/swg/: Classic Edition

Post about X-Wing, Armada, FFG's Star Wars RPGs, d6, d20 (Saga), movies, shows, books, comics, vidya, lego, lore and everything else Star Wars related

Previous Thread: → # → →

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZkpXpbJ1

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug
armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/
youtube.com/watch?v=s875IgpWNHk
geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!49:-1,-1,-1,-1,-1:35:17:u.183,u.95;179:20,-1:-1:13:;194:100,144,-1:34:17:;10::-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron
geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!49:-1,-1,-1,-1,-1:35:17:u.183,u.95;187:152,153:-1:-1:;70:100,144,-1:34:17:;10::-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let's kick this thread off the ground with a question:

What is your favorite: Single lightsaber, twin sabers or double-bladed saber?

Single. Easier to control, lack of ostentation.

Single saber.

Twin sabers. Switch to single when appropriate, more options, looks less stupid and less likely to cut yourself and not for padawans like double-bladed.

Single shoto and heavy pistol
Do you even operate?

Single saber, green blade.
Blue is a close second though.

>not a dual-phase that can be switched from full length down to shoto for when operating, without leaving yourself as the guy who brought a knife to a swordfight

I kind of dislike that lightsabers have been canonized only by the types we see commonly in media. We see single sabers, then we had Maul's kind of stupid double one, and finally wielding two sabers at once.

Still, single is my favorite. A lack of ostentation and a free hand if you need it. There's also a number variations off of the single template, like Kylo's broadsword-like one, and knife-like minisabers for people who prefer to fight differently, but still like having a knife that can cut through damn near anything.

Of course, the best saber is probably no saber at all, being powerful enough not to have to deal with weapons at all. In the end, it has a lot of power to it when employed correctly, but trying to solve everything with it makes it a liability and impractical, and it also cheapens it.

Single blade, tarnished silver hilt and blue blade that both used to be a lot brighter. Or maybe I just remember it being brighter. Everything seemed brighter back then.

I don't even use the blasted thing, I'm not even sure if it works any more. I just keep it as a reminder of everything that's been lost.

Double bladed

weeeeeeeeeb

I just think it is flashy. And flashy is cool.

Going full weeb would be dual wielding double bladed lightsabers

>then we had Maul's kind of stupid double one
>he thinks Maul was the first double bladed saber

Yup, that's why Yoda's fight in 2 was annoying aside from the bad cgi.

I think one of the best skills to use the Force for would be GOTTAGOFAST, being in the right place at the right time, and just never being where the blow lands like the Silver Horde.

>Everyone I know goes away in the end

>What have I become
>my sweetest friend?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

>thanks to the recent films, hordes of fangirls (and slightly rarer fanboys) are ready and able to write star wars requests free of charge

have you gotten your star wars smut fantasy written yet teegee?

I once got someone to write a costume fetish centric one where kylo fucked rey who was in full stormtrooper armor.

I have no regrets

No, actually I haven't. Where would I find these generous folks?

>kylo fucked rey who was in full stormtrooper armor.

Pic related much?

Fuck. Beat me to it.

I'm way too attached to swoopy, fragile, 3-agility ships. I need some variation in my X-wing fleet, explain to me why I should enjoy bulkier, slower ships more, /swg/.

so my only experiance with x-wing is in jumping into the campaign system, which is awesome, but I'll give it a go.

B-Wings can through out a lot of hurt, and still have barrel roll which is awesome.
Guidance Chip+Photon Torpedoes lets you though out a very nasty first wave, and against things with low/no shields get crit effects to fuck the enemy ship.
The also have a system slot which is really good.

I am going to GM a game of the fantasy flight RPG system and this is going to be the first time ever that I GM and the first time I actually do any table top RPG stuff for like close to 15 years. Any advice for GMing in general or for the system specifically?

There will be a group of 4 players and I have talked to them all and only one seems to be into actual roleplaying and the other three seem like they are just in it for lolsorandom and fighting stuff. They are all friends with each other in real life and I got to know them through video games. My big worry personally is that they will just destroy any semblance of story and kill anything they can come across and me not knowing how to roll with that. I think I will suck at improvisation at first and we will just have a couple of crappy sessions for the first month or two as I get used to it.

well you might have to walk outside your comfort zone but theres a few on tumblr, and a bunch from a site called wattpad (although some wattpaders are pissed at Veeky Forums for having some so called hackers attacking them).

heck theres a star wars rebels one on fanfiction.net. bitches love kanan doing ezra.

/aco/ and wherever else you can find fanfic writers. Probably these threads, too, if Luke/Mara, Jedi Prince, and starships are among your kinks.

ware you talking about rebels, empire, or scum?

why not try a Fat Han or some Tie Defenders

Be creative with Advantages/Threats and Triumphs/Despairs. But don't break the game.

