Repeatable 5e dungeons?

So I'm thinking of implementing a system whereby players can repeat dungeons in my 5e game. It'd be similar to WoW where they can repeat it as many times as they wish, the boss will always respawn. It'd basically be explained with dark souls logic of time being fractured at this "dungeon". The high level loot/rare stuff would be an extremely low drop rate like 1-5% if that, just to make it harder to exploit. Do you think this is doable or would it be too difficult to implement/explain/abuse by the players?

Ignoring the fact that it's really fucking dumb to try and turn tabletop into a videogame, you can rest assured that the players will find a way to abuse the everloving fuck out of what is essentially infinite resources.

Jesus christ just play monhun or vindictus or some shit you fucking knuckledragger

+2 to all stats every time someone enters the same dungeon twice, as the instance taken is one that has not been surmounted yet.

I think I would only do this if there was a plot relevant reason to go back

> plays 5e cancer
> has to rand gem dungeons because he is too lazy and untalented to come up with a real story

Checks out.

Why would they ever have fun doing that?

Why would you waste multiple sessions on players hoping to beat a boss for "rare loot"?

I mean, if you don't have a plot and you just want to fuckin roll dice and have combat, there's no need to make excuses or try and come up with a "story" reason for why you can do that.

What the fuck are you even trying to say? What context does that even have?

No, just a new dm, wondering about new things i never heard about in tabletops

Let me be the first, but hopefully not the last to tell you this:

You are retarded. You are, in fact, too retarded to function.

Your parents should have ended you at birth.

Your existence makes this hobby worse as a whole.

Or to put it more... gently, OP you seem to be missing one of the main advantages of tabletop compared to vidya. The reason that WoW has content that the players are required to engage with repeatedly is because dungeons and the like take time and resources to make, when you consider it all the assets involved
Tabletop RPGs don't have this restriction, so why saddle yourself with it?

Thanks! But you should stop being a heartless person. Just a curious question to guage feedback. And the feedback was negative, see? So the answer is simple, i don't put it in.

Well thank you for the reasonable answer and taking the time to explain.

I have to ask, did your player actually ask for this?

If they did they are weird fuckers.

If they didn't then you need to talk with them and listen to what they expect and want out of the game. That's going to be a better indicator for how you should run things than anything we can tell you.

>The high level loot/rare stuff would be an extremely low drop rate like 1-5%
No, either your players do the dungeon once or maybe twice and happen to get lucky (so one person has a really sweet sword or whatever) or they farm the shit out of it like nobody's business.

I'm fine with the idea of repeatable dungeons, though make sure the local economy can handle them hauling out cartloads of loot constantly.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, that sort of thing isn't a bad idea but I'd probably just tweak it so that it's now up to their current level, though that's going to take a bunch of work.

I could maybe see a plot based around a single (or several) such dungeons with each time they go in there's an identical dungeon with different enemies and challenges (and maybe differing levels of wear and damage), but I'd handle it more like Chrono Trigger than WoW (so each one you go to has at least some relevance to the plot, and changes to one are reflected in later versions of it, rather than "lol farm this for a month").

>But you should stop being a heartless person

Oh, cry me a river, dickface. You should have the common fucking sense to not post retarded-ass shit, when you could have probably googled "Am I a complete retard?" and gotten the same answer.

Take your pills faggot.

Almost like a trial? Would that work for a guild, per se? Either innitiation or advancement challenges? Ive pretty much abandonned the farming idea, i admit that was something i didnt think through

>drop rate like 1-5%
What the hell are you even doing with drop rates?
Any treasure is either directly and clearly in use by monsters, or sitting somewhere in the dungeon.
Whether or not the players /recognize/ the opportunity for treasure (ignoring a non-obvious magical weapon, not recognizing the silk dresses in the tatter wardrobe as valuable, not chasing down the escaping orc that took a bag of gold with it, not finding the hidden compartment, etc) is another matter. But all of the treasure is always available.

I actually didn't know that. Like i said I'm a new dm; but thank you for letting me know that

That wouldn't be bad. If some adventuring guild knew of a dungeon they didn't have to restock and that would always be at a fairly consistent level of difficulty then it would make a great entrance exam or what have you.

Or you could have the game be based around "why the fuck is time in this dungeon so fractured, go do it a shitload and find out why so you can fix it," though that one might be a bit tough for a new DM to pull off well.

