WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

>Previous thread:

Sorry, it's really hard to take a good picture.
Here's a better pic of my nob

made a start on Zoraida for my malifaux stuff. skin on the face isn't quite done yet but should give a rough idea of the shade i'm going for.
I'm not really sure how i'll be painting the rest of the model yet, just sort of making it up as I go along.

Vallejo white primer is nuke proof.

I give you this warining, since 20 models are gone to shit due since I can't strip the paint out of them.

You mean you can't get it off at all or it just leaves behind a very slight layer?

What do you think. Made changes from my last post.

Isn't it the Valkir and not the Stormtroopers that most people are using for conversions?

Can't get it off.

I have a shitton of the old style Lizardmen (that used to come in the starter box). They're really boring and all look the same.
Pic is what they all look like.

Anyone have any ideas of how I could give them some variety? Some ideas for using green stuff or maybe even affordable bits I could order?

forgot pic

Heavy trooper, Storm Trooper, and mono pose marine from black reach.

The problem with Storm troopers, is that 40k guns are way to huge for them. Heavy are too bulky for SoBs but easier to use 40k bits and guns (reason I'm using those)
Storm come with weapons, but look very tinny, the heavy come with heavier looking guns, that work on storm troopers.

Now I have 20 Heavy Troopers, that Vallejo white primer fuck me over.
10 Storm Trooper that will be "count as" for priest, and simulacras.

I miss her 1st Ed floppy tits

I was thinking of getting the Grishnak Battle Sisters when they come out, with RH Icariates as Seraphim and DF Valkir as Celestians (using the Veeky Forums fandex that makes them baby Terminators). I'm just worried that they won't look cohesive enough, even if I use the same heads across the army.

The Dark Vengeance 40k box they sell for cheap.. Are the space marines in it purely Dark Angel branded or can they safely be used for any other chapter (like my Ultramarines).

File off or cover over the winged sword emblems and they can be anything.

Had a thought about Sabbat helms. With a little trimming and greenstuff, I think Skiitari Vanguard heads could work.

>40k guns are way to huge
Would sculpting on sleeves help circumvent that? It could add more bulk and allow for some creative repositioning.

You may remember this guy from the previous thread...

Oh boy, do I.

Well, the good news is that much improvement has been made.

Nice recovery

lol thank you

Converted Renegade Knight for my Necron army. C&C welcome.

>Slowly building up our own OP image by the combined effort of anons.
Glorious.

Teehee

Not too bad. Got to work on those mould lines and drill your barrels though.

Make a light box and use 2 lamps.

Hey, /wip/ I'm going to hobby lobby Monday, and was wondering what useful things I could get from there?

I'm 99% sure they'll have a drill bit small enough to drill barrels and to make holes to pin with, unsure if they'll have any sort of wires to pin with, and unsure if they'll have any "Good" brushes to use, not the $5 cheap packs.

Also, what paints should I use for a mud base and rocks? I know Stirland Mud for the texture paint, but I don't know what else. I'm going to be using small clipped off pieces of sprue as rocks on my bases and was thinking of using Celestra Grey with maybe Ulthuan grey or Pallid Wych Flesh as a small layer over them? Unsure really. I've also heard that drybrushing the Stirland Mud with Terminatus Stone is good, but I don't know about that either.

>started in 2010
>never finished

Weapon changes from the current or previous sets. Different shields.
Feathers and head dressed perhaps. Little bits of metal, learher and hide armour.

I actually think these guys are great lizardmen models. Just need a little variance.

I'd hunt down 1st and 2nd edition bolt guns ans weapons they tended to be slimmer.

>photo sideways
>not cropped
>flash obscuring some details

learn2photo/10

>open book
>no dickbutt

disappointment

Hard to tell with that shitty lighting, but it'd probably look a lot better if you made those big fucking lenses more glow-y. Or not blue.

Better yet, not blue and glowing.

Just started assembling the models in pic related. I've never done anything like this before, up until now the only thing I've done is paint Reaper minis. I can't imagine doing this ad nauseam for fuckhuge armies. I'm already discouraged and ready to quit with my lackluster fifteen soldiers.

