mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>June 2016 Survey
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

>Old Thread
Have you guys used any homebrew and had a lot of fun with it in a campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Unified_Setting/Corgyn
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Would using the Goliath stats for a Firbolg be reasonable?

yeah thats perfect

Thinking of an upcoming plot point where the party finds a ring of controlling a golem, then they go to not-Egypt to uncover the golem and be able to use it in future sessions.
Any suggestions on ways to personalize the golem or tweak it for different combat options?

Carpet of Flying, DMG, p. 157.

Does anyone here actually follow the daily intake of water rules to the letter? Seems mental that you need to drink two waterskins worth of water a day to avoid exhaustion. I get that adventuring is thirsty work but that's nearly double the recommended 2 litres of water a day!

If your group does follow those rules properly, how do you travel long distances without stopping?

Have fun.

Well i used the " Wot4E revised " homebrew for the elemental monk.
It's pretty good and puts the monk on pair with the land druid.

I work as a construction worker and drink at least 3-4 literally per day so they are spot on.

Hey, any guys got any ideas on how one would properly implement 4e's take on Dark Sun into 5th edition?

Thri-Kreen would be infinitely easier to balance given the nature of the bonus action attacks and lack of multi-attacks makes their four armed capabilities not inherently overpowered

My big hurdles would be getting back Psionics, since the closest thing there is, is a 10 level abandoned test packet from WotC for the "Awakened Mystic"

It seems pretty legit as a statistic.
However, I have yet to run a game focused on survival and resource management, so I've mostly just let them find streams when scouting for food, or consider their skins big enough to hold whatever they need for a day.

>wat do when not spooky
Same as a wizard, studying arcane lore, delving into secrets of the plane of shadow/shadowfell/weave of toril, cliche stereotypical wizardly bullshit. In practice, it depends on what kind of spells they know.

>hit points
they had a die size higher hp than wizards in 3.5, same as warlocks, so i put them with the same hit die as warlocks in 5e.

>DC 15
Good catch. Its supposed to be Wisdom(Perception)

>spell uses per spell known
They dont cast like regular spellcasters, nor do they get the ability to upcast spells with higher level slots. Its one of the drawbacks of the class, as well as having its own spell list.

>spellcasting modifier with markup
noted, ill update it soon

>shadow cast
ah, yeah a relic from 3.5 i copied it from. ill also update this, good catch.

>0th level
another relic, ditto on update.

yeah I converted most of it straight off the 3.5 book, The class has a fair amount of versatility, like most spellcasters: what it does depends on what spells they know. The archetypes presented were 3 of the prestige classes from the original plane of shadow, each built on the base shadowcaster by specializing in one particular area of expertise. Compare to the warlock: pet class, faux melee martial fighter, or better spellcaster.

>bonus weapon attack
is not an attack, as a bonus action you can modify your attack to have 15 foot reach.

>lore
honestly, i got lazy and just typed that out. officially they do intense study on shadow magic and use the reflections of regular spells from the material plane into the plane of shadow to draw their power.

I get that completely, if constant labour, fighting or other strenuous tasks are at hand then it makes complete sense (although it does also say to double the amount of water required if it's hot, which could be considered the "right" amount for those tasks). Thing is it's an every day standard amount, which is why I'm questioning the amount for non combatant days spent travelling or whatever.

I think I'm going to go with 1 waterskin being enough per day when nothing has really happened.

My players decided not to take a carriage to the front door of the BBEG's castle but scale 1,000ft cliff and break in through the back window into the family crypt

Is he a necromancer?

depends on the edition

So ive been watching a lot of apacalypse now/full metal jacket/we were soldiers type vietnam movies and want to make a nam campaign, any ideas? Any ideas what race to mke the gookers? Ive thought goblins/kolbolds/snakepeople but not sure.

Kobolds probably. Theyre the ones with the best traps. Small, so they can hide really well. and they have the whole tunneling thing going for them too.

