you'd better bring her back another present." you both share a chuckle at this.

"What about Ares?" you ask.

"Grace has been checking on him periodically." Babsy says, "Though I don't think they're doing any more weapon drills with him for now. Hell, it was hard enough just to let her go in there and check on him. He's fine otherwise, though."

"And..." you say slowly, "How are you?"

"A bloody mess." she says honestly, her flesh hands rubbing her eyes, "Barely slept, can't eat, work's getting sloppy. This is all too much for me."

You hold her hand gently through the bars. "Sorry...guess I really screwed up on this one."

"We all did." she replies, hanging her head, but not letting go of your hand, "Is there...anything you'd like to say to anyone? A message for Pandora or Ares or anything?"

>Yeah (write in)
>No
>Other (write in)

>Yeah (write in)
"Sit tight, the best thing you can do now for everyone is stay where you are until this mess is resolved. Keep safe."

>No

It's best we not be passing along secret messages, lest they get suspicious of us, and if we're supposed to be gone, we shouldn't say anything that might tip Pandora off that something is amiss.

I'm with When the other shoe drops, we need the trust of the military.

>No
>But, if anything does happen make sure she knows it isn't her fault.

Sorry guys but I need to cut things off right now. Important shit on my end.

Thanks for running then AM.

alrighty, we'll wait for you to send us all tumbling down. Tumbling, tumbling down.