Finishing up a Hearld of Nurgle...

You mad Tau fagz??

Anyone seen or know any good conversions of this guy?

I'm tempted to get the new heroes pack but I'll never take a captain equipped like him.
Just the fact he's so uncustomizable is a big turn off, especially when you're paying so much for him.

Also, anyone know if I can attach a standard jump pack to the chaplain like normal? Footslogging chappies are useless to me and everyone else.

Sadly no, the left shoulder is locked in place and the gun is fused with the torso front, so it's really a lot of cutting for a small payoff.
Maybe you can shave off the gun and put in a left hand bolt pistol with the barrel pointing into the air, then do a simple head/arm swap after that.

It gets better

I'd use for a vet serg. My armies vet sergeants are all old games day captains and shit like that though.

b-but assembling miniatures is one of the most fun things about this hobby.

I'm with you buddy, painting is when the work begins.

depends on what you are painting desu.

Pic related is what i consider the most annoying part; gluing sand onto the bases (and later painting it brown)

Assembling sure, but I find cleaning the mold lines to be the worst and most frustrating.

protipp: listen to a nice podcast or audiobook while doing it.

So I got some Vallejo air paint and the stuff is amazing, it just seems very easy to work with.

Can someone inform me what the difference is between the model, game and air paints in the range?

If there is no difference, i'm not gonna buy another citadel paint again.

model and game are about the same
there is model air too btw

air is pre-thinned (intended for airbrush as the name suggests) thats the difference.

model colors are more "realistic" colors for military kits mostly. greens, browns etc.

Please excuse the sub-par photos, I really can't into skills right now. But here's my Cadre Fireblade WIP. Since he's an infantry leader with a bulkier chestplate, I stuck a spare CSM torso front to a Necron Praetorian backpack with the bulbs removed. Details filed down and voila, a barrel-chestpiece with gorget and big cowboy beltbuckle to paint the Fire Caste symbol on. Then stuck an antenna on the back so the orb acts like a communications device.

Milliput work is not finished yet, not happy with how the chest looks.

Is there any reason against using the air stuff just for normal brush work? surely it being prethinned is a good thing?

relatively speaking it's a little more expensive (as it is pre-thinned, rather than you adding your own thinner), but other than that there are no significant downsides to using VMA over VMC or VGC.

For certain applications I can see VMA having a few downsides (drybrushing is trickier as the paint is so much thinner), and you'll have more control by thinning it yourself.

Other than that they are all good paints.

A fast painted miniature. Now I'll just add something to the base.

One important note, there is also Vallejo Game Air now, which is basically an Air variant of the brighter range of Game Colors.

Very useful for us Tabletop gamers that don't want to use realistic military colours exclusively.

user here names a few good points since i'm lazy i always buy the air version if both exist.

It has risen again! Sir Daniel Fortesque, see? The Hero of Gallowmere who fell at the first charge! The fog of war and the shrouds of time conspired to turn the arrow fodder into the saviour of the day..

But we knows better.

That was sarcasm

His face cries for mercy, really, looks like a transgrender on gay parade. And sword glow looks wierd.
Rest seem to be fine, just thin yer paints and use smaller brush for highlights.

dude, neat

Wires to pin with? You mean paper clips that you can get by the hundred at the corner store for a dollar? That will be the perfect size for your pin vice drill bit?

Ah, one of those people that insists people are one hundred percent sure that they are a twat.

I don't speak Brazilian, sorry.

Clearly you can't read English either. Your attempt at humor also just make you look stupid.

Your mission to showcase that you are a stupid twat has been a success!

Now you can leave a job well done. You have done all that you are good at at life. You can rest for the remainder of the day.

The model still looks like shit with nothing with zero salvageable parts though, as far as I can tell from the extremely bad photos. If you're going to troll /wip/ at least put in some effort.

Then say that or say nothing.
Not everyone is a PRO like I am sure you are.
You lack tact or any useful information, but it seems that is a badge of honour to you so you won't change that attitude any time soon.
You clearly come here to vent your frustrations at the futility of your own life.
Congratulations at being a useless stupid twat.