>10 level abandoned test packet from WotC for the "Awakened Mystic"
That was their second version of it, posted just back in February. It's not "abandoned," it's likely to show up in the "mechanical expansion" book they've talked about, either this spring or the fall after.

He's got a bit of a tubby belly.

not rly but its all the blood

Would rocs make good hueys? Alchemiest's fire is napalam. I thibk im going to have the players start as members of the military. Ill let them know that beforehand, and if they decide to desert a rival party can get sent to terminate their command. Terrminate with extreme predjudice.

>5eg
>depends on the edition
What the fuck mang

because I didn't remember off the top of my head and I started running the campaign well before CoS was even announced so I had to pick a homebrew Strahd.

Oh man. Chrono Trigger.
That shit will forever be my jam.

Oh, makes sense, then, my apologies.

> Have you guys used any homebrew and had a lot of fun with it in a campaign

Erry damn game. I mourn for the unfortunate souls that don't brew their own content.

>Have you guys used any homebrew and had a lot of fun with it in a campaign?
I introduced some variant mundane equipment recently and my party enjoys it quite a bit.

For a different campaign I made some fast-and-dirty high-risk-high-reward crafting for the smith and poison-lover in the party, they are slowly making use of it since they can do it with an hour here and there without dedicating entire days to it.

that sounds cool, care to post it?

No, but I'm working on a miniature splatbook project while I run my games, and am hoping to get some homebrew options for my players out there within a little while.

When I say fast-and-dirty, I mean it. They really only existing Roll20 handouts but I threw them in a PDF for you.

And here's the mundane equipment stuff.

>dex melee character buys a garrote
>party goes into a sea cave and fights some Sahuagin
>immediately choke-grapples their leader with it

i love this, thanks user. will steal

How does this make you feel, /5eg/?

triggered
I hate finesse in general though as a design concept.

I'd rather it be an estoc and deal piercing damage.

It does make strength feel pretty weak.

In our game the DM has basically just declared that rations include the necessary food for one day.

How much influence do your warlock patrons have in the story-arch of your campaign?

Not enough.

tied to one of the other bbeg's of my game

I have like 6 going on at once

it hurts to live

While replaying Dragon Age Origins today I fell in love with the Reaver Specialization again.

They are basicly Barbarians who can deal AoE Damage to everyone around them in exchange for taking damage themselves and can regain HP when killing enemies.

I never played 3.5e so I don't know if their was ever anything like this in one of the hundred splats but I think it would make a cool archetype.

Has anybody converted the Veeky Forums homebrews for Fey Corgi to 5e from either the 3.5e or 4e versions?

Never seen them before. Links?

I need art of Tiefling paladins or Tiefling Avengers

1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Unified_Setting/Corgyn
Stats for 3.5e and 4e are at the bottom of the page

wow.

do you think it falls within the bounds of fluff to make a custom background's Feature a magic tattoo whose only function is to identify my character as her patron's knight? so functionally pretty similar to the standard Feature for Nobles, in that she has a noble title and gets treatment accordingly, but it's a fey title rather than a hereditary one and there's a neat but mechanically-neutral magic component to it. What would be appropriate as the magical effect- like, could it normally look like a mundane tattoo, but at will she can "activate" it and people who know things about fey nobility will recognize it as representing the title of her patron (and designate her relationship thereto)? obviously having it cast light or impose any sort of effect on anyone else is a no-go, but is a neat visual effect something you'd allow in your game

I'd allow it, ask your DM

This is mostly really good but there is a balance issue with the jagged longsword in particular. As it stands with the jagged LS there is no reason to pick a plain LS over it other than RP reasons since it is strictly better mechanically.

yeah definitely, right now I'm making characters without having a group in mind but if I ended up using this character in a group I'd run it past the DM first. just wanted an outside opinion about whether it seems reasonable

>splintering arrow
I don't have a problem with the balance, but I wouldn't allow it just out of ridiculousness. Also, should probably have a save or attack roll for the other damage.

