EDH/Commander General

Custom Commander Edition
>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Topic of discussion: Custom Commandersoftware? What is your opinion of them? Does your group allow them? Have you ever used one? How was it? Has anyone in your playgroup used any? How did that go? Is there any custom Commander you would use that you have seen or made?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/distortion-command-full-possible-list-deck-work/
magiccards.info/query?q=ci:GRB o:destroy o:artifact o:enchantment&v=card&s=cname
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-06-16-BVv-omnath-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/malfegor-gets-crazy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Those custom commanders are really sweet. I especially like the RWB one - maybe because it's competition is really shit atm

I don't think you need to specify "aren't on the battlefield" in the fourth one.

the temur guy seems pointless as hell, also not sure you can "reveal" a card from an already revealed zone, only from your hand or library

Those commanders are pretty awesome. They don't look too overpowered, and they look really interesting to play. I'd totally make a deck around Hallos, or Vairn especially - he seems like everything I'd want in a commander!

As for the questions:
>What is your opinion of Custom Commanders?
I think custom commanders are pretty cool, if done right. Some people either get the templating super wrong, or have abilities that are absurdly overpowered or off colour, which is annoying. But, done correctly, and obviously pitched to your playgroup beforehand, they could be awesome!
>What is your opinion of them?
I've never asked my playgroup if they'd let me use one, and nobody else has asked. I don't know what their answer would be.
>Is there any custom Commander you would use that you have seen or made?
I'd totally use Vairn, and love him forever. I've seen a few other custom commanders that would seem interesting, but I never saved them.

>playing with custom cards

Thos cards look like shit desu. Anyways I got one of the promo cards with 3 packs today. Got a foil blind obedience so my question is am I only able to use it in decks with w/b?

Extort has it's W/B hybrid symbol in its reminder text, which technically isn't considered part of the rules text for the card. So you can use Blind Obedience in a mono-white deck.

Do I build Grenzo as RB weenie fetcher or do I get big guys with him? What are the staples for Grenzo?

>Mono white

But that's good to know. Gonna use it in my WU deck

>that Temur general
Temur needs more commanders to be honest
If it's balanced and good, why the hell not?
>Have you ever used one?
Haven't asked.

>that fucking WBG commander
Jesus christ on a platter that's the most broken shit. Please tell me that's the one you picked. The only one even close is the mardu one.

I don't see the issue as long as everyone in your playgroup is doing it and have agreed to the power level of the other cards being played.

If you're not forcing your shit anime cards on strangers at your local shop, then where's the issue?

All your customs are shit.

>That Sultai Commander
>Manifest it
>Not just return it to the battlefield face-down

I can't wait for the quad color commanders.

All custom cards
>Hey, what color should this be? I know. All of them.
>Do I need to make sure the color identity is well represented in the rest of the card? Nawwwww.
>Is this insanely broken within five minutes of brewing? Iunno, print it, let's find out.
>What's formatting?

So I just learned about this card, and I really like it. Seems pretty good for the cost, and I happen to have a naya deck to put it in. Explain to me why I am wrong.

Not instant speed, reversible

There's nothing wrong with it. Its a decent temp removal card

Cant get it with sunforger

Those are actually old versions.

Manifesting them allows you to turn them face up by paying their mana cost instead of turning them face up forcefully with the triggered ability if you need to.

All green legends should have a generic mana cost, because they are green. Also boggles arent black or white at all so why is there a junk boggle?
Dalus should make all creatures you control elementals in addition to their other types for flavor
varin doesnt even make sense, it should be more logically worded
"When a creature you control dies, return that creature to the battlefield face down. (They're 2/2 creatures.) This wording removes tokens from the game without being pants on head retarded.

>also not sure you can "reveal" a card from an already revealed zone, only from your hand or library

You can. It's like how you can reveal a card from your hand even if your hand is already being revealed thanks to Telepathy or reveal the top card of your library when you have Future Sight.

There's technically nothing in the comp rules associated defining where a card can be revealed from, so it's only limited to any zone you are instructed to reveal from or any zone you can activate the ability from.

>Also boggles arent black or white at all so why is there a junk boggle?

Are you saying Hexproof is all it takes to be a Bogle?

>varin doesnt even make sense, it should be more logically worded

What is there about it that doesn't make sense?
"Manifest" just means "Put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature", so it technically just reads "Whenever a nontoken face-up creature you control dies, put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature."

You can turn manifested face up as a special action by paying their mana cost, so it's functionally different too.

Get stuff like Junktroller, Tel-Jilad Stylus, and stuff to order your library's bottom. He tends to be built as either Goblin Tribal or Weenies.