And get your players flipping those light side points like they're going out of style.

>/aco/
The reason I'm asking this fellow is that /ago/ is very bad at actually delivering on requests that they "take"

I'm focusing on scum, but plans to branch into both empire and rebels.

So X-wing campaign build
I've got an x-wing
R2-D2, Photon Torpedoes, Predator, Engine upgrades and Autothrusters.
Going for Push the limit with my next PS upgrade.

Good? I'm thinking of boosting and push the limit to keep my mobility up while doing green maneuvers to regain shields.

U Boat spam is a nice way to lose friends I hear

maybe Broadsiding HLC YV666

I'm working on it I'm working on it!

You could try a Kennel list (aka 3x YV-666). i heard those are pretty fun

>tfw you commission someone to draw your Star Wars clone fantasy I'm expecting the obvious joke, but mine actually involves red hair
Didn't the thread die? I haven't seen the new one in a few days.

>Didn't the thread die?
It did. For a couple of days.
There's a new one up, though

>Missiles are a type of secondary weapons, characterized by the need of a having a Target Lock and discarding the Missile card to Attack.
>Torpedoes are a type of secondary weapons, characterized by the need of a having a Target Lock and discarding the Torpedo card to Attack.

Why does this distinction exist?

It exists as both a fluff and balancing measure.
Fluff-wise, you can't just shove proton torps in a concussion missile tube and expect them to work, and vice versa.
Balance-wise, it works to limit which ships have access to which ordnance.

A wings with proton torps would make fanboys cry

In very broad and very incorrect terms, torpedoes are to be used against big ships while missiles are for starfighters.

Guys I just got the X-Wing core set and I really like it. Only problem is my friends are too cheap to buy their own sets and make their own squads.

What are the best ships and stuff to get so that I can host good X-Wing nights? Looking for a good variety and balance of different ships that aren't too hard for people to learn.

This is the only real way to light saber outside of leaving it on your hip forever while using guns and force powers.

well technically if you wanted to all you have to do is print out the cards and movement dials to save on cash

I'm not that cheap and I actually want a good collection of the ships. I don't mind spending the money but I still want to be efficient/cost-effective.

A second core set, whichever one you don't already have. This gets you 6 of each dice, and some more stuff.

From there, Imp Aces and Imp Vets + A Defender, Bomber, and Interceptor. Rebel Aces and the Falcon + an A-Wing, B-Wing, amd Y-Wing.

Those will get you a solid mix.

Scum when you expand is Most Wanted, a Firespray (works alright for an Imperial big as well), with anything but the Scyk for whatever you feel like getting.

For Imps/Rebs, get the other core set, Rebel and Imperial Aces, and whatever expansions you feel appropriate. I'd go for the T-65, Y-wing, TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, YT-1300, and Firespray simply because they're so iconic. Maybe the TIE Advanced, but Vader is the only one who is really good without the more recent expansions' upgrades.

I'm not much of a Scum player, though, so aside from Most Wanted, I don't know what would be considered essential for them.

the most wanted set on it's own is pretty boring in my opinion, the S&V funtimes happens mostly with the big ships. Or scyk-swarms.

>Everywhere

EVERY DAY, EVERY NIGHT, EVERYWHEEEEERE

Just put my Armada collection on eBay with a heavy heart. Just don't find time to play it. Get a fair bit of x-wing in though. What do people think is the flaw in Armada, does anyone else not find many players?

>What do people think is the flaw in Armada

until recently, fighters are dogshit. and they still sort of are.

rebels only having broadsiding being the only good strategy, until with the new MC80

I never got enough games to warrant buying anything beyond wave 2. For me it was the pacing of the game, slow but it didn't feel methodical just clunky.

also imo armada is more complicated than x wing with their token systems n stuff. so x wing, almost anyone can pick it up in 15 minutes, whereas armada might take an hour and requires some decent critical thinking

and I guess a final note that in xwing, the fighters are relatively to scale (hell, the Corvette may actually be to scale with the rebels retcon).

armada has to take shortcuts, otherwise some models would be too big. the MC80 mini is like 2 nebulons long! so it is a little off putting that the ships are a little arbitrary

Yeah I get where you're coming from. It's a shame really because the idea of big fleet battles in the Star Wars universe really got me going. Maybe if this doesn't sell I'll give it another shot

Blue lightsaber with a full handguard, single-bladed but but but there's like a blaster built into it so I can use it as a GUN or as a LIGHTSABRE and and...

well its not like its the first time we got a star wars ship combat game

there was another that came with like two captial ships. cant remember. was like 10 years ago or so

I have that it was made by wizards of the coast I want to say. It was also terrible.

if I had a boatload of cash, I would totally hire a hentai doujin artist to make a story around a shota luke skywalker and a shota han solo rescuing a mature and busty leia, and they all get tentacle raped in the garbage chute

there was also the papercraft games

hell I bought a bunch of packs (they were like $1 each at half price books) and one pack came with like 4 z95s that are honestly not that off scale with x wing.