>helmet has no effect with heavy armor
For what reason.

I think most of the heavy armor is implied to wear a helmet already, but anyway I think that item sort of gimps some of the heavy armor just by existing

If you state that wearing helmets limits ranged weapons, then heavy armor clearly doesn't come with one.

True enough. I don't know though, I didn't write that stuff.
Seeing as it's unofficial you can change it anyway

I suggest knocking it down a die, and adding +2 damage vs unarmored targets.

I fucking love the lucky feat

>DM: ''Damn, you get critically hit with the greataxe''
>Me: ''No''

If by "nothing has really happened" you mean the characters literally stayed at home all day, then sure. But just walking around would make them thirstier than that.

Where did you get the 1 liter statistic? I definitely drink way more than that, and I don't even leave my desk chair that much.

Lasers, obviously

Unless you're trying to make some racial politics point, I'd make the Vietnamese a different faction but not racially distinct from the good guys. There's really no point otherwise, it'd just reduce the horrors of war, and that's the opposite of what a 'Nam campaign should try to accomplish.

Walking all day sure, but I don't think riding on a horse or in a carriage should be strenuous

>homobrew

I personally have a penchant for non-magical gadgets and gizmos. Ignore the ones from the PHB, they're only there because they're not included in the SRD.

I like a lot of the concepts (atlatls FTW) but I really don't understand the reasoning behind some of the choices.

For example, why would a jagged sword deal more damage than a smooth one? It'd definitely hurt more, but it would have a much lower chance of lopping anything off or causing very deep wounds because it would tend to get caught on ribs and flesh and such.

And why would a buckler give you better AC than a regular shield, however briefly? Bucklers are literally smaller, less cumbersome, but less protective shields.

And why a 2d12 bow? What game purpose does it serve to allow low-level PCs to deal double damage?

I do love the retroactive buff to whips. I'm probably going to steal that part.

Then you've clearly never ridden a horse.

...Yeah. But it's probably not quite as hard as hiking all day. And in any case it's an extra mechanical incentive to going on horseback.

Sure, no arguments there. But I still think that 1 liter a day sounds a bit low. The health advice I'm finding on the internet (the most reliable source) is 2 liters a day, which is probably where D&D got the number for its rule.

Let's see if I can figure what they were getting at.

Tearing increases pain and stopping power, which probably does more to drop a fighter than causing a deeper wound. I think though probably not as much as an extra die worth.

The bucklers maneuverability is key here, you aren't just putting up a barrier you're taking the time to intercept.

I have no defense for the bow.

I have a question, my cleric just hit level 10 and got divine intervention, roleplay wise, what does it mean? I have enough power that my deity actually cares about me?

I think the toothed sword is actually in PoTA or something like that, somebody mentioned it a few threads ago
I'd personally say just add 1d4 damage or something instead, maybe give a save

>DM: "The monster has lucky as a feature."
>player's face when

I suppose pain is good for stopping power, but so is chopping a man's arm off. I guess that just shows the limits of the hit point system. Either way, 5e doesn't need this level of detail in weapon rules.

I'm not sure the buckler is any more maneuverable than regular shields. Quite the opposite, in fact, because you don't have a grip on it.

The problem here is that different people need different amounts of water. That average recommendation is two litres a day, while the minimum is about one litre. That's a litre to function without suffering from dehydration.
The water issue really boils down to the campaign type too. If it's regular adventuring then just give them their water and move on, if it's a survival or resource management then there should be simple system to manage how much water the PC's need.
I would say that a water skin contains enough water for a regular person to get through a day(actual litres is less important to me), and an adventurer could stretch that a number of days equal to their CON modifier.

>The bucklers maneuverability is key here, you aren't just putting up a barrier you're taking the time to intercept.

Which is harder. If I was going to try to represent buckler use in d&d I'd probably do something similar to the Defensive Duellist feat. Say...