Worse than swords to ploughshares in a format where life is meaningless.

But then, newsflash, most removal is worse than 1 mana instant speed exile based removal, so who cares

Going with the topics:

I like looking at custom cards in general. I think custom cards are acceptable to use if everyone in the playgroup is using custom cards, and only using them against custom cards.

>Does your group allow them?
No. I have brought up the idea before since our meta is getting stale, but no one seems interested.

>Is there any custom Commander you would use that you have seen or made?
Not that I can think of off-hand.

You dont even need the non token wording, tokens fizzle when they hit the graveyard, you can keep the manifest crap on there but you are being overly wordy with a card for no reason.

>When a creature you control dies, return that creature to the battlefield face down.

You need to touch up your templating. "When" is only used if the condition is expected to happen once, like a permanent entering the battlefield. It should be "whenever". You don't say "return that creature", because by the time it's in the graveyard it isn't a "creature" anymore, it's a "creature card". You say "return that card".

Some cards like to specify nontoken even when it would make zero difference, because that makes things clearer to players. See Nim Deathmantle for an example. If a creature died and you could use Nim Deathmantle's triggered ability, you wouldn't get it back either way, but they put "nontoken" on it so people wouldn't try to do it.

>you are being overly wordy with a card for no reason

It's just minimizing unnecessary triggers and making things more obvious to inexperienced players. That's just how Magic rules text is nowadays, and besides, you're saying it's "overly wordy" for one word.

What a fucking waste of an EDHG

You have your own containment thread

I've been thinking of doing an edh league (starting pauper then moving up from there) where your general is a custom legend that you get to build off of a chart with X points. As you progress through the league you get more points....the only problem is that i'm having trouble with pricing things

High-tier decks run too many non-basics to use it reliably. But if your deck isn't super-high budget, it can be pretty good.

>non-basics
A ton of those non-basics are just fetches that are grabbing a Mountain you could use anyway.

>there are people who don't have at least 4 basic lands in a deck

In, say, a three-colored deck, you'll need to have both a card to grab a basic mountain, plus this card. Yes, you'll have a mountain more often than not... But there'll still be times when you don't, and you want your removal to always be active. Enough hoops to jump through, and sooner or later Journey to Nowhere will ends up being better value. Hell, Journey To Nowhere is arguably better anyway; it costs one more mana, but isn't vulnerable to land destruction.

>All green legends should have a generic mana cost, because they are green.
Hahaha, good one.
>Also boggles arent black or white at all so why is there a junk boggle?
Ah shit, are you retarded?
>varin doesnt even make sense, it should be more logically worded
>"When a creature you control dies, return that creature to the battlefield face down. (They're 2/2 creatures.)
Oh damn, you are retarded. Sorry about that.

When are we getting more cards (helpful, supporting ones hopefully) for all the smaller tribes? I want my fucking myr deck and I don't want those gross changelings in it! Also skeletons and those poor fucking samurai.

You do realise that sacred foundry is a mountain right?

There will still be times when you have this card in hand but not something that will fetch it.

Admittedly, my experience comes largely from decks where the people involved were willing to buy whatever cards they needed... that were below twenty dollars. So mana bases more expensive than normal for casual players, but no non-basic mountains other than Madblind.

Having thought on it, the real reason for the lack of play is probably because it's vulnerable to two different types of removal instead of just one.

>haven't played in weeks
>overwhelming urge to build something
>no fucking idea what to build

H E L P
E
L
P

God damn, Sevros would be crazy. Instant speed Wraths? Jeskai Stax would be fucking nuts

>packing that with a Numot and Shu Yun in the 99
>obliterate mana bases left and right
Yes please

Build a rare tribal deck. Cheap, fun, and janky. Do eet.

>rare tribal
What, everything at Rare or Mythic? That's a silly idea

Maybe Mazirek bugs tribal

Skeletons are the biggest bitch tribe that they still bother printing, and now their signature ability isn't being done anymore. I feel sorry for my skelebros.

How do we feel about Future Sight? I see more and more lists running the card and I've run it myself a few times but without top deck manipulation it doesn't seem -as good- as I want it to be.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know how powerful playing lands and cards directly from the top of your deck is, I've just run into the problem of running into multiple lands with the card.

Maybe I should just succumb to UG so I can run Future Sight AND Exploration effects.

I assume they mean "rare" tribal as in not shit like Humans, Zombies or Elves.