Finished the Space Wolves Grey muscle definition for the first 10 of 20 of my Tzaangor Cultists. And then their 2 Shaman Champions, but they are mostly red robes with only a tiny bit of blue showing.

If you can't be bothered to paint within the lines, maybe it's time to put down the coloring book instead of bothering people eh?

Love them!
The second from the left... His name is Bob.

update on drycha
how should I paint the hair?

Pulled these ladz from the broth this morning. If all LotD squadboyz have "Flaming Projectiles", which grant them the Ignores Cover USR, what's the point of giving them flamers?

chuck it in the fire that model is rank! My trypophobia is pulsating like a womb

should point out you're a good painter its just beehives give me the heebies

>what's the point of covering the entire enemy unit with templates?

see here

Templates can hit a lot of models, Wall of Death when getting charged, and roasting people in Open Top transports I guess.

SoB player here. Templates are love, templates are life.

When in doubt bring Heavg Flamers

>>what's the point of covering the entire enemy unit with templates?
>Templates can hit a lot of models, Wall of Death when getting charged, and roasting people in Open Top transports I guess.

I was just thinking that since the LotD automatically ignore cover when shooting that it might be beneficial to give them weapons that take advantage of that such as a graviton gun, plasma gun, or missile launcher - the kind of weapon that might already deny you an armour save. Now, with "Flaming Projectiles", you couldn't take a cover save, either!

Well, apart from the Sergeant taking a combi-grav, LotD can't take grav guns/cannons. But you're right about S7 Ap2 Ignores cover being pretty good against a lot of things.

So you can take a Heavy Flamer+Flamer+Combi-flamer, and abuse the fact of a Deep Striking Heavy Flamer, or abuse the slow and purposeful with Plasma Gun+Plasma Cannon+ Combi Plas or other weapon combos. Whatever you want really.

It's 2016.

Hey fuck you, I like coloring books.

pssssst

Veeky Forums

what about this . . .

an "ork" army of the green pigs from angry birds?

Working on Aenur, classic Brian Nelson sculpt. Pretty standard colour scheme, getting the transitions right on the cloak is a challenge.

that is pretty great, love that game/character and a shame he doesn't get enough love. will always be a classic in my book.

since chaplains wear skull masks, it would be cool to make a chaplain version of sir daniel fortesque. sculpt his normal skull head, shape his power armor to be like his knight armor a bit, maybe make the handle of his sword have a crozius shape to count-as his crozius arcanum, slap on a backpack and you're good to go.

Current year? Well ok then.

Hope this posts the right way up.

GBP is weak and I want to place a FW order and get free shipping.

Thousand sons are my dream and there isn't enough available unless I order dozens of helmets/shoulders/torsos or like 5 contemptors

Fuck

Anyone live in Seattle?

nice bulge

I have 18 ksons I picked up as part of a lot that I don't need, they do need stripped but

I'm in the dirty south with no inclination to spend time/money on mailing them

been doing some work on what's ended up as my favorite metal armor attempt so far, and a nice little Iron warriors-esque warband!

this Terminator is finished...

...and this guy is halfway done.

what do you think, did it end up alright, or is it just me eyes playing tricks?

looks pretty damn good m8

am I the only one who prefers indomitus pattern TDA over cataphractii tho?

Pretty nice. I like the wrecked bare steel look they have.

I like it just fine, it's just that Chaos Terminators are a mix between good and a bit silly. parts are great, but mostly I's not the best.

it's mostly the retarded tusked helmets that do them in IMO, here's an old WIP of mine without the tusks. squad has been done for a while but can't be fucked to take a new pic atm.

Thanks, I get that a lot.

I think they look fantastic, don't really have anything to add that would improve it.

Well done.

Sorry for the meme, but this was exactly what I felt

Thank you! That's a pretty nice idea, I may make a power armoured zarok for a csm sorc!

sorry bro, if I wasn't already a broke college student who shouldn't be playing 40k anyway I really would just send them to you

>bothering people

At least they post wip instead of *just* bothering people.