Buckler
When you are wielding a buckler alongside another one-handed or versatile weapon and another creature hits you with a melee attack, you may use your reaction to add 1d4 to your AC for that attack, potentially causing the attack to miss you.

Sure, most people would prefer a flat +2AC and to keep their reaction by just using a shield, but that's why most people used shields instead.

You're implying regular shields don't need to be maneuvered into place to block attacks. Shields are difficult to use and require skill and focus, but it's implied you're employing skill and focus when you wear them (if you have shield proficiency). Bucklers should be no different - it's no more an action to use them than it is to try to dodge or parry, which are all parts of AC. There's no need to "actively" use your defensive measures.

For the record, I don't like Defensive Duelist either, for the same reason - it implies parrying is some exotic technique rather than every fighter's bread and butter.

>muh bucklers

No love for targes, eh?

The rules aren't really good at simulating how a buckler is used.

Instead of passively protecting a large area of the body, it's used very actively and often very close to the opponents weapon, to get in the way of his line of attack and spoil his strike, as well as used offensively to punch with etc.

Another major thing about the buckler is that when you're using it close to the opponent you are able to block his line of sight to your weapon when you strike, so you make it harder for him to avoid/parry/block it.

The best comparison is thinking of it like a fistfight, and putting your hand in a guys face while punching him in the gut, or holding his wrist/grabbing at his hand when you're close so he can't get a punch in.

A closer rules representation would be letting you attack with the buckler and the level of success giving your opponent a negative modifier to his attack roll or to his defense roll.

>Tearing increases pain and stopping power, which probably does more to drop a fighter than causing a deeper wound

But this is 100% D&D videogame logic. A deeper wound produces more shock and bleeding, which is what's going to put you out of the fight, and it's very up for debate how much extra pain or tearing a jagged blade really causes. It's not BARBED, it's JAGGED, so it's not like it rips a chunk out of the guy when you pull it back.

The ONLY situation I can picture where the jagged blade is actually better is for something like really heavy draw-cuts against opponents without armour, or with thick cloth armor, but that's very situational and D&D doesn't really have the combat rule granularity to make it useful. In every other situation it's worse than a plain edge.

When talking about "bucklers" here people are pretty much referring to targes. Historical bucklers are just smaller shields designed for hand-to-hand combat rather than protection against arrows.

Self-correction: they're referring to what YOU described as a targe. Historical targes were also gripped in the hand like normal shields.

Strangely enough, I can't find a good historical account of a shield that ISN'T gripped. I'm starting to suspect D&D invented the whole thing.

Who does archery better, battlemaster fighters or hunter rangers?

A bit less than that, you have just enough standing in its service that if you call out to the divine it just *might* hear you.

Then by all means just treat them as shields.

My main point was that basically by definition a buckler is harder to block with than a shield, because the area is covers is smaller. You're still putting up a barrier, you just have to be more accurate because your barrier is smaller, albeit slightly more manoeuvrable.

As for Defensive Duellist, it's not meant to be basic parrying. That IS part of your AC. Defensive Duellist represents you intentionally putting yourself on the back foot and focusing on defending yourself. This means you're not as quick on the offence so you probably won't get an opportunity attack if they disengage (uses your reaction), but you're doing your level best to stop them from hitting you (more AC).

Ditto for the Dodge action. It's not basic dodging while fighting, it's you completely dropping your offence (uses your action) in order to not get hit (imposes disadvantage on incoming attacks).

Where are you getting that from?
and
are both pretty clearly talking about bucklers

Targes are kinda shitty except that you have your hand free, since you're holding the shield closer to your body when presenting the front of it, compared to a buckler.

The targe, historically, was most famously used by people who used it as their main source of protection, and who got pretty crushed: 17th to mid 18th century Highlanders.

>My main point was that basically by definition a buckler is harder to block with than a shield

You're ignoring the fact that in one on one combat a buckler is held much closer to the opponent than a shield is.