It is a powerful card advantage machine if your playgroup doesn't have a lot of ways to remove enchantments, but otherwise it is expensive and fragile and has the chance to whiff like you mentioned. It is very good if you run cantrips and top though, plus combos with a lot of things

but then how will my hermit druid mill my entire library?

So, under-supported tribes like Myr?

He did say "janky", yeah.

I'm in love with this Dalus.
The return to hand clause at the end sounds like a disadvantage at first, but it's actually amazing if you flip a noncreature, and it manages to feel like all of its colors even with such a simple effect.

>I've just run into the problem of running into multiple lands with the card.
draw the card if it's a land.

I need some help, Veeky Forums. I've almost finished working on the deck I've always wanted ever sense i first started playing magic: full colorless EDH. However, i am 20 cards over limit and need some help. I just love brown too much and cutting cards at this point is painful. I want the deck to succeed, so any feedback is appreciated but most of all i need suggestions as to what to cut. Thanks.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/distortion-command-full-possible-list-deck-work/

>guy rolls in with a deck worth like $3k
>talks mad shit about its powerlevel and how it's almost never lost
>your jank deck worth less than a tenth of his gets online immediately and skullfucks him

There is no better feeling

i get this with my newzuri deck so much

people forget just how much insane synergy it has and suddenly they're staring down a 23/23 unblockable hexproof ezuri

Doesn't Ezuri 2.0 boost other creatures?

Also he's usually a huge target when a deck with him shows up in my group?

you get experience counters when you cast creatures with power 2 or less, and when combat begins, you put +1/+1 counters on a creature equal to the experience counters

he either gets absolutely rekt or moves too fast to be able to be dealt with

there have been a couple times where someone totally underestimates it and then they lose by like turn 6

Nigga re-read his second triggered ability and come at me with that shit again

are you getting asshurt because i didn't write the "on your turn" part

dude calm down

No, because you didn't put "another"

You can't boost UG Ezuri with his own ability

I'm building a Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck where I damage into big beaters. Anyone have any good suggestions for me to play. I know the Eldrazi bombs are good, but I'm looking for other killer cards to ramp out with Rakdos.

shit

dude i can't fucking read and neither can anybody else fuck

shit

I'm trying to use the gatherer link frm the op to look up Jund artifact/enchantment destruction (other than decimate and hull breach). which filter option is for 'destroy' 'artifact' and 'enchantment' ?

Not the other user, but you have a creature in the precon pack that lets you move counters to other creatures, just to get around this.

Also, if you're not running sage of hours do so!

Here's a list. Don't forget that Krosan Grip is the best.
magiccards.info/query?q=ci:GRB o:destroy o:artifact o:enchantment&v=card&s=cname

Anyone have any recs for an Omnath, Locus of Mana deck?

dude sage of hours is my shit

i took that other dude out forever ago because not enough value

looks like i'll go back to pumping invisible stalker forever then

99 Basic Forests

>playing newzuri instead of master elfball race swagzuri

Thanks bae.

>not Borborygmos Enraged

He's playing the monogreen Omnanth

Forgot link
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-06-16-BVv-omnath-edh/

I meant the strategy of using only lands is more suited towards Borborygmos than Omnath

Ah gotcha.

What's your favorite commander, Veeky Forums?

Godo

Only the best for me.

Daretti is runner up.

Mai Waifu

Well...

This was my take on a five-colored Ally Commander, before Tazri was revealed.

Go to EDHRec and hit random. Whoever comes up is your next commander.

Tell me about Braids. Why does she where the braids?

I fucking love artifacts.

...Tamanoa.

EDHRec's added some new features, it seems.

Well when she, Lorthos the freshmaker, and Tromokrasis hang out what else are they going to do?

God dammit

Let me stop you right there. I'm gonna have to refuse.

Dude, look how broken that commander is. 6 hits and you kill an opponent!

>not building Good Art Tribal with that at the helm

This is going to be fucking sweet.

Well, it's been fun, guys, but it looks like I'm quitting EDH.

That second ability is actually pretty sick in a reanimator deck.

i cri evry tiem

He's one of the three commanders people run apostles with, for that very reason (The other two being Shizo and Athreos).

B I G B L U E
A
B
Y

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/malfegor-gets-crazy/

Critique my Malfegor deck plz

hey Veeky Forums I am having trouble with deciding on a deck.

I am trying to build Jenara, Asura of War.

Do I go Enchantress? +1/+1 shenanigans? Bant Angels? Bant goodstuff?

Also what is the opinion on Privileged Position in a non enchantress deck? Is it a waste of a card slot or is it still good enough for being a better asceticism?

Should both asceticism and Privileged go in the same deck or just one?

I am very lost right now.