Okay so what if it were like the tree from Empire Strikes Back where the enemies would be illusions and not drop loot but serve as a test?

Although i really like the second idea too

That's not do say treasure doesn't have a random element though.

Most game books will include treasure tables to roll on, both those are for convince (not having to come up with something on your own) when /planning/ adventures.

I don't think it's a question of can it be done. It's more of a question of SHOULD it be done. Unless there's significant lore reasons for it or your party is all vidyafags who absolutely love dungeon crawling I just don't see a point. From a video game's point of view yeah, it's great, but this isn't a video game.

That could work, though you'd want to make sure it's pretty fast. Not all players are motivated exclusively by loot and XP, but it can wear pretty thin to spend more than a session or so on something that gets them neither. Ideally, probably have that be half-ish of a session (depending on how long your sessions are).

You also need to be a little careful with illusions in most ttrpgs, since characters can disbelieve them and then ignore most of the challenges. You can handwave that with those being SPECIAL illusions that can't be disbelieved or some shit, because the guild put some sweet enchantments in the place or it's got some kind of natural property that does that (and that's why it was chosen for that place).

Dragon Age 2.

Well if i do it like what is being suggested, of course id have a lore element in there to explain and give it purpose, but i suppose you are right, its not a video game, so why make it one?

Yeah no itd be a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am kinda deal but challenging enough to serve its purpose. But yeah that illusion thing would be difficult to keep going if the players are able to figure it out. Maybe it's best to leave well enough alone.
>shrug

OP, you could try making dungeons random. Make a table for random rooms, hallways and such (several probably already exist) and just roll for what comes next after the party clears each segment.

Thats a good idea too. So like roll for rooms, then for monsters and loot or such?

This might be useful to OP

In D&D dungeons are usually repeatable only in the sense that they take multiple expeditions to complete. Old school dungeons were so large and dangerous they could not be completed in a single mission. PCs would delve as far as they could before cutting their losses and returning to the surface to sell loot and plan their next move, while the denizens of the dungeon would regroup.

My two responses to this are:

'What'

and

'Stop'

Putting MMORPG logic into tabletop is just going to end in a bad time. However, there are logical ways dungeons can be repeatable!
>Hidden loot and lore stuff that the players didn't find the first time around.
>Insurmountable challenges with crazy good rewards that become manageable once players get a few levels under their belt.
>Factions, factions, factions! If the players clear out certain monsters, other monsters from lower levels of the dungeon may come up and take their place.
>Passages and rooms may close off while new sections of the dungeon are opened up to explore.
There's tons of possibilities that are way more fun and interesting than "Shoot, I didn't get the rare drop. Let's run this again." and I encourage you to fully explore those possibilities.

Even if it's just murderhoboing this doesn't seem like it would be satisfying, they'd just face the same (slightly stronger) shit over and over to grind their way to legendaries.

One word.
"Don't"

>when your /b/ is showing this hard

Suggestion coming later, but first.

DO IT!! okay hear me out all you fuckers who called him retarded, make it part of the story. make the story about time unraveling disturbances, and that certain areas have been known to attract these rifts and disturbances.

heres what i can suggest to OP, every time they re-enter have some things change, like doubles of enemies because ones form different timelines came, have traps that were once too old to function now work this time around, have parts of the dungeon become dilapidated and now the players have to find a way around. and the best yet, make the boss see his own death from the past and now he knows what to expect from the players and what they can do.

This can actually work (a few times)

but OP, don't make them do it the WoW style of just for XP and Loot, make them do it for the main quest, they have to enter to close a time rift, or collect a shard from the rift, or an object that doesn't belong here, ins tea dog them saying "we want to go back in again!" have whoever gives them the quest say "you have to go back in again"

user, considering the OP's reasoning for re-using dungeons, do you think he could pull off time travelling shenanigans story-wise?

Go ahead and do it, OP. Call it Groundhog Day. Every morning, they wake up (or res) and get to repeat the same dungeon endlessly. But they get to keep their loot and XP!

The cycle is broken after the 23,664th loop, when the players realize the true meaning of tabletop RPG and forego all loot, deliver onto the dungeon denizens faith in our lord savior and teach the trolls how to play the piano. Just prepare for loops 25 to 21,998 where the players go on a murderhobo rapefest.

>being a new gm
>not buying and preparing one of the pre-made, introductory scenarios for new GMs

Why?!