Matt Ward appreciation thread

Say something nice about Matt Ward.

his codexes were actually balanced in relation to each other

His work on the Lord of the Rings game was fucking fantastic.

The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game is one of the greatest skirmish systems ever created.

well if codex includes warhammer fantasy, he sort of buttfucked them though.

6e Wood Elves were pretty terrifying, but Fantasy Daemons were flat out broken, while his Orc book was regarded as a thematic neutering mess.

I forget, da fuck is he doing today? is he even with geedubs? Seems like most writers either left or were let go.

>is he even with geedubs?

Nope, haters drove him off

He resisted the urge to make the Grey Knights a bunch of Emperor clones with strength/toughness/etc of 10 each.

And he didn't make them have like a million marines in their chapter because of muh codex.

This.

It's clear he put all his real effort into the good game and then trolled the fuck out of the 40k players.

World Engine was pretty cool, BL novel aside.
His bad fluff was merely a symptom of the shit trajectory all 40k fluff has been taking for more than 6 years now.

He had too much honour and integrity to stick around for Age of Sigmar. He gave his beloved Fantasy a Viking funeral and then walked away into the sunset.

He fucked off long before AoS was a thing. At least three of four years ago.

He wrote good fluff for the 5th Ed Sisters book.

Even had them beat the Grey Knights to a shrine world that was previously lost in the warp, fight daemons to retrieve sacred relics and bugger off before the silver colored nob-heads could even show up.

Also the Bloodtide story isn't a bad idea, just needed a little more room to explain it better.

And I hear he's a nice guy too.

>haters
Haters who were sending death threats.

He wrote the Elves End Times book though.

Apparently he was frustrated/saddened how he'd become such a scapegoat when most of the things the fans blame him for were executive mandates.

Poor guy.

>were executive mandates.

I still dont get why a comapny would force someone to write a book for a faction that they dont like.

Matt repetitively said he didnt like orcs yet he was saddled with 7e orcs and goblins, resulting in an underpowered army with a massive weakness (animosity).

do they draw straws or something?

I refuse to accept that the Mary Sue bullshit and poor writing were mandated by executives.

He said in his blog he wrote the end of the End Times

His fuckups came from him being a fan, not due to malevolence or extreme incompetence.

He's not Cruddace, essentially.

Well, incompetence too.

No.

Mat Ward did nothing wrong and the game was better under him.
What was his greatest crime? Making a nearly perfect Grey Knight codex, which was powerful
because every option was actually worth taking and so more than a single all powerful monolist could compete.
His Necrons were also a blast, focusing on synergy with the royal court.

My spiritual leige

Fak u

His WHFB codexes were unbalanced shit, his work on Orcs and Goblins was shallow and soulless, while his work on Daemons made 7th edition entirely unplayable for six months.

>WHFB

Fuck off you squatted nigger.

The fact that he left GW, presumably over the WHFB/AoS and various other bullshit, I have newfound respect for him.

He was a great ideas guy. Even the stupid stuff could of been saved if he had someone to scale back the special-snowflakiness of them. Hell, some of then where pretty damn good on their own.

The damage he ended up doing to the setting ended up pretty miniscule compared to all the bullshit since then. I guess that's still not very nice, so, how about:

You could tell that he remained a fan first. Probably a total bro-tier person to play with.

He is a snappy dresser.

There's not two of him

He's a fellow 10o

His Necron lore is pretty good

The old CEO would not have gotten canned as fast without mattward

>nearly perfect
Its like you didnt even read the fluff, rules may have been solid but his fluff was everything wrong with 40k.

I made this a couple of years ago.
My offering unto our Spiritual Liege.

Someone didn't play Daemons

He's not Cruddace.

He's not as bad as hitler

I think newcrons are pretty good.

I play orks and win with them all the time.

If he was there now, I'd say that he can come back if he wants.

Considering his good stuff, like LOTR, some of his codexes, the Eldar supplement (can't remember the name for the life of me, the one about the craftworld that nearly got 'nommed so they use Wraith constructs a lot), and some good fluff here and there?

I'd say he doesn't deserve hate anymore.
We all know how the tabletop communitu can go overboard, in good an bad. He was a fan of factions like UM and GK, made them more than perfect. Shit decision, but I don't think he would have gotten that much flak if the GK hadn't been broken to hell and back. Notice how little complaints we hear about GK nowadays when their fluff is pretty much the same.

But anyway, I just think it's sad the guy, a fan like us, got probably disgusted from his favorite hobby because of some bad decisions he made, and some others that were forced unto him.

Anyone knows if he still posts on his blog? And a link per any chance?

He isn't the one responsible for Eldar nor for super-heavies

He's not C.S. Goto.

His Ork codex would have been a lot better than the nightmare we have now.

Seriously someone should have been fired for that shit.

Matt Ward is an absolute fucking cunt.

Mat Ward seems like a nice guy though.

And now GW makes it so you have to be Ultramarines to have a hero as legendary as Sicarius.
It's only going downhill people, no brakes on this train

Iyanden craftworld is the one that got mostly eaten by the Nids.

I fucking love his Newcrons.
And I'm pretty sure I saw him in the credits of Titan AE, which I also fucking love.

He's gone.

He's not Crudfa-
FUCK! Okay, he's not C.S. Go-
GODDAMNIT!

he is pretty sexy 2bh

He wrote the last good Blood Angels codex.

The 5e codex was pretty solid, only thing unbalanced was the weapon options.
But by far my favorite derp moment of the codex was the Brotherhood Champion
>Grey Knight Brotherhood Champion's Anoited Sword lets him reroll all failed to Wound in melee.
>Only wargear he can buy is Digital Weapons (aka reroll one failed to Wound dice in melee)

One problem with the 5e Grey Knight codex was it was written with 6e in mind. Aka power weapons going down to AP3 and hull points... except the transition took too long so we had unstoppable vehicles and I6 AP2 everywhere.

The Iyanden storyline was pretty neatly expanded and gave the Eldar some shiny lore.

>write the Space Marine codex
>to save a bit of work he decides to take a lot of fluff directly from the ancient Codex: Ultramarines, which naturally paints a glowing picture of the boys in blue
>get blasted by everyone for it

Poor guy. I wish he'd never left; honestly he was one of the better guys on the team.