I feel ya bud, I'm in the exact same position. Another core set is a must, preferably the one you don't have but a duplicate wouldn't hurt either. Never enough TIEs of either type, and X-wings are always useful, especially for casual games. Imperial+Rebel Aces are a great next step, and/or the individual ship blisters they contain. Also wouldn't hurt to get Z-95s to give Rebels some cheap fighters too, which can be used for Scum/Villainy as well.

If you get Imperial Aces, the Interceptor expansion is basically a must as well just because you get the People's Champion in that pack but not in Aces, and Soontir Fel is widely agreed to be the best Interceptor pilot.

I have a box of those back home, mostly clone wars-era ships though.

What are those models? They look really cool.

another issue with armada is that in xwing, a build is pretty straightforward

but in armada you have 2 forms of a ship, and then a shit ton of slots with upgrades. The choices become a bit overwhelming. especially since they have to print a command person of every single token

What? It's pretty simple and straightforward if you read the card and match the symbol.
There are sites like this that help put lists together piss easily.

armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/

I've just bought the core set, and I think none of my friends is gonna get into Armada, so, some buyer's remorse.
Guy in the group has a bunch of X-wing, and he lets us mooch off him, should I do the same and invest heavily onto it so he can mooch off me?
I don't even know where to start expanding my game, or if I even should.

Armada does have a pretty small player base. Check your local game store. Hang out and chat with people playing X-Wing, ask if they've ever given Armada a go. You might just find someone.

I feel like armada requires minimum investment. I think if you get the core set and 1-3 "expansions" for each faction, you'd have a rather solid amount of gaming choices. Play a few games with just the core game, you should at least be able to get some of your friends to check it out, and you'll get the feel for what other ships you might want.

Armada is expensive, so that's the first barrier. Then it just comes off as complicated (even though it actually pretty simple). Constructing a decent fleet at 400 pts is a pretty daunting task at first since all the options are kind of overwhelming, and with wave 3 and 4 approaching this makes it even more overbearing for newer players. Unfortunately all these negative things are pretty front loaded so it deters people from even trying it. This thing requires a lot of investment physically and mentally.

Which sucks because I love this game. It has a lot of flaws obviously but good fucking luck finding another game - tabletop or video - that provides a similar experience without wasted effort on land combat or political shit.

Ive heard people say that it is really good and feels like a proper space battle game, but the high entry fee & learning barrier are killing it.

Maybe in a few years, when people are jumping off of it we can get some nice secondhand models for cheap

>pic related is gone forever and Nu-EU (see aftermath) will be another 5 years of lgbt teens and young adults

speaking of which, anyone got any top tier star wars reading suggestions?

The image quality is so poor I can't even read that panel well enough to know, let alone care, about what piece of Star Wars fan fiction you're so upset over.

>anyone got any top tier star wars reading suggestions?
"A New Dawn" was pretty good.

If you want to have people to play with, yes.

Honestly the game isn't that expensive. I've bought one of each ship expansion and done fine. Doing that in X-wing is going to cost you an order of magnitude more right now, and its release schedule is faster.

I've been playing Armada since release, and while I love the game dearly in many ways it does have some problems.

-First is the $100 core. Stupidest decision FFG has done with the game I think. It just puts so many people off buying it, even though it comes with a metric fuckton of stuff. Should have been $80. Also unlike X-wing you only need one core.

-It is a very cerebral game, and a good chunk of it is won or lost in deployment and choosing initiative/objectives. The problem with this is, it still takes a while to play. So you can be stuck there playing out a game you know you've lost for a good 30 minutes. That's not fun.

-Its community is still tiny. I live in a major West Coast city, and we can barely scrape together four people for our monthly Sunday tourney. Hopefully this will slowly start to get better, but I'm not counting on it any time soon.

Waves 3/4 look like they're really going to expand the game though, and are going to give both sides some options that they desperately needed. I'm looking forward to it.

>a major West Coast city
just fucking say it
even if there were only two players on the west coast, nobody would know who you are

Zahn, Stackpole, Allston.

top-tier
thrawn (trilogy and hand thereof)
X-wing (aside from 5 and 9)
the Han Solo Adventures
The Han Solo Trilogy (it gets a bit YA at times, but is overall breddy gud)
Mid-tier but still worth reading
I, Jedi
The Truce at Bakura
Scoundrels
the obi-wan and anakin OJO YA books
liquor-tier
Jedi Academy Trilogy
Darksaber
Jedi Prince series

After seeing this guy do terrible terrible things with a Vessery + Ruthlessness + Tractor Beam combo: youtube.com/watch?v=s875IgpWNHk

I've gone and rererevised this list:

geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!49:-1,-1,-1,-1,-1:35:17:u.183,u.95;179:20,-1:-1:13:;194:100,144,-1:34:17:;10::-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron

What do people think? As you can see it's got multiple elements that /swg/ has suggested such as the Officer Shuttle - Omega Ace combo, and the numbers are padded out with an Academy Pilot.
The Defender itself is a Glaive instead of Vessery because this build doesn't leave lots of opportunity for Vessery's ability to go off, and the extra point can go into MK2 engines.
I was tempted to go for an initiative bid, but I don't think it'll come up that often.