You notice how you can cover the entire world with your hand if you hold it right in front of your eyes? It's kinda like that. It's not used passively to the same extent like a shield, absolutely true, but you can't really look at the surface area when making the comparison, the point is that a buckler is lighter and easier to use close in to your opponent, which actually gives you a LOT of protected surface area in practice, by blocking his line of attack close to where it starts, rather than trying to stop it at the end point.

D&D doesn't really model things like this well though, so I agree that it's easier to just treat it like a shield.

Battlemaster Fighters. The Hunter is MAYBE better when fighting tightly packed hordes of small, weak creatures, but in every other situation Battlemaster does it better. Swift Quiver almost makes up for the attacks-per-round discrepancy, but it's a fifth level spell and at level 20 you only get to use it twice a day.

In all cases here when saying "buckler" people are referring to the small shields that are supposedly strapped to your arm to allow you to carry stuff in it, which is what that poster defined a targe to be. Where I'm getting that is the description of bucklers in 3rd edition, which was the last time D&D had them.

But again, I'm not even sure that kind of thing exists.

Shields aren't used passively. If you just hold your shield and wait for it to protect you, you'd get your eyes stabbed. Shields are constantly maneuvered and repositioned.

Literally nobody is talking about the buckler being strapped to the forearm, and I imagine that is because it wasn't. You've just decided that they're using the wrong word.

Targe is a better name for a Cretan Hoplon. There are also records of the scottish targe being used together with a dirk.

Bucklers are held in the hand. Shields strapped to the arm are called vambraces, or possibly bracers.

From the SRD: "This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it. You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an off-hand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a –1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. This penalty stacks with those that may apply for fighting with your off hand and for fighting with two weapons. In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you don’t get the buckler’s AC bonus for the rest of the round."

If people weren't relying on that, then I was mistaken.

Vambraces and braces are both metal sleeve sections. I guess you could deflect attacks with them. Shields (including real-life bucklers) are held in the hand and are as much a weapon as a form of defense.

Strength is really good in 5E.

If strength is your primary stat for your build, always consider Goliaths, moving heavy shit around is strength character's bread and butter. It's also the best secondary save, can't go wrong with athletics either, being able to do shoves and grapples is a big plus.

Strength is also the best 13 stat for most casters, since they can use heavy armor without failure, they just need the prof and stats for it, making fighter dips really great. You don't give a fuck about ranged weapon attacks in 5E if you're a magic-user, you have cantrips for ranged.

Yes, I modified a few PHB feats. Dual Wielder has a bonus damage line, and works for unarmed monks. Grappler allows grappling any creature. Tavern Brawler lets improvised weapons and unarmed strikes be light weapons. I had a warlord from giantitp forums. I work with players to make customized backgrounds, or class archetypes.

So, I heard in the last thread that apparently golls and catfolk have been confirmed as PC race options that're going to appear in Volo's Guide to Monsters alongside the Orc/Goblin/Firbolg trio already teased by developers - can anyone confirm this?

GWM would like to speak to you

Speaking of alternate shields in 5e, I wish they would of brought the tower shield back. I miss my tanky Dwarf fighter from 3.5.

Why not both? Dip 3 ranger for spells, favored and horde breaker, fighting style, go the rest battle-master. If you find yourself doing a lot of hex-crawling, go deeper into ranger, if you find yourself doing a lot of combat go deeper into fighter.

Is Hail of Thorns an attack? Is the attack part and the save completely separate? I'm pretty sure you can't crit with it.

The spell itself causes a saving throw, not an attack. The attack just defines it's area of effect.

I interpret it as not being part of the attack so it cannot crit.

Is there an easy site with all of the wildshape options for moon druids? I know I could scour the monster manual, but the most useful animals/elementals info would be great

While it doesn't give you stat blocks you can filter monster types and CRs on kobold.club to make it easier to find what you want.

If it's not-egypt you could add kinds of damage to it, necrotic, fire, poison. You could give it s burrow speed in sand. You could also force saves on successful attacks but that's a lot of rolling.