Old Z-95 Headhunters

We really should have had more F14/15 types of fighters in Star Wars with swing wing geometry.
Because its fucking sexy

>geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!49:-1,-1,-1,-1,-1:35:17:u.183,u.95;179:20,-1:-1:13:;194:100,144,-1:34:17:;10::-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron
Expose on a TIE is a deathwish, I personally would change Omega Ace to Omega Leader with his classic loadout (Comm Relay+Juke) and the Glaive to Vessery so you will most likely be able to use his ability since O.Leader needs a tl.

There's nothing wrong with that, and certainly Vessery + Omega Leader is a great combo, however the Omega Ace is really more of a decoy, the idea being that you can either concentrate on the Omega Leader, or the Bomber Shuttle, or the TIE Defender, but you can't cover all of them, and any one of them will do great work.

Another consideration is that I don't have access Omega Leader, Juke or Comm Relay.

Ultimately the proof will be in the pudding, as it's all very well theorycrafting, but we won't know for sure how well a build works unless we try it.

Something like this?

geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!49:-1,-1,-1,-1,-1:35:17:u.183,u.95;187:152,153:-1:-1:;70:100,144,-1:34:17:;10::-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron

No Comm Relay on Omega Leader because he can bum a TL off the TIE Shuttle and it allows the Academy Pilot to upgrade to a Epsilon TIE/FO, but that could easily be reversed if it proves untenable for lategame.

Comm Relay is too useful to drop, it allows OL to bank the evade for Juke, then bank a TL and focus up the rest of the game.

>Another consideration is that I don't have access Omega Leader, Juke or Comm Relay.
Well consider that he comes with everything you need to play this build out of the box and the TIE/fo expack is pretty cheap.

So. Marek Steele in a Defender.

How do we build him?

VI, and then either TB+/D or X7

What was wrong with 5 and 9? Isn't the first WQraith Squadron Book 5?

>The Han Solo Trilogy (it gets a bit YA at times, but is overall breddy gud)
What's YA about working for the Hutts?

And speaking of YA, the Galaxy of FEAR books are breddy good even if the first one is orders of magnitude away from normal Starwars power levels.

Calculation and X7

I'm starting up Heroes of the Aturi cluster with some friends tomorrow. Anybody have experience with it? Any recommendations?

>Book 5
He's probably referring to Isard's Revenge, which is Stackpole's weakest X-Wing novel. Doesn't really add much to the galaxy, some of the plot points are rather silly, and the dogfights are relatively lackluster compared to the previous Rogue books. You can skip it and move on to Wraith Squadron without missing anything important.

>Book 9
Mercy Kill was a solid entry but doesn't compare to the original Wraith books in terms of action, pacing, and scale. Plus, Allston is forced to deal with the baggage of writing in a post-Vong setting.

That said, it's still funny as fuck and the new Wraiths are great. Turman and Scut are, hands down, the best things to happen to the Wraiths since Wedge's custom TIE flight suit.

Ideally, you'd want to read Isard's Revenge after the Wraith novels anyway. The Wraiths outright predict it, and it's glorious.

Do you guys have experience playing a game of x wing using scum ships as "mercenaries" that both the alliance/resisitance and the empire/first order can use?
Obvs not in a tournament, I'm talking about playing casual games with your friends

>still no Havoc in X Wing

waaaaaaaah

>geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!49:-1,-1,-1,-1,-1:35:17:u.183,u.95;179:20,-1:-1:13:;194:100,144,-1:34:17:;10::-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron

Here's my take on that list, the Omega Ace build is great, if maybe a little over costed for what you'll realistically get.

I do not, but I can very quickly state that it'd be of far greater value to the Empire than it would the Rebels. Not only do the Rebels share more ships with Scum/Villainy than the Empire (Z-95, Y-wing, Hawk vs Firespray), the Empire's ship line is fairly uniform.

While the Rebels would be able to access large-size ships that aren't Corellian freighters, it wouldn't give them many new fighter options. On the other hand, Imperials would have access to eight new fighters to complement their various TIEs, and several new large-size ships.

So my buddy is starting up an Age of Rebellion game and I'm not super familiar with the system. Any tips for character creation? Any essential choices? Any trap options?

Is the